Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

old thread

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    CoteDAzur wrote: »
    I remember my ma' buying that for something like 20 squids in PC World when I was.. About 11. Gosh it doesn't feel that long.
    Those were the days! I bought my copy in Woolworths when my eldest was about eleven (I loved that store!)

Seasons.JPG?dl=0

The background of the Summer shot here shows mum interacting with a toddler in the play pool. Then the video moves on to show the guy getting buffeted around by the wind.

Does this mean toddlers will get a swimwear category? That would be a first for the series
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited May 2018
    Those were the days! I bought my copy in Woolworths when my eldest was about eleven (I loved that store!)

Seasons.JPG?dl=0

The background of the Summer shot here shows mum interacting with a toddler in the play pool. Then the video moves on to show the guy getting buffeted around by the wind.

Yknow actually looking at that picture, the Seasons kind of seem disappointing already.

Look at teens in base-game. There's very little seperating them from adults. Someone recently pointed out teens are restricted from randomly generating facial hair, likely because it makes the already difficult challenge of telling teens and adults apart even harder.

Now take that above philosophy and look at the picture again. Every Season has a different weather effect to make the difference look more drastic, but really Summer and Fall appear to be the only two with a different hue to them, with Summer looking brighter while Fall looks the same as Spring, but with different colored trees. Spring has zero unique features going for it, they just gave it rain in the trailer to mask that.

Winter looks outrageously lazy with zero depth to the snow at all. One could easily mistake the snow on the road with the water on the road shown in Spring. Note that barely any furniture objects are shown in Winter in this entire trailer, the best exception being the trash cans 22 seconds into the trailer. Do you see snow buildup on those trashcans...? I sure don't. I wonder if there's much snow textures put on top of furniture items at all, or if Winter is perpetually half an inch of powder at best.

These aren't exactly looking like the most vibrant Seasons ever...

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    1. Can we control what weather we experience like in Sims 3 options menu?
    2. Can we select what Seasons we experience in game like Sims 3/2 Seasons?
    3. Are holidays back and if so how do they work?
    4. Can we finally trick or treat at people's houses with someone home unlike Sims 3 Seasons Spooky Day?
    5. Is there a new world?
    6. The Sim survived lightning strike and is now using it what is that?!

1. Looks like we can control the weather as mentioned on the Origin page, word of add/control the seasons. Whether it's like the older games or a new UI feature I'm almost certain it will be there for rotational players in mind.
    Are we actually sure about this? The only thing I can find is from the key features, saying "every world’s climate is unique and impacts your Sims’ choices, relationships and daily activities. Control the elements to summon thunderstorms, clear up overcast skies or jump between seasons." It sounds a bit like each world has pre-made season length and you can change them a bit with some in-game item/ability (like the weather stone from TS3 or something)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

Seasons.JPG?dl=0

Yknow actually looking at that picture, the Seasons kind of seem disappointing already.

Look at teens in base-game. There's very little seperating them from adults. Someone recently pointed out teens are restricted from randomly generating facial hair, likely because it makes the already difficult challenge of telling teens and adults apart even harder.

Now take that above philosophy and look at the picture again. Every Season has a different weather effect to make the difference look more drastic, but really Summer and Fall appear to be the only two with a different hue to them, with Summer looking brighter while Fall looks the same as Spring, but with different colored trees. Spring has zero unique features going for it, they just gave it rain in the trailer to mask that.

Winter looks outrageously lazy with zero depth to the snow at all. One could easily mistake the snow on the road with the water on the road shown in Spring. Note that barely any furniture objects are shown in Winter in this entire trailer, the best exception being the trash cans 22 seconds into the trailer. Do you see snow buildup on those trashcans...? I sure don't. I wonder if there's much snow textures put on top of furniture items at all, or if Winter is perpetually half an inch of powder at best.

I think we should could cut them a big slack?They seem to be a lot new 9bjects, and features in thr game.Sure the weather looks a bit lackluster,but I m sure we aleasr get a lot of activities still.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member

Seasons.JPG?dl=0

I think we should could cut them a big slack?They seem to be a lot new 9bjects, and features in thr game.Sure the weather looks a bit lackluster,but I m sure we aleasr get a lot of activities still.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Snow is a pretty important feature in an expansion pack called Seasons.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2018
    aws200 wrote: »
    1. Can we control what weather we experience like in Sims 3 options menu?
    2. Can we select what Seasons we experience in game like Sims 3/2 Seasons?
    3. Are holidays back and if so how do they work?
    4. Can we finally trick or treat at people's houses with someone home unlike Sims 3 Seasons Spooky Day?
    5. Is there a new world?
    6. The Sim survived lightning strike and is now using it what is that?!

1. Looks like we can control the weather as mentioned on the Origin page, word of add/control the seasons. Whether it's like the older games or a new UI feature I'm almost certain it will be there for rotational players in mind.
    Are we actually sure about this? The only thing I can find is from the key features, saying "every world’s climate is unique and impacts your Sims’ choices, relationships and daily activities. Control the elements to summon thunderstorms, clear up overcast skies or jump between seasons." It sounds a bit like each world has pre-made season length and you can change them a bit with some in-game item/ability (like the weather stone from TS3 or something)

I never said It was certain in any of my responses, but here's the reference I was on about, if you look at the Origin page. It says Add/Control, I can only speculate, which I have.

dNs66IX.png
  • Options

Seasons.JPG?dl=0

We should cut them some slack for seemingly not bothering with snow buildup? A basic bread-and-butter feature of Seasons that every previous rendition has had??
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member

This is the third time EA has created a Seasons Expansion Pack. Plus, on top of that, while it should be a base-game feature at this point, they've taken - what - four years to make it? They should really have this down by now.

Not saying that there isn't anything neat about this EP, but I am saying something like snow on outdoor objects should be taken care of. They had this in The Sims 2, eleven years ago!
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    @DeservedCriticism
    I think deserved criticisms can wait until the pack is released, only then we'll know if there's build up, and a grainy printscreen isn't going to give you your answers. Can we try keep it positive please, as me and many others are pretty excited, I'm sure there's a thread for those who won't be buying it. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, but I don't like it when people tell others how to feel about an image.
    They were talking about the trailer and not a screen? And it's a valid question.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    ohmyohmy wrote: »
    I saw a swingset :) and of course the small swimming pool! I hope toddlers can play in it.

Someone in another thread said they saw a mother playing with her toddler when the toddler was in the pool -- it could be similar to the bathtub where the toddler needs an adult to use. (Cue the "recycled animations" complainers -- hey, we don't have to reinvent the wheel in every pack...)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @DeservedCriticism
    I think deserved criticisms can wait until the pack is released, only then we'll know if there's build up, and a grainy printscreen isn't going to give you your answers. Can we try keep it positive please, as me and many others are pretty excited, I'm sure there's a thread for those who won't be buying it.

Please show me where this thread says "no negative outlooks allowed." I'm pretty sure the forum rules themselves explicitly state all feedback should be welcomed.

Go through the trailer, pause and look around whenever Winter is on screen, and you'll find there's a grand total of five seperate objects exposed to the sky:

One mailbox
    Two trash bins
    One stack of gifts
    One wooden reindeer
    One Christmas tree

The wooden reindeer is the only one with any snow on it, though this could easily be written off as a skin of the reindeer since it's an object designed to be outside that's being released with this pack. Every other object shown lacks snow buildup completely.

Here's my rationale: this trailer's purpose is to convince us to buy the pack, so of course they're gonna show us the best of the best. No company on earth says "it's time to make a trailer to convince people to buy our pack. Let's purposefully avoid and hide the features people wanna see while showcasing other stuff!" I sit here asking "why isn't it shown in the trailer," and given how it seems like they went out of their way to keep objects out of sight in winter (the trash bins and mailbox being objects that can't really be moved because people would notice if they went missing), I'm left to conclude they probably didn't bother too much with snow buildup.

And this begs the question: how does snow appear on the ground? Is it a gradual buildup like the last two games, or does in just suddenly appear ala our teleporting shadows that we already have?

You can cling to things you like if you please, but I want to scrutinize something before I buy it. Looking at the seasons themselves, there seems to be room for scrutiny.

EDIT:
    I keep looking and only find more evidence. Keep an eye on the garden parasol and the grill at the very beginning of the trailer when the title pops up. Zero snow build-up.
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    @DeservedCriticism
    I think deserved criticisms can wait until the pack is released, only then we'll know if there's build up, and a grainy printscreen isn't going to give you your answers. Can we try keep it positive please, as me and many others are pretty excited, I'm sure there's a thread for those who won't be buying it. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, but I don't like it when people tell others how to feel about an image.
    They were talking about the trailer and not a screen? And it's a valid question.

It would be a valid question if it was a question, and sadly we won't have a greater answer until later on.
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    @DeservedCriticism

It would be a valid question if it was a question, and sadly we won't have a greater answer until later on.
    Yes, until then we can see what is shown in the trailer, which shows quite alot of the 'non' snow. I've already asked SimGuruKate on twitter if it's a glitch or intentional.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    rhysbarrett8rhysbarrett8 Posts: 100 Member
    I hope that they change the world screens depending for which season that your in, i think it would be a really cute detail
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @DeservedCriticism I edited my answer to you a while before you replied in regard to the opinion comment, so I'm not going to respond twice. It's great and all that you're scrutinising the trailer you watched, by all means don't buy it if you're unhappy, obviously.. However I watched it and I liked what I saw personally, and I don't really fancy being instructed to do more research, as I've done plenty, or not buy the game at all per your advice, I appreciate it, thank you.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Did I see lightning powers after that Sim was struck by lightning!?? I hope that wasn't just a cute special effect thing he did
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    However I watched it and I liked what I saw personally, and I don't really fancy being instructed to do more research, as I've done plenty, or not buy the game at all per your advice, I appreciate it, thank you.

You engaged me!! I never addressed you at all until you told me I should stop.

If you want to do your own thing and be left alone, by all means. Simply afford me the same luxury and it's all good.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    All I need to know is: where are the beach activities. No sunbathing? Playing in the sand or surf? Beach parties? Swimming in the ocean?

Please, EA, I've been waiting nearly four years to have Sims do more things at the beach other than fishing or chasing the wildlife. Don't tell me that we'll have to wait for yet another pack?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    However I watched it and I liked what I saw personally, and I don't really fancy being instructed to do more research, as I've done plenty, or not buy the game at all per your advice, I appreciate it, thank you.

Oh my. I didn't mean you directly told me, calm down.
    Your first post came off as very instructive as to what you believe people should be disappointed with. I don't want this thread closed as I was enjoying reading the other answers, so please don't turn it hostile.
  • Options
    MissTripsMissTrips Posts: 86 Member
    I am super thrilled by all the new gardening game play. Botanist career, bees, floral arranging? Wow, finally we can do something with all the flower plants! It also looks like they are adding in even more curly hair, which is so awesome. I've always loved having seasons in my sims games, perfect sunny weather all the time? Bleah! Perpetual autumn in vampire town, blistering summers in the desert, a snowy vacation in Granite Falls? Yes please!
    1cf96556-e72a-4628-a805-602355bf82a0_zps9cde3287.png
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Unfortunately I haven't seen the ski stuff or any evidence of swimming in water that isn't pools. Hope splash pools can be used by toddlers too.
  • Options
    MissTrips wrote: »
    I am super thrilled by all the new gardening game play. Botanist career, bees, floral arranging? Wow, finally we can do something with all the flower plants! It also looks like they are adding in even more curly hair, which is so awesome. I've always loved having seasons in my sims games, perfect sunny weather all the time? Bleah! Perpetual autumn in vampire town, blistering summers in the desert, a snowy vacation in Granite Falls? Yes please!

That's something I was thinking about too! The vacation places, although minimal, I think will be greatly improved with Seasons. Like staying in your Selvadorada residence cuddled up listening to it raining in the jungle, or going camping in the Summer with your sunscreen on and whatnot. It would make them feel much more.. Appropriate, plus it's a nice feature to actually dictate the right time to go on holiday instead of just whenever in the perpetual sun.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Your kids can be scouts and earn badges. Omg. My day has been absolutely made. Edit: I'm guessing maybe even teens/possibly Y/A can too. This is glorious.

Well, that's new.

I'd used GT to create boys and girls scouts with cc uniform shirts. At least the badges would give kids something to work towards that doesn't have to do with school.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

If you want to do your own thing and be left alone, by all means. Simply afford me the same luxury and it's all good.

Caom down,lets not make this into a fight.