Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4's development is ending?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2018
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Gelysen wrote: »
    I think the sims 4 has a longggg way to go and I'm very happy about it. The game doesn't feel like finished materialto me at all and theres loads of areas they can still explore, I also know quite some people who've always said ''I won't buy the sims 4 until they release pets'' that have bought the sims after pets came out and are now very much enjoying the game.

So if I already know 4-5 people who didn't want to buy the game before they released Cats & Dogs, I can imagine there being heaps more who thought exactly that, which would explain the growth of the game since Cats & Dogs was released.

There's also loads more stuff I would love to see in the sims 4, both new stuff and things like we had in other sims games. I loved the sims 3, but sadly even with a very new and beefy gaming pc it would load very slow and take forever to do certain things (With all the eps and stuffpacks installed and no cc)

So, you want to waist another 200$ instead until it does? Wouldn't you rather an actual game, aka one that holds its own as a base game? Like all other games in the world?

Uh no - this is the Sims. This is the way it works and the way it always worked and why the Sims is the best selling pc games of all times - because it is not like all those other games in the world and why so many of us are simmers. This is the Sims and I suggest if you are not happy with how it works and think the rest of the games you speak of in the world is better - I suggest you go play those games you think are so much better. Sims game work because they are constantly changing and renewing themselves through the life of each series. Unlike those other games you speak of - that often bore me to tears after seeing it never change where they at most add to it a new section. Sims though is almost a growing living thing, ever changing, ever building itself for the life of the game. It is why Sims game stand apart from ALL THOSE OTHER games - it's one of a kind.

Been a Simmer for over 18 years and like the way the game works just fine. It is amazing to see the game go from base game to last pack over many years - so look forward to the extended time allotted to sims 4. This formula works for The Sims - other wise it would not be the best selling game of all time.

Aren't you the same one also complaining of the Sims T rating? It's always been T rated and always will be. That's also never going to change. The games creator wanted it that way. Actually he said E or T.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited February 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Gelysen wrote: »
    I think the sims 4 has a longggg way to go and I'm very happy about it. The game doesn't feel like finished materialto me at all and theres loads of areas they can still explore, I also know quite some people who've always said ''I won't buy the sims 4 until they release pets'' that have bought the sims after pets came out and are now very much enjoying the game.

So if I already know 4-5 people who didn't want to buy the game before they released Cats & Dogs, I can imagine there being heaps more who thought exactly that, which would explain the growth of the game since Cats & Dogs was released.

There's also loads more stuff I would love to see in the sims 4, both new stuff and things like we had in other sims games. I loved the sims 3, but sadly even with a very new and beefy gaming pc it would load very slow and take forever to do certain things (With all the eps and stuffpacks installed and no cc)

So, you want to waist another 200$ instead until it does? Wouldn't you rather an actual game, aka one that holds its own as a base game? Like all other games in the world?

Some of us like The Sims 4. Infact, a huge majority prefer it. When you visit #theSims on Tumblr, or Facebook groups etc. its 90% Sims 4.

Considering The Sims 3 had to compete with The Sims 2 for the longest time, the adaption rate for TS4 is pretty plum high. The player base grew 40% in July - September 2017. Normally the Sims games by then are about to wind down, by The Sims 4 keeps growing.

And EA know this which is why they're investing in The Sims 4 more than any other Sims game (The Sims 4 console including DLC, The Sims Mobile launch).

So yeah, we want The Sims 4 to finish when it covers everything.

I'm sorry you're unhappy but I'm sure The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are good enough.

But that's not a need to tell people they're wasting their money just because you don't like it. Evidence shows that's a minority statement.

---

Also, the comment about the base games being complete is super subjective. The Sims 4 now has way more to offer than The Sims 3 base game even with all patches.

The Sims 3 base game barely has anything to do apart from go to work or rabbit holes. There's no skill or hobby objects apart from Guitar, Fishing, Gardening and Painting. Sims are basically all the same with the same interests when there's no variety in what Sims can do. There's very few avenues where Sims can explore.

The Sims 1 basically had nothing. Just the structure. The Sims 2 is probably the #1 base game.

The Sims 4 has more careers paths, more hobbies and activities for Sims to do (even down to a variety of musical instruments, workbenches etc), more venues to visit, more Create-A-Sim and Build Mode assets.

Actually the base game was never meant to be a complete game but it was meant to be exactly what it is a called - a BASE game - in other words a stable FOUNDATION on which to build this particular series on. Never was the Sims base game meant to be anywhere near a full game. That would be like calling a house foundation built on an empty lot - your home - before the house is built on the foundation. It is why the foundation is just the bones on which to flesh out the series. It is why a base game should not have anything but the basics to start growing the game.

Let say you move out of your parents home into your very first apartment - do you miraculously have all the stuff in your new place your parents spend 2-3 decades or more adding to their house in your apartment - or are you like most people who are just moving to their first apartment - and move in with bare necessities and little by little you add to your apartment until you reach a point you can call it a home. You apartmment was your base game - your starting point - and needs to grow.

It's why I disagree when folks talk of adding seasons and pets - etc to a base game - as then it's not a stable foundation - it is then starting out like any other game out there. No longer a base game to build on, to grow, to change, and to finally reach completeness. Games with all kind of stuff in them are a dime a dozen - they are everywhere - but there is just ONE The SIMS game and that is what always makes it so special and so different than every other game out there. But no base game should ever be a complete stand alone game. It needs to grow.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    "The Sims 4 was designed to take more content" - yea, sure. More like it was designed to take more dumbed down content, because that's the only way they can release more add ons for this game. They portion it into very small bits so we have the illusion it's doing well, better than TS3 did, but the truth is, TS4 is just like any other sims game. It has its limits and I really can't see it lasting more than 6 years or so.

I'm sure 2019 is not the last year for TS4 but speculating about a decade long lifespan is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Here, I'll just put in a question from just one of the Investors and the resulting answer from one of EA's heads - and you tell me who is speculating what. This was just a few days ago at the 3rd quarter Earnings call:

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
    Operator
    (Operator Instructions) And your first question comes from Goldman Sachs.

- Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Research Division -
    Research Analyst
    So you called out live service revenue growth of 39% in the quarter, and I don't think we've seen that level of growth, quarterly growth since fiscal
    '15. So I was wondering if you could help us understand the components of that a bit better, in particular, what drove such a strong acceleration
    in growth.

Blake J. Jorgensen
    - Electronic Arts Inc. -
    Executive VP & CFO

The Sims 4 added a substantial amount to extra content live services.
    The continuation of our successful content packages that we shipped with The Sims 4 was very strong during the quarter. And then as we brought The Sims 4 out on console, that also started that process for the console side of the equation. So we're excited about the continued long future of The Sims 4 down the road.

we are not speculating as you can see. That's one of the heads at EA that tells Maxis what they can and can't do - keep that in mind.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited February 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    agustd wrote: »
    "The Sims 4 was designed to take more content" - yea, sure. More like it was designed to take more dumbed down content, because that's the only way they can release more add ons for this game. They portion it into very small bits so we have the illusion it's doing well, better than TS3 did, but the truth is, TS4 is just like any other sims game. It has its limits and I really can't see it lasting more than 6 years or so.

I'm sure 2019 is not the last year for TS4 but speculating about a decade long lifespan is just ridiculous.

Here, I'll just put in a question from just one of the Investors and the resulting answer from one of EA's heads - and you tell me who is speculating what. This was just a few days ago at the 3rd quarter Earnings call:

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
    Operator
    (Operator Instructions) And your first question comes from Goldman Sachs.

- Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Research Division -
    Research Analyst
    So you called out live service revenue growth of 39% in the quarter, and I don't think we've seen that level of growth, quarterly growth since fiscal
    '15. So I was wondering if you could help us understand the components of that a bit better, in particular, what drove such a strong acceleration
    in growth.

Blake J. Jorgensen
    - Electronic Arts Inc. -
    Executive VP & CFO

The Sims 4 added a substantial amount to extra content live services.
    The continuation of our successful content packages that we shipped with The Sims 4 was very strong during the quarter. And then as we brought The Sims 4 out on console, that also started that process for the console side of the equation. So we're excited about the continued long future of The Sims 4 down the road.

we are not speculating as you can see. That's one of the heads at EA that tells Maxis what they can and can't do - keep that in mind.

"long future" is subjective. It can mean anything. Makes no sense to continue with TS4 for that much longer than previous iterations because the crippling amount of content is hurting sales in the long run. You're insinuating anything other than believing TS4 will be running for more than 6 years or so is speculation but I'm gonna say all we do here is speculation, your opinion as well.

All I'm getting from that is "we're going to continue releasing content for as long as it makes sense and since we're doing fine now we don't have a set in stone date" not "we are surely going to be releasing content much much longer than we did for previous games"
  • Options
    edited February 2018

The CEO announced they were extending the shelf life of ALL of EA's big games with the Live service last year even - so not speculating at all. They are extremely pleased with the sells on Sims 4 - they talk about it at the Earnings call.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    You have to take anything EA says with a grain of salt. I'm sure they had a long life span planned for Mass Effect Andromeda as well and within 6 months of release the series was put on ice for an indefinite period of time. "Things change" that should ring a bell for sims fans. They may have long term plans for sims 4, but time will tell how long it actually lasts.

EA CFO isn't the man calling the shots the CEO is and often times those two will say things that don't jive with each other. Look up remarks by both of them concerning Loot Boxes, MTX and the closing of Visceral games and you will see inconsistency in their remarks.

Like I said, time will tell how long they will milk the cow.
  • Options
    kimieswildroseskimieswildroses Posts: 116 Member
    I loved Sims 2 was a great game. Sims 3 i liked but good grief did it took forever to load. There was so much in that game and it had so many bugs i didn't enjoy it as much as i did 2. Now for 4 i was so disappointed when it came out spend 60.00 for an incomplete game made me sick 3 and a half years later i am really into this game i like it. It runs smooth. I think they should just keep building on 4 keep making it a better game i for one am not ready to sink another 200+ into a new game.
  • Options
    mmoblitz wrote: »
    You have to take anything EA says with a grain of salt. I'm sure they had a long life span planned for Mass Effect Andromeda as well and within 6 months of release the series was put on ice for an indefinite period of time. "Things change" that should ring a bell for sims fans. They may have long term plans for sims 4, but time will tell how long it actually lasts.

EA CFO isn't the man calling the shots the CEO is and often times those two will say things that don't jive with each other. Look up remarks by both of them concerning Loot Boxes, MTX and the closing of Visceral games and you will see inconsistency in their remarks.

He is the Executive Vice President of EA and Chief Financial Officer.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I loved Sims 2 was a great game. Sims 3 i liked but good grief did it took forever to load. There was so much in that game and it had so many bugs i didn't enjoy it as much as i did 2. Now for 4 i was so disappointed when it came out spend 60.00 for an incomplete game made me sick 3 and a half years later i am really into this game i like it. It runs smooth. I think they should just keep building on 4 keep making it a better game i for one am not ready to sink another 200+ into a new game.

I totally agree with you on the Sims 4. But I also still love Sims 3 and Sims 2 as well. I'd still be playing Sims 1 if my pc would play it - knowing me. LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    marnie_reymarnie_rey Posts: 2 New Member
    > Actually the base game was never meant to be a complete game but it was meant to be exactly what it is a called - a BASE game - in other words a stable FOUNDATION on which to build this particular series on. Never was the Sims base game meant to be anywhere near a full game. That would be like calling a house foundation built on an empty lot - your home - before the house is built on the foundation. It is why the foundation is just the bones on which to flesh out the series. It is why a base game should not have anything but the basics to start growing.
    It's why I disagree when folks talk of adding seasons and pets - etc to a base game - as then it's not a stable foundation - it is then starting out like any other game out there. No longer a base game to build on, to grow, to change, and to finally reach completeness. Games with all kind of stuff in them are a dime a dozen - they are everywhere - but there is just ONE The SIMS game and that is what always makes it so special and so different than every other game out there. But no base game should ever be a complete stand alone game. It needs to grow.
    (End Quote)

@Writin_Reg

i'm all for adding pets and weather to the base game of TS5 when it comes out, because i'm sick and tired of waiting for the exact same expansion packs for each and every game. that doesn't mean TS5 couldn't be build upon anymore, it would just mean that the expansions for TS5 would finally be new concepts.
    i love the sims, but i'm not going to keep buying the same product over and over again, wondering why i don't feel motivated to play the game for longer than a month or so. i want something new to keep my attention, and that won't happen unless certain things that - at this point - are simply expected to be part of a good simulation - like weather - are included in the base game.

it would be great for the base game to be something that is already playable in itself, at least for the price it's at. i pay 60 bucks for games that are complete and don't need expansions, i don't want to pay that much for the foundation of a game that requires me to then spend 100 bucks or more on expansions - just so it's playable. i didn't buy the sims 4 for that exact reason, i didn't like all the things missing in that game as well as the constant loading screens and the dead world around you.

the base game is supposed to impress and convince you of the game, because it is THE GAME.
    i want TS5 to be an actual game worth expanding. only then will i spend money on it.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited February 2018

All execs fluff their language up for investors. If you don’t believe that then you shouldn’t be investing in corporate stocks. Being naive will get you nowhere.
    Post edited by drake_mccarty on
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    EA/ Maxis should just make the game they want to make and not listen to everyone. No matter how good the game is people will complain. People complain 'Hey I just spent $200 on this game now you've abandoned it, shame on you EA" Then its ' Hey this isn't the game I want why arnt you giving up on it."

I just seen someone post;

"Oh why can't we get danger in the sims 4!"
    and then the new GP gets leaked and it shows "deadly bees" and someone goes
    "Well... I did want this pack but I'm not happy about the deadly bees."

Back on topic, everyone has a personal opinion. But no one is going to get everything they want bee(LOOL had too) it sims 4 or sims 5.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,359 Member
    edited February 2018
    I don't think since EA had told the community grew each quarter.

FY17 Q4 +33% compared to FY16 Q4

FY18 Q1 +20% compared to FY17 Q1
    FY18 Q2 +40% compared to FY17 Q2
    FY18 Q3 +35% compared to FY17 Q3

The Sims 4 is enough popular in order to be maintained several years.
  • Options

Exactly. That's the way I see it too. Sims 4's popularity is soaring finally. I look forward to its future, myself.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    EA/ Maxis should just make the game they want to make and not listen to everyone. No matter how good the game is people will complain. People complain 'Hey I just spent $200 on this game now you've abandoned it, shame on you EA" Then its ' Hey this isn't the game I want why arnt you giving up on it."

I just seen someone post;

"Oh why can't we get danger in the sims 4!"
    and then the new GP gets leaked and it shows "deadly bees" and someone goes
    "Well... I did want this pack but I'm not happy about the deadly bees."

Back on topic, everyone has a personal opinion. But no one is going to get everything they want bee(LOOL had too) it sims 4 or sims 5.

Exactly. People act like 5 is going to be a trillion times better even though the forums will still be as full of complaints (or cheers) as they have this time lmao i guarantee when 5 comes out therell be a hundred threads on what people wanted in base game but didnt get
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

All execs fluff their language up for investors. If you don’t believe that then you shouldn’t be investing in corporate stocks. Being naive will get you nowhere.

Dude where I work we're actively told to always refer to others as being "in a meeting" instead of saying they aren't at their desk at the moment or went to the bathroom or something because it markets the company and gives the impression of us being large, credible and busy.

I really think people underestimate how calculative companies can be, but I don't understand it cause it's not like you have to go far to live that stuff.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Sims 1, 2 and 3 were popular too. That didn’t stop them from releasing a successor. Not saying they’ll follow the same path, but popularity doesn’t have anything to do with that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

Exactly. That's the way I see it too. Sims 4's popularity is soaring finally. I look forward to its future, myself.

Me too. Each time I read you posts, your enthusiasm catch me.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sims 1, 2 and 3 were popular too. That didn’t stop them from releasing a successor. Not saying they’ll follow the same path, but popularity doesn’t have anything to do with that.

Yes, there are more facts like the stability, TS3 reached its limit.
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member

TS4 is starting to show its limits as well, like, they can’t just keep increasing the population cap with each new world, eventually they’ll reach an end point, and new worlds are the driving force of most packs because that’s the only way to get more space to play. This whole game is targeted at lower end pc players and as a result it’s going to age in quality so much faster than any other sims game, and once the casual players can no longer claim to be able to run the game because of the weight of all this dlc, then the hardcore players with their gaming rigs are going to question why are they still supporting this low quality game when the player base it was aimed at can no longer play with all the content.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @keylimepiesims

But do you really think Maxis can make TS5 better than TS4 in only 2 years ?

When I see how the people was angry in 2014 when TS4 was released without Toddler, I think this time Maxis will take more time to develop The Sims 5.

1 EP per year is more time to develop the EPs and maybe it's also a trick to buy time for The Sims 5 development.

There is no gain to end The Sims 4 now.
  • Options
    TeoKnowsBestTeoKnowsBest Posts: 81 Member
    Hello everyone. I didn't expect so many replies.

Okay. I should explain myself: I got pretty paranoid since a lot of articles about "Sims 4 ending" and "Sims 5 coming in 2019" are everywhere on the internet now, and I had no idea that the devs said that it won't end. Sorry for triggering so many people lol. Didn't mean to do that! But just because some people don't know as much as you, it doesn't mean you have to judge them. Thank you.

Origin: TeoKnowsBest
  • Options

TS4 is starting to show its limits as well, like, they can’t just keep increasing the population cap with each new world, eventually they’ll reach an end point, and new worlds are the driving force of most packs because that’s the only way to get more space to play. This whole game is targeted at lower end pc players and as a result it’s going to age in quality so much faster than any other sims game, and once the casual players can no longer claim to be able to run the game because of the weight of all this dlc, then the hardcore players with their gaming rigs are going to question why are they still supporting this low quality game when the player base it was aimed at can no longer play with all the content.

You make an excellent point.
  • Options
    @keylimepiesims

But do you really think Maxis can make TS5 better than TS4 in only 2 years ?

When I see how the people was angry in 2014 when TS4 was released without Toddler, I think this time Maxis will take more time to develop The Sims 5.

1 EP per year is more time to make the EPs and maybe it's also a trick to buy time for The Sims 5 development.

There is no gain to end The Sims 4 now.

People were angry because EA was shipping out a game that spent the vast majority of its dev time as an online social/multiplayer title that was then scrapped and reworked into what we got and pawned off as a huge necessary upgrade even though it did and still does less than it’s predecessor The Sims 3.