Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4's development is ending?

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    mmoblitz wrote: »
    I don't think I want to see a sims 5. It will probably have loot Boxes and or a mobile games type monetization. Even more likely, it will be playable on mobile devices.

I wouldn't worry, I don't think they are done milking this cow quite yet.

Then why would they be proceeding with The Sims Mobile? I think there's enough room in the Sims Universe for multiple platforms -- we had Sims Freeplay alongside The Sims 4 for years, now we have Sims Mobile and Sims Console. The PC versions can do things that no other platform can, when you consider the ease of adding mods and CC. (Haven't played consoles since the SNES -- yeah, I'm old -- so not sure if console technology has extended to mod/CC installation/use.) So far mobile games are not moddable.

I don't see how providing content that adds features to the game is "milking the cow". Unless that's a reference to the farming pack that everyone wants. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Gelysen wrote: »
    I think the sims 4 has a longggg way to go and I'm very happy about it. The game doesn't feel like finished materialto me at all and theres loads of areas they can still explore, I also know quite some people who've always said ''I won't buy the sims 4 until they release pets'' that have bought the sims after pets came out and are now very much enjoying the game.

So if I already know 4-5 people who didn't want to buy the game before they released Cats & Dogs, I can imagine there being heaps more who thought exactly that, which would explain the growth of the game since Cats & Dogs was released.

There's also loads more stuff I would love to see in the sims 4, both new stuff and things like we had in other sims games. I loved the sims 3, but sadly even with a very new and beefy gaming pc it would load very slow and take forever to do certain things (With all the eps and stuffpacks installed and no cc)

So, you want to waist another 200$ instead until it does? Wouldn't you rather an actual game, aka one that holds its own as a base game? Like all other games in the world?

Some of us like The Sims 4. Infact, a huge majority prefer it. When you visit #theSims on Tumblr, or Facebook groups etc. its 90% Sims 4.

Considering The Sims 3 had to compete with The Sims 2 for the longest time, the adaption rate for TS4 is pretty plum high. The player base grew 40% in July - September 2017. Normally the Sims games by then are about to wind down, by The Sims 4 keeps growing.

And EA know this which is why they're investing in The Sims 4 more than any other Sims game (The Sims 4 console including DLC, The Sims Mobile launch).

So yeah, we want The Sims 4 to finish when it covers everything.

I'm sorry you're unhappy but I'm sure The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are good enough.

But that's not a need to tell people they're wasting their money just because you don't like it. Evidence shows that's a minority statement.

---

Also, the comment about the base games being complete is super subjective. The Sims 4 now has way more to offer than The Sims 3 base game even with all patches.

The Sims 3 base game barely has anything to do apart from go to work or rabbit holes. There's no skill or hobby objects apart from Guitar, Fishing, Gardening and Painting. Sims are basically all the same with the same interests when there's no variety in what Sims can do. There's very few avenues where Sims can explore.

The Sims 1 basically had nothing. Just the structure. The Sims 2 is probably the #1 base game.

The Sims 4 has more careers paths, more hobbies and activities for Sims to do (even down to a variety of musical instruments, workbenches etc), more venues to visit, more Create-A-Sim and Build Mode assets.

Actually the base game was never meant to be a complete game but it was meant to be exactly what it is a called - a BASE game - in other words a stable FOUNDATION on which to build this particular series on. Never was the Sims base game meant to be anywhere near a full game. That would be like calling a house foundation built on an empty lot - your home - before the house is built on the foundation. It is why the foundation is just the bones on which to flesh out the series. It is why a base game should not have anything but the basics to start growing the game.

Let say you move out of your parents home into your very first apartment - do you miraculously have all the stuff in your new place your parents spend 2-3 decades or more adding to their house in your apartment - or are you like most people who are just moving to their first apartment - and move in with bare necessities and little by little you add to your apartment until you reach a point you can call it a home. You apartmment was your base game - your starting point - and needs to grow.

It's why I disagree when folks talk of adding seasons and pets - etc to a base game - as then it's not a stable foundation - it is then starting out like any other game out there. No longer a base game to build on, to grow, to change, and to finally reach completeness. Games with all kind of stuff in them are a dime a dozen - they are everywhere - but there is just ONE The SIMS game and that is what always makes it so special and so different than every other game out there. But no base game should ever be a complete stand alone game. It needs to grow.

The base game was incomplete when it was released, primarily because of the absent toddlers. Since January of 2017, I've considered the base game complete since everything we had in previous base games (pools, ghosts, etc.) has been patched in. And there are items in the base game that were previously restricted to EPs such as musical instruments (and children can play most of them! == that was a major improvement from Sims 3 for many of us), the professional bars and Mixology skill (which was very popular with Sims 3 players and way better than the useless "juice bars"), and actual venues where Sims could gather.

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,448 Member
    edited February 2018
    Note:

When The Sims 5 will be planned, a new Maxis VP will be hired one year before the launch date like Rod Humble (from 2008 to 2010 for TS3) and Rachel Franklin (from 2013 to 2016 for TS4).

The basegame project generally begins when Pets EP is released.
  • Options
    Hello everyone. I didn't expect so many replies.

Okay. I should explain myself: I got pretty paranoid since a lot of articles about "Sims 4 ending" and "Sims 5 coming in 2019" are everywhere on the internet now, and I had no idea that the devs said that it won't end. Sorry for triggering so many people lol. Didn't mean to do that! But just because some people don't know as much as you, it doesn't mean you have to judge them. Thank you.

It will likely end eventually, just as everything else does -- either when they run out of ideas or more likely when they've exceeded the capabilities of the current game engine. They may also be waiting to see where technology goes, for example VR and if an industry standard is developed. With VR, there is potential of a new Sims game where you can actually play and interact as the active Sim, not just watching from on high. Not sure if that sort of play interests me, but it might interest others. A Sims VR could work alongside a Sims 5. Maybe they take everything learned from 20 years of Sims and we get the best of all worlds -- open world but with school and careers "off-screen" other than a few that lend themselves to active play. (I'm not all that enthused about watching a Sim work in an office today, but having them actively working in/operating a restaurant or coffee shop, or training or participating in sports, would be super-cool. More careers with structure like the ones in City Living where you choose each day whether to go in to your "off-screen" office for a day, or "work from home" with a few assignments. NoelleBellefleur has a set of base game career mods (at MTS) that add the CL "work from home" features and they're awesome. So if there is a Sims 5, if they can take some of the stuff that's worked over the past 20 years, and avoid mistakes (rule 1: don't forget the toddlers!), Sims 5 could end up being the best base game as long as we allow them the time to develop it properly.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Note:

When The Sims 5 will be planned, a new Maxis VP will be hired one year before the launch date like Rod Humble (from 2008 to 2010 for TS3) and Rachel Franklin (from 2013 to 2016 for TS4)

Rachel Franklin was attatched to Sims 4 all throughout it’s development (which began long before 2013) and remained the game’s executive producer until 2015 when she was promoted after the exit of Lucy Bradshaw. She was VP for awhile until she exited the company in 2016 to join Bradshaw at Facebook to lead another team creating a “Social VR game”
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sims 1, 2 and 3 were popular too. That didn’t stop them from releasing a successor. Not saying they’ll follow the same path, but popularity doesn’t have anything to do with that.

Yes, there are more facts like the stability, TS3 reached its limit.
    Did the same go for Sims 2? That game was replaced even sooner than Sims 3. And it’s in fact still popular, after all those years. Besides, though I can’t judge this myself (not playing), I see loads of complaints about Sims 4 being just as buggy and glitchy. The game doesn’t come across as stable at all. In fact, even though I’ve not played it that much, some aspects in Sims 3 feel more stable (like when you start the game all sims continue where you left them, which is quite important to me).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @JoAnne65

TS4 is stable... at least as long as EA doesn't recommend to use only 2-3 packs at a time like TS3 :p
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @JoAnne65

TS4 is stable... at least as long as EA doesn't recommend to use only 2-3 packs at a time like TS3 :p
    No, that’s got nothing to do with stability, just with what computer you play the game on ;) I ignore that advice and my game runs fine (with all packs installed). TS4 is anything but stable. Each new addition causes new problems. That doesn’t define stability.

Anyway, I reacted to the idea popularity would be a reason to not end the game. The past games show it’s not, that was my point.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Anyway, I reacted to the idea popularity would be a reason to not end the game. The past games show it’s not, that was my point.

After Mass Effect Andromeda and Star Wars Battlefront II, EA reputation gets negative points.
    Anthem, Destiny's clone planned in 2018 will disappoint the players.

The Sims 4 popularity (this "very valuable IP") is more important now than the previous games.

Samantha Ryan and Patrick Söderlund lead Maxis and BioWare, their policy is different than Lucy Bradshaw.
  • Options

After Mass Effect Andromeda and Star Wars Battlefront II, EA reputation gets negative points.
    Anthem, Destiny's clone planned in 2018 will disappoint the players.

The Sims 4 popularity (this "very valuable IP") is more important now than the previous games.
    I do indeed think things have changed in comparison to the past so in that respect we might agree. But I think they had planned to make Sims 4 last longer than the predecessors from the start. It is possible that those plans were threatened when the game wasn’t popular. So in that respect its increased popularity may play a part, but only in relation to following those initial plans. Well, that’s my theory ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sims 1, 2 and 3 were popular too. That didn’t stop them from releasing a successor. Not saying they’ll follow the same path, but popularity doesn’t have anything to do with that.

Yes, there are more facts like the stability, TS3 reached its limit.
    Did the same go for Sims 2? That game was replaced even sooner than Sims 3. And it’s in fact still popular, after all those years. Besides, though I can’t judge this myself (not playing), I see loads of complaints about Sims 4 being just as buggy and glitchy. The game doesn’t come across as stable at all. In fact, even though I’ve not played it that much, some aspects in Sims 3 feel more stable (like when you start the game all sims continue where you left them, which is quite important to me).

TS4 is very stable for me, and I even just play on a laptop (though it does have an updated graphics card). My save games that I've played for a long time still work smoothly. I have never had a corrupted save like I occasionally encountered with TS2 or TS3. I can literally count the number of times TS4 has crashed on one hand, and I've played a lot (over a thousand hours) in the last year.

Now as far as glitchy? Yes, it can be glitchy at times (occasionally Sims getting stuck, etc.) but I attribute this to programming/bugs, not what the core of the game can handle. It's actually improved lately, a few patches ago they improved the time clock glitches and I don't have Sims standing around doing nothing like I used to have on larger lots.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Note:

When The Sims 5 will be planned, a new Maxis VP will be hired one year before the launch date like Rod Humble (from 2008 to 2010 for TS3) and Rachel Franklin (from 2013 to 2016 for TS4).

But a new Maxis VP & GM was just hired not too long ago (sometime last year iirc).

His twitter: https://twitter.com/nickolls

No way TS5 is coming this year and I doubt they'd hire someone else unless he leaves (for any reasons).
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited February 2018
    TS1299 wrote: »
    If it is a waste, why buy it? You want the era to end because there are a bunch of stuff packs in the game, packs where in they are optional and don't force you on buying it. People always say that they are waste, if they are waste to you, why care on them all? Why won't you divert your concerns to GP or EP if SP are just a waste for you?

HAH. I don't buy them, I most certainly do have more concerns on the EP's, and if you're going to tell me that you're still having fun with ''Get To Work'' and ''Get Together'' then great for you but I personally find it ridiculous to spend 40$ on an EP that entertains me for less than a total of like three hours..
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @jackjack_k
    Um? OBVIOUSLY it's going to be highly rated because OBVIOUSLY it's the majority of people that are into it that are going to be participating on media. If you were to do that survey during the era of TS3, you'd get the same results. Remember all the hate TS4 got in the beginning? Most if not all of those people have drifted away and haven't been spreading anymore hate to it because they lost interest in the franchise, aka they're not participating on some survey on facebook.

If you look at my comment, you will see that the ''waist of money comment'' was literally a question from my point of view, I wasn't telling anyone to do or not to do anything lol.
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    Note:

But a new Maxis VP & GM was just hired not too long ago (sometime last year iirc).

His twitter: https://twitter.com/nickolls

No way TS5 is coming this year and I doubt they'd hire someone else unless he leaves (for any reasons).

... hmm ... strange
    Vice President / General Manager - MAXIS Studio
    Electronic Arts (EA)
    May 2017 – Present (10 months)San Francisco Bay Area
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Gelysen wrote: »
    I think the sims 4 has a longggg way to go and I'm very happy about it. The game doesn't feel like finished materialto me at all and theres loads of areas they can still explore, I also know quite some people who've always said ''I won't buy the sims 4 until they release pets'' that have bought the sims after pets came out and are now very much enjoying the game.

So if I already know 4-5 people who didn't want to buy the game before they released Cats & Dogs, I can imagine there being heaps more who thought exactly that, which would explain the growth of the game since Cats & Dogs was released.

There's also loads more stuff I would love to see in the sims 4, both new stuff and things like we had in other sims games. I loved the sims 3, but sadly even with a very new and beefy gaming pc it would load very slow and take forever to do certain things (With all the eps and stuffpacks installed and no cc)

So, you want to waist another 200$ instead until it does? Wouldn't you rather an actual game, aka one that holds its own as a base game? Like all other games in the world?

Uh no - this is the Sims. This is the way it works and the way it always worked and why the Sims is the best selling pc games of all times - because it is not like all those other games in the world and why so many of us are simmers. This is the Sims and I suggest if you are not happy with how it works and think the rest of the games you speak of in the world is better - I suggest you go play those games you think are so much better. Sims game work because they are constantly changing and renewing themselves through the life of each series. Unlike those other games you speak of - that often bore me to tears after seeing it never change where they at most add to it a new section. Sims though is almost a growing living thing, ever changing, ever building itself for the life of the game. It is why Sims game stand apart from ALL THOSE OTHER games - it's one of a kind.

Been a Simmer for over 18 years and like the way the game works just fine. It is amazing to see the game go from base game to last pack over many years - so look forward to the extended time allotted to sims 4. This formula works for The Sims - other wise it would not be the best selling game of all time.

Aren't you the same one also complaining of the Sims T rating? It's always been T rated and always will be. That's also never going to change. The games creator wanted it that way. Actually he said E or T.

Well miss 18+ simmer if you think it's okay for there to be over 20 40$ DLC that altogether still forms less content than base games across the globe just because it's ''how it's always been'' , so be it. I cannot believe you don't realize how much money it is for, in this iterations case, such little content.

Also may I quote: ''The games creator wanted it that way.''
    To have been in this community for so long I'd have thought you knew that the creator of the game left mid-sims 3? All of this now is just EA. Will Wright left. Probably why it turned into such a cash cow since then.
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @elelunicy

2017: Pets EP released + new GM ... TS5 project can begin now !

2006: TS3 project began, game released 3 years later.
    2011: TS4 project began, game released 3 years later.

The Sims 5 may be released in 2020
  • Options
    @LeGardePourpre
    OMG don't you get my hopes up! :p
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,003 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I doubt it. This is the first game where we've only gotten 1 EP in a year. (For 2016 and 2017) It feels like things are moving slower here.

This is also the first game of the series that got the indepth specialty game packs - so keep that in mind.

I have to say I prefer the game packs. On the whole they seem better thought out, and fuller, even. The EPs have fallen a tad short, for me.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I doubt it. This is the first game where we've only gotten 1 EP in a year. (For 2016 and 2017) It feels like things are moving slower here.

This is also the first game of the series that got the indepth specialty game packs - so keep that in mind.

Well yes but in TS3, for example, the combination of a game pack and an expansion of TS4 would pretty much add up to the same amount of content. Pretty sure GP's and half baked EP's is just a marketing move for more money :p
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @AuzzPanda wrote: »
    @jackjack_k
    Um? OBVIOUSLY it's going to be highly rated because OBVIOUSLY it's the majority of people that are into it that are going to be participating on media. If you were to do that survey during the era of TS3, you'd get the same results. Remember all the hate TS4 got in the beginning? Most if not all of those people have drifted away and haven't been spreading anymore hate to it because they lost interest in the franchise, aka they're not participating on some survey on facebook.

If you look at my comment, you will see that the ''waist of money comment'' was literally a question from my point of view, I wasn't telling anyone to do or not to do anything lol.

You asked someone if they were willing to waste their money on TS4 content.

That’s not looking at it from your point of view.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2018

Well yes but in TS3, for example, the combination of a game pack and an expansion of TS4 would pretty much add up to the same amount of content. Pretty sure GP's and half baked EP's is just a marketing move for more money :p

If I like a game or content I buy the game and content. It 's not an issue. I don't care what others think - if it is worth it to me - I buy it.

The value of the dollar for Sims various packs compared to any other form of entertainment out there - to me it is worth it. It's in the eye of the beholder. You want to call it a money grab - well don't buy it if you believe that. What can I say. That's totally up to you - not me. Not my problem. I like the game and the content.

This formula has worked for 18 years, it still rules and keeps the Sims still doing as well as it ever did. So obviously many people seem to agree. I Can't help the fact you don't.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

You know something I own the entire Sims 3 store - bought most of it the day the store content came out. Money seems to be your issue - not mine. I like a game or content I buy the game and content. Not my issue. Don't care what you think - if it is worth it to me - I buy it.

You know what I would have issue with - is if the game didn't keep producing content. If it was up to me Sims 4 would have had a Sims 4 store as well - and most likely I'd bought all of that content also.

Did the same thing in Sims 2. The value of the a dollar for Sims stuff compared to any other form of entertainment out there - to me it is worth it. Seeing I am still also playing those games as well. It's in the eye of the beholder. You want to call it a money grab - well don't buy it. What can I say. That's totally on you - not me. Not my problem.

The formula has worked for 18 years and still rules and keeps the Sims still doing as well as it ever did. So obviously many people agree - we will keep on playing and keep on buying maybe the same way for another 18 years. Let us hope so anyway. Can't help the fact you cannot wrap your head around the idea.
    If you bought all Store content the day it was released you obviously indeed didn’t have a money issue. Me however have never been able to afford that, nor needed it for that matter. I don’t think the point is what we can afford or are willing to spend on the game here. Those ‘in depth’ GP’s just offer content that used to be in one EP in the past. Like I stated in another topic: this GP will cost half of what WA cost, but it won’t contain half of what WA delivered. Not by a long shot.
    5JZ57S6.png