Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do we no longer get free updates?

coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
edited January 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I would like to compare 2017 with the year 2015. Take a look at all the free updates we got inbetween paid content.

6QzPVPT.png
Post edited by coldplay2233 on

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I can’t see your link/image.

But to be fair here we only got free content last month.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    https://simsvip.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Sims-4-Timeline-SimsVIP.png
    The image is a png image which is ridiculous in itself.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited January 2018

This.
    And also, basements and swimming pools, dishwashers etc were all things that should have been in the base game upon release. It is good that they added them in the first year, but it was not groundbreaking new content. This was the reason I did not buy the game until December 2015.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member

This.
    And also, basements and swimming pools, dishwashers etc were all things that should have been in the base game upon release. It is good that they added them in the first year, but it was not groundbreaking new content. This was the reason I did not buy the game until December 2015.

That's why I quit after a month and just came back 4 months ago, lol. Well, mostly because there were no toddlers and kids had no option to meet other kids except look around the neighborhood hoping to find some...
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,250 Member
    edited January 2018
    I would like to compare 2017 with the year 2015. Take a look at all the free updates we got inbetween paid content.

Now the basegame is almost "complete" with the Toddler Patch.

Compare 2015 to 2017 is like comparing a 25% basegame to a 75% basegame
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    They spent all the free patch budget when they made the talking toilet in City Living. :D
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, the free updates in 2014 were just features that didn't make it in time for release. The genealogy too. So they had been working on those for some time before they were released, I'd say.

Right now, it seems that they're prioritizing other things. They might be working on some other free content, but probably not as much, and they probably started from scratch so it'll take longer from our perspective.

Btw, the infographic looks really nice.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'm still waiting for the Zodiac patch, the sim biography patch, the laptop patch, the trash compactor patch, the food processor patch, the landline phone patch, the bed animations patch, etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the Zodiac patch, the sim biography patch, the laptop patch, the trash compactor patch, the food processor patch, the landline phone patch, the bed animations patch, etc.

..., car patch, seasons patch, terraforming patch, spiral stairs patch, ...
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Yeah, the free updates in 2014 were just features that didn't make it in time for release. The genealogy too. So they had been working on those for some time before they were released, I'd say.

Right now, it seems that they're prioritizing other things. They might be working on some other free content, but probably not as much, and they probably started from scratch so it'll take longer from our perspective.

Realistically, only ghosts and pools were in the works before the game released. Genealogy (family trees) took 6 months to be added. They specifically said that the two new careers and the move objects cheat (December 2014) were added based on player feedback so they were the beginning of the non-base game holdover content. Everything we have gotten since was started after the game was shipped. Even toddlers.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

..., car patch, seasons patch, terraforming patch, spiral stairs patch, ...

the toaster patch, the fix sim autonomy patch, the advanced relationship interaction patch, the school patch...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

Realistically, only ghosts and pools were in the works before the game released. Genealogy (family trees) took 6 months to be added. They specifically said that the two new careers and the move objects cheat (December 2014) were added based on player feedback so they were the beginning of the non-base game holdover content. Everything we have gotten since was started after the game was shipped. Even toddlers.

Yeah, that makes sense too. The new careers were probably easier for them to make.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    @SimGuruDrake has said that patching in content every month is over, so giving you more ways to play with life every month is done. At this point free content is random but now seems to be used to draw players back in before a bigger pack is released.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I think it was more so The Sims 4 was rushed, and we had gotten these frequent updates because they were being worked on prior to release, and afterwards, too.

And, of course since it's EA, they created the illusion that all these patches were a good thing, when realistically, they were playing a huge game of catch up.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    And there’s the fact the game is doing much better now than it did in the beginning. Which means two things:
    1. They realized they had to hand this stuff to the angry players without charging them; they weren’t buying
    2. They can afford to return to their old habits now, people will buy anything
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I think the basegame 2014 was a very "Early access" to The Sims 4 which was still under development because the simmers would never be enough patient to wait for a new basegame during 4 years.

They aren't already patient to wait for a new EP during one year.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Do we need one? I thought those were for features we should’ve had at launch?
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Firefighters
    Burglars/Cops
    Varying terrain altitude
    Cars/driveways

Granted, I personally don't pay attention to the free updates. They kinda rub me the wrong way because the result is always that people say "wow it's FREE!!! We should be SO GRATEFUL," even in cases where the supplied content was stuff that should've come with the base game.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

Firefighters
    Burglars/Cops
    Varying terrain altitude
    Cars/driveways

Granted, I personally don't pay attention to the free updates. They kinda rub me the wrong way because the result is always that people say "wow it's FREE!!! We should be SO GRATEFUL," even in cases where the supplied content was stuff that should've come with the base game.

Well... if you buy the Base Game now it'll come with it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

Firefighters
    Burglars/Cops
    Varying terrain altitude
    Cars/driveways

Well... if you buy the Base Game now it'll come with it.
    And you wouldn’t think for a moment “oh, wow, this? For FREE? We should be SO GRATEFUL!”
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2018

Firefighters
    Burglars/Cops
    Varying terrain altitude
    Cars/driveways

Yeah, I don't see how anyone should be grateful for anything. We paid for the base game, and they sold the game with the promise there would be new ways to play every month (which did not fall through) and there would be frequent patches. I can understand giving them positive feedback for this, but I, nor anyone else, must provide EA with our gratitude for this.

I'm still waiting for firefighters, burglars, etc. myself. They removed much of the important content that not only made The Sims what it was known for, but also content that made the game feel like an actual game. Right now, I feel like whenever I play The Sims 4, I'm essentially making my own goals, and then I lose interest because I would rather play a different game where the developers/publisher gave proper support for the game they were making. But, as I was saying with The Sims 4, I've done it all. It's strange. The Sims 3 still has not given me that feeling. The Sims 2, even after 10 years, still feels fresh and new after a good break.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    We get free updates every month -- even if it's just for bug fixes that's still content.

If you're talking about new stuff, we got two additions to the holiday patch last year -- Diwali content in October and holiday content for those with warm weather Christmases in December.

Not all that interested in burglars unless they patch in burglar alarms; I'd be interested in fire fighters. I don't want terrain tools (though being able to build houses with variable foundation heights would be nice). And cars/driveways are of no real interest unless we could do car upgrades to help build Handiness skill. A small thing I'd like that I'd like is more TV channels to help build skills. We have the cooking channel but I'd like to see the Gardening channel return and maybe add a DIY channel to build Handiness.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Gratitude is earned. Are players supposed to be grateful that EA botched Sims 4 as an online game, and then delivered a massively unfinished, lacking, boring children’s game? Engagement content is literally built into their budget, it’s not like the developers are working off the clock on this stuff from the bottom of their hearts. Not saying that’s what I expect, but there’s no reason to be grateful for a business to be operating exactly how they planned to operate. That’s like me going to the grocery store and being so grateful that they sell groceries.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I think it was more so The Sims 4 was rushed, and we had gotten these frequent updates because they were being worked on prior to release, and afterwards, too.

And, of course since it's EA, they created the illusion that all these patches were a good thing, when realistically, they were playing a huge game of catch up.

I'm pretty sure that was the case with pools, but I think they'd never considered adding ghosts till the community outcry over their absence. (Ghosts are still a bit problematic especially with the culling issues that finally got solved to a certain extent with the My Households and Other Households mechanism. I do still need MCCC in order to manage ghosts (plus aliens and vampires).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that was the case with pools, but I think they'd never considered adding ghosts till the community outcry over their absence. (Ghosts are still a bit problematic especially with the culling issues that finally got solved to a certain extent with the My Households and Other Households mechanism. I do still need MCCC in order to manage ghosts (plus aliens and vampires).

I figured ghosts were originally planned as DLC. I remember the unintentional leak from before launch (Ryan and Graham’s play through) where they went in the gallery and showed an ad for camping, spooky “stuff”, and a party pack (the first and last realized as Outdoor Retreat, and Luxury Party Stuff). I don’t think the ad was in reference to the spooky stuff pack that released over a year later, and ghosts were the very first content addition so it wouldn’t be too far out. Pools were also mentioned in a survey, so I could also see that feature too as something that was in development as a paid feature but was later released for free in response to backlash. Just speculation on my end though.