May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We care! Supporting Simmers going through hard times.

Comments

• Options
    fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    good luck, @mcrudd. i hope you feel better very soon. tapering off gradually will make the side effects more bearable until they fade.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    I get really annoyed when I ask parents about the weather and Dad tells me the information b) when I want information A. He tells me "mild" or "positive 6 but feels like positive 2" but when all I care about is the weather part (ie rain/freezing rain, snow, how much?)-I don't give a hoot about the TEMPERATURE. I want to call him something I shouldn't and I didn't this time.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,676 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I get really annoyed when I ask parents about the weather and Dad tells me the information b) when I want information A. He tells me "mild" or "positive 6 but feels like positive 2" but when all I care about is the weather part (ie rain/freezing rain, snow, how much?)-I don't give a hoot about the TEMPERATURE. I want to call him something I shouldn't and I didn't this time.

Hello
    When you ask your parents about the weather, it may best to ask them more a specific question such as : “ Is it raining? Is it raining very hard? “ rather than a general question about the weather. You will then find out more specifically what you want to know.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    When you ask your parents about the weather, it may best to ask them more a specific question such as : “ Is it raining? Is it raining very hard? “ rather than a general question about the weather. You will then find out more specifically what you want to know.

True. And it's an easy mistake because temperature is a part of the weather (and more endangering)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited January 2018

Temperature is part of the weather. It's literally in the definition of "weather" if you look it up in the dictionary haha :) So your father's answer to your question is 100% valid. All the things you listed are types of precipitation. So maybe you should instead ask him "Will there be precipitation today?" Or if you aren't satisfied with his answer, maybe look online at the weather for yourself?
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @MadameLee, i thought of this after reading @CitizenErased14's reply, and it's quick and useful. if you google "weather" (just that word) you will get a box that shows the info you want.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited January 2018
    @MadameLee I am not sure exactly how old you are, but from what I read you are very much an adult (by that you cook and work and so on) Perhaps if you do a little more deciding for yourself and rely less on your parents it will be good for them and for yourself, It will be so much less pressure on them and you. I have an 18 and 13 year old and they are pretty good at making decisions which completely takes the pressure of me and my husband. Little things like weather is accessible so easily with phones and computers. Also there is so many replacements in salads besides lettuce. I for one don't prefer lettuce so use apple in a salad, makes it super yummy. If that is not your preference then google for some ideas, I am sure many will pop up. I hope I am not sounding mean, just trying to reply to most of your posts from a mother's perspective. I wish you all the best, just take one day and do all "your" deciding and then try it a second day and so on, I am sure you and your parents will appreciate your indepedance :)
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    So, i have not been having a great week. First, my wrist has been hurting like crazy whenever i bend it and i don't know if it's severe enough to go to a doctor's office. Second, i've been having emotional breakdowns where i get angry, then have a temper tantrum which includes me throwing stuff and hitting myself in the head, then following that i get extremely depressed and feel like i'm on the brink of madness. I've also been having problems with my back where it's been hurting. Probably just from me always being hunched over so that's why it's hurting, but i can't seem to make it stop.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options
    So, i have not been having a great week. First, my wrist has been hurting like crazy whenever i bend it and i don't know if it's severe enough to go to a doctor's office. Second, i've been having emotional breakdowns where i get angry, then have a temper tantrum which includes me throwing stuff and hitting myself in the head, then following that i get extremely depressed and feel like i'm on the brink of madness. I've also been having problems with my back where it's been hurting. Probably just from me always being hunched over so that's why it's hurting, but i can't seem to make it stop.

Hello @LyricSimsz15 I am sorry that you are not having a good week :( It may be best to go and see your doctor and get your wrist checked over. He will be able to see if it is injured , and provide treatment or advice depending on the extent and cause of the pain and injury. It would also be very beneficial for you and your mental and physical health to talk over with him how you are feeling emotionally. He will caringly listen and may refer you to another medical doctor such as a psychologist whom you can talk with and through how you are feeling. Talking over things with others can help to work through your inner feelings, and help to find ways and strategies to cope with situations that occur and your reactions to them. The pain that you are experiencing with your wrist and back would also be increasing the stress that you are feeling mentally. Pain can intensify emotional distress.
    I send hugs to you <3 It would be good to see your Doctor.
  • Options
    saishousaishou Posts: 276 Member

*gives you a major hug*

You should check with a doctor anyways, but if you're still unsure of going, maybe share with us what you think is causing the wrist pain? (Like, I'm freelance artist and I draw a lot so occasionally I get wrist cramps from not stretching before work, maybe that's the case for you too?), or maybe you do heavy work/a lot of writing? Try doing some wrist exercises and see if that helps?

And don't beat yourself up for being depressed, it's a tough thing to fight against and it's understandable that you feel that way. Just know that we're here for you and that you're not alone. <3
    Keep moving forward.

- My Art - Website - OriginID : saishou
    pv_by_sai_shou-dbye3yu.jpg
  • Options
    HornedCrowHornedCrow Posts: 30 Member
    This thread is very great. Thank you for giving Simmers this option. Sometimes life kinda just gets too real too scary too fast and have to slow down. Sims was my escape from reality for years.
    I stopped playing the Sims for 2 years, and within those two years I, of course did more living, but I also brushed death a few times back in 2016 and 2017, I was admitted into a hospital and sued the "friend" who put me there, now I am currently suing another one. I am scared to live with anyone (these people I am suing were my best friends) and I am scared of living alone (for one, rent is a nightmare) I have been homeless since Thanksgiving (kicked out of a relatives house abruptly) had to involve the police to get my stuff because the relative took my spare keys and even locked my bedroom door so I couldn't even get my medicine which I desperately need. ESPECIALLY since the hospital admission which said relative had me move in after dismissal and helped me sue my previous roommates. I am currently saying with a great friend of mine and I recently finally had a surgery I have been waiting for years to get done. Now I am back in school, have to retake last semester's classes and slept through my alarm this morning because of the medicine I am on from surgery. The surgeon cleared me for normal workload, I know school is the least I can do...but I felt terrible all day about it.
  • Options
    @rosemow @saishou Thank you both for the support <3

I don't know what could be causing my wrist pain. I draw frequently as well, but i don't think i draw so much that could be the cause. I tend to lean on my hand when i'm sitting, so it might be that (like leaning my cheek on the palm of my hand).

As for the emotional stuff, i feel stupid having to mention it as it always gets triggered by stupid things. It's happened 3 times because of very little things. First, i couldn't get the Wii to connect to the TV, then i lost this small thing, then the sink was being stupid. All those times caused me to throw massive tantrums. It's like i'm 4 years old again. Sometimes, the depression afterwards is triggered by an outcome of the anger (Like, with the Wii thing, i ended up losing the TV remote and got upset over it when i know i didn't throw it).

I actually don't know if i have a mental illness. I'm pretty sure i do, because i seem to have personality traits from different ones (I have traits from OCD and ADHD, but i doubt i have either as they are mainly minor.) I feel like the emotional outbursts could be a sign of bipolar disorder or an anxiety disorder (which i think i have), but i really can't tell. I don't want to go to a doctor about it because i never feel comfortable talking to people. If there was a way i could text someone, i would do it, but i don't think there is. So i might just have to wait until i'm less socially anxious.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
  • Options
    HornedCrow wrote: »
    This thread is very great. Thank you for giving Simmers this option. Sometimes life kinda just gets too real too scary too fast and have to slow down. Sims was my escape from reality for years.
    I stopped playing the Sims for 2 years, and within those two years I, of course did more living, but I also brushed death a few times back in 2016 and 2017, I was admitted into a hospital and sued the "friend" who put me there, now I am currently suing another one. I am scared to live with anyone (these people I am suing were my best friends) and I am scared of living alone (for one, rent is a nightmare) I have been homeless since Thanksgiving (kicked out of a relatives house abruptly) had to involve the police to get my stuff because the relative took my spare keys and even locked my bedroom door so I couldn't even get my medicine which I desperately need. ESPECIALLY since the hospital admission which said relative had me move in after dismissal and helped me sue my previous roommates. I am currently saying with a great friend of mine and I recently finally had a surgery I have been waiting for years to get done. Now I am back in school, have to retake last semester's classes and slept through my alarm this morning because of the medicine I am on from surgery. The surgeon cleared me for normal workload, I know school is the least I can do...but I felt terrible all day about it.

Hello @HornedCrow
    I send hugs to you <3 with all that you have been and are continuing to go through. You have been enduring through stressful and upsetting situations. It is good that you have had the surgery done that you been waiting for to have done. I hope that your recovery from the surgery and the healing process goes as smoothly as possible. The medications given after surgery can affect sleep. Also, anaesthetic can remain in your body system for a while and can cause tiredness and sleepiness. It is good that you are back in school studying. I hope that you will enjoy learning the new things in your classes, to prepare you for whatever you plan for your future. It is encouraging that you have a good friend to stay with. It would give you security, as you recover from your surgery. Your doctor will monitor your health as you recover.
    Sending more hugs to you <3
  • Options

I don't know what could be causing my wrist pain. I draw frequently as well, but i don't think i draw so much that could be the cause. I tend to lean on my hand when i'm sitting, so it might be that (like leaning my cheek on the palm of my hand).

As for the emotional stuff, i feel stupid having to mention it as it always gets triggered by stupid things. It's happened 3 times because of very little things. First, i couldn't get the Wii to connect to the TV, then i lost this small thing, then the sink was being stupid. All those times caused me to throw massive tantrums. It's like i'm 4 years old again. Sometimes, the depression afterwards is triggered by an outcome of the anger (Like, with the Wii thing, i ended up losing the TV remote and got upset over it when i know i didn't throw it).

I actually don't know if i have a mental illness. I'm pretty sure i do, because i seem to have personality traits from different ones (I have traits from OCD and ADHD, but i doubt i have either as they are mainly minor.) I feel like the emotional outbursts could be a sign of bipolar disorder or an anxiety disorder (which i think i have), but i really can't tell. I don't want to go to a doctor about it because i never feel comfortable talking to people. If there was a way i could text someone, i would do it, but i don't think there is. So i might just have to wait until i'm less socially anxious.

Yeah, too much hand leaning is something that causes wrist strain too. Try to be conscious about that and avoid it as much as possible. Do that along with the wrist exercises and see if it makes any difference in a few days. You noticing that you do that is a good start.

And don't feel bad, I totally get you! I used to throw my controllers and 3Ds into the bed or wall whenever I raged, and then get super upset later because I instantly regret it or broke it. Do you have any other friends online? Or maybe you could try some anonymous support groups like 7CupsofTea (I personally was in touch with another anonymous support group during depression, and it really helped a lot to be able to vent to someone without being judged.) Seems like you just need people to open up to, that's a lot of pent up emotions you have. But hey, by reaching out here, that's already a step of improvement. :D
    Keep moving forward.

• Options

Hello @LyricSimsz15
    It may help with the pain of your wrist to try to not lean on it if possible. It may help to prevent, stop or ease your wrist pain.
    Talking things over with a doctor can help. With you feeling uncomfortable talking to people, perhaps you could write down how you are feeling, and the reactions you have when things occur, and let the doctor read what you wrote instead. Doctors are caring. They want to help people to live their lives to the best they can, whatever people are enduring through, physically, emotionally, mentally and socially.
    I send big hugs to you <3
  • Options
    SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    Lyricsims, Do you by any chance have any kind of artritis? Because my whole body hurts of it so I wondered if that could also be what's happening to you.
  • Options
    HornedCrow wrote: »

Don't feel terrible about it! You just got out of surgery, that's not something that you can recover from so quickly, you still need to adjust before getting back to normal workload again despite what the doc says.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with home and living, but thankfully your friend is there to help you. Just hold on for as long as you can, things will get better, they always do. <3
    Keep moving forward.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Lyricsims, Do you by any chance have any kind of artritis? Because my whole body hurts of it so I wondered if that could also be what's happening to you.

Hello @Sassycotton
    I send hugs to you <3 as you endure through the pain of arthritis. It is not nice for you :( It is awful that it is causing pain throughout your whole body.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @LyricSimsz15 I'm sorry you're struggling with so many different issues these days. Please don't feel ashamed for your reactions to what seem like trivial problems; it happens to everyone, and I like to think of it more as an overall reflection of where I am than the severity of the problem currently presenting itself. When I'm stressed, and tired, and in pain, I can blow up at something very small, even though I know as I'm reacting that the immediate problem doesn't really matter at all. And these things also compound for me, so that if I don't address other issues in my life, I'm constantly very close to losing my temper. It's like I never return to my normal baseline, so instead of being able to consider each problem on its own, I'm reacting to everything that's weighing on me at the same time. And the reactions are strong, and frequent enough, that they leave me exhausted afterward, down and depressed about all the stuff I haven't been able to address.

I hope you can make progress on at least one or two of your problems; maybe that can buy you some breathing room, give you a bit of an emotional break from what must seem like a constant onslaught. Whether you have a clearly defined mental illness or just a collection of behaviors and triggers, I'm sure that you could find some benefit in therapy or a support group. We all have things we could work on to make ourselves emotionally healthier. And since you're posting here, you clearly know how much it helps to have someone listen to you.

As far as your pain goes, I agree with @rosemow that it's probably increasing your emotional volatility. It can also work in the other direction—mental distress can magnify the experience of physical pain as well. And stress in general produces hormones that trigger (among other things) an inflammatory response that can exacerbate an injury, especially one that isn't being treated. I've had a few joint problems myself, and I know how much the pain and the treatment can spread into the rest of your life and turn an otherwise good day dark and sour. Definitely get your wrist checked out by a doctor; while you're there, you can get more advice on how to maintain your back in better condition as well. When I was in high school, I pushed past my pain to continue what I was doing—more than once—and I still have symptoms now. For example, I can't lean on my elbow for more than 30 seconds before I get pins and needles up and down my arm. These things don't fix themselves, and they can only get worse with neglect.

I really feel for you, and I sincerely hope you find a way to work on these issues. Hopefully when you can see you're starting to make progress on something, you can build on that success and get yourself healthy again.
  • Options

No. I hadn't thought of that, so i looked up symptoms and i haven't been experiencing any of them with my wrist or my back.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    Bad day today. Just as life was getting better after 2 years of *bleep!*, my dog ran off earlier. Normally she comes back in a panic after 10-20 mins (she's so easily distracted) but it's been hours. People are looking for her and my mum and I are sitting at home but I don't like it; I don't like not having her here
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    Bad day today. Just as life was getting better after 2 years of *bleep!*, my dog ran off earlier. Normally she comes back in a panic after 10-20 mins (she's so easily distracted) but it's been hours. People are looking for her and my mum and I are sitting at home but I don't like it; I don't like not having her here

Hello @KoumoriDiru
    I am sorry that your dog ran off and is now missing :( I hope that she will be found soon. It is upsetting and hard for you and your Mum as you wait for news to hear if she has been found. I send a hug to you <3
  • Options
    SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    I hope she comes back it's very hard when that happens
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited January 2018
    Hey @KoumoriDiru, I hope you're doing alright.

A trick I've heard of that might help with a missing dog or cat is to leave a blanket/pet bed or one of their toys out (as long as they can pick up on your or their own scent) near your home. Mind you, I've never had to use the trick, but it might help your dog to relocate your house if they can smell something familiar to them.

I'd say leave some strongly-scented dog food out, but depending on where you live, that could attract wild animals, and that wouldn't be good.

Best of luck, man. I hope that your buddy shows up soon.

EDIT: I apologize. I didn't read through the previous page, and I mixed up who's dog had gone missing. I posted this because I immediately thought about what I read somewhere awhile ago. Please forgive me for my lack of observational skills! :sweat:
    Post edited by Lyoufln on
  • Options
    @KoumoriDiru, i hope your dog returns home soon. and @Lyoufln, those are great suggestions. i know pets find familiar scents really comforting.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top