The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 27 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

Teens

2...Next

Comments

  • fidelis_x0fidelis_x0 Posts: 74 Member
    I don’t care much about their height but I want them to look more youthful. And have interactions, clothes and and events just for them.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,951 Member
    edited December 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    What continent are you on? If you don't mind me asking.
    Also, most teens are aged 16-19, are 16-19 year olds really that short compared to adults? Rhetorical question, but one worth taking into consideration.

    The teens in the game are meant to represent an average of the teen years, which would put them at about 15-17, though they can easily represent the teen ages around that.

    Let's address things one by one:
    m4RBfIk.png

    1-Teens are thirteen to nineteen, hence the "teen" suffix?

    2-13 being the end of childhood and 19 being young adult, a teen life state should be in the middle of those two ages, meaning sims shouldn't be the same height as young adults. But that's just me trying to form arguments based on facts.

    I will however also address your "What continent are you on?" question: did they teach you that there are different species on each continent or something where you grew up?
    Movotti wrote: »
    Eliharb wrote: »
    jumping from child to adult height like they do in TS4 which makes zero sense and feels like they missed a whole life stage
    Did you ever play ts1? Children never grew up, not even if their parents died. I think that made a lot less sense than children becoming teens, because when you think about it, children do become teens, and sometimes those growth spurts feel like the kid gained a full foot overnight.

    3-I did play TS1, that game didn't even pretend to be doing aging. TS4 is different because sims age up with time, so I wouldn't compare the two. And growth spurts don't happen overnight no matter how you feel, it's gradual. Since we don't have gradual seamless aging, teens should by principle have a transitional height between children and young adults.

    Well, the middle of 13 to 19 is 16 and almost all the sixteen year olds I have known are about adult height, so I guess they are the right size after all. You seem to be wanting fourteen year olds which, as you pointed out, is not the middle of that age group.
    No they haven't. Girls keep growing till they're 17, boys till they're 18,5. Since any stage takes an average, they simply should be shorter than their adult version. There really is no rational way around that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,928 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    What continent are you on? If you don't mind me asking.
    Also, most teens are aged 16-19, are 16-19 year olds really that short compared to adults? Rhetorical question, but one worth taking into consideration.

    The teens in the game are meant to represent an average of the teen years, which would put them at about 15-17, though they can easily represent the teen ages around that.

    Let's address things one by one:
    m4RBfIk.png

    1-Teens are thirteen to nineteen, hence the "teen" suffix?

    2-13 being the end of childhood and 19 being young adult, a teen life state should be in the middle of those two ages, meaning sims shouldn't be the same height as young adults. But that's just me trying to form arguments based on facts.

    I will however also address your "What continent are you on?" question: did they teach you that there are different species on each continent or something where you grew up?
    Movotti wrote: »
    Eliharb wrote: »
    jumping from child to adult height like they do in TS4 which makes zero sense and feels like they missed a whole life stage
    Did you ever play ts1? Children never grew up, not even if their parents died. I think that made a lot less sense than children becoming teens, because when you think about it, children do become teens, and sometimes those growth spurts feel like the kid gained a full foot overnight.

    3-I did play TS1, that game didn't even pretend to be doing aging. TS4 is different because sims age up with time, so I wouldn't compare the two. And growth spurts don't happen overnight no matter how you feel, it's gradual. Since we don't have gradual seamless aging, teens should by principle have a transitional height between children and young adults.

    Well, the middle of 13 to 19 is 16 and almost all the sixteen year olds I have known are about adult height, so I guess they are the right size after all. You seem to be wanting fourteen year olds which, as you pointed out, is not the middle of that age group.
    No they haven't. Girls keep growing till they're 17, boys till they're 18,5. Since any stage takes an average, they simply should be shorter than their adult version. There really is no rational way around that.

    Regardless of your opinion or my opinion, this shorter teen/pre-teen topic has been talked o death. Most have ended in arguments that have resulted in getting those topics closed. I'm not going to do this again, so I'll end my part by saying the devs have made teens the way THEY want them that's how they will stay. You can talk about what you believe are facts but this is what we have to work with. Good luck and happy simming.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,454 Member
    Eliharb wrote: »
    I will however also address your "What continent are you on?" question: did they teach you that there are different species on each continent or something where you grew up?
    Well... Monotreme are unique to my part of the world. And my darling Thylacine, who sadly, is no longer with us. Or Vombatiformes, very cute, but one branch of the family are low, poop cubes and destroy cars, and the other branch are high, sleepy and hate everyone. We also have a mythological creature, it used to be up there with unicorns, until it was discovered to be common here.

    But in relation to the height thing, different regions have different development rates.
    In Australia, it's not unusual for your kids to end up 2-4 cm taller than you, while in the Netherlands, 4- 8cm is the difference. Meanwhile, in north america the height difference has stagnated, and kids tend to end up around the same height as their parents, and have a slightly slower growth rate.

    It's relevant, because if you're in north america, then it would make perfect sense that you're not seeing the same growth rate that I'm seeing. As I've said before, kids here are beanpoles.



    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Well, the middle of 13 to 19 is 16 and almost all the sixteen year olds I have known are about adult height, so I guess they are the right size after all.
    And that is pretty much what I'm doing such a plum bad job of pointing out.
    You seem to be wanting fourteen year olds which, as you pointed out, is not the middle of that age group.
    They're obviously not wanting 14 year old Aussies. Cos, beanpoles. :p



    And for anyone who is interested.
    A typical 12 year old boy ten years ago was 5cm taller than a typical 12 year old boy 30 years prior
    canada-weighs-in-infographic-580.jpg

    Indicating that canadian kids are growing faster than they used to.

    Comparing it to the average height of australian women in 2012, 161.8cm vs a typical 12 year old canadian boy in 2007-9 155.8cm.
    6 cm.
    That's a barely noticeable difference.

    Between 12 and 14, is when most boys have a growth spurt of far more than just 6 cm. I don't see why it's so hard for people to get that a 14 year old boy can easily be as tall as, or taller than at least one parent.

    Unless there were more height options for adult sims, teen sims are as tall as they should be.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,951 Member
    edited December 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    What continent are you on? If you don't mind me asking.
    Also, most teens are aged 16-19, are 16-19 year olds really that short compared to adults? Rhetorical question, but one worth taking into consideration.

    The teens in the game are meant to represent an average of the teen years, which would put them at about 15-17, though they can easily represent the teen ages around that.

    Let's address things one by one:
    m4RBfIk.png

    1-Teens are thirteen to nineteen, hence the "teen" suffix?

    2-13 being the end of childhood and 19 being young adult, a teen life state should be in the middle of those two ages, meaning sims shouldn't be the same height as young adults. But that's just me trying to form arguments based on facts.

    I will however also address your "What continent are you on?" question: did they teach you that there are different species on each continent or something where you grew up?
    Movotti wrote: »
    Eliharb wrote: »
    jumping from child to adult height like they do in TS4 which makes zero sense and feels like they missed a whole life stage
    Did you ever play ts1? Children never grew up, not even if their parents died. I think that made a lot less sense than children becoming teens, because when you think about it, children do become teens, and sometimes those growth spurts feel like the kid gained a full foot overnight.

    3-I did play TS1, that game didn't even pretend to be doing aging. TS4 is different because sims age up with time, so I wouldn't compare the two. And growth spurts don't happen overnight no matter how you feel, it's gradual. Since we don't have gradual seamless aging, teens should by principle have a transitional height between children and young adults.

    Well, the middle of 13 to 19 is 16 and almost all the sixteen year olds I have known are about adult height, so I guess they are the right size after all. You seem to be wanting fourteen year olds which, as you pointed out, is not the middle of that age group.
    No they haven't. Girls keep growing till they're 17, boys till they're 18,5. Since any stage takes an average, they simply should be shorter than their adult version. There really is no rational way around that.

    Regardless of your opinion or my opinion, this shorter teen/pre-teen topic has been talked o death. Most have ended in arguments that have resulted in getting those topics closed. I'm not going to do this again, so I'll end my part by saying the devs have made teens the way THEY want them that's how they will stay. You can talk about what you believe are facts but this is what we have to work with. Good luck and happy simming.
    Oh that we can agree on, and they’re never going to change this for Sims 4 so in that respect the discussion is pointless (I’m in it for the eventual successor). But correct me if I’m wrong, you yourself were the one continuing this debate by jumping into a discussion between two other simmers, adding an argument that’s not an argument. Seems a bit double to suddenly play the “let’s not discuss this anymore” card. If you don’t wanna play that card, don’t start yourself.

    @Movotti Please stop ignoring the fact the very same sim is just as tall as a teen as they are when they become adults. That doesn’t happen in real life and that’s what hinders people. That the very same sim looks like their own adult version when they’re a teen. Your argument would make sense if height were a thing in the game. That could actually be really nice, from a genetic point of view. Especially when they’d add a system where environmental circumstances (food, hygiene) matter. The thing is, height is not an ingredient in Sims, they’re all identical, even men and women. Every kid turns out just as tall as their parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents in the end. Unlike the boys in your example.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,928 Member
    If they do a S5, I would be happy with a kid, pre-teen and tall teen sim life stage. I miss the shorter teens, but I know they aren't going to add them for no reason.
  • futurevet201futurevet201 Posts: 59 Member
    We so need pre-teens because kids don't just jump from 8-10 yrs to 15-18 yrs. We need a life stage in the middle for 11-14 yrs.
    I did a push-up today!
    Well, actually I fell down. But I had to use my arms to get back up so...you know, close enough.
    I need some chocolate.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 16,793 Member
    edited December 2017
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    I still have a hard time distinguishing teens from adults in TS4. I hope they find a way to adjust the height while keeping all the same clothing options. Shouldn't be impossible, but I guess the devs have other priorities.

    I try to make sure the teens I control dress more like a teen where 'fashion' is considered. I use this as a period of experimentation. Once they age up, I tend to dress them more appropriately for their more mature self.

    Yes, once any of my Sims age up, I drag them kicking and screaming into CAS — whether they wish to go or not. :p I control the horizontal. I control the vertical.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 942 Member
    A height slider would fix the teem issue a bit, I wish for a preteen life stage.. I know high hopes.
    giphy.gif

    Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,454 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Please stop ignoring the fact the very same sim is just as tall as a teen as they are when they become adults. That doesn’t happen in real life and that’s what hinders people.
    Then why aren't people whining that elders don't shrink in old age?
    Why don't people want to give the elders a bet of love? What have people got against the elderly!?!
    That the very same sim looks like their own adult version when they’re a teen.
    I don't see that. I see teens as looking more youthful than their adult version.
    Your argument would make sense if height were a thing in the game.
    Are you saying that reality doesn't make sense? I don't get what you mean, can you please reword?


    [quote Unlike the boys in your example.[/quote]
    Take a closer look at the chart. Boys and girls in canada, in 2007-9 are about the same height at age 12.
    These days, children, prior to their teenage years, are having a similar growth rate, regardless of sex. Girl and boy sims of the same height is what is starting to happen in the real world.


    Over all, personally, I find that sims represent the stereotypical Scandinavian heights. Their teens are tall, their adults are tall, their elders are tall.



    A height slider would fix the teem issue a bit, I wish for a preteen life stage.. I know high hopes.
    No, it wouldn't fix much, because of all the time and effort that would have to go into fixing broken animations.
    It's one of those things that makes no sense to add to ts4, but instead, to maybe include in ts5 from the start.
    But even then, a height slider would be a lot of extra work, for so little to be added to the game. I'd rather they put the effort into more staircase variations, spinny washing lines, drum kits, bicycles, cubby houses and climbable trees.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,951 Member
    edited January 2018
    Movotti wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Please stop ignoring the fact the very same sim is just as tall as a teen as they are when they become adults. That doesn’t happen in real life and that’s what hinders people.
    Then why aren't people whining that elders don't shrink in old age?
    Why don't people want to give the elders a bet of love? What have people got against the elderly!?!
    That the very same sim looks like their own adult version when they’re a teen.
    I don't see that. I see teens as looking more youthful than their adult version.
    Your argument would make sense if height were a thing in the game.
    Are you saying that reality doesn't make sense? I don't get what you mean, can you please reword?

    Unlike the boys in your example.
    Take a closer look at the chart. Boys and girls in canada, in 2007-9 are about the same height at age 12.
    These days, children, prior to their teenage years, are having a similar growth rate, regardless of sex. Girl and boy sims of the same height is what is starting to happen in the real world.


    Over all, personally, I find that sims represent the stereotypical Scandinavian heights. Their teens are tall, their adults are tall, their elders are tall.
    A height slider would fix the teem issue a bit, I wish for a preteen life stage.. I know high hopes.
    No, it wouldn't fix much, because of all the time and effort that would have to go into fixing broken animations.
    It's one of those things that makes no sense to add to ts4, but instead, to maybe include in ts5 from the start.
    But even then, a height slider would be a lot of extra work, for so little to be added to the game. I'd rather they put the effort into more staircase variations, spinny washing lines, drum kits, bicycles, cubby houses and climbable trees.
    You’ll have to elaborate concerning elders, because I have no idea what you mean and how wanting shorter teens equals not wanting fleshed out elders.

    As for “That the very same sim looks like their own adult version when they’re a teen”, I don’t quite understand why you suddenly drag appearance into this when I was clearly talking about height. I don’t need to reword anything, I’ll just quote myself again, bolding where I explain what I mean.
    The thing is, height is not an ingredient in Sims, they’re all identical, even men and women. Every kid turns out just as tall as their parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents in the end. Unlike the boys in your example.
    Meaning: where in reality the 1980 teen ended up as a shorter adult than the 2007 teen did, in the game all of a sudden they are exactly the same height as adults. Which means that for teens you use it as an argument (nowadays teens are as tall as their parents or even taller, that’s realistic), but when they become adults that ‘reality’ argument all of a sudden is gone, because then they’re not taller than their parents. You can’t have it both ways. If tall teens are a realistic ingredient, than they should end up taller once an adult too.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,928 Member
    If height is such a big deal, then why not ask for every sim to be properly done. On average, men are taller than women yet a male sim and a female sim are the same height. And yes, elders should shrink with old age, that's just nature.

  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,124 Member
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Did you guys like TS2 and TS3 teens, and do you think they'll ever make it to TS4 like the toddler update? Like proper shorter teens replacing the adult teen-flavored sims?

    TS2 and TS3 teens are an enjoyable and fun life stage. I really like how well they captured that life stage but there's always room for improvement. I highly doubt they will pay any more attention to teens concerning height. Just like infants will always be objects, it's not going to change and not likely even on their to-do list.

    I wish height was a feature in a real Sims sequel just as long as teens still act like...teens which is clearly distinguishable from any other age group.

    I used a height slider for TS3 to give teens different heights. Did the same for kids. It's just more realistic that way.

    Screenshot-3219.jpg
    Screenshot-1645.jpg

    Sometimes adults too.
    Screenshot-499.jpg
    561519-DTS.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,951 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If height is such a big deal, then why not ask for every sim to be properly done. On average, men are taller than women yet a male sim and a female sim are the same height. And yes, elders should shrink with old age, that's just nature.
    Yes, I couldn’t agree with you more.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,546 Member
    I only want the height not to change now because if it does my CC will stop working for teens and that will cause a lot a problems. More than its worth.
    giphy_1.gif
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 475 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    I only want the height not to change now because if it does my CC will stop working for teens and that will cause a lot a problems. More than its worth.

    I know this might upset alot of vanilla players but I'll go ahead and say it. A height slider *has* been done by a modder and small height changes (enough for some sim variation) didn't break CC or animations. No need to redo any animations or break CC tbh.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,928 Member
    If it's been done by a modder then they don't need to add it to the game.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 942 Member
    We shouldn't have to depend so much on modders working on fixes for TS4.
    giphy.gif

    Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 17,928 Member
    We shouldn't have to depend so much on modders working on fixes for TS4.

    If the height isn't a problem for most players, then it's not broken and doesn't need fixing. But if a player wants a height slider, there is a way to get one that doesn't affect everyone else's game.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,951 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If it's been done by a modder then they don't need to add it to the game.
    That's an interesting point of view.
    (I'll leave it at that ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,325 EA Community Manager
    I am positive i've seen these same arguments made in previous Teen threads. As this is a duplicate discussion with no new information to warrant another thread on the topic I'm closing the thread. Thank you folks.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top