Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teens

Did you guys like TS2 and TS3 teens, and do you think they'll ever make it to TS4 like the toddler update? Like proper shorter teens replacing the adult teen-flavored sims?
Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti

Comments

• DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    This will never happen. I am glad teens are the same height because of the clothes.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    This will never happen. I am glad teens are the same height because of the clothes.

Agree. The teen clothing options in TS3 were horrible for the biggest part.

I like to imagine my teens to be 16/17 years old, and the current height fits perfectly with that. The teens in TS3 were too short for my taste. They looked like 13 or 14 years.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I used to mind the height difference, but now not so much. And I do like that teens and adults share the same wardrobe, because at least I won't have to dress my sim again when he ages up, and I won't find a CAS item for adults that's not available for teens. That one's a huge disappointment in TS3. I still have a lot of shirts from my high school days that fit me, so it's not completely unrealistic.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I still have a hard time distinguishing teens from adults in TS4. I hope they find a way to adjust the height while keeping all the same clothing options. Shouldn't be impossible, but I guess the devs have other priorities.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Did you guys like TS2 and TS3 teens, and do you think they'll ever make it to TS4 like the toddler update? Like proper shorter teens replacing the adult teen-flavored sims?

They originally said (if I remember correctly) that teens were made the same size as adults due to sharing animations. Maybe, by now, they could add a life stage with a shorter teen.

My idea is to add a shorter height life stage that would become the new teen life stage. The old teen life stage will become the college age and Young Adults will become graduates fresh out of college, headed out into the world to begin their jobs, find a place to live and find romance before settling down and getting married to start a family.

Here are my life stage ideas:

Baby
    Toddler
    Child
    Teen (new shorter height)
    Grad (old teen height)
    Young Adult (just out of college)
    Adult
    Elder
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    I regret my teens in Sims 3 are so ugly and their clothes are silly. But at least they are real teens and at the end of the day that’s more important to me than having more dressing options. I play another game when I want that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I don't mind the height of the teens, if anything I prefer these older looking teens because it allows me story telling opportunities that just wouldn't fit with the teens from 2 and 3. The only physical changes I would possibly like to see for teens is for their faces to look more youthful, at this point their faces look just like their adult counterpart.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Like proper shorter teens replacing the adult teen-flavored sims?
    Wut?
    There's nothing proper about short teens
    Short teens either have short parents, or stunted growth. Most teens are as tall as at least one parent pretty early on.

There is currently a 13 year old in my house, who is only a couple of inches shorter than me, and I'm not a short person, nor am I their parent. They are taller than their mother, and almost as tall as their father.

TS4 teens are a pretty much alright height. They at least look old enough to be learning to drive, unlike the the teens in previous editions, who looked like they were about 12.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    edited December 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    Wut?
    Short teens either have short parents, or stunted growth. Most teens are as tall as at least one parent pretty early on.

There is currently a 13 year old in my house, who is only a couple of inches shorter than me, and I'm not a short person, nor am I their parent. They are taller than their mother, and almost as tall as their father.

TS4 teens are a pretty much alright height. They at least look old enough to be learning to drive, unlike the the teens in previous editions, who looked like they were about 12.
    Wut? Short teens are short people, tall teens are tall people, a lot of tall adult males were short teens. I remember most boys in my class when I was around 14 were shorter than us girls. At 16/17 that had changed. The only thing that matters here is taking one person for an example. And when we do that, you’ll see that each and every human being on earth was shorter as a teen than they were themselves as an adult. Comparing one adult to a completely different teen doesn’t make any sense at all. Just because nowadays teens are taller than their parents because they happen to be a generation that profits from improved drinking water supplies, hygiene, sanitation, access to nutrition, ventilated housing and public health systems.

(my own son by the way, 18, is shorter than his father and he’ll always be)
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Just because nowadays teens are taller than their parents because they happen to be a generation that profits from improved drinking water supplies, hygiene, sanitation, access to nutrition, ventilated housing and public health systems.
    That's the point I'm making. It's more usual for teens to be as tall as, or taller than, at least one parent. And with some kids, that happens as early as age 10, with others, it may not happen until around 14, but it does happen, so that in their teens they are as tall as, or taller than at least one of their parents. And it has been happening for around the last 100 years or so, in most of the world. The exception seems to be the US, where heights have stagnated. In most other countries, as nutrition improves, teens get taller.

Australia is well known for growing beanpoles.
    Just because nowadays teens are taller than their parents because they happen to be a generation that profits from improved drinking water supplies, hygiene, sanitation, access to nutrition, ventilated housing and public health systems.
    That's the point I'm making. It's more usual for teens to be as tall as, or taller than, at least one parent. And with some kids, that happens as early as age 10, with others, it may not happen until around 14, but it does happen, so that in their teens they are as tall as, or taller than at least one of their parents. And it has been happening for around the last 100 years or so, in most of the world. The exception seems to be the US, where heights have stagnated. In most other countries, as nutrition improves, teens get taller.

Please post the entire quote, not just one line out of context that happens to cater your theory.

Wut?

Wut? Short teens are short people, tall teens are tall people, a lot of tall adult males were short teens. I remember most boys in my class when I was around 14 were shorter than us girls. At 16/17 that had changed. The only thing that matters here is taking one person for an example. And when we do that, you’ll see that each and every human being on earth was shorter as a teen than they were themselves as an adult. Comparing one adult to a completely different teen doesn’t make any sense at all. Just because nowadays teens are taller than their parents because they happen to be a generation that profits from improved drinking water supplies, hygiene, sanitation, access to nutrition, ventilated housing and public health systems.

(my own son by the way, 18, is shorter than his father and he’ll always be)
    Those are the lines in my post that matter. Please respect that instead of pulling my post out of context by selectively quoting it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member

Lol.. well most teens I know are shorter than adults so.. I liked the idea in TS2 and TS3 that sims get taller while aging it made things more gradual instead of jumping from child to adult height like they do in TS4 which makes zero sense and feels like they missed a whole life stage. Some people on the forums might call it pre-teen because they like the current teens which is beyond my understanding (because they're literally the same as young adults, minus some interactions that are blocked?)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

We won't get shorter teens in Sims 4 because of the clothes and the animations. I could see possibly a Teen Stuff Pack to add items and interactions to distinguish them more from the other age groups and make them less like mini-adults. I'd actually like an age filter (like the gender filter) that distinguishes certain outfits for teens only -- it wouldn't affect teens created in CAS by players (or players could turn off the filter when creating YA+ Sims), but it would keep game-generated Sims (especially elders) like dressing like they're High School Musical rejected extras.

Having been shorter than all my nieces, nephews and great-nieces since they hit teenhood, I'm fine with the taller teens; I'd rather see more work to give them more uniqueness. Maybe bring back the Rebellious trait and the ability to do pranks like we had in Generations. Saving accounts where teens can save their own money from part-time jobs or hobbies like painting or programming (I'd love to play a teen hacker in a basement bedroom) would be great as well instead of all the money they earn ending up in household account.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    I would like to see clothes that only teens can wear. Hoodies, backpacks, torn jeans, cute, colorful sneakers for girls, jeans jackets, printed tee shirts for boys, plaid, open shirts over tees, etc. The kind of clothes style that only a teen could pull off wearing. And more accessories like rings, necklaces, bracelets for boys and girls.
    most teens I know are shorter than adults so
    What continent are you on? If you don't mind me asking.
    Also, most teens are aged 16-19, are 16-19 year olds really that short compared to adults? Rhetorical question, but one worth taking into consideration.

The teens in the game are meant to represent an average of the teen years, which would put them at about 15-17, though they can easily represent the teen ages around that.
    jumping from child to adult height like they do in TS4 which makes zero sense and feels like they missed a whole life stage
    Did you ever play ts1? Children never grew up, not even if their parents died. I think that made a lot less sense than children becoming teens, because when you think about it, children do become teens, and sometimes those growth spurts feel like the kid gained a full foot overnight.

Please respect that instead of pulling my post out of context by selectively quoting it.
    I was only replying to a specific part, the rest didn't seem important to what I was replying to.
    Too many words in one block make it hard for my dyslexic brain to put a reply together to. I need to break it down to specifically what I am replying to.
    Please respect the dyslexic persons needs, I do what I have to do, to manage with this condition.

• Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Honestly, I'm really hoping for a Teen Style Stuff pack. I think TS2 Teen Style SP was perfect because it gave players variety of different objects and styles.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited December 2017

I agree, but I don't believe there will be a patch that will modify the teenager's height. The teens are too tall regardless of the fact that teens are taller today than they were 30 years ago. For the sake of representing the life stage between childhood and young adults, the teens should have been a bit shorter and looking a bit younger and have their own warderobes. The devs have made a decision which was wrong from my point of view and created a gap in the sims evoluting life stages. But like I said in another thread, I'm gonna let the teens be and pass on to the next life stage since there's not much difference between them. For the moment, school years are quite boring, nothing really differenciate the children from the teens, nor the teens from the young adults. So, in my opinion, the teens are failed/not worth playing/plain boring.
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I like the tall teens. But I do wish we had more teen things. Perhaps an optional and temporary (to prevent messing with already made sims) teen trait. I imagine there wouldn't be very many. Rebellious, Goody Two Shoes, etc. They would have temporary changes to a sim while they were teens. Possibly they could evolve to a much more extreme version to be kept at young adulthood. I think it would help to differentiate between otherwise similar teens.

We won't get shorter teens in Sims 4 because of the clothes and the animations. I could see possibly a Teen Stuff Pack to add items and interactions to distinguish them more from the other age groups and make them less like mini-adults. I'd actually like an age filter (like the gender filter) that distinguishes certain outfits for teens only -- it wouldn't affect teens created in CAS by players (or players could turn off the filter when creating YA+ Sims), but it would keep game-generated Sims (especially elders) like dressing like they're High School Musical rejected extras.

Having been shorter than all my nieces, nephews and great-nieces since they hit teenhood, I'm fine with the taller teens; I'd rather see more work to give them more uniqueness. Maybe bring back the Rebellious trait and the ability to do pranks like we had in Generations. Saving accounts where teens can save their own money from part-time jobs or hobbies like painting or programming (I'd love to play a teen hacker in a basement bedroom) would be great as well instead of all the money they earn ending up in household account.

I agree with this completely. Teens should feel more distinct than young adults/adults/elders. A game pack could resolve this.
    edited December 2017
    Also, most teens are aged 16-19, are 16-19 year olds really that short compared to adults? Rhetorical question, but one worth taking into consideration.

The teens in the game are meant to represent an average of the teen years, which would put them at about 15-17, though they can easily represent the teen ages around that.

Let's address things one by one:
    m4RBfIk.png

1-Teens are thirteen to nineteen, hence the "teen" suffix?

2-13 being the end of childhood and 19 being young adult, a teen life state should be in the middle of those two ages, meaning sims shouldn't be the same height as young adults. But that's just me trying to form arguments based on facts.

I will however also address your "What continent are you on?" question: did they teach you that there are different species on each continent or something where you grew up?
    jumping from child to adult height like they do in TS4 which makes zero sense and feels like they missed a whole life stage
    Did you ever play ts1? Children never grew up, not even if their parents died. I think that made a lot less sense than children becoming teens, because when you think about it, children do become teens, and sometimes those growth spurts feel like the kid gained a full foot overnight.

3-I did play TS1, that game didn't even pretend to be doing aging. TS4 is different because sims age up with time, so I wouldn't compare the two. And growth spurts don't happen overnight no matter how you feel, it's gradual. Since we don't have gradual seamless aging, teens should by principle have a transitional height between children and young adults.
  • rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    I would be happy to keep teens as they are but with more teen appropriate game play because at the moment they feel a bit bland (like the elders) however I would not be against purchasing tweens in some sort of a pack as an additional life stage. That way people who want younger teens could get them separately not affecting those players who do not want them. I think a game pack would suffice for this though, I wouldn't want to waste an expansion seeing how rarely they come.(also if we have a university expansion at any point in the future they could do a better overhaul of teens then by expanding upon education and stuff like that-although I assume a university would target young adults more than teens)
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    No.

*insert Grumpy Cat here*

And I already provided my arguments years ago so I feel tired and cranky thinking about typing them all out again.

I would LOVE to have pre-teens though. And I would looOooooOoooOoove for women to be able to be shorter than men, but that's going to anger some people anyway. Oh well.

Girls stop growing at about 14. That leaves just one teen year of a shorter height. Boys are different but oh well.

Also I'm pretty sure Americans are different than Australians, what without the clean drinking water or good health care. Not everyone but those are big problems here. Maybe we have shorter teens than a decade ago, I dunno, but none of that will change the difficulty of coding, thus the real reasons things may or may not get done.

Sure, sons get taller than their moms (and many women) easily, but probably not dad, and we don't get short women in this game. THAT bothers me. My women either look like beanpoles or just missing the mark when I try to make a cute curvy look. They are easily Amazons but in order to make a slightly petite-looking woman, she probably has to be a little thicker than I'd have meant.

And then thanks to hair or shoes, most women look taller than most men.

Those last bits bother me much more. Though I would like a SLIGHT difference for teens height-wise, but that would be a huge coding waste.

I do like TS2 teens but they don't look old enough to have their jobs. TS3 teens looked 12, NO older than 13, plus heavy set but grew up skinny, so it was a really jarring transition even when a teen grew up while inactive. ("Girl, how'd you suddenly get so svelt?!")

So, nah, IMHO I don't want worsened, less realistic teens, but I'd LOVE to have pre-teens, more age stages in general, AI tweaking for teen attitudes but WAY beyond, plus height differences for adults, someday. I love my short gals! Petite pride, woo!

Tons of AI tweaking is my #1. That could help teens more but other/core areas of the game still need it.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Also, sometimes an adult wants to dress like a teen, maybe they can pull it off but when not, let 'em fail, it's a personal choice.

And I want to reiterate, whether teens are shorter, taller, or equal to "adults" (many, randomly assorted adults) is not really as much the question as, "are teens their own full height?" Usually YES. Especially girls 14+ (14!!!!) but many boys too, if not most, depending on which years we count.

In the game the "teen" years are actually just high school years, so they might "start at" 14/15 and end at/by 18. TS4 mentions high school, which I don't think was a vanilla ts3 thing, at least based on The One school building.

I would love pre-teens though, and middle-schoolers / junior high ... ers? ... jr. high kids. Heh heh. :)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
    edited December 2017
    most teens I know are shorter than adults so

Please respect that instead of pulling my post out of context by selectively quoting it.
    I was only replying to a specific part, the rest didn't seem important to what I was replying to.
    Too many words in one block make it hard for my dyslexic brain to put a reply together to. I need to break it down to specifically what I am replying to.
    Please respect the dyslexic persons needs, I do what I have to do, to manage with this condition.
    That’s odd because my reply to what you said was in fact in the original post you misquoted. You just hadn’t included it in the quote. All I had to do was bold it and you had your answer.
    5JZ57S6.png

Let's address things one by one:
    m4RBfIk.png

1-Teens are thirteen to nineteen, hence the "teen" suffix?

2-13 being the end of childhood and 19 being young adult, a teen life state should be in the middle of those two ages, meaning sims shouldn't be the same height as young adults. But that's just me trying to form arguments based on facts.

I will however also address your "What continent are you on?" question: did they teach you that there are different species on each continent or something where you grew up?

3-I did play TS1, that game didn't even pretend to be doing aging. TS4 is different because sims age up with time, so I wouldn't compare the two. And growth spurts don't happen overnight no matter how you feel, it's gradual. Since we don't have gradual seamless aging, teens should by principle have a transitional height between children and young adults.

Well, the middle of 13 to 19 is 16 and almost all the sixteen year olds I have known are about adult height, so I guess they are the right size after all. You seem to be wanting fourteen year olds which, as you pointed out, is not the middle of that age group.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top