Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can You Fix Photo Bucket Pics On This Site?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited November 2017 in Off Topic Chat
I know this is not this site fault or Maxis/EA. Everyone knows photobucket photos don't work here anynmore. However, this is my question:

Can't you guys fix the pics that were imbedded here a year or two ago? Which were already on the site in people's stories and picture threads? Is that possible? thank you. An example of missing pics uploaded here in 2016 by a player is in the The Sims Medieval section..all those missing pictures someone posted now we can't see them. :/

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/875437/favourite-screenshot-or-tell-your-tales-tsm-edition/p1
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017
    Since photobucket became a pay site , photobucket may be blocking the pictures from view that were posted. I don't use them anymore , I would have to go way back in some threads to find pictures I posted but I suspect mine would read the same way . Also if someone removes the pictures out of photobucket posted here it might also look like that .

Edit: I just went back to my old pics and yes they all look that way because I will not pay photobucket to get them.

I don't think it is this site that has anything to do with not being able to post photobucket pics. People would prefer to use a free site for pics and last I checked photobucket was charging a high price for me to get access to my pics on there
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    The only way is to copy the pics and then move them to a free site, and post them from there. It would take some time though, if it was pics from at story like you say. I feel with you. Me myself I have chosen Imgur for uploading and posting. It all depends on how the forum's settings are. Here you need to do that. but on the Danish forum (I am Danish) we can post directly from the computer like we do on Facebook.
  • Options
    The only way is to copy the pics and then move them to a free site, and post them from there. It would take some time though, if it was pics from at story like you say. I feel with you. Me myself I have chosen Imgur for uploading and posting. It all depends on how the forum's settings are. Here you need to do that. but on the Danish forum (I am Danish) we can post directly from the computer like we do on Facebook.

Oh, wow, I wonder why US customers/fans can't post directly from their pcs like we used to do in the older games, too? I know many who would love to post from pc and not have to use a third party. I wonder (just for facts) what the difference is in your home site and this one. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Since photobucket became a pay site , photobucket may be blocking the pictures from view that were posted. I don't use them anymore , I would have to go way back in some threads to find pictures I posted but I suspect mine would read the same way . Also if someone removes the pictures out of photobucket posted here it might also look like that .

Edit: I just went back to my old pics and yes they all look that way because I will not pay photobucket to get them.

I don't think it is this site that has anything to do with not being able to post photobucket pics. People would prefer to use a free site for pics and last I checked photobucket was charging a high price for me to get access to my pics on there

Yes, I heard something about having to pay, but I was just wondering since EA has a lot of influence and power and those were pic that were here on the site long before Photo Bucket no longer offered free space to host pictures, if EA couldn't try to look into a way to solve the issue for pics that already exsited.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

Yes, I heard something about having to pay, but I was just wondering since EA has a lot of influence and power and those were pic that were here on the site long before Photo Bucket no longer offered free space to host pictures, if EA couldn't try to look into a way to solve the issue for pics that already exsited.

Oh I see. When we post photobucket pics they are not actually posted or uploaded directly onto this web. We insert the direct link to the photobucket album. It's 3rd party web viewing. When we upload an Avatar here we can do that directly from our PC. If you look at the empty photobucket pic you posted in that link, click on it and it will take you directly to photobucket.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I agree it's unfair to tell us one day we now must pay for everything you uploaded previous to it being a paid website. holding our pictures hostage so to speak. I just used it for sims pics and I have them stored in my computer. It must be worse for those who may have uploaded family photos.

You will also get an empty picture if someone posted a link that no longer exists if someone took their picture off photobucket and deleted the link. I have seen that issue in here when photobucket was free.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    It's a common misunderstanding, often from newer users (clearly the OP understands), that photos are actually "on" the forum when we see them rather than links to where they actually live. A forum the size of this one would require massive amounts of storage space to handle the volume of pics that members post here and it would cost tons to maintain such an ongoing file store.

I really like the idea of EA negotiating with PhotoBucket though for the existing now broken looking threads. Wonder if such would even be possible. Could be mistaken, but PhotoBucket is not coming across as being especially kind or caring about its customers, and the free ones are still customers regardless, through all of this.

@EA_Mage
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    It's a common misunderstanding, often from newer users (clearly the OP understands), that photos are actually "on" the forum when we see them rather than links to where they actually live. A forum the size of this one would require massive amounts of storage space to handle the volume of pics that members post here and it would cost tons to maintain such an ongoing file store.

I really like the idea of EA negotiating with PhotoBucket though for the existing now broken looking threads. Wonder if such would even be possible. Could be mistaken, but PhotoBucket is not coming across as being especially kind or caring about its customers, and the free ones are still customers regardless, through all of this.

@EA_Mage

Thanks, it would be nice if EA could help restore the missing ones if a person had not removed them from PB and they were posted here before PB ever started charging.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It is sad what they did to Photobucket. I never used it myself but so many people from all over the world have lost years worth of pictures

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited December 2017
    I know this is not this site fault or Maxis/EA. Everyone knows photobucket photos don't work here anynmore. However, this is my question:

Can't you guys fix the pics that were imbedded here a year or two ago? Which were already on the site in people's stories and picture threads? Is that possible? thank you. An example of missing pics uploaded here in 2016 by a player is in the The Sims Medieval section..all those missing pictures someone posted now we can't see them. :/

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/875437/favourite-screenshot-or-tell-your-tales-tsm-edition/p1

So I'm not the only one expeirincing this after all. Didn't see this thread till I posted mine. I have tweeted SimGuruDrake and Nick.

Edit
    What I'm expeirincing doesn't seem to be related. I go to paste and nothing happens.
  • Options
    CheyTheHumanCheyTheHuman Posts: 56 Member
    Photobucket stinks now. If you wanna embed images on forums and stuff, You will have to either fork over 400 big American boffos for a annual subscrption on there or start up a account on a different, free site like Imgur or TinyPic.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Photobucket stinks now. If you wanna embed images on forums and stuff, You will have to either fork over 400 big American boffos for a annual subscrption on there or start up a account on a different, free site like Imgur or TinyPic.

Ridiculous :(

I was on another site the other day, I cannot even remember what for but it was full of dead photobucket links. Most of the stuff was only from last year as well so I had to leave that site and find something else.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

So I'm not the only one expeirincing this after all. Didn't see this thread till I posted mine. I have tweeted SimGuruDrake and Nick.

Edit
    What I'm expeirincing doesn't seem to be related. I go to paste and nothing happens.

Nothing happens in the image box we use here if I try to post a pic in one of the free services, either. It never has the brackets like it used to, so I don't know what I do wrong. Someone told me I have to get the BBC code or something but then on that free service there isn't a link on my pictures to get a BBC code or something as they describe so it just winds up as a link I can post in replies but not embed.
  • Options
    pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member

Edit

Nothing happens in the image box we use here if I try to post a pic in one of the free services, either. It never has the brackets like it used to, so I don't know what I do wrong. Someone told me I have to get the BBC code or something but then on that free service there isn't a link on my pictures to get a BBC code or something as they describe so it just winds up as a link I can post in replies but not embed.

Have you tried Postimage? When I post a pic to the forums, I right click on the image and click 'copy'. Then I open the image box here, click 'paste' and enter it and that's it! I've never had any problems using Postimage to post pictures :)

It is horrible what they did with Photobucket. They should have at least left the pictures that already existed alone. After all, there was no requirement to pay when they were originally posted.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member

"Free" Photobucket can still be used to warehouse your photos (up to a "data" limit-- meaning either a bunch of small JPGs or a handful of BMPs) and you can access and download them as you please. Third party "hosting", on the other hand is where they want the cash, and the only way EA and anyone else who hosts photo links could "negotiate" with them is to pay them some of the sum they would want each user to pony up to receive the benefit of 3rd party hosting.. something I wouldn't hold my breath for. Photobucket does cost money to operate and apparently they weren't getting enough revenue from ads, so I can't really blame them, either. We all get so used to so many free things online, myself included, that we actually get a bit miffed when a site decides they need some revenue to keep their sites running.

On a side note... just wait 'til next year when MOrcuSoft begins converting Windows 10 to their "WaaS" system-- "Windows as a Service". ---Meaning eventually anyone who uses Windows will have to get used to paying for it each month-- initially for Corporate users of their Enterprise platform which will be $7 per month. Don't pay? Your system rolls over and plays dead.

Linux here I come...
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    Miki wrote: »
    "Free" Photobucket can still be used to warehouse your photos (up to a "data" limit-- meaning either a bunch of small JPGs or a handful of BMPs) and you can access and download them as you please. Third party "hosting", on the other hand is where they want the cash, and the only way EA and anyone else who hosts photo links could "negotiate" with them is to pay them some of the sum they would want each user to pony up to receive the benefit of 3rd party hosting.. something I wouldn't hold my breath for. Photobucket does cost money to operate and apparently they weren't getting enough revenue from ads, so I can't really blame them, either. We all get so used to so many free things online, myself included, that we actually get a bit miffed when a site decides they need some revenue to keep their sites running.

On a side note... just wait 'til next year when MOrcuSoft begins converting Windows 10 to their "WaaS" system-- "Windows as a Service". ---Meaning eventually anyone who uses Windows will have to get used to paying for it each month-- initially for Corporate users of their Enterprise platform which will be $7 per month. Don't pay? Your system rolls over and plays dead.

Linux here I come...

@Miki If Windows decide to do that, I'm getting Linux for sure! I don't care if half my games don't work, just as long as I don't have to pay out more money to Microsoft! :/
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Linux here I come...
    I remain unconvinced that the sky is falling just yet. ;)

Everything I have read about WaaS states that the bolded parts above are just not true. "As a Service" in this context means the method of delivering updates, not that our operating systems will run off of the cloud and only when supported by monthly fees like Office365 or Adobe products can do. The $7/month being talked about now is for small(er) businesses that want Enterprise level scheduled patches and updates rather than the free ones that might in the future release in bundles less often. It's not meant to be mandatory.

Unless you mean maybe after the year 2025 when what we know today as Win 10 is scheduled to go out of support? It's possible that some of my information is outdated though, and the entire network I manage is still on Win 7 except for the servers, so it would be reasonable to say that I am more than a little resistant to change. :) Can you link me to a trustworthy looking source that says otherwise about WaaS?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    It might help if EA bought up Photobucket! Only joking >:)
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    It might help if EA bought up Photobucket! Only joking >:)

Why not? Disney just bought up over a dozen of Century 20th Fox assets and now own History Channel, National Geographic etc.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member

Linux here I come...
    I remain unconvinced that the sky is falling just yet. ;)

Everything I have read about WaaS states that the bolded parts above are just not true. "As a Service" in this context means the method of delivering updates, not that our operating systems will run off of the cloud and only when supported by monthly fees like Office365 or Adobe products can do. The $7/month being talked about now is for small(er) businesses that want Enterprise level scheduled patches and updates rather than the free ones that might in the future release in bundles less often. It's not meant to be mandatory.

Unless you mean maybe after the year 2025 when what we know today as Win 10 is scheduled to go out of support? It's possible that some of my information is outdated though, and the entire network I manage is still on Win 7 except for the servers, so it would be reasonable to say that I am more than a little resistant to change. :) Can you link me to a trustworthy looking source that says otherwise about WaaS?

I know, kinda off topic which was PhotoBucket, but on-topic as far as Big tech is concerned:

I work in I T but not for MorcuSoft, so my information is probably as good as yours.. or not, but I'm going by the fact that they didn't give away Windows 10 for nothing-- for nothing-- and while Windows 10 "expires" in 2025, they haven't said anything I know of to indicate if there will be a "next edition" a "Windows 11" so to speak. From the vibes I get is that these "Feature Upgrades will keep coming, as they have said, and eventually, instead of releasing an entirely new version, the Windows 10 name will simply fade from use by then. They want to do this for two reasons. One is to avoid what they ran into as businesses and individuals stuck with XP (and now "7"-- almost all of my company's clients insist on stickling with 7 Enterprise, while the rest made the humungous jump to "8.1",)--so long they had to extend its service life and second, they will charge corporate clients for the service, but then comes "guesswork" from me. Like the fabled neighborhood pushers who hovered near secondary schools with the line "The first one's on me, kid." The overall plan is to get everyone hooked on this new WaaS baloney to the point where they will be able to stick a "maintenance fee" in there and who is going to be able to just pull the plug on them?

An old version of my thinking comes from what they did with pay TV. No one is going to pull the cable and run off OTA. They simply can't.

And cell phones. They give you the minutes and bend you over on the data. It is at the point where I couldn't buy a smartphone service without being soaked for more data than I'll need (I don't have one because they're addictive and I cannot get a plan with less than 2 gB of data, already more than I need).

.. and iPhone X? $1000 or thereabouts for something that, by Spring of 2019 Apple will call "Old Junk" and entice the masses to buy into the next one for probably $1200-- because people are hooked.

Sorry--- All this is my long-winded way of saying "When it comes to greedy big business, if it even resembles a duck, it is one".

They'll start charging, and well before 2025.

I hope I am all wet with this suspicion, but nevertheless I repeat

"Linux, here I come."

• Options
    @Miki - You're right, this is way off-topic and sorry to extend your side note quite as far as I did. But I'm afraid what you are presenting are long-range predictions, not actual plans on the table (as far as we can see the table) for which home consumers need to take any kind of action for many years. And your predictions may well hold true, or partially true, although not today or next year. So again, if we must riot in the streets to protest that's great but there's really no point in entering Panic Mode just yet.

But anyway, the solution here is obvious. EA should buy out both Photobucket and Microsoft. Then they can make us boot up our computers and manage our sharable photo collections all by way of Origin. Problems solved. >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Maybe they should just buy Visa or Mastercard so that whenever they decide to start charging us for a service, they can just add the fees to our statements without needing anyone to opt in. Or maybe if they bought a bank or two they could just deduct the money from our accounts without telling us. What are you going to do? Not play computer games? I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    What are you going to do? Not play computer games? I'll believe it when I see it.
    (Shuffles deck of 52 playing cards) There's a fresh pot of coffee on and I have snacks. All set for a fun night of Old School style solitaire over here. Hey, it's what we used to do for fun when there was nothing on TV... ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    (Shuffles deck of 52 playing cards) There's a fresh pot of coffee on and I have snacks. All set for a fun night of Old School style solitaire over here. Hey, it's what we used to do for fun when there was nothing on TV... ;)

Funny, I actually learned to play solitaire on our first computer (it came installed, and my mom was more the "games are for learning skills; no SimCity for you" type). When I tried to play with actual cards, I just got annoyed that I had to move the piles of cards myself.

Personally, I was hoping you'd suggest blackjack or some version of poker so I could count cards and take all your money join you for a purely noncompetitive few rounds. And I'd be happy to bring something to add to the coffee. I am a little bit Irish, after all.