Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed

Comments

• Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    EmoFlowers wrote: »
    I know this thread is from July, but I adore these ideas!
    I was playing two teenage neighbors and kept jumping between their houses to make sure they were getting good grades, etc. Then the boy's grandma dies while I'm playing the girl. I go back to his household and THAT'S when I find out. That was when I realized how broken it is. :pensive:
    He's not in mourning, his mom isn't in mourning - it's almost like Grandma never existed at all! And since I wasn't playing his household I don't get an urn for her. It's infuriating.
    I love all of these ideas. I really hope they're implemented one way or another. Without modders :lol:

Thank you so much! I'm sorry you had to deal with that in your game. I know exactly how you feel. I hope we get changes to the death mechanics soon. It makes rotational play difficult.
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    EmoFlowers wrote: »
    I know this thread is from July, but I adore these ideas!
    I was playing two teenage neighbors and kept jumping between their houses to make sure they were getting good grades, etc. Then the boy's grandma dies while I'm playing the girl. I go back to his household and THAT'S when I find out. That was when I realized how broken it is. :pensive:
    He's not in mourning, his mom isn't in mourning - it's almost like Grandma never existed at all! And since I wasn't playing his household I don't get an urn for her. It's infuriating.
    I love all of these ideas. I really hope they're implemented one way or another. Without modders :lol:

@EmoFlowers , I00% agree!
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Nice to see even the Gurus struggle to kill Sims via electrocution. It seriously took me two years to finally get this death type:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Nice to see even the Gurus struggle to kill Sims via electrocution. It seriously took me two years to finally get this death type:

Well, that makes me feel better about spending so much time on getting a fried sim myself. I still haven't forgotten this thread, hope we will see something done about this next year. It is just such a downer for rotational play. There are about 15 households that I play often, I can't sit out every single elder waiting for a natural death.
  • Options
    @Scobre - Thanks for sharing that, haha! I wonder if @simgurugraham is aware of this thread and how many problems Simmers have with death mechanics in the game?

@SilentKitty - I feel your rotational pain so much! It's so sad having to run around my game bumping off elders so that I can have their family actually notice they've died AND give them a tombstone.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    @Scobre - Thanks for sharing that, haha! I wonder if @simgurugraham is aware of this thread and how many problems Simmers have with death mechanics in the game?

@SilentKitty - I feel your rotational pain so much! It's so sad having to run around my game bumping off elders so that I can have their family actually notice they've died AND give them a tombstone.

At least it is something to do for my evil, mean master vampire :D

Sometimes it is the red pool of death and other times I just give them the vampire-trait and let them stand in the sun. I use the lot in the upper left corner on Windenburg Island for "culling". At least other sims won't walk by and see their unpleasant future.
  • Options
    speaksimilishspeaksimilish Posts: 4 New Member
    i wish we would get random scenes that turn into moments like in Sims 2 when a sim gave birth there was a play scene, I don't know what you would call that but i would love the return of those.
  • Options
    I should share it with him @Terra. It was nice talking to him about starvation, drowning, and electrocution last night. I kept teasing one of the Gurus that he died more in his game than my Sims, but then again Fornite is a brutal game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    edited October 2017

They all know, but why should they care if the game is selling..

It also annoys me and I've already asked them about this on Twitter.

I wish it worked like in The Sims 3..

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2017

Bummer! Graham wouldn't even bother using his developers skill to...idk ... perhaps modify the game that is easier to kill a sim via electrocution? No need to feel struggle, Graham, we understand you ;)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member

The real question here is: Why would he be testing something about a death type?
  • Options

The real question here is: Why would he be testing something about a death type?
    He had some ideas, but we'll see how it pans out. Probably has to do with the washer and dryer making sure those work properly.
  • Options

He had some ideas, but we'll see how it pans out. Probably has to do with the washer and dryer making sure those work properly.

@Pancakesandwich & @Scobre , excellent question! :o I think Scobre is correct in that it has something to do with the new washers & dryers and repairing those. :) But, I'm also hopeful it has something to do with an upcoming weather/seasons pack! o:) A girl can dream! ;)
  • Options
    rainbovvsushirainbovvsushi Posts: 4 New Member
    I agree. Once my Sim died of old age and the others were mourning except of my teenaged Sim, who was at school at the time. It was sad and funny to watch when everyone was crying except from her.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Well, we got an unannounced change to death mechanics in the new patch, though it's not any of the ones we asked for here:
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Ok, so is this from the patch or one of my mods: IodZE2H.png

What do you all think? This seems like a headache for rotational players who want important family ghosts not to disappear on their own, but otherwise might be good at keeping ghost populations under control?
    Post edited by Terra on
  • Options
    Well, we got an unannounced change to death mechanics in the new pack, though it's not any of the ones we asked for here:

What do you all think? This seems like a headache for rotational players who want important family ghosts not to disappear on their own, but otherwise might be good at keeping ghost populations under control?

@Terra , I agree that this might become a nightmare for certain styles of players! :#:'(:s Instead of this, they should have added some kind of toggle where you can have the physical connection slowly fade or not fade at all! ;)
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    PugLove888 wrote: »
    Well, we got an unannounced change to death mechanics in the new pack, though it's not any of the ones we asked for here:

@Terra , I agree that this might become a nightmare for certain styles of players! :#:'(:s Instead of this, they should have added some kind of toggle where you can have the physical connection slowly fade or not fade at all! ;)

agreed I don't like it at all
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    @PugLove888 and @comicsforlife - Thanks for your feedback!

What I really want to know is what this means for culling and family trees. I don't know if @Neia has any insights? (Tagging because of your expertise in the culling thread!)
  • Options
    WHOA, big change here people!
    It's funny you ask, I actually just posted about this in a separate thread haha, I can copy/paste:

Ghosts in households (including non-active and NPC households) that live in the worlds will generate tombstones upon their death, including when you are not on the lot and they die. Ghosts/Tombstones now have their own culling timer as well, that when going below a threshold the tombstone gets a new interaction called 'Strengthen Connection to the Physical World' which resets the culling timer for that Sim.

This way the user can control what dead Sims they want to keep around while letting others expire on their own. And when they expire they get sent to the netherworld and are culled.

Just asked him to clarify whether they've really changed it so that Sims generate tombstones "including when you are not on the lot and they die"!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SORRY FOR THE TRIPLE POST BUT PEOPLE, WE HAVE A BIG UPDATE HERE!

This was NOT mentioned in the patch notes, but SimGuruNick confirmed it for me!!
    WHOA, so housed Sims will generate tombstones upon death even when we're not playing them??? @SimGuruNick
    That's correct. As long as they lived in a house you should be able to find their tombstone on their home lot.
    And if you can't find the tombstone on their home lot, possibly because the game couldn't find a good spot to place it, the fallback would be the family's Household Inventory :)

Any housed Sim, whether played and active, played and inactive, or unplayed, WILL produce a tombstone upon death. No more running around your game prematurely offing all the Elders you want tombstones for! Controlling the dead is back in YOUR hands!
  • Options
    SORRY FOR THE TRIPLE POST BUT PEOPLE, WE HAVE A BIG UPDATE HERE!

This was NOT mentioned in the patch notes, but SimGuruNick confirmed it for me!!
    WHOA, so housed Sims will generate tombstones upon death even when we're not playing them??? @SimGuruNick
    That's correct. As long as they lived in a house you should be able to find their tombstone on their home lot.
    And if you can't find the tombstone on their home lot, possibly because the game couldn't find a good spot to place it, the fallback would be the family's Household Inventory :)

Any housed Sim, whether played and active, played and inactive, or unplayed, WILL produce a tombstone upon death. No more running around your game prematurely offing all the Elders you want tombstones for! Controlling the dead is back in YOUR hands!

@Terra, thank you (and @SimGuruNick) for this information! o:) This is a huge help for many people! <3
  • Options
    SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    This is one of the better parts of the patch for me and it didn't even make the notes! (The other being roofs and that alien abductions are once again possible without cheating!) very excited that I know longer have to death watch sims like a vulture to have their tombstone!
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I think it would be nice if we could get a notification if an out-of-household family member who actually has some relationship (positive or negative, as long as they're present in the relationships panel) with one of our current sims dies. One of my current sims lost both his mother and father, but I only found out about his dad dying from glancing at his relationships panel and seeing him all ghosty, and his mom through running into her ghost at a nightclub. Something about that is not quite right...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    I think it would be nice if we could get a notification if an out-of-household family member who actually has some relationship (positive or negative, as long as they're present in the relationships panel) with one of our current sims dies. One of my current sims lost both his mother and father, but I only found out about his dad dying from glancing at his relationships panel and seeing him all ghosty, and his mom through running into her ghost at a nightclub. Something about that is not quite right...
    @SimsLovinLycan , I agree! it seems disjointed and impersonal! :'( With TS4 having its main focus on emotions, this is a lost opportunity for the game! :(
    Ironically, there is a pet cemetery in Brindleton Bay that came with the Cats& Dogs EP! :o But I haven't had a pet die in-game yet, so I don't know if all who know the pet will be sad, or only those who witness its death. I did hear that pets can only die of old-age though! o:)