Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed

Comments

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
  • riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    @riccardouga - That is some nice CC!

Yess :smile::heart:

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Can you actually put a Sim in one of those?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Oh if sims were able to write wills that would be so great. I hope we get a system where we can choose any family member or friend, also in other households, and they would get money or inventory objects when the sim dies. Similar to TS2, but with more customisation for story telling.

I would love this, for objects in particular! But I would also like a money inheritance system to have an inheritance tax/death expenses so that all my Sims aren't megarich after a few generations.
    @riccardouga - That is some nice CC!

Agreed! I'd love funerals and wakes in the game. And a cemetery, with the option to have it not actually haunted.

All of @Terra 's OP etc. would make playing generationally much more fulfilling and rich.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    This is nothing new to Me since I have been asking for Graveyards since day 1 as well as other stuff in My Items that Sims 4 needs thread for ages now, But I do agree, it is a great idea, I do hope they will be added sometime soon, but I can only hope that is the case, since I do not use CC or Mods in my game cause I can't, I have to rely on what EA and Maxis add into the game, which so far is not much at all for My Gothic game play.
    @PHOEBESMOM601 - Not normally. From the description on MTS it sounds like you can also download a pose mod for storytelling screenshots, but it doesn't have any gameplay functions that make it a coffin in real time.

@luthienrising - Thanks very much. It would definitely ease and deepen generational gameplay if some of this stuff got fixed. :) I think that it would be easy to make graveyards optionally not haunted if we could banish the ghost to the Netherworld with the click of a button. I don't think we could do that in TS3? Not sure.

@BlueBlack007 - It's true, graveyards have been on a lot of players' lists for a long time!
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    @PHOEBESMOM601 - Not normally. From the description on MTS it sounds like you can also download a pose mod for storytelling screenshots, but it doesn't have any gameplay functions that make it a coffin in real time.

@luthienrising - Thanks very much. It would definitely ease and deepen generational gameplay if some of this stuff got fixed. :) I think that it would be easy to make graveyards optionally not haunted if we could banish the ghost to the Netherworld with the click of a button. I don't think we could do that in TS3? Not sure.

@BlueBlack007 - It's true, graveyards have been on a lot of players' lists for a long time!

Thank you so much for saying so, much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Autumn_CatsAutumn_Cats Posts: 347 Member
    Yes!! Yes to everything! I only let my sims die from old age (I'm too connected to see them in ANY pain, lol) but this is awesome
  • KlueniiKluenii Posts: 90 Member
    edited October 2016
    I've mentioned my blog page previously on this discussion in regards to a workaround for getting tombstones when a sim has died when not in your control. Another simmer, @Daniel_USA has taken the time to make a video using my walkthrough! I thought I'd share his work here...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4FV6Tq_1EY
    Post edited by Kluenii on
    Thanks for sharing your walkthrough, @Kluenii! I'm sure that will help many Simmers while we wait for these issues to be officially addressed.
  • MissMahooMissMahoo Posts: 208 Member
    I love all of the ideas above. It seems a little odd that such an inevitable stage in life is so neglected.
    I also wish that we had a few different options of gravestone's. It doesnt have to be anything too fancy, just maybe something like we had in previous games. Depending on how successful our sins were, the bigger and more elaborate gravestone. I thought that was a nice touch in earlier games.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Potential Solutions: Generate a tombstone or urn in an unused spot on a lot if a Sim dies while a player is not on the lot. Or, provide a graveyard (see below) to which graves are automatically sent. Or, notify a player when any Sim in the neighbourhood dies and give them options including banish to the Netherworld and generating a tombstone.

Yes please! Some way to get a gravestone for the sims that die when you are away!! This is one major problem I currently have in Sims 4 with my legacy.
  • FutureGildaRFutureGildaR Posts: 12 New Member
    I think a mausoleum mechanic would be fantastic! Maybe have a teeny little lot just for that building so you can go pick up the urn or tombstone. Or if they don't want to bother with creating a physical location, maybe it could be a rabbit hole or you could have an active sim "call the morgue" and choose from a catalogue of the deceased. Since ghosts run rampant after a generation or two, there's clearly some sort of list of the dead somewhere in the code, right? As a rotational player, I've eventually just settled on having only my active household age so I can be there to witness the death and collect the tombstones. With as many families as I play, that can be tiresome at times, but I can be a bit controlling.

On a side note, I also make sure I play through each family as they age so they can actually bond and withstand the constant relationship culling if I'm not right on top of them. That along with the death mechanics make the relationships in Sims 4 feel a lot more shallow than in past iterations. I just want them to care more when bad things happen.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sorry if I'm being boring, but just wanted to add this picture here. All eight ghosts are uncontrolled.
    11-07-16_6-37-17nbspPM_zpsbupydlbe.png
    edited November 2016
    @MissMahoo - Yes, it would be nice to have more diversity in gravestones!

@SilentKitty - I feel you there. Legacy players have to deal with this a lot.

@FutureGildaR - All good ideas!

@luimistelija - Thank you for posting that. That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about - very annoying.
    Post edited by Terra on
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'd have to add my thumbs down on the way death is handled right now in Sims 4, too. My sim became a young adult, moved out to the big city, but stopped in at home from time to time to visit his parents. Just now, he was singing karaoke out in a bar, enjoying himself, when he happened to look in his relationship panel and found his mother's portrait grayed out. So it's, "Oops, looked like mom died. On to the chorus". Seriously. No notification, no nothing. What happened to the sim's emotions being such a big deal? Pretty weak.

Edit: Actually, make that both parents are dead, now that I look at it. But party on, Sims.
  • SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    edited November 2016
    So After reading through this thread, I had a thought. It seems all these ghost sims currently exist as hidden households in household management - what if instead of asking for a complete overhaul of the death system we ask for something a little more simple, like can these households be "unhidden" and placed in their own category? Like the "not in world" category except maybe call it "beyond the grave" or something. That way players could delete any dead sims clogging up their world, even if no tombstone exists. It seems this capability is already somewhat there since a mod can do it.

To solve the no tombstone problem for family ghosts who die off lot, what about giving ghost sims the ability to "summon" their own tombstone? Or auto-placing the tombstone of sims who die off your lot in the ghosts own inventory? That way any ghost the player wants to save the tombstone of can be temporarily merged with a household by the player, who can then hand off the tombstone to the grieving family, and then if the player chooses the ghost can be merged back into their unplayed beyond the grave household?

I know this involves work on the players part, but it might be something a little more achievable since it's a solution that is essentially using mechanics already in the game. Thoughts?

Edited to add I totally agree Grimm's tablet should be sending family members and lovers death notices. I mean we can get texts from Grimm asking us on dates even though he can't even kiss, and texts from dead relatives congratulating us on job promotions, so why can't we get a text or call from Grimm saying, "hey your loved one died, sorry for your loss!" ?

• PapaToastyFreshPapaToastyFresh Posts: 11 New Member
    Sims 4 in GENERAL needs an overhaul. It's missing SO many little tiny actions that could turn it into a masterpiece. Why can't my sims lay down and watch TV? Why can't couples do the same?
    edited January 2017
    @ravynwolvf - Yes, I know what you mean. I got a notification from MCCC that my Sim's mother died while he was hosting a party, and he went on just as playful as ever with the party even though he and his mother had been very close. It just doesn't feel right and it cheapens the claims to emotional depth that Sims 4 goes on and on about.

@SkyeChimes - Those are some interesting ideas. I like the idea of a "Beyond the Grave" category. I'll add that to the OP.

@PapaToastyFresh - I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement in many aspects of the game. Death is a really important one for the Emotions system and for game mechanics so I really hope they make some changes.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    100% yes! You hit the nail on the head with this thread. You basically summed up every problem that I have with they way death is handled in the game. I especially dislike how if your sim dies while you aren't playing them you can't get their urn/tombstone. I also dislike how there's no graveyards or funeral party type or how ghost are always out living it up on venue lots. I think this is an area of the game that could use some major tweaks.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

aprilrose wrote: »
    100% yes! You hit the nail on the head with this thread. You basically summed up every problem that I have with they way death is handled in the game. I especially dislike how if your sim dies while you aren't playing them you can't get their urn/tombstone. I also dislike how there's no graveyards or funeral party type or how ghost are always out living it up on venue lots. I think this is an area of the game that could use some major tweaks.

Woohoo, thank you! I am crossing my fingers that some of these problems will be alleviated in the rumoured cemeteries addition to the game in anticipation of the vampire pack. Maybe adding an undead life state means they'll clean up the mess they've made with the dead life state? :lol: I actually had a dream last night that they added a "summon tombstone" feature and I came to this thread to post about it... maybe it will be prophetic...
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I just wish they would even out the emotional deaths. They promoted them quite heavily leading up to release only to make them incredibly difficult to achieve. The only one I have been able to achieve was the mortified death, and that took a significant amount of effort. Others like laughing to death, or the anger death have been impossible. Putting a sim in a room to spawn playful interactions, with playful decor all around - and they go from 'very playful' to 'playful'. What the heck! It's as if they intentionally made death a chore.

One example of this that has bugged me since launch day is how elders exclusive death by exhaustion is blocked by default. You get them 'very uncomfortable' and and certain interactions are greyed out and inaccessible. I don't see why, when the moodlet involved tells the player they will die if they keep up strenuous activity. There's workarounds, but that's incredibly inconvenient.
    edited January 2017
    I just wish they would even out the emotional deaths. They promoted them quite heavily leading up to release only to make them incredibly difficult to achieve. The only one I have been able to achieve was the mortified death, and that took a significant amount of effort. Others like laughing to death, or the anger death have been impossible. Putting a sim in a room to spawn playful interactions, with playful decor all around - and they go from 'very playful' to 'playful'. What the heck! It's as if they intentionally made death a chore.

One example of this that has bugged me since launch day is how elders exclusive death by exhaustion is blocked by default. You get them 'very uncomfortable' and and certain interactions are greyed out and inaccessible. I don't see why, when the moodlet involved tells the player they will die if they keep up strenuous activity. There's workarounds, but that's incredibly inconvenient.

Hmm, that's interesting. I have found that it is really hard to get my Elders to die by exhaustion. I remember having it happen earlier in the game, but lately I've been actively trying to get it with no success. I think they used to be able to WooHoo or keep exercising, but now you're right that it is greyed out. I agree that the happy decoration buffs make it hard to have an Angry or Embarrassed death, although my sister had an unintentional Anger death recently.
  • TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    What needs to be changed also is - when you turn off aging and your sim has been alive for many, many sim days, as a elder they take forEVER to pass away at the end. The green sim days of life just sparkles...and sparkles.. and spar.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg