Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed

Comments

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    What needs to be changed also is - when you turn off aging and your sim has been alive for many, many sim days, as a elder they take forEVER to pass away at the end. The green sim days of life just sparkles...and sparkles.. and spar.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Elders won't die of old age when aging is turned off.
  • TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    What needs to be changed also is - when you turn off aging and your sim has been alive for many, many sim days, as a elder they take forEVER to pass away at the end. The green sim days of life just sparkles...and sparkles.. and spar.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

What I forgot to mention is with aging then turned back on... so that elders can die! Not wanting to miss their death and gravestone.. theere's alot of waiting around sometimes :)
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Adding on this, I wish they would add 'age up' functionality to cakes for elders. A way for players like myself who play with aging off to still send their elder sims into the next life naturally instead of killing them off.

What I forgot to mention is with aging then turned back on... so that elders can die! Not wanting to miss their death and gravestone.. theere's alot of waiting around sometimes :)

Oh, I see what you mean - yes, I toggle back and forth between having aging on and off for my rotational play. :) Yeah, some people have reported Elders living for generations longer than they should. Personally, I like the variety, which leads two Sims who were born on the same day to die at different times. But when it's excessive, it seems more like a bug, and I have a hunch it might be related to how the game also falls behind on aging up Sims and carrying out pregnancies in a timely manner.

Adding on this, I wish they would add 'age up' functionality to cakes for elders. A way for players like myself who play with aging off to still send their elder sims into the next life naturally instead of killing them off.

This. This needs to be done!
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg

Oh, I see what you mean - yes, I toggle back and forth between having aging on and off for my rotational play. :) Yeah, some people have reported Elders living for generations longer than they should. Personally, I like the variety, which leads two Sims who were born on the same day to die at different times. But when it's excessive, it seems more like a bug, and I have a hunch it might be related to how the game also falls behind on aging up Sims and carrying out pregnancies in a timely manner.

Absolutely, I appreciate and like the varieties in how long they take to die. But it seems that the more sim days they technically live the longer they stay alive at the end. So picture this, I'm on generation 10 and I've picked that bachelor down the road who'd been in the neighbourhood since the beginning.. He's not going anywhere anytime soon! This is when I resort to... poor care and let them starve to death in a room with no doors...

68OUgVc.jpg

Absolutely, I appreciate and like the varieties in how long they take to die. But it seems that the more sim days they technically live the longer they stay alive at the end. So picture this, I'm on generation 10 and I've picked that bachelor down the road who'd been in the neighbourhood since the beginning.. He's not going anywhere anytime soon! This is when I resort to... poor care and let them starve to death in a room with no doors...

Hmmm, that sounds like a problem I've heard other Simmers report on the forum. I would be more inclined to see it as a bug than as a built-in feature that keeps Sims alive for that long based on how many Sim days they've lived... The game isn't always very good of keeping track. It's not just Elders who can go on having the candles for longer than they should - that happens to me with all age groups, and with pregnant Sims who are pregnant much longer than they should be.

Hmmm, that sounds like a problem I've heard other Simmers report on the forum. I would be more inclined to see it as a bug than as a built-in feature that keeps Sims alive for that long based on how many Sim days they've lived... The game isn't always very good of keeping track. It's not just Elders who can go on having the candles for longer than they should - that happens to me with all age groups, and with pregnant Sims who are pregnant much longer than they should be.

I assumed it was a bug.

Ah, I've never had it happen to any other age group in my game. Strange!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • EmeraldDSEmeraldDS Posts: 42 Member
    Fully agree with all of this! Especially the first point. I was throwing a birthday party for my Sims' daughter's future girlfriend, and because the Sim (father of the daughter) was an Elder nearing his death, he died during the birthday party... His partner was already dead and I had the partner's gravestone at the far end of the lot, but I didn't get the Sim's gravestone due to playing another Sim's birthday so there were no matching gravestones for the founders of the house... I put the partner's grave in the household inventory because it would've irked me to have his grave but not his partner's.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    EmeraldDS wrote: »
    Fully agree with all of this! Especially the first point. I was throwing a birthday party for my Sims' daughter's future girlfriend, and because the Sim (father of the daughter) was an Elder nearing his death, he died during the birthday party... His partner was already dead and I had the partner's gravestone at the far end of the lot, but I didn't get the Sim's gravestone due to playing another Sim's birthday so there were no matching gravestones for the founders of the house... I put the partner's grave in the household inventory because it would've irked me to have his grave but not his partner's.

Sorry that happened to you, but for Me when I know My Sims are Elderly and close to death, I keep them home no matter what, that way I do not have to worry bout losing the tombstones, but that is just how I do it .
    EmeraldDS wrote: »

Yep, that's exactly the kind of scenario I'm talking about! Sorry this happened to you and your Sims. It really annoys me not to have matching gravestones too, when I'm there for one partner's death and not the other.

Sad to hear that there will be no functional cemeteries coming with the Vampires pack. :(
    edited February 2017
    I updated the OP to add a link to @jessienebulous 's Obituaries topic - yet another way that in-game death could be better integrated into gameplay.

With the addition of Vampires, does anyone else have any new suggestions about how death could be improved in TS4 from that angle?
  • HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    Something I want them to improve.

They should stop giving all sims "sad" emotion every single time they witness death. Not every person are sad over stranger's death, right? Also, someone doesn't have to be 'evil' when they don't care about stranger's death. It's starting to be annoying when I have to deal with my sim's sad emotion for days when they accidentally witness a completely random stranger's death.
    Oh, also, Ghost should be not affected with sim's death... Why would a ghost be sad when someone else join their rank? lol.
  • AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    they should probably have a reaction to even a total stranger dying in front of them. I don't know about you but I would find that traumatic.
    I'd be agreeing with that when someone has Good / Squeamish / Family Oriented (someone who really cares about family prolly feels that way, right?) / Bro / Outgoing. But if someone is like... you know. living their life for career / ambition/ just basically ignorant wouldn't feel anything toward that random stranger. Someone like that is not always evil, they just don't care enough / having no feeling at all toward the dying person.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Vampires come with Coffins, I'm planning on making my sims appear dead and have him hibernate until I decide to wake them... the only flaw I see is when I rotate/travel with other sims is that he'll awaken.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Gullveig wrote: »
    Oh, also, Ghost should be not affected with sim's death... Why would a ghost be sad when someone else join their rank? lol.

Being a ghost doesn't mean that you lose all of your feelings though. It makes perfect sense even for a deceased mother to still mourn her child's death.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2017
    Gullveig wrote: »

Being a ghost doesn't mean that you lose all of your feelings though. It makes perfect sense even for a deceased mother to still mourn her child's death.

Not really. Unless the child is literally a child (died too soon to live a full life and the mother is left traumatized for that, know what I'm saying?). While both of the sims death - what's there to cry? It's not like ghost see each other on a rare basis. However, in sims&ghost situation-- that's a little questionable.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    sorry op but i am clearly againts death in a game like the sims so in the game there should be no death at all

I don't see how you play this game at all when you're "against" everything in it lol
    edited February 2017
    When a ghost mourns, I always interpret it as that they are sad for those who are living because they know they will miss the Sim. My Sim Korgan was already a ghost when he witnessed his wife Minerva's death, but all of their living children were there too to witness it, so even though he was happy that he would be reunited with her, he was sad for his children because he knew they would miss her.
    When a ghost mourns, I always interpret it as that they are sad for those who are living because they know they will miss the Sim. My Sim Korgan was already a ghost when he witnessed his wife Minerva's death, but all of their living children were there too to witness it, so even though he was happy that he would be reunited with her, he was sad for his children because he knew they would miss her.

In this case, ghost should have a unique mood (de)buff when they mourn. They are not sad because someone is deceased, they are sad because they are leaving someone (which they can talk with whenever they wish to).

but I'm still with my own opinion. Sad mood debuff needs to be nerfed. Give it to only some sims with specific traits or sims who have an actually decent relationship with dying sim. Not just random person.
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    This needs to continue to be bumped because I'd love to see all of those improvements, and I hope the devs read this because there are many good ideas here.

Death in TS4 currently feels a bit meaningless and it's unfortunate.

I too was disappointed that they didn't add functional cemeteries to the Vampires GP, but I suppose that would be something they'd want to patch in rather than tie it to a specific pack. Either way, I hope we get them soon.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    aging off is the best way to play in my book no death nothing i prefer to have my sims live for ever and why do you still bump a dead topic that should remain forgoten
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2017
    aging off is the best way to play in my book no death nothing i prefer to have my sims live for ever and why do you still bump a dead topic that should remain forgoten

It shouldn't be, because you're such a hypocritic (I remember you bumped a "laundry" petition) and nobody likes listening to self-centered people like you :) Did you even read what this thread is all about? You're comment "sorry op but i am clearly againts death in a game like the sims so in the game there should be no death at all" is irrelevant.

1.Sims already can die in the game. (Under option menu there is a toggle option to disabled it)
    2. This thread in no way or form gonna ruin your game by adding the following op suggested features, in which are gonna do to (your tweaked) game... exactly what?

Don't like your sim leaving gravestones? Then DISABLE death in the game.
    Don't like the idea of sims witnessing and crying/reeacting-some-way-negative over it? Just keep death disable, like how it is currently in your game, and you will never encounter the problem.
    Don't wanna see graveyard venue? Bulldoze it.
    Don't wanna see funerals or wakes.? Again, disable death: nobody dies = no funerals/wakes happen.
    Don't wanna.... all these issues can simple be prevented If you disable the god 🐸🐸🐸🐸 death in the game.

The Last part of the comment is a abit offender to me. You make a fuss about it (which is what you usually tend to do across the forums), because your 1st comment in here isn't relevent and feels like you're trying to prevent something for your own selfish reasons, when all of those problems can be simple be remedy with your click of a button ;)

*Happy Simming*

Back to the Topic: I like the ideas that the OP shared with us, and I like most or if not all. Though, I think the concept of "annoucing deaths on the computer" should only be witnessed by those that are close to the sim (thus added in their "friend" list), and If we get any sort of Superstart-ish/Showtime-ish EP, deaths of ALL celebrities (with at least 4 starts) should be announced.

ETA: Wanna add a thing (that you may have already in mind): "Inform of Death" should be autonomous interactions by townies and what not. And to maybe a little more tiny touch: a VERY rare chance of the witness not informing the death of a sim to the proper sim (just to add a bit of drama, ya know? Keepin' secrets for some of their valid sake reason) Of ecourse, seeing loved one's grave should inform of the death right away no matter what the conditions are met.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg