Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed

Comments

• Options
    MSKMSK Posts: 17 New Member
    Definitely some solid ideas here. One of my sims was a hotshot doctor that wasn't serious enough about any of his partners and then the minute he met a woman that kept him in check, they got serious and he proposed, his parents died. Like as he was on his way to tell them. I was not happy about that... I mean it makes for an interesting story but I would've preferred to have known. Worst part is his baby mama inherited his parents' house/his childhood home. I never really liked her all that much...
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    MSK wrote: »
    Definitely some solid ideas here. One of my sims was a hotshot doctor that wasn't serious enough about any of his partners and then the minute he met a woman that kept him in check, they got serious and he proposed, his parents died. Like as he was on his way to tell them. I was not happy about that... I mean it makes for an interesting story but I would've preferred to have known. Worst part is his baby mama inherited his parents' house/his childhood home. I never really liked her all that much...

Thanks for sharing your story too, MSK - this is a great example of how the current death mechanics in the game cheapen the game's claims to emotional complexity.
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    @Terra , I agree that mourning is very important and that I don't like playing with ghosts in TS4 the way I did in other versions of The Sims. If I remember correctly, didn't TS4 not originally have ghosts and they were later added in an update? This might be the reason that that there are sooo many problems with death in TS4, because it was just tacked on as an afterthought and not really fleshed-out (Pun intended!).
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    @PugLove888 - Yes, it's true that ghosts were not in the base game of TS4 but were added in a patch. Family trees were also missing. I agree with you that it shows that working out proper death mechanics was not a high priority. It's not a very "flashy" feature but it makes such a difference to gameplay, so I really hope they address some of these issues soon.
  • Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    SkyeChimes wrote: »
    That is a TOTAL urban legend. As someone who has intentionally killed off a considerable sum of sims, I can assure you, that does not happen. I was attempting to get some of the death related achievements, also attempting to create ghosts for a graveyard, ghosts killed in specific ways, ....basically a number of justifications to attempt killing sims, and having killed every sim on the lot more than once, can very emphatically assure you that the lot does NOT change lot type, does not become a church, does not become a graveyard, etc. you will have a residential lot with a number of tombstones/urns on it though.

Actually that is reassuring lol, I did not like the thought of it. I have had 3 sims die while playing - once in the Sims 3 the service repairman fried repairing the dish washer while standing in a puddle - the whole family was traumatized. Then in the Sims 4 two members of the household died in a kitchen fire because I did not know to put the thingy for the fire alarm outside of the house.

Zoe
  • Options
    simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    Did the marital links work in TS2? At least it didn't for me, only pre-made sims that were already gone to the other side when you first start the game had marital bonds. If a sim died during gameplay the bond would disappear. Annoyed me then, and is still annoying in TS4 to the point that I often make a couple have a child just so that their bond will live on.
  • Options
    simlander wrote: »
    Did the marital links work in TS2? At least it didn't for me, only pre-made sims that were already gone to the other side when you first start the game had marital bonds. If a sim died during gameplay the bond would disappear. Annoyed me then, and is still annoying in TS4 to the point that I often make a couple have a child just so that their bond will live on.

Oh, I didn't know that about TS2 - I rarely let my Sims die back then, so I was basing my understanding off how the premade Sims kept their bonds. Interesting! And same, I often give couples children for just that reason.
  • Options
    Funny how TS4 thinks that since my husband and I can't have kids then if one of us dies, our relationship never existed! :'( I'm a bit offended by that! :s
  • Options
    PugLove888 wrote: »
    Funny how TS4 thinks that since my husband and I can't have kids then if one of us dies, our relationship never existed! :'( I'm a bit offended by that! :s

I know, it bothers me too. I have a lot of couples who wouldn't normally have kids (some gay couples, couples with incompatible pregnancy settings b/c one is transgender, elderly couples) and I feel like I'm forcing a kid into the story where one doesn't belong just to make sure that Sim's love story doesn't get ousted from the family tree as soon as they die.
  • Options
    @ Terra, I agree that it is sad! :'( these are our stories to tell and even though I love families, not every Sim story should have a child.
    I do have a question since I haven't played multiple generations with adopted children yet: do you know if adopting a child will make the adoptive parents marriage link permanent even after death or not? I'm asking because I have an elderly couple who adopted a school-aged child and when one of them dies, I want to know if they will be linked in their family tree! ;) Thanks
  • Options
    PugLove888 wrote: »
    @ Terra, I agree that it is sad! :'( these are our stories to tell and even though I love families, not every Sim story should have a child.
    I do have a question since I haven't played multiple generations with adopted children yet: do you know if adopting a child will make the adoptive parents marriage link permanent even after death or not? I'm asking because I have an elderly couple who adopted a school-aged child and when one of them dies, I want to know if they will be linked in their family tree! ;) Thanks

The family tree doesn't discriminate between adoption and birth, so I think that those two Sims will stay linked on the family tree. :)
  • Options
    SydcupcakesSydcupcakes Posts: 79 Member
    I like this idea! Really would like funerals and more personalized moodlets when a sim dies. For example, my main sim's mom died and her twin brother texted her something like "I am sorry for your loss" when it was his mother too. Maybe he should have showed up at the house and grieved with his sister.
  • Options
    @Terra , thanks for the confirmation! I'm happy to hear that my elderly couple who adopted will probably still be linked after death! :)<3
  • Options
    OoAtomicKittenoOOoAtomicKittenoO Posts: 47 Member
    I never thought about this, but the death system could use some work. My friend the grim reaper doesn't get enough screen time :wink:
  • Options
    I like this idea! Really would like funerals and more personalized moodlets when a sim dies. For example, my main sim's mom died and her twin brother texted her something like "I am sorry for your loss" when it was his mother too. Maybe he should have showed up at the house and grieved with his sister.

@Sydcupcakes , I agree that that is unsettling from our perspective that a Sim wouldn't grieve their own mother, but instead console a sibling for their loss! It is as if the brother didn't like his mom but still was sad for his twin that did like their mother! :o While I'm sure there exists in the real world situations like this, it is far from the norm! It could make an interesting story, but it would have to be one you wanted to tell in the first place. :|
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2017
    Do Sims with death flowers in their inventory not get spared death? I know there is the option to give Grimmy a death flower (performed by another Sim), but I thought in Sims 3 he would let you live awhile longer and take it from you.
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited July 2017
    This!! This!!! I went through hades and back just trying to get the gravestone from one of my favorite sim's when he died. Almost cried irl thinking he was gone forever!! They really need to fix that!

Edit: Oh my this is from 2016. I did not notice. Lol.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    rosethesimmerrosethesimmer Posts: 109 Member
    I wish there were graveyards in TS4. It would be more realistic. I also think that there should be more "random" deaths. I think that sims could die of things like severe weather (like in a Seasons expansion), or also the meteor thing explained earlier.
  • Options
    @Sydcupcakes - Totally agree with you there. That consolation text from someone equally affected by the loss rings odd whenever I see it.

@OoAtomicKittenoO - Yes, it would be great if they did a little more with the Grim Reaper. :smiley: It's something a lot of us were hoping for with the idea of the Dangerous Stuff Pack, but sadly that one didn't get chosen.

@drake_mccarty - I don't know, as I've never had a death flower in the game before. Maybe @rosemow can answer your question? :)

@ElenPink - I know exactly how you feel. It's awful when you realise one of your favourites has died while you were playing someone else, and then your Sim is trapped in this weird ghost limbo without a tombstone. And don't worry - this thread is almost a year old, but it gets updated fairly regularly. It's meant to be a collection of many different ideas about how death could be improved in the game, so it's good that it stays alive. :)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Do Sims with death flowers in their inventory not get spared death? I know there is the option to give Grimmy a death flower (performed by another Sim), but I thought in Sims 3 he would let you live awhile longer and take it from you.

Hello
    Another sim needs to offer the death flower to the Grim Reaper to plead for the life of the sim to be spared. Sims can't save themself by having a death flower in their inventory,
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your help, @rosemow!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Ah thanks for the info.
  • Options
    EmoFlowersEmoFlowers Posts: 325 Member
    I know this thread is from July, but I adore these ideas!
    I was playing two teenage neighbors and kept jumping between their houses to make sure they were getting good grades, etc. Then the boy's grandma dies while I'm playing the girl. I go back to his household and THAT'S when I find out. That was when I realized how broken it is. :pensive:
    He's not in mourning, his mom isn't in mourning - it's almost like Grandma never existed at all! And since I wasn't playing his household I don't get an urn for her. It's infuriating.
    I love all of these ideas. I really hope they're implemented one way or another. Without modders :lol:
    !! Mermaids !!

RIP Princess (July 4, 2001 - January 11, 2016)
    RIP Misha (May 1, 2011 - July 2, 2016)