Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another year... another half baked EP

Comments

• Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    edited November 2017
    love the way were being talked about is if we are not here lol I HATE CITY LIVING if I could uninstall it and keep it uninstalled I would. Can not build apartments, can not have them out side of M and the list goes on its the worst exp ever so many restrictions. the reason complaints stop is because whats dun is dun, not because we start liking it lol such condescending looking posts hope it makes you feel good (not you Steve Storm :)).
    Post edited by geoffreypa on
  • Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    That is what the pet house were for lol like the tent that's the big reason people are getting upset now ill probably have to explain to my brothers kids that no cats and dogs dont procreate like that, if they dont already know lol. first time I saw it was about 6. how old is the age group for this game 4.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Monday wrote: »
    Okay, so, I know there's a whole thread dedicated to this elsewhere, but.

I don't understand the whole 'no doghouses' thing. The EP has pet-sized doors. One could easily build their own doghouse, yes?

I know, it doesn't have the woohoo/sleep etc options if you build your own, but, build your own doghouse, or even a dog palace, and slap a bed in there.

But, then again, I want the world more than the pets, I don't think Brindleton Bay is too small, and I'm very happy that the pets are not controllable.

I feel like it's reasonable to voice some concerns that seem glaring, but after a certain point you have to draw the line and just wait until the EP comes out. You can speculate and let developers know what you want, but you cannot review a product without playing it firsthand or at the very least, knowing all of the details...details that will not be known until it is released and people play it in full.

When I first saw the Parenthood trailer, I wasn't impressed. Having watched all the official videos (note Cats and Dogs has one more official livestream to go) and then playing Parenthood, I love it.

So. I don't know. There's a fine line between expressing concerns and bashing something before experiencing it. Etc etc.

The problem with building your own dog house is you can't place roofs on half walls. If you use regular walls the dog house would be gigantic and be more akin to a dog shed. Not everyone wants giant dog houses as it looks a little erm unusual.

The other problem is if the house has a foundation, the dog house will also have a foundation and that looks a bit silly for a dog house.
    It would be great if they’d allow roofs on half walls in a patch then. Maybe something for the Ideas corner? (or maybe they thought of it already)

Maybe they will implement it. Does seem bizarre to go from having nine dog beds in the sims 2 to I believe almost as many in the sims 3 to then go to a grand total of two flat rug things in the sims 4. I would love to know the Gurus logic.

There were only 2 dog beds in 3 as well, one for big dogs and one for small dogs. I wasn't on the forums at the time but from the way people are acting like 2 pet beds is a new thing I'm assuming they weren't criticised for that last time, if so it's not surprising they thought 2 would be enough this time. Can't say I like the style of them as I would prefer a more traditional pet bed but the number came from 3 not 4.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »

I don't understand the whole 'no doghouses' thing. The EP has pet-sized doors. One could easily build their own doghouse, yes?

I know, it doesn't have the woohoo/sleep etc options if you build your own, but, build your own doghouse, or even a dog palace, and slap a bed in there.

But, then again, I want the world more than the pets, I don't think Brindleton Bay is too small, and I'm very happy that the pets are not controllable.

I feel like it's reasonable to voice some concerns that seem glaring, but after a certain point you have to draw the line and just wait until the EP comes out. You can speculate and let developers know what you want, but you cannot review a product without playing it firsthand or at the very least, knowing all of the details...details that will not be known until it is released and people play it in full.

When I first saw the Parenthood trailer, I wasn't impressed. Having watched all the official videos (note Cats and Dogs has one more official livestream to go) and then playing Parenthood, I love it.

So. I don't know. There's a fine line between expressing concerns and bashing something before experiencing it. Etc etc.

The problem with building your own dog house is you can't place roofs on half walls. If you use regular walls the dog house would be gigantic and be more akin to a dog shed. Not everyone wants giant dog houses as it looks a little erm unusual.

The other problem is if the house has a foundation, the dog house will also have a foundation and that looks a bit silly for a dog house.
    It would be great if they’d allow roofs on half walls in a patch then. Maybe something for the Ideas corner? (or maybe they thought of it already)

Maybe they will implement it. Does seem bizarre to go from having nine dog beds in the sims 2 to I believe almost as many in the sims 3 to then go to a grand total of two flat rug things in the sims 4. I would love to know the Gurus logic.

There were only 2 dog beds in 3 as well, one for big dogs and one for small dogs. I wasn't on the forums at the time but from the way people are acting like 2 pet beds is a new thing I'm assuming they weren't criticised for that last time, if so it's not surprising they thought 2 would be enough this time. Can't say I like the style of them as I would prefer a more traditional pet bed but the number came from 3 not 4.

Those were actual beds, these are rugs. It's not the quantity.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Those were actual beds, these are rugs. It's not the quantity.

I already said I didn't like the style, I was just responding to someone saying that TS3 had the same number as TS2.
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member

It's symbolic.

Doghouses are such a barebones, basic part of a Pets expansion and for whatever reason they're not here. Most people went into this arguing dogs and cats would be more detailed than ever since we're not getting horses or small pets, and then we come to find we're missing basic things like doghouses, dogs sleeping on sim beds, or varying pet beds. It basically takes the idea that Dogs and Cats will be more detailed and destroys it.

Additionally, we have no doghouses, but we have a laser-guided litterbox. This is reminiscent of Sims 4's questionable launch, where we had no toddlers, no hot tubs, no firefighters and no swimming pools, but they gave us a cupcake factory and a rocketship. The laser-guided litterbox and other such objects show that they should've had time for things like doghouses and dogs sleeping on beds, and yet they didn't use it on some of the most basic, barebones features. This has us questioning how well managed the project is.

To top it all off, we're simply not seeing many (or any) new pet interactions that bring something new to the table. A lot of us are still asking what exactly the selling point of these new pets are, why we should spend $40 on them and what they offer us that the cats and dogs in Sims 2 and Sims 3 did not, and this question still hasn't really been answered. On that front, this alongside the absence of doghouses really amplifies concerns that this pack is severely lacking in features that it should have.

All and all, it's the canary in the coalmine: it's the missing feature that showed it's head first and set off alarm bells, causing a lot of people to grow concerned this pack isn't all it's cracked up to be. The individual feature itself isn't that pivotal, but it absolutely causes concern that similar features will be missing, that greater features could be missing, and that the overall end product will not be the greatest.

It is the responsibility of the developer to provide us with those details as teaser information to encourage sales and attentiveness. We are basically one week from release and they've yet to show us anything meaningful for the pets themselves. All of the gameplay footage from youtubers basically shows the pets functioning exactly as they would in Sims 3.

The developers have zero motivation to "hide" gameplay from us. I mean look at the result: people are worried there's absolutely nothing worthwhile in this pack. That kills hype, that discourages sales, and that's not something they want. There's already been a handful of posts by users saying they changed their mind and won't be purchasing this pack.

Despite that, the devs remain silent. They don't throw info at us when people grow concerned, and they don't throw out info to keep people interested. The logical conclusion is that they don't really have anything interesting to show off. This is a completely logical assumption to expect the worst at this point because we're one week away from release day and they still haven't shown much of anything about the Pets themselves. How long must we wait before we begin to judge and brace for the worst...? 5 Minutes before launch...?

There is a truth to the idea it could still have features to show off, but there's also a truth to the idea I might spontaneously be struck by lightning today. Just because it's possible doesn't make it likely, especially given that we have evidence to the contrary.

I completely agree. I'm certain that if there were any other exciting gameplay elements they hadn't shown us, the youtubers wouldn't have hesitated to show them, considering so many of them become so hysterical about any new features. You could argue that they have something special that they've embargoed from the youtubers, but I think it's extremely unlikely considering they've never done it with any other packs.

And I agree about the selling points. When you look at it, the Sims 1's selling point was having pets in the game. The Sims 2's selling point was more fleshed out 3D pets with personalities, pet careers, pet skills etc. The Sims 3's selling point was controllable pets and horses. What is different about the Sims 4 pets? I can't think of anything, infact they're a downgrade in many ways. I know we haven't had the vet career before, but that is not the pets themselves, it's an extra. And frankly it appears to be a copy and paste from GTW doctor career and DO. It was easy for them to do it. I'm certain that had we not already had the previous packs to give them the foundation, we would not have had the vet career. Tbh I would've rather had no vet career but really well done pets. After all the pets will be making up the core focus of the pack, the vet is a side activity. And if pets can't die of illness then what's even the point?
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Dog houses will come in a pack especially since they learned that they can break apart packs, sell everything separately and Sims fans will still drool over the deceit
  • Options
    Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    Dog houses will come in a pack especially since they learned that they can break apart packs, sell everything separately and Sims fans will still drool over the deceit

So far they didnt sell anything related to an expansion in a pack. I doubt we will get dog houses in an SP (or small pets GP) because to use the doghouse you would need dogs from the expansion... its just stupid, why was it so hard to add such a basic item?
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2017

Well I don’t use cc, the last time I checked the sims 3 a few days ago the total number of pet sleeping beds/doghouses was way more than 2.

I just double checked:

It has The Lil Critter Pet bed
    Bow Wow wowzer pet bed

Low country living pet house
    The twin tandem pet house

Not to mention cats can sleep in the condos.

So actually the sims 3 has double the pet sleeping beds/areas the sims 4 has.
  • Options

Well I don’t use cc, the last time I checked the sims 3 a few days ago the total number of pet sleeping beds/doghouses was way more than 2.

I just double checked:

It has The Lil Critter Pet bed
    Bow Wow wowzer pet bed

Low country living pet house
    The twin tandem pet house

Not to mention cats can sleep in the condos.

So actually the sims 3 has double the pet sleeping beds/areas the sims 4 has.

To me dog beds and dog houses are 2 separate things. TS4 and TS3 provided 2 pet beds, TS3 also provided 2 pet houses which I see as a separate issue. Anyway I don't want this to sound nitpicky, fair enough if you meant places to sleep, it just sounded like you were referring to actual pet beds. Personally I don't use dog houses and their addition wouldn't solve a lack of pet beds for me.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Pet beds in Sims 3 were actual pet beds not floor mats. Additionally pets could sleep in the pet houses, or on any bed/couch. We get get 2 floor mats in Sims 4 that they are calling pet beds. There’s no pet houses, and dogs can’t sleep on beds at all. The criticism is beyond justified.

It’s also important to note that The Sims 3 Pets Limited Edition content included additional pet content. That was the only edition available for a good minute after it released, so there were technically 3 pet beds in Sims 3 not counting the various other places both cats and dogs could sleep.
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I will be honest I have seen pet beds that are just a comfy mat, either way most cats and dogs don't care... on Sims 3 I bought my cat a cat condo and the cat still chooses to sleep on a newspaper, and oddly that's how must pets are in real life! For instance I bought my RL German Shepherd a comfy pet bed to go in her igloo house and she pulled it right out and tore it up, she absolutely did not want that thing in her house, she prefers just an empty house with a dog light in winter. I even have a mini igloo for my RL cat and she don't want to sleep there she'd rather sleep in trees... I have also seen many other RL animals that just don't want all of that, they'd rather sleep on a floor over a comfy bed which I admit is odd but that's just how they're made. In the beginning pets never had all of this fancy shmancy stuff, they used to be strictly outdoors, but because of man most are pampered an raised indoors.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    In every EP, and GP. We always get the people who judges to early about the game. I'm not to hyped on pets never was but I want my Sims to have a cat or a dog maybe both. Also what really intrigued me was the vet clinic because that was never in the game before that we can have a vet better yet become the veterinarian. I'm surprised we got the vet. Also CAP I love it as well.

I disagree, when I watched information and trailers about Vampires, I could see they would be the best in series. When I watched trailer and info videos about toddlers I could see they were the best in the series. These pets, no. Also, restaurants in TS4 are the best as far as being seated, ordering and getting your food without someone stealing it, and reordering and table conversation. I could see that, I can't see these pets are the best..no not hardly. ETA: I think if this had been built as a GP more focus could have been toward the pets and their objects and interactions and it would have been better since GPs are always better in TS4 than their EPs.

The pets are better, but the things the Pets have access too, not so much.

The animations of Pets for S2/S3 were terrible stiff considering they were from the Urbz. These Pets look lifelike.

But there is a lack of stuff, which I think doesn't make any sense. I almost think we would have been better off without a new world, so that they didn't have to worry about new furntiture to match the world.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    dogs didn't have many objects in sims 3
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

This only every happened with The Sims 3 store (eg. Island attire and objects (including the Surf Machine) when Island Paradise launched).

The Stuff and Game Packs never corrospond to any Expansion Pack.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

The animations of Pets for S2/S3 were terrible stiff considering they were from the Urbz. These Pets look lifelike.

Do you have a source on this? I find it interesting that the PC versions of Sims 2 and 3 would use animations from a console/handheld game.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

Cats and Dogs weren't the only focus of Sims 3 Pets though. The Sims 3 version was able to bring us a few other pets as well. I assume because of this there had to be some balancing between the resources.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited November 2017
    I will be honest I have seen pet beds that are just a comfy mat, either way most cats and dogs don't care... on Sims 3 I bought my cat a cat condo and the cat still chooses to sleep on a newspaper, and oddly that's how must pets are in real life! For instance I bought my RL German Shepherd a comfy pet bed to go in her igloo house and she pulled it right out and tore it up, she absolutely did not want that thing in her house, she prefers just an empty house with a dog light in winter. I even have a mini igloo for my RL cat and she don't want to sleep there she'd rather sleep in trees... I have also seen many other RL animals that just don't want all of that, they'd rather sleep on a floor over a comfy bed which I admit is odd but that's just how they're made. In the beginning pets never had all of this fancy shmancy stuff, they used to be strictly outdoors, but because of man most are pampered an raised indoors.

And there are some that prefer the comfy stuff than the flat-hard surfaces. Speaking of outdoors, you still lose the game - no dog house. You either stuck having a dog sleep outside on the ground (because, let's be honest, a dog cushion would look out of place) or having them sleep inside on a piece of blanket. And If you're really out of a luck it's a big dog and not a small one or cat, because all the possibilities luxury possibilities (a sim bed, a comfy pet bed and a dog house) are all out of the question.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options

Dogs still have more objects than the sims 4 and they have skills and more traits. But dogs were not the only focus they had cats, birds, turtles, snakes,horses, deer, raccoons and unicorns to worry about,
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited November 2017
    I've watched xurban sims video, the sims supply and iron seagull.

My thoughts are I find it weird that none of them mention lack of dog beds.
    I haven't been convinced by game play because the only spontaneous pet behaviour I saw was in the Sim supply's video when his sim unleashed the dog and it went and rolled autonomously. I want to see what pets do when left to their own devices because my concern is they will do not much.

It does bother me that their portraits are not clickable but yet they are sims in essence.

Pet instagram- so the pets can become famous but our sims can't? Or is this just like the social media skill?

Bit of a kick in the teeth the pack comes with a (all be it decorative) grave yard for pets. But players have been calling out for grave yards because they will are essential.

That's because all of the videos are sponsored by EA. I'll stop watching overviews/reviews from those youtubers now because they are basically an extension of EA marketing. Some of them always were, but now it's official. Every last one of them is identical, right down to the disclaimer that -- wait, don't judge the game yet, it's not finished.

I'll stick to youtubers that aren't so closely tied to the company. I'm not trying to be rude, but I will be honest: I'm more likely to trust the unvarnished opinion of someone who isn't jockeying for a spot at the next Sims camp.

One last thing: if some are not allowed to critique a game because it hasn't been released yet, how about no one is allowed to praise it either? It would be only fair, right?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »
    I've watched xurban sims video, the sims supply and iron seagull.

My thoughts are I find it weird that none of them mention lack of dog beds.
    I haven't been convinced by game play because the only spontaneous pet behaviour I saw was in the Sim supply's video when his sim unleashed the dog and it went and rolled autonomously. I want to see what pets do when left to their own devices because my concern is they will do not much.

It does bother me that their portraits are not clickable but yet they are sims in essence.

Pet instagram- so the pets can become famous but our sims can't? Or is this just like the social media skill?

Bit of a kick in the teeth the pack comes with a (all be it decorative) grave yard for pets. But players have been calling out for grave yards because they will are essential.

That's because all of the videos are sponsored by EA. I'll stop watching overviews/reviews from those youtubers now because they are basically an extension of EA marketing. Some of them always were, but now it's official. Every last one of them is identical, right down to the disclaimer that -- wait, don't judge the game yet, it's not finished.

I'll stick to youtubers that aren't so closely tied to the company. I'm not trying to be rude, but I will be honest: I'm more likely to trust the unvarnished opinion of someone who isn't jockeying for a spot at the next Sims camp.

One last thing: if some are not allowed to critique a game because it hasn't been released yet, how about no one is allowed to praise it either? It would be only fair, right?

I agree with so much of your post!
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    edited November 2017
    Hi, I've received a few reports from various comments throughout this thread and would like to remind you to please be mindful of the forum rules and how your comments can read.

To add to this, there is an existing active dedicated thread discussion surrounding doghouses open HERE. Please aim to keep all doghouse posts to that thread so as not to spam this thread. Failure to do so would result in the closure of this thread and individual follow-up as spamming is against the forum rules. Thank you.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    In every EP, and GP. We always get the people who judges to early about the game. I'm not to hyped on pets never was but I want my Sims to have a cat or a dog maybe both. Also what really intrigued me was the vet clinic because that was never in the game before that we can have a vet better yet become the veterinarian. I'm surprised we got the vet. Also CAP I love it as well.

I disagree, when I watched information and trailers about Vampires, I could see they would be the best in series. When I watched trailer and info videos about toddlers I could see they were the best in the series. These pets, no. Also, restaurants in TS4 are the best as far as being seated, ordering and getting your food without someone stealing it, and reordering and table conversation. I could see that, I can't see these pets are the best..no not hardly. ETA: I think if this had been built as a GP more focus could have been toward the pets and their objects and interactions and it would have been better since GPs are always better in TS4 than their EPs.

The pets are better, but the things the Pets have access too, not so much.

But there is a lack of stuff, which I think doesn't make any sense. I almost think we would have been better off without a new world, so that they didn't have to worry about new furntiture to match the world.

Where is this coming from? The Urbz shared the game engine with The Sims 2 on PC, but aside from that they were two completely different games. They didn’t copy animations from The Urbz to the Pets EP (or base game) in Sims 2, and they most definitely didn’t copy Pet animations from Sims 2 to Sims 3. That is unequivocally false and you know that, please stop knowingly spreading lies - it’s not fooling anyone.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    OP I'd wait till tomorrow to make up your mind as the gameplay embargo lifts tomorrow.

I hope we can see death by old age in at least one video...
    If there is, I'll create a new discussion for it.

I better be careful how many I make, I don't want to kill them, aging off.