Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Family is Extremely Poor -- Any Advice?

ThatAwkwardSimmerThatAwkwardSimmer Posts: 88 Member
I have a family. Two YA sims, and their kid, a toddler. I got a double bed, toddler bed, enough stuff for them to keep all their needs up. They're living on quick meals, and as of now, have only 482 currency whatevers. The mom paints, and the dad can write. A sink is broken, but I'm working so hard to keep the needs of my sims okay that I've not found the time to fix it.
Do you know what I can do to help them get more money? The mom also autonomously paints, making money get lost.
FlawlessFirstBernesemountaindog-max-1mb.gif

Comments

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Get both YAs painting - non-stop.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    motherlode for 50k
  • Options
    motherlode for 50k
    That is terribly, terribly, terribly naughty.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    For another quick fix, collect and sell rocks, crystals, metals, frogs. Harvest produce from around the various lots and sell that. Gardening and selling produce from your garden can be a money-maker but takes times.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited August 2017
    Keep up the painting it will eventually turn around and she will start making a LOT of money. Do you have City Living? If so send one of them to the romance festival and check the planter boxes there for the Dragon Fruit. Harvest them and then plant them when you get home. Gardening takes a bit of time but Dragon Fruit can earn you a TON Of money.

Don't fret too badly about their needs unless they're in the yellow (well except for the toddler's keep on top of the toddlers). As soon as you can get yourself a counter and make a couple of group meals of the ones you don't need a stove for and then use those to feed the toddler (don't bother with a high chair) you can pull those out and direct the toddler to grab a serving yourself without needing to distract the parents from their tasks. Keep the parents eating quick meals if you feel you have to but keep in mind quick meals are not as filling as regular meals so you're actually breaking them from their tasks more then you need to my subsisting them on quick meals so you'll have a bit more time to fix broken things that way.

@catmando830 some people find it more fun to not use money cheats. I am one of them.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Painting is a really good way of making money - it soon starts rolling in - plus, Sims like painting. Those suckers can be worth a few thousand a piece - you can make thousands and thousands in a day (eventually).
  • Options
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Painting is a really good way of making money - it soon starts rolling in - plus, Sims like painting. Those suckers can be worth a few thousand a piece - you can make thousands and thousands in a day (eventually).

Thanks! :) I'll try to get both of them painting, then! My female sim just made one worth about 200 dollar thingies, which was helpful!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    If you have the Get Together EP you can have a painting club on your lot. You can get your Sims' friends to paint on your lot AND YOU GET TO SELL THE PAINTINGS!!!

Non-household Sims that paint on your lot do not own their paintings - you can simply sell them. It is brilliant - you can make probably $20,000+ a day from them.
  • Options
    Great! I have all the EPs, Outdoor Retreat, and Dine Out (or whatever it's called.) So I hope I'll be able to get a painting club!
  • Options
    Yeh, make sure to set an activity of Painting then they will just auto-paint - plus, they will love painting.

Your Sim that is the leader of the Club can do what they want - watch TV, etc - just sell the paintings when the Sims finishing painting them - then they will paint more.

You will need to put easels on the lot for them to use.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I'd say enjoy the game. That's the best thing about the game - challenge :)
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »

Thanks! :) I'll try to get both of them painting, then! My female sim just made one worth about 200 dollar thingies, which was helpful!

Writing can eventually really pay off as well since you get the daily royalties -- you have to get up to about level 5 writing though before you can sell to the publisher which really brings in the money. I'd say keep your writer writing (and practice writing) as much as possible.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    Can't one of them get a job? Or potentially both get jobs and send the kid to daycare (which is free by the way).

I do like to play poor families for the rags to riches type of story though, but it's pretty easy to make money.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited August 2017
    Painting and writing and gardening are the best money makers I've found in the game. Slow to start, but once you get going, you'll have more money then you can spend. I like writing cause I can eventually stop writing, yet they will still bring in royalties. I save up all books until they get to level 5, and then I mass sell all books to publisher. You make a bit more money that way, vs the $1 or $2 simoleons from those first few books. I've found that saving them for a couple days to publish don't really make that big of an immediate difference but does help income selling only to publisher and literary digest. Painting is good cause you can make a lot of money, but once you stop, that's it. The money flow stops. Gardening is a bit more involved and requires a lot of work, unless you get the free services reward and hire a gardener. But they don't come on weekends, so you still have to take care of the garden on Saturday and Sunday, so UFO fruits and Dragonfruits are the best bet, and keep the garden manageable.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited August 2017
    if you have city living get this thing and sell her paintings marked up to 300%
    you can have a yard sale or take it in public.
    tumblr_ounbtl9pJO1wuwrhxo1_1280.png
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    This isn't for money, but I was recently playing a teen and his toddler sister, and at one point their electricity got shut down, and their fridge was broken. I didn't have enough money to pay the bills, let alone fix the fridge, so these guys had no meals.

I moved a group of his friends in next door, and when I was really in a bind, he would go there to hang out and study, but also to cook and bring food home to his sister. The way I'm playing this household, the friends know about their situation, and are just trying to help out.

You can try and work other sims in so that they can help, especially if you're in a really tough situation w/ bills/money. And it can help make the stories more interesting!
  • Options
    JMConceptJMConcept Posts: 123 Member
    You have two sims of working age. At least give one of them a day job and increase their performance so you can have a solid income. The second sim can paint or do whatever "side hustle" you desire.
    a742kT4.jpg
  • Options
    JMConcept wrote: »
    You have two sims of working age. At least give one of them a day job and increase their performance so you can have a solid income. The second sim can paint or do whatever "side hustle" you desire.

One of my sims does have a job. Oops, forgot to mention that.
  • Options
    PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    The painting and the writing will eventually make gobs of money. They just need to spend a good amount of time getting doing these activities to get the skills up and then they'll end up rich.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    you can get one sim to harvest plants depending on the neighbourhood this could be quite lucrative until their painting skill takes off.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    My painter sim would sell paintings at the flea market, she made from 8k to 12k each time till the kids were all in school and she got a job. Also, blackberries, which can be found in Oasis Springs park in the back close to the fishing spot at the cave and also somewhere close to the Landgraabs, I believe, anyway, this is also a cash crop that really pays off.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    Duke_DarkwoodDuke_Darkwood Posts: 59 Member
    Get the writer a job. Art gets better payoffs, but early on, having some consistent income helps, so get the writer a job, and have the painter keep painting to raise skill.

The above suggestion of scouring the neighborhood for collectibles to sell is also pretty sound. If either Sim has the "Collector" trait for choosing a knowledge first-aspiration, they have higher odds of finding rare stuff, too.

Oh, and the currency is Simoleons. Been the case throughout the Sims series and at [i]least[/i] since SimCity 3000. You can even type the § sign for it in simple ASCII, Alt+21 (21 on the Num pad); in the real world it's something called a "section sign".
  • Options
    sunblond wrote: »
    My painter sim would sell paintings at the flea market, she made from 8k to 12k each time till the kids were all in school and she got a job. Also, blackberries, which can be found in Oasis Springs park in the back close to the fishing spot at the cave and also somewhere close to the Landgraabs, I believe, anyway, this is also a cash crop that really pays off.

Great! They live in Oasis Springs. Also, how do you sell at the flea market? I don't usually go to festivals, so I'm not sure how they work. :/
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    When you go to the flea market there will be a big board where you can load inventory, your paintings have to be in your personal inventory, then start selling and mark them up to 300%
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I have a family. Two YA sims, and their kid, a toddler. I got a double bed, toddler bed, enough stuff for them to keep all their needs up. They're living on quick meals, and as of now, have only 482 currency whatevers. The mom paints, and the dad can write. A sink is broken, but I'm working so hard to keep the needs of my sims okay that I've not found the time to fix it.
    Do you know what I can do to help them get more money? The mom also autonomously paints, making money get lost.

Omg we had the exact same family in the same situation. I never cheated them money but I built them a new house with infinity money. But if you don't want any form of cheating, keep working at your sims' skills.