Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Just Might Be The Last PC Version

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2017
    Stormsview wrote: »
    I actually picked up "Theme Hospital" awhile back when Origin had it "On The House". I didn't have to pay a cent for it. I haven't played it yet, because I've been busy with my Sims (2, 3, and 4) families.

This game has been free on and off, even with a different platform. I just hope this guy has the game, he seems to love it a lot. :)

I tried playing "Theme Hospital" in Windows 10 (Creators Ed.) last week and it did play, but a bit erratically in it's own DOS box and keep thinking that if EA can make this play why on earth cannot they give us a Virtual CD setup that can work The Sims, Sim Golf, SimCity Societies etc., which refuse to run on Windows 10. I bought the last in their sales last year and feel cheated.

Sims before could be transferred to Sim Golf and SimCity 4 but if Microsoft are giving up on their mobile phones they couldn't be transferred from Android ones could they?
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2017
    Given the rate of technological progress, I don't think this will be the last full fat version of The Sims, whether on PC or not. Even if a Sims 5 on PC never happens, intellectual concept stuff gets rebooted, maybe on some platform that hasn't even been conceived of yet.

I played some VR demo on a PS4 of a game that was like a very basic sims - sorry can't remember what it was, was at a friend's house - you directed little people to do stuff basically.

Sims in VR would be flat out awesome. Apparently, third person perspective games work well in VR.

The upshot, IMO, is someone is pretty certain to do a sophisticated life sim game in the future whether it is EA or not.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Given the rate of technological progress, I don't think this will be the last full fat version of The Sims, whether on PC or not. Even if a Sims 5 on PC never happens, intellectual concept stuff gets rebooted, maybe on some platform that hasn't even been conceived of yet.

I played some VR demo on a PS4 of a game that was like a very basic sims - sorry can't remember what it was, was at a friend's house - you directed little people to do stuff basically.

Sims in VR would be flat out awesome. Apparently, third person perspective games work well in VR.

The upshot, IMO, is someone is pretty certain to do a sophisticated life sim game in the future whether it is EA or not.

lol, :) Who wants to be a sim in a Virtual Reality game or a VR game lol. Can you imagine having to actually go to the bathroom each time your sim has to go, cooking eating each time they do? When you send your sim out to jog, get up off that couch lol. :D and you go jogging with your sim.
    I guess that guy who said he gets jealous of his sim because they are fit and he sits there stuffing his face with potato chips. :D He won't have to worry about that for long. because he would, in the long run, be as fit as his sims.

You wonder why Sims is not a VR game. it's because they rather invest money into the way people truly play the Sims or the majority of games. yeah, the lean back kind of play we all love and are used to. or the slightly been over your smartphone kind of play.

But the truth is it's not the way the majority play at the moment. So why invest a lot of money on it.

Another point is when you're playing your Sims game on your PC It can be a shared experiences with family or friends. But if it's on VR headset or anything VR only the player themselves is able to experience it.

Sure Virtual Reality games are highly impressive and can give you a great workout. But they just do not have more appeal to the majority of today's buyers. Why? game buyers do want that laid back relaxing type gamer experience, you get with your Pc. or mobile devices.

You remember playing the game, But you forgot the name of the game. I suppose you could have asked your friend?
    So Maybe the game impressed you Not? Enough to buy the game, which was, the reason they gave a demo, You demo, you buy. Not forget the name. Right. :)

VR is not new...This early form of virtual reality was invented in 1957 but was not patented until 1962.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    Honestly If sims leaves PC thats it for me. I'm a PC gamer through and through, the only exception being Nintendo. I hate mobile gaming. Its all micro transactions. Honestly though they have sims freeplay and this stupid new phone app which is more micro transactions. I still think we could see sims 5 but I think 4 still has a long way to go. They are stretching it out more than previous releases for sure.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    edited July 2017

lol, :) Who wants to be a sim in a Virtual Reality game or a VR game lol. Can you imagine having to actually go to the bathroom each time your sim has to go, cooking eating each time they do? When you send your sim out to jog, get up off that couch lol. :D and you go jogging with your sim.
    I guess that guy who said he gets jealous of his sim because they are fit and he sits there stuffing his face with potato chips. :D He won't have to worry about that for long. because he would, in the long run, be as fit as his sims.

You wonder why Sims is not a VR game. it's because they rather invest money into the way people truly play the Sims or the majority of games. yeah, the lean back kind of play we all love and are used to. or the slightly been over your smartphone kind of play.

But the truth is it's not the way the majority play at the moment. So why invest a lot of money on it.

Another point is when you're playing your Sims game on your PC It can be a shared experiences with family or friends. But if it's on VR headset or anything VR only the player themselves is able to experience it.

Sure Virtual Reality games are highly impressive and can give you a great workout. But they just do not have more appeal to the majority of today's buyers. Why? game buyers do want that laid back relaxing type gamer experience, you get with your Pc. or mobile devices.

You remember playing the game, But you forgot the name of the game. I suppose you could have asked your friend?
    So Maybe the game impressed you Not? Enough to buy the game, which was, the reason they gave a demo, You demo, you buy. Not forget the name. Right. :)

VR is not new...This early form of virtual reality was invented in 1957 but was not patented until 1962.

Your mocking tone does you no favours and highlights your ignorance.

There is such thing as a seated experience, you know, or didn't you? You would not be the sim, but rather in the world as you are now, except the environment would be 360. where you would direct the sims exactly as you do now. You know? Laid back and chilled.

As for not asking my friend, I am not sure he would appreciate a call after midnight, so I can post in a gaming forum. I didn't buy the game because I don't own the kit, hence trying it a friend's.

I am also well aware of the history of VR and I think I will give the '57 tech a miss as surprisingly enough we have better tech now.

Finally, do you get much more exercise sat in front of your PC, eating whatever you eat, than someone sat in a chair playing a VR game? Have you tried eating with a VR headset on :grin:

Have you actually tried VR? Your comment suggests you haven't.

And FWIW, I enjoyed 'that guy's' thread as he showed a sensitivity and understanding of a medium which you don't seem to.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I guess its a good thing I actually enjoy sims 4 then. If it is the last one, then that gives me hope that they are going to give this one all they've got. I think all of the expansions we have gotten with Sims 4 have been better than sims 3. So Im really looking forward to their take on University and other game packs.
    University: study for three hours (check), talk to five roommates (check), read a comic book (check), get energized (check).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I guess its a good thing I actually enjoy sims 4 then. If it is the last one, then that gives me hope that they are going to give this one all they've got. I think all of the expansions we have gotten with Sims 4 have been better than sims 3. So Im really looking forward to their take on University and other game packs.
    University: study for three hours (check), talk to five roommates (check), read a comic book (check), get energized (check).

This made me chuckle :smile: )
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    After some googling I found the game I tried. It is called Tethered:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/tethered-ps4/

I enjoyed it. Was simple but a lot of fun.

I think it is an indicator of what could be done with the sims in a decade or four.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options

Your mocking tone does you no favours and highlights your ignorance.

There is such thing as a seated experience, you know, or didn't you? You would not be the sim, but rather in the world as you are now, except the environment would be 360. where you would direct the sims exactly as you do now. You know? Laid back and chilled.

As for not asking my friend, I am not sure he would appreciate a call after midnight, so I can post in a gaming forum. I didn't buy the game because I don't own the kit, hence trying it a friend's.

I am also well aware of the history of VR and I think I will give the '57 tech a miss as surprisingly enough we have better tech now.

Finally, do you get much more exercise sat in front of your PC, eating whatever you eat, than someone sat in a chair playing a VR game? Have you tried eating with a VR headset on :grin:

Have you actually tried VR? Your comment suggests you haven't.

And FWIW, I enjoyed 'that guy's' thread as he showed a sensitivity and understanding of a medium which you don't seem to.

oh nooo I was not mocking anyone, just thought it would be funny to really have to be a sim in a VR game play and it is funny. at least to me.
    Now having said that, I will speak on a more serious note. about VR and the mind.

Sitting down is all well and good but the VR experience can be much more immersive when you're standing up. If you're standing, try to stand in a location where some part of your body other than your feet can be brought into contact with something in the real world. Stand where you can easily lean sideways or backwards into a wall or where you can touch your calves to a chair behind you or your thighs to a desk or table in front of you. These practices give your proprioceptive system a third point of reference (in addition to your two feet) that can be used to balance your body around its center of gravity. The same principle is at play when people rest their hand on a railing while carrying out the balance-challenging activity of walking down the stairs.

Another thing you can do is stand on a hard surface like a hardwood floor or a thin carpet. Balance is harder to maintain on a compliant surface like a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 rug or a rug with a thick pad underneath. Surface stability affects the proprioceptive system and the nerves in this system begin to degrade and lose function when people are in their 40's. This is a small thing but it doesn't hurt to take a bit of extra care if you are of an appropriate age.

VR can lead to a loss of balance by causing vision's adaptive role to work against you. If what you are seeing in the virtual world is very compelling, vision can overwhelm the information you're getting from the the vestibular and proprioceptive systems. For example, people riding a stationary bike while experiencing a VR bike ride have a tendency to fall off the real bike because they lean into the virtual turns just as they would if riding a bike in the real world.

You don't need a stationary bike to lose your balance as a result of what's going on in your VR headset. If you are about to rush down the stairs in the virtual world, you may begin to lean backwards to shift your center of gravity just as you would if you were actually going down the stairs. A slight lean will stress balance; a more dramatic lean could lead to falling over backwards

Vision's second role in maintaining balance lies in coming to the rescue when information from the other two subsystems is either degraded or in conflict. If you are experiencing VIMS while looking at movement on a screen, the quickest way to reduce the nausea is to look away from the screen at something that is not moving. However, with VR you can't look away from the screen unless you remove the headset. VR induced VIMS is an indicator that balance is threatened.

Remember that VIMS is an early warning signal that the balance system is stressed. If you are feeling mildly nauseous, be aware that your balance may not be as stable as you think it is. This is especially important if you are standing. If VIMS becomes a problem, remove the headset and look at something around you that is not moving.

and no this is not mocking anyone. this is true. just saying. :)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    the only mobile games i really play are japanese rhythm/card games. you can consider me out for a sims 5 mobile.
  • Options

This is the kind of VR game I speak of. Not a headset I hate those. who wants to wear one right. and you have to keep removing the headset or barf. and that's not fun. Because our bodies are made in a way that it functions together. if your brain thinks it's doing one thing your body also reacts. That's why you get sick, with VR gameplay and you need to rest at least every hour for 15 minutes or longer. or maybe just stop if you're not feeling well.

This is the type I imagine us simmers with lol :D we are truly being a sim. (notice his mind and body is playing in the game) this guy is getting a workout.

https://youtu.be/ElEfcX8c9Fw
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    doedear wrote: »
    the only mobile games i really play are japanese rhythm/card games. you can consider me out for a sims 5 mobile.
    Why? When the day comes when EA can sell 50 big paid expansions for a mobile game too we will be in maybe year 2105 and the screen for your mobile phone will likely magically and automatically be seen on a big wall too. Besides that Sims 4 will have been dead in more than 50 yrs after having got maybe dozens of expansions ;)

So the problem is why simmers think that EA will wait so many decades after stopping with all TS4 releases before releasing TS5? Do you really need that long a break from the Sims games? ;)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    Why? When the day comes when EA can sell 50 big paid expansions for a mobile game too we will be in maybe year 2105 and the screen for your mobile phone will likely magically and automatically be seen on a big wall too. Besides that Sims 4 will have been dead in more than 50 yrs after having got maybe dozens of expansions ;)

So the problem is why simmers think that EA will wait so many decades after stopping with all TS4 releases before releasing TS5? Do you really need that long a break from the Sims games? ;)

:| ???
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

:| ???
    TS1, TS2, TS3 and TS4 have all been about the same thing: Selling a basegame and a huge number of expansions for this basegame in 4 to 5 years. They have also all been aimed at PC gamers. Why and how anybody can think that such a game suddenly can be made for mobile phones instead within the foreseeable future is beyond me!??!

Of course EA always have made other types of Sims games for both handheld devices and consoles and also sidegames for the PC. But we are here talking about TS5 and not the Sims Freeplay, the Sims Mobile, TS4 for consoles, TS3 for mobile devices or a sidegame like the Sims Stories games or the Sims Medieval. Of course EA will continue to make Sims games for mobile devices too and likely also PC sidegames and maybe even make Sims games for consoles again.

A Sims game called the Sims 5 will still be aimed on the same kind of customers who want a big basegame and as many paid expansions as possible. To make such a game into a mobile game would mean that EA should be interested in losing a billion dollars instead of earning them because anybody knows that paid games don't sell very well on mobile platforms and to make a paid Sims game with a lot of paid expansions for mobile devices would mean:
    1. The basegame had to be smaller but wouldn't sell very well anyway.
    2. The expansions would have to be smaller too but would sell even worse than the basegame already from the beginning.
    3. EA would therefore have to stop making expansions for such a game almost immediately unless EA wanted to lose even more money.

So why should EA want to make such a huge loss of money when it is obvious that EA instead just could make the Sims 5 into a bestselling PC game with likely even more profitable expansions than even the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 got???!

My point was that I can't know what will happen in a distant future. But if EA should find a way to make a Sims game with a lot of paid expansions for mobiles too then we are several decades out in the future and then it won't be called the Sims 5 (but maybe the Sims 20 instead) ;)
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,418 Member
    edited July 2017
    What is Samantha Ryan doing ?

After Lucy Bradshaw in 2015 (18 years in Maxis), Rachel Franklin in 2016, now Aaryn Flynn leaves BioWare after 17 years in this studio.

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/07/18/thank-you-for-everything/
  • Options
    LoverGal623LoverGal623 Posts: 47 Member
    Honestly if they go full mobile they'll lose a lot of loyal fans. I've tried time and time again to play the sims free play but I hate it. I hate having to wait minutes and hours and days in real time to get a couple simple tasks finished. If I'm gonna play Sims, I'm gonna PLAY Sims not passively click one action to take up the next half hour and spend a year getting anywhere.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Honestly if they go full mobile they'll lose a lot of loyal fans. I've tried time and time again to play the sims free play but I hate it. I hate having to wait minutes and hours and days in real time to get a couple simple tasks finished. If I'm gonna play Sims, I'm gonna PLAY Sims not passively click one action to take up the next half hour and spend a year getting anywhere.

I think if they wanted to go full mobile, they would've skipped releasing TS4 on consoles after all :D If anything, that indicates they're still spending time and development effort on platforms other than mobile =)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    Again I will say sims 4 should be it and all the coders need do is listen to what we as gamers want and do it. Life would be beautiful then, lol. If they go mobile they lose me because I don't game on tiny screens.
  • Options
    Again I will say sims 4 should be it and all the coders need do is listen to what we as gamers want and do it. Life would be beautiful then, lol. If they go mobile they lose me because I don't game on tiny screens.
    They sure will go mobile too. But they won't stop making PC games before people stop using PCs :)
  • Options
    6domino66domino6 Posts: 55 Member
    There are many fans who won't follow them, I'm one of them.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Me either, I have moved up to a 32" screen, no way I'm ever going back to a tiny screen (like a phone game) for games since the whole idea originally in gaming was bigger is better. :D It's sort of like letting go a stereo (now head buds) to go back to a transister radio when I think of phone games. We fought hard to get technology over to a big screen and now they want us to give it up. not gonna happen I will stick with anything that can play on a big screen.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Me either, I have moved up to a 32" screen, no way I'm ever going back to a tiny screen (like a phone game) for games since the whole idea originally in gaming was bigger is better. :D It's sort of like letting go a stereo (now head buds) to go back to a transister radio when I think of phone games. We fought hard to get technology over to a big screen and now they want us to give it up. not gonna happen I will stick with anything that can play on a big screen.
    So you would bring a huge screen with you even when you are playing a game on a long boring travel by train? ;)
    And also have a huge screen in your bed? ;)

I like to play games everywhere and also when I watch TV sitting in an armchair. My iPad is perfect for that. So I actually never use my gaming laptop anymore.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I doubt it. This game has been proven to maintain great monetary success, despite its detractors. Mobile might seem like the holy grail, but it's a lot more unstable of a market. It's too contingent on being "trendy." All it could take is one major tech upheaval/advancement to get people abandoning mobile phones and going for the next "cool" thing. PC gaming, on the other hand, has staying power. It has lasted through a lot of ongoing console competition and tech trends, and it has a lot of appeal for people who want flexibility in the way they manage their software. Mobile gaming has a lot of software/hardware limitations that PC gaming doesn't have and it has a tiny screen, by comparison.

In another ten years, I might be singing a completely different tune. But then, ten years is like a century in the tech world.

I think VR tech is more likely to take over as the base platform in the future (though maybe not until a Sims 6), assuming it can reach a state of advancement and affordability where mass market customers can afford the tech to use it.

I think Maxis would be losing a huge chunk of customers to cut out PC in a next iteration. I mean, consider the fact that they have the Sims Mobile and are now releasing it on consoles. They want *more* integration for different platforms, not less. It's possible that a Sims 5 would be designed to release simultaneously on PC and Mobile. But exclusively on Mobile? I seriously doubt it. It would mean the end of this series for a lot of customers and that's not the kind of thing a business of EA's level is likely to handle flippantly.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I don't have mobile devices so that would be it for me.