Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

He Started as a Dish Washer - Chapter Three - 8/13/2017 - [Restaurant Challenge]

6domino66domino6 Posts: 55 Member

I recently started a new game with playing out a Restaurant Challenge in mind. It inadvertently ended up as the story of an young man who came to his new home with little more than enough money to buy the cheapest apartment in San Myshuno and keep food in his belly for one day.

Restrictions:
I'll add more as the story is revealed, because spoilers.
  • One young adult sim with only 10 simoleons to his name after buying the apartment
  • No gathering except for ingredients for personal use or bait
  • Frugal by choice even once he can afford more

Mods:
While I use more mods than these, I'll only include the important ones that I used for this challenge. (Mod The Sims links provided)
Post edited by 6domino6 on

Comments

• Options
    (Disclaimer: I chose a Japanese name out of familiarity, I'm not actually sure what his features would categorize this handsome man as if he lived in our world. I'm also aware that Japan is a first world country and currently has no reason for immigrants to flock over like some other countries do, this is entirely narrative.)

08_04_17_7_06_26_PM.png

Today I have the pleasure of introducing you to Yukimuro Matsuyo (Surname, First name). I have to thank the randomize button for bringing this handsome man to me. I was going through looking for someone who 'looks' like a restaurant worker. For many years I worked at restaurants and I had a certain idea of what I wanted for the first generation to look like. I passed through many, many sims before reaching this man.

08_04_17_7_06_35_PM.png

He was so perfect I barely changed him at all. Originally he had ruby earrings, which I thought were a little too flashy for him so I downgraded to gold. Most of his fashion choices are left untouched. I mostly fixed the colors to make him a little more fashion conscious. I.E. matching his shoes with his pants.

08_04_17_7_06_37_PM.png

For his athletic attire I did change it entirely. He came full urban with a hoodie and two sideways hats. The only thing I left were the shoes as I've met immigrants who would wear very American shoes as a way of fitting in even if other things they wore were more toned down and normal for them.

08_04_17_7_06_39_PM.png

I approve of his pants choice, I have plaid bottoms just like these.

08_04_17_7_06_42_PM.png

Originally he was wearing a very ethnic outfit for his formal wear, I'm just not sure it looked like what I was aiming for so I changed it. It looked more Indian, I suppose? So I decided to put him in a very dashing suit.

08_04_17_7_06_44_PM.png

He wants a big, happy family and he's ambitious, romantic, and outgoing. He's based off of many immigrants that I grew up knowing and met over the years. Some of them have escaped war or simply come to provide a better life for their family. As he has no family accompanying him, I've decided that he's pursuing the dream of his own parents to leave his country and come to a new country.
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    I like your starting sim and how you explained how you chose his outfits. Looking forward to his ventures into the Restaurant Challenge! Good luck!
  • Options
    @SoulGal7 Thanks for stopping by :) I'm rather fond of how he looks, I'm not 100% sure how randomizer on CAS works as I haven't read it but I was impressed when he popped up on it.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Moving_into.png

Matsuyo couldn't believe his eyes when he saw the price tag in the Newspaper. He had barely enough money to cover the deposit, but he knew he could stretch his meals until his new job finished with his hiring paperwork.

His new home had everything he needed...

08_04_17_7_55_56_PM.png

A spacious kitchen complete with a functional stove and refrigerator....

08_04_17_7_56_02_PM.png

A bathroom where hot water was available most of the time...

08_05_17_6_42_14_PM.png

His bedroom, complete with a mouse room mate living in his hole in the wall.

08_04_17_7_56_23_PM.png

A second bedroom with a small bed.

08_05_17_6_44_15_PM.png

In an instant, he felt right at home. He was home. Sure, he had seen better housing in his lifetime, but he couldn't understand why it seemed it had stayed empty for so long. Even his new landlord, Arjun, seemed surprised when he signed the lease agreement.

With only 10 simoleons in his pocket work can't let him start fast enough!

08_05_17_7_48_54_PM.png

He starts Monday night!
  • Options
    Go to the karaoke bar and practice making drinks or tend the bar. lol Maybe he'll make something. Or, enter the karaoke contest. He could win $500 simoleons.
  • Options
    @Soulgal7 Haha, all wonderful ideas. I think he's got other things in mind, though. ;) I'll have to write up what happened after he finished unpacking his things.
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    I like the introduction of the character and apartment. :)
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    @LegacySims2017 Haha, thanks. It's been a while since I've written anything story-like so this is proving to be fun so far :)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Chapter One: Meeting Penny

Being lazy was never for Matsuyo. ever since a young age his parents had taught him that if he wanted something in life he had to work hard. When he got the call from his new boss that he'd be able to start the next day, it provided the security he needed to stop scouring the help wanted ads. He had worked hard back home to fulfill his goal of reaching San Myshuno. Washing windows, delivering packages, filling in at his family's store...no job offered to him was left undone. Having nothing to do left him restless.

At first, he tried to placate himself with simply watching TV. It was early enough in the day that they were mostly doing puff pieces, the things that they send rookies to take care of usually. Just as he was about to begin channel surfing, he saw the banner at the bottom: 'Local Soup Kitchen Helps Hundreds'. He knew what he could to for the evening. After a quick bite of lunch, he headed off.

He didn't return until well past dinner, a smile lighting up his face as he paused at his door and fumbled through his large pockets for his keys. It took him a moment to realize what the sound was behind him, one of his neighbors had come out into the hallway. Only a glance was spared over his shoulder at first as he unlocked his door, though he did a double take as he processed what he saw. His neighbor was a young woman with...a very vibrant fashion sense.

Judging by the collapsed bag of trash on the ground he had surprised her as much as she had surprised him. He shoved the keys back into his pocket quickly and turned to greet her.

08_04_17_8_41_42_PM.png

"Hello," Matsuyo began with a little bow of his head, straightening his jacket, "I'm--"

The woman interrupted him, "My new neighbor! I was beginning to think nobody would ever move in." Her hand extended out at waist level, arm straight as a board. "I'm Penny. I live right next to the elevator."

08_04_17_8_42_45_PM.png

"Matsuyo," His eyes deviated lower before returning to her face. "Did you need help cleaning this up?" He motioned to the dropped bag of garbage.

"Oh, this?" Penny laughed as she nudged an empty liquor bottle back into the bag. "I'll clean it up later if Arjun doesn't get to it first. I've never actually been inside your unit, can I see it?"

Matsuyo nodded, his eyes lowering guiltily to the bag of trash even as Penny walked past him and towards his unit. "The door's unlocked, please make yourself at home. I just need to check the mail." He called over his shoulder and he stooped to clean up the garbage, there was no sense leaving it for the landlord to clean up later. He didn't wait long to follow her into his unit, dropping the bag off in the spare bedroom's trash can along the way.

08_04_17_8_47_00_PM.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Chapter Two: Dinner for Two

"Did you want something to eat?" Matsuyo called down the short hallway of his apartment as he trekked down it to join her in the kitchen, "I didn't have a chance to do get much besides a few bare essentials before I get paid."

Penny's face lit up as she smiled at him, "I was just going to microwave something when I got home, I'll be fine."

He couldn't help the laugh that escaped his lips at the mention of the quick meal she had planned. "I'll make you something," He promised as he opened his fridge, then his freezer to peruse what he had. He looked briefly over the assortment of cheap meats, cheese, and currently thawed dough he had bought in preparation for a quick meal of his own to stave off hunger until work started.

Penny did most of the talking as he worked, she was apparently very well known on the 'blog-o-sphere', something Matsuyo wasn't very familiar with. He began to shape the loaves even as he spoke, his head turned to her, "Is everyone in San Myshuno a celebrity?" He meant the question sincerely, but Penny sat up a little straighter at the question as if proud that he called her such.

"Not everyone. People still need to mop the floors, teach the children,--"

"Cook the food," He motioned to himself with a doughy hand. As the stove beeped it was ready he finished washing his hands. He patted the moisture off with the dish cloth before hanging it back up and turning to the stove to open it.

"And cook the food." Penny laughed, it was an adorable laugh in his opinion but her hand shot up to cover her mouth as a little piggy snort came out along with it. She sat there for a moment, too mortified for words.

Matsuyo flashed a smile her way before his attention returned to the stove to allow a moment to recompose herself. "You don't mind ham and turkey, do you? Or Swiss cheese?"

08_04_17_8_45_03_PM.png

Penny's hand finally fell away from her mouth. "What are you making with just that?"

He shrugged and cast a glance back at her, "Just sandwiches. I had a hard time finding anything reasonably priced to cook any of my mother's recipes." He paused to open the stove and peek inside, "So when you go to work what do you do?"

That was her favorite topic, herself! She was more than happy to explain, "It depends on the day. Some days I stream games, do product trials, talk about city life hacks like how to get the food vendors to give you the best treatment or get a taxi driver not to go down the bumpiest road."

As she continued on Matsuyo pulled out the finish tray and set it aside to rest as he gathered the meats and cheese. He winced slightly, the freshly baked bread burning his fingertips. Luckily his knife skills made quick work of slicing the small loaves and he split them open so he could begin to stuff them with cheese, ham, and cheese. Another few minutes in the oven and they were ready.

08_04_17_8_45_29_PM.png

Their conversation during the meal was short lived with Penny only getting to ask one question of her new neighbor as she spent rest of the time eating the sandwich. The melted, cheesy goodness was too much to resist. Matsuyo might not have been able to afford much, but he didn't skimp on flavor for his guest. "So what is your job, anyway? I bet it's a Rockstar at a sandwich shop." The question was accompanied with a smile.

Matsuyo shook his head. "I'm a dish washer right now, but they're willing to move me up if a spot opens."

"A dishwasher? You're not going to many much money at all like that. Are you at least--" The loud beeping of her watch stopped her short. "I need to get going! Sorry Matsy! I have a party to go to."

The abruptness of her departure coupled with the shortening of his name delayed his response, by the time he nodded she had already gotten up and was hurrying towards the door.
  • Options
    I love how you take time to talk about what he is preparing in the conversation, like "doughy hand" "shape the loaves" love those aspects of your story, like he is nonchalantly making lunch while they are chatting. A natural cook. Great chapter!
  • Options
    @SoulGal7 Haha I love the multitasking Sims in TS4, it makes for great story telling IMO. Glad you like it!
  • Options
    Chapter Three: A Good Night's Rest

08_04_17_8_48_27_PM.png

There was no denying that the schedule given to him by his new employers was demanding. Being at work until one in the morning was something that wasn't entirely unknown to him. He knew he'd have to get a head start on the new schedule. Instead of allowing himself to go to bed early he channel flipped for a bit until he landed on the romance channel. Being an only child and having a father that worked all the time left him in the position of almost constantly helping his mother. As a result, there were two things that had been been present in his life for as long as he could remember: cooking and romance shows.

He watched for hours, until just past midnight when he finally decided to try to get some rest. It didn't match up with his schedule entirely, but it'd make his next shift easier. As he turned off the TV he became acutely aware that the noise from his downstairs neighbors hadn't died down. If he closed his eyes and listened hard enough he could actually hear the glass vibrating with the sound, muffled as it was.

It wasn't until three in the morning the noise finally dulled or perhaps he was so tired his tired, small town ears quit registering the ruckus.

08_04_17_8_52_21_PM.png

Matsuyo didn't wake until about noon, the dull roar of the city outside greeted him as he stretched out and considered the day ahead of him. The sound of dripping water through the open door caused him to bolt upright. He hurried down the hallway to the kitchen where one of the pipes was leaking generously. Worse leaks than this had been handled at his parent's store without calling someone else to help, so Matsuyo decided against bothering his landlord with it, he had brought a few of his tools with him when he moved.

08_04_17_8_54_07_PM.png

It took maybe a half hour as he had to work a little slower due to the water still being on. His time before work was otherwise short lived. The restaurant wasn't far at all from where he lived, which was one of the reasons he had chosen it to begin with so he simply walked.
  • Options
    lol love that explanation - the rukus - oh, and Matsuyo has some handy skills. Lots of stuff to fix in that apartment.