Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    missmani09 wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »
    So I ended up purchasing TS4 Dine Out via Origin. The lag is SO BAD when at a restaurant it's ridiculous. I played the game straight vanilla. My Sim arrived to a restaurant at 3:33pm. She got seated at about 5:30pm. She didn't get her food until 1:45AM. I am considering returning this GP and asking for a refund if I can't find a work-a-round. I also tried the Lag-Fix mod from modthesims. Didn't seem to help.

Any pointers? Or point me to a link to something helpful.

Also, I purchased CL off gamesdeal.com two days ago. Still waiting on my code via email. Sigh. Sent them an email about this so hopefully I hear back soon.

Sigh. However, I have found great joy in family play. :) The toddlers are so freggin cute.

Obviously the problem has to be your computer for Dine Out. Never heard of this problem before.

I doubt its the entire problem,
    this bug/lag has been noted in several forums.

I'm about to try DO with the time mod and the lag-fix mod and run on 32 bit to see if that helps any.

I dont know what your computer specs are to tell you exactly what is going on but I would try the 32 bit, . Try laptop mode, windowed mode or lowering your resolution if you have a lower end computer . It will take some stress off the computer

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

32 bit does sim to work better with the sim game. Haven't tried laptop mode.
    My sims are immediately greeted and taken to their seats however they stand for about a sim hour after the host has showed them their table.
    I have to cancel their que to get them to sit down. Waiters are coming over quickly after requesting food. Waiters are bringing food more promptly. Waiters and host stand around. Lots of Sims are not being seated. I have to click the food in order to get my sim to eat. After he finishes eating, he sits there for Sim hours, unable to put down his fork even after I cancel the EAT action. He's stuck; fork in hand.

I really want this GP to work smoothly. I'm trying to pin point exactly what the deal is.

It is unfortunately due to your computer specs. Its under requirements. You have a dual core processor and the game requires a quad core i5 on desktop. Laptop you need an even better i7 quad core because laptop hardware is weaker than desktop. Do to this game's programing it is very cpu heavy ( this should not be happening) . You also have an integrated graphics card and the game requires a dedicated graphics card that runs on it's own ram. Your computer needs recommended requirements to survive third game. The game requires a mid level gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop to survive. As the game adds more and more, it becomes more demanding. This last patch did a lot of computers in to where the game will no longer play or not play well. You cant upgrade laptop hardware your stuck with the specs you buy. I feel horrible every time I have to say this but you will need another computer to survive this game. I'm going to feel even worse saying this when the vampires get added. This same situation happened with the sims 3. I also had a lower end computer in the beginning that could no longer run the game due to a patch

Not to beat a dead horse, but wasn't one of the reasons given for no open world - among other things - was because they wanted it to run on older pcs? So say if I still had my pc from 2008 which I was still playing Sims 3 (with all EPs and SPs up to that point) on until 2013 when my hard drive went out, it wouldn't have been able to run Sims 4?

They've said it was mainly because multitasking raised the performance bar.
    Loading screens: this was done primarily to accomodate multitasking. We build a highly complex graph of all the objects in the world and their connectivity (you can see our GDC talk about this online). Doing searches over this graph is computationally-intensive and proportional to the size of the graph. This is one of the main reasons that you cannot go to your neighbor's house without a loading screen - we couldn't afford to have their entire house and your entire house loaded at once. Keep in mind that people can create some huge houses with dozens and dozens of chairs and tables and stuff like that which all involve a bunch of nodes (different slot types for carryables, etc.).

This is possible but TS3 does have some multi tasking. You can use the sims store tablet to listen and gain skills while also learning a physical skill. They can all talk while watching TV. They can all talk while eating, still talk while playing a game. etc. All while still learning a skill on the tablet. They are able to do 3 things at once.

Not in the same way as TS4. You can read the GDC talk about it if you want more details.

The games are programed differently and on a different game engine. I was just saying that TS3 has some multi tasking while having an open world. With TS4 I don't know that multitasking is the reason for not having open world or the game's engine might have something more to do with it. We have tech people in this forum that know more than me who say the game's engine is much more limited than TS3's engine.

People have also said toddlers were not possible because of the engine. ;)

Anyway, you're free to believe whatever (or whoever) you want, but the initial question was about the reason given and it's multitasking.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    @Dekay Im glad you decided to play toddlers and join sparkfairy1 Thread. I love it . Dylan makes a cute toddler. I will enjoy seeing you do this challenge since you skimped out on sims 1 and 2's potential :p Are you posting this in screenshots too? You should

Hey! I did not skimp on TS1's potential! I'll let you know that! :D I used to play it from 8am til 5pm during my school holidays cuz I got no life. I still have no life...

I'm not posting it in the Fav Screenshot thread cuz I have another separate story there and don't want to confuse people. :tongue:

Ok you skimped on 2 (cough) You will not confuse people. Im sure they can tell the difference between adult Dylan and toddler Dylan. EA did make the toddlers much shorter than the adults. :p I could understand people confusing Adult and teen Dylan. Now if only EA would make this issue a height difference.

Hahahaa. LOL, you're funny. I meant they might get confused with the story line. There's already other simmers posting there too. There will be too many things going on, it will be messy. Haha.

You have been in that thread a long time. Everyone knows Dylan (rolls eyes) and how many people added him to their game? I think they would enjoy a baby Dylan story. Your Dylan has never had children. I think they would find it funny your doing a 7 toddler challenge :p
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    So I ended up purchasing TS4 Dine Out via Origin. The lag is SO BAD when at a restaurant it's ridiculous. I played the game straight vanilla. My Sim arrived to a restaurant at 3:33pm. She got seated at about 5:30pm. She didn't get her food until 1:45AM. I am considering returning this GP and asking for a refund if I can't find a work-a-round. I also tried the Lag-Fix mod from modthesims. Didn't seem to help.

Also, I purchased CL off gamesdeal.com two days ago. Still waiting on my code via email. Sigh. Sent them an email about this so hopefully I hear back soon.

Sigh. However, I have found great joy in family play. :) The toddlers are so freggin cute.

Obviously the problem has to be your computer for Dine Out. Never heard of this problem before.

I'm about to try DO with the time mod and the lag-fix mod and run on 32 bit to see if that helps any.

I dont know what your computer specs are to tell you exactly what is going on but I would try the 32 bit, . Try laptop mode, windowed mode or lowering your resolution if you have a lower end computer . It will take some stress off the computer

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

My sims are immediately greeted and taken to their seats however they stand for about a sim hour after the host has showed them their table.
    I have to cancel their que to get them to sit down. Waiters are coming over quickly after requesting food. Waiters are bringing food more promptly. Waiters and host stand around. Lots of Sims are not being seated. I have to click the food in order to get my sim to eat. After he finishes eating, he sits there for Sim hours, unable to put down his fork even after I cancel the EAT action. He's stuck; fork in hand.

I really want this GP to work smoothly. I'm trying to pin point exactly what the deal is.

It is unfortunately due to your computer specs. Its under requirements. You have a dual core processor and the game requires a quad core i5 on desktop. Laptop you need an even better i7 quad core because laptop hardware is weaker than desktop. Do to this game's programing it is very cpu heavy ( this should not be happening) . You also have an integrated graphics card and the game requires a dedicated graphics card that runs on it's own ram. Your computer needs recommended requirements to survive third game. The game requires a mid level gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop to survive. As the game adds more and more, it becomes more demanding. This last patch did a lot of computers in to where the game will no longer play or not play well. You cant upgrade laptop hardware your stuck with the specs you buy. I feel horrible every time I have to say this but you will need another computer to survive this game. I'm going to feel even worse saying this when the vampires get added. This same situation happened with the sims 3. I also had a lower end computer in the beginning that could no longer run the game due to a patch

Not to beat a dead horse, but wasn't one of the reasons given for no open world - among other things - was because they wanted it to run on older pcs? So say if I still had my pc from 2008 which I was still playing Sims 3 (with all EPs and SPs up to that point) on until 2013 when my hard drive went out, it wouldn't have been able to run Sims 4?

Loading screens: this was done primarily to accomodate multitasking. We build a highly complex graph of all the objects in the world and their connectivity (you can see our GDC talk about this online). Doing searches over this graph is computationally-intensive and proportional to the size of the graph. This is one of the main reasons that you cannot go to your neighbor's house without a loading screen - we couldn't afford to have their entire house and your entire house loaded at once. Keep in mind that people can create some huge houses with dozens and dozens of chairs and tables and stuff like that which all involve a bunch of nodes (different slot types for carryables, etc.).

This is possible but TS3 does have some multi tasking. You can use the sims store tablet to listen and gain skills while also learning a physical skill. They can all talk while watching TV. They can all talk while eating, still talk while playing a game. etc. All while still learning a skill on the tablet. They are able to do 3 things at once.

Not in the same way as TS4. You can read the GDC talk about it if you want more details.

The games are programed differently and on a different game engine. I was just saying that TS3 has some multi tasking while having an open world. With TS4 I don't know that multitasking is the reason for not having open world or the game's engine might have something more to do with it. We have tech people in this forum that know more than me who say the game's engine is much more limited than TS3's engine.

Anyway, you're free to believe whatever (or whoever) you want, but the initial question was about the reason given and it's multitasking.

People saying we can't have toddlers because ( what ever reason they make up) and Guru's not answering about toddlers are two different things. Toddlers and open world are oranges and apples. Open world would require a reprogramming of the game I believe
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    @Dekay Im glad you decided to play toddlers and join sparkfairy1 Thread. I love it . Dylan makes a cute toddler. I will enjoy seeing you do this challenge since you skimped out on sims 1 and 2's potential :p Are you posting this in screenshots too? You should

Hey! I did not skimp on TS1's potential! I'll let you know that! :D I used to play it from 8am til 5pm during my school holidays cuz I got no life. I still have no life...

I'm not posting it in the Fav Screenshot thread cuz I have another separate story there and don't want to confuse people. :tongue:

Ok you skimped on 2 (cough) You will not confuse people. Im sure they can tell the difference between adult Dylan and toddler Dylan. EA did make the toddlers much shorter than the adults. :p I could understand people confusing Adult and teen Dylan. Now if only EA would make this issue a height difference.

Hahahaa. LOL, you're funny. I meant they might get confused with the story line. There's already other simmers posting there too. There will be too many things going on, it will be messy. Haha.

You have been in that thread a long time. Everyone knows Dylan (rolls eyes) and how many people added him to their game? I think they would enjoy a baby Dylan story. Your Dylan has never had children. I think they would find it funny your doing a 7 toddler challenge :p

I don't know... I've taken some screenshots from the challenge but it's so chaotic I can't even keep up with lil Dylan. :D I think right now he's stinking and needs attention (it's Day 4 where I stopped). Like, I needed a break. LOL. Too many stinky toddlers.

Maybe I'll add a link of this thread there in the Fav Screenshot so for anyone who wants to see, they can come here. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

People saying we can't have toddlers becsue ( what ever reason they make up) and Guru's not answering about toddlers are two different things. Toddlers and open world are oranges and apples

I think her point was that many people have made the argument that the engine can't handle anything heavy, like an open world, toddlers or seasons. And that the engine may just be less limited than some people perceive it to be. But idk enough about these things to have any further opinions on that :)
  • Options

I don't know... I've taken some screenshots from the challenge but it's so chaotic I can't even keep up with lil Dylan. :D I think right now he's stinking and needs attention (it's Day 4 where I stopped). Like, I needed a break. LOL. Too many stinky toddlers.

Maybe I'll add a link of this thread there in the Fav Screenshot so for anyone who wants to see, they can come here. :)

LOL on the pics and stinky toddlers . I almost choked on my coffee. Glad you made your game more challenging :D>:)
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

People saying we can't have toddlers becsue ( what ever reason they make up) and Guru's not answering about toddlers are two different things. Toddlers and open world are oranges and apples

I think her point was that many people have made the argument that the engine can't handle anything heavy, like an open world, toddlers or seasons. And that the engine may just be less limited than some people perceive it to be. But idk enough about these things to have any further opinions on that :)

Yes agree and just to stay on track of family play and toddlers. I believe there was a file in place for toddlers if I'm not mistaken. Its been a while but I do remember people posting about some hidden files

We now have toddlers and glad everyone is enjoying them
  • Options

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

Yes, exactly. Just saying be cautious with the supposedly limited engine, it may not be as limited as people are making it out to be.
  • Options

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

Yes, exactly. Just saying be cautious with the supposedly limited engine, it may not be as limited as people are making it out to be.

Sorry but I was helping someone questioning specifically about open world (not toddlers )and computer specs when they needed help. I was also trying to help someone play ( or not) play their game. That is what I do help in Tech and you had to start in comparing open world to toddlers. Sparkfairy does not want debates from to apples and oranges in her thread which you started. Im sure she wants to keep this thread as happy as possible. Thanks for your understanding

@DeKay Cant wait to see more of your toddler story :D
  • Options

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

Sorry but I was helping someone questioning specifically about open world (not toddlers )and computer specs when they needed help. I was also trying to help someone play ( or not) play their game. That is what I do help in Tech and you had to start in comparing open world to toddlers. Sparkfairy does not want debates from to apples and oranges in her thread which you started. Im sure she wants to keep this thread as happy as possible. Thanks for your understanding

I just answered a question that was asked. :confused:
  • Options
    missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    Thank for the tid bits of help guys and gals! And actually even with my computer specs, TS4 runs rather smoothly on my computer. I've played every pack on my computer with no issues other than the action-lag in the restaurants. My Game doesn't lag, the ACTION que in dine out lags (lots of head bobbing). Every thing else runs smoothly. Anywho, thanks again. Hopefully a mod will help.

I also fine tuned the time mod and set it from 25 to 75 I think and I just love it! I feel like I got a chance to really spend some time with my sims
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

People saying we can't have toddlers because ( what ever reason they make up) and Guru's not answering about toddlers are two different things. Toddlers and open world are oranges and apples. Open world would require a reprogramming of the game I believe

I'm pretty sure the gurus did tell us that toddlers weren't feasible about 2 years ago when fans asked. Mind you this was still when that other woman was the "manager" of the game. What was her name again?
  • Options
    Sc3niX wrote: »

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

I'm pretty sure the gurus did tell us that toddlers weren't feasible about 2 years ago when fans asked. Mind you this was still when that other woman was the "manager" of the game. What was her name again?

No, they told us it was feasible, though they didn't give details on the how, when or if they would actually do it. It's CaST that we've been told isn't technically feasible.
  • Options

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

You mean that woman that no longer works for EA and I don't believe was an actual game programmer. I think she had more to do with marketing?

Can we move on now.
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member

This happened to me with Sims 3 as well. I had only part of the XPs and SPs at the time Supernatural came out and that pretty much killed my game. I 'built' my new computer (went to a pick-your-own-specs store and had them build it actually) specifically for Sims 3 on the grounds that if the comp could handle that, it could handle anything else I needed. My dad was not pleased because he considers games an extra, but really, any computer that can run Sims 3 can certainly run any word processer, spreadsheet or other 'real' program he could name. The guy at the store looked at my list of parts and said 'You play the Sims, don't you?'

One of the things I really dislike about the minimum specs is that they are only for the base game or the base game plus this specific XP. I always thought they ought to also list specs for all parts of the game available at the time of release, or at least direct shoppers to a website that would list minimums for such a configuration. Minimum for the minimum game config plus the minimum for the max config as well.
  • Options
    Thrippa wrote: »

This happened to me with Sims 3 as well. I had only part of the XPs and SPs at the time Supernatural came out and that pretty much killed my game. I 'built' my new computer (went to a pick-your-own-specs store and had them build it actually) specifically for Sims 3 on the grounds that if the comp could handle that, it could handle anything else I needed. My dad was not pleased because he considers games an extra, but really, any computer that can run Sims 3 can certainly run any word processer, spreadsheet or other 'real' program he could name. The guy at the store looked at my list of parts and said 'You play the Sims, don't you?'

One of the things I really dislike about the minimum specs is that they are only for the base game or the base game plus this specific XP. I always thought they ought to also list specs for all parts of the game available at the time of release, or at least direct shoppers to a website that would list minimums for such a configuration. Minimum for the minimum game config plus the minimum for the max config as well.

You got further than me. I made it to WA. As soon as I added Fastlane and that patch my game would not start :p My computer was more plum than yours at that time. It was a few years before I could buy a computer that met the requirements to play again. I feel for people if their computer is lower and stops running the game eventually. A lot of us got hit with a lower end computer not knowing EA would up their game for TS3. TS1 could play on any computer. They upped their game with later eps on TS2 but not like TS3

Hey at least the computer guy knew. Many will just sell you a computer that does not meet your needs and requirements if he has to tell you the hardware is above your budget. Most just want to make sales and commission. Its a lot easier for them to sell many low end computers than try to convince people they need higher end and then they may loose the sale.

The minimum requirements should not exist for either game or EA should put a disclaimer on Minimum Requirements for base game only without eps, packs or patches added. Recommended requirements are to survive the game with all the add ons.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member

GxhxxJt.jpg
    ZD08vaQ.jpg

You mean that woman that no longer works for EA and I don't believe was an actual game programmer. I think she had more to do with marketing?

Can we move on now.

No need to be snide, I haven't been on the forums for a while and only came back when I saw toddlers. I also only found out recently she left EA.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    No need to be snide, I haven't been on the forums for a while and only came back when I saw toddlers. I also only found out recently she left EA.
    I don't think she was being snide. She's just asking if everyone can move on as this is a family and toddler thread and sometimes it gets a little off-topic.

Anyway... I am diving in to my orphanage this evening. I left off where my toddler was getting rather stinky and had to be bathed.
    026.png?dl=0

I am very glad they put bathing toddlers in, let's hope they allow us to bath in the sink when they #FreeTheBabies :)
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Thank for the tid bits of help guys and gals! And actually even with my computer specs, TS4 runs rather smoothly on my computer. I've played every pack on my computer with no issues other than the action-lag in the restaurants. My Game doesn't lag, the ACTION que in dine out lags (lots of head bobbing). Every thing else runs smoothly. Anywho, thanks again. Hopefully a mod will help.

I also fine tuned the time mod and set it from 25 to 75 I think and I just love it! I feel like I got a chance to really spend some time with my sims

I am really glad that that worked out for you. I too really like the time mod. A good companion to go with it is the UI cheats mod. It can be found here:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=558548

This mod will allow you to fill up the needs as needed. So if the sim is taking too long in the shower, just fill their hygiene and they will get out and move on. You can also adjust thing such as their relationships for a quick friend if needed, and there is money to be had by clicking on the household funds. It add 1000 bucks at a time. Happy Simming.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    edited January 2017

No, they told us it was feasible, though they didn't give details on the how, when or if they would actually do it. It's CaST that we've been told isn't technically feasible.

Well, anything is *always" possible, the only question is how much time and money you need. But, as the game does things right now, adding cast would need a bit a re-doing, breaking all the CC... Same goes of the open world. You need to change how the game work (additionally to the performance issues of having to compute 100 sims instead of 10.) Thus, seeing cast or open world is rather unlikely.
    Someone mentioned seasons, that should do though.

Actually, it's a google now card that told me the news about the toddlers. Happened the way I thought it would happen, free update, no warring. :)
  • Options
    @Dekay love day two :)
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    @Dekay love day two :)

I think the next few days are gonna follow the same pattern. :D I'm still gonna hire a nanny.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top