Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do I bother? TS4 is still utterly boring. Even 3 Ep's in. SHAME.

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    It just seems to me that despite their claims, EA aren't listening to the players. I enjoy some of the aspects of The Sims 4, like the colours, the sims themselves, and being able to do more than one things at a time, like chatting and eating etc. However, I've seen many complaints similar to my own about what we still want and aren't receiving, and only excuses coming from EA about why we don't have it yet. We don't have definitive answers about whether we will receive toddlers, seasons, more family play etc, and I think if they gave people clear answers, we the players could just decide whether to wait (if it was a yes) or stop playing if TS4 is going in a completely other direction. Either way, I feel we need more transparency from EA.
    1. EA's top doesn't listen to the forum and they don't even read it. But they take all major decisions about the kinds of expansions to release and their main content anyway. There decisions are only based on marketing strategy and sales numbers.
    2. The developers read the forum. So they listen. But they are heavily controlled by EA's top and can't make many decisions on their own because they only decides minor details in the expansions. They also can't tell us what EA's top will decide in the future. Therefore they are silent.

That is the problem.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I haven't even gotten CL or the new Glamour Life ('cause it's just a knock off version of TS2 one).

I don't know. Even the EPs look like glorified SPs to me these days. However much for a butler and a vanity table? I don't even know. That's how interested I am in it. These things used to all be included in a well thought out EP that gave months of value. Now it's just piece-meal. Not interested.

Yup. Now it's just things halfheartedly slapped together just to get more money. :(
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    I haven't even gotten CL or the new Glamour Life ('cause it's just a knock off version of TS2 one).

I don't know. Even the EPs look like glorified SPs to me these days. However much for a butler and a vanity table? I don't even know. That's how interested I am in it. These things used to all be included in a well thought out EP that gave months of value. Now it's just piece-meal. Not interested.

Yup. Now it's just things halfheartedly slapped together just to get more money. :(
    Yes. But what did you expect? Did people really expect that EA was some philanthropic company who only made games to fulfill people dreams and satisfy everybody without caring about money? No company is like that and EA was even started as a publisher who only wanted to earn money by publishing games developed by other companies!

The developers are only hired to make the games as EA wants them. So their influence is limited too. Why does this surprise anybody?
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I just try to keep in mind that Sims 2 and 3 didn't have all those things in the first two years, either. Sims 4 is on a bit of a slower schedule it seems, but we may get more than the standard 4 years for EPs and such.

It looks like vampires are coming really soon, based on evidence found in the game code. I'm really excited for that. I'm also hoping for toddlers, improved teens, witches and magic, pets, and cars. There's other things I miss like interests, the attraction system, and zodiac signs. University would be nice to have again, too.

I can't play Sims 3 anymore because my computer can't deal with it and I spend more time troubleshooting than playing. I tried to go back to Sims 2 a few months back but couldn't get into it due to the limited CAS, outdated graphics, and lame Sim AI ( and by this I mean, yes they were situationally aware and reacted to things nicely, but they'll also sit in the hot tub all day, can't route anywhere to save their lives, and other such nuisances). I enjoyed playing with toddlers again briefly but they weren't enough for me to get over the other shortcomings.

So, I have what fun I can have with Sims 4 and eagerly await more content. I'm not ready to call this game a loss, not unless they go another two years and don't release anything worth its salt.

Although at two years in TS3 had tomb exploration,mummies, laundromats, Simbots, vampires, bands, day care, imaginary friends, cemeteries, cars,school buses and taxis to ride in, bachelor parties, subways, seven life stages, firefighters (both NPC and playable), inventors with time machines, teachers, tattoo artists, stylists, meteors and burglars and probably many things I've forgotten. Add 4 months to that, which is where were are now in TS4, TS3 had dogs, cats, pet birds, horses and unicorns.

It's no wonder I feel like TS4 is a little empty.

Babysitters, swimable oceans, strollers, terrain tools, real ponds you could automatically fish in, bunk beds, etc. Just a few more to add to the list ;)

Most of that was in the base game too.

I was trying to keep additions to the game within the same time span that TS4 has been around. Didn't ocean swimming come with Seasons? It doesn't matter much though because one of the devs has said that they would have to build an ocean specifically for swimming. That would mean you'd have ocean swimming limited to one town.

If you want a list for all the things that TS4 has not had included I'd be typing for a while. =)
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Pretty sure ocean swimming was in base game. My sims were swimming in it long before I gave up on the game. I only had up to Ambitions back then. Pretty sure strollers were there too. I might have been wrong about the bunk beds though. They might have been a store item.

More to do in the sand around the beach was introduced with seasons.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Pretty sure ocean swimming was in base game. My sims were swimming in it long before I gave up on the game. I only had up to Ambitions back then. Pretty sure strollers were there too. I might have been wrong about the bunk beds though. They might have been a store item.

I remember people getting excited about the edition later in the game cycle but couldn't remember when so I had looked it up. I had thought it came with IP but it was before that.

From the wiki

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Ocean_swimming

"Ocean swimming is a feature that enables Sims to swim in the ocean or open seas, firstly introduced in The Sims 2: Bon Voyage for The Sims 2. It was later introduced for The Sims 3 in The Sims 3: Seasons, although the feature is now available in Patch 42 for players who do not have Seasons. "

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016

According to this wikia, ocean swimming was originally Seasons (of both Sims 2 and 3), but was also put into a Patch (patch 42) for those players who don't have Seasons in sims 3 on Oct 29, 2012.

IF the wikia is accurate, perhaps you are misremembering or installed Sims 3 at a later date with that patch??

(I know I can get mixed up on what has been introduced when since I usually don't keep up with all of the content during the lifespan of a sims iteration and get many of the EPs much, much later on.)

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_3/Patch_42

Link to official website announcement of patch (has "sims can now swim in oceans" listed in it): http://www.thesims3.com/game/patches/1020063817
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

According to this wikia, ocean swimming was originally Seasons (of both Sims 2 and 3), but was also put into a Patch (patch 42) for those players who don't have Seasons in sims 3 on Oct 29, 2012.

IF the wikia is accurate, perhaps you are misremembering or installed Sims 3 at a later date with that patch??

(I know I can get mixed up on what has been introduced when since I usually don't keep up with all of the content during the lifespan of a sims iteration and get many of the EPs much, much later on.)

That might explain it. I didn't have seasons until 2013, but I did boot the game up from time to time.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    sheepicornsheepicorn Posts: 31 Member
    Hello! I saw this discussion and I'm fairly new to the Simming community. I'm a little embarrassed to say but I don't know what family play means. It may be because the only game I play is TS4. Could someone please explain to me exactly what family play is?
    Gallery Name: chicatheartist (Come visit my creations some time!)
    ByCPAWOxGWlm1ufLDRDQEZefvDIej5LKzK2NBU2rxMqGf0Zh_eNLqzvYNNA0WiFV0zYPiOo=s107

• Options
    sheepicorn wrote: »
    Hello! I saw this discussion and I'm fairly new to the Simming community. I'm a little embarrassed to say but I don't know what family play means. It may be because the only game I play is TS4. Could someone please explain to me exactly what family play is?

It really is different things to different players but I would say that it's playing a complete life span (all 7 Sim stages infant,toddler,child,teen,young adult,adult,elder) of intertwined Sim lives. Some players find toddlers necessary, some want even a preteen stage included. To many it's a birth to death traditional family experience.

• Options
    Family play is the way a lot of simmers played in the Sims 1, the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 where they enjoyed to take care of a family and raising babies, toddlers, children and teens such that they could get a happy life and grow up to become adults (except in the Sims 1 which didn't have the needed aging for this). Often simmers played the same family for generations by letting the children move out to their own house when they had become adults.

The problem for family players now is that the Sims 4 doesn't really support that way of playing because it doesn't have toddlers, babies are simplified such that they are bound to their crib and teens now suddenly are as high as adults. Therefore family players want this corrected such that they again can play as they did in the previous games.
  • Options
    Oh, okay. Thank you! It was kind of bothering me that I didn't know what family play was when everyone talks about it. I do that a lot on TS4, and I'm rather fine with it. I do wish they had toddlers, though. :(

• Options

It's a pretty subjective concept. Everyone has different definitions of what constitutes as "family play". For some, it's having all of the life stages (including toddlers), while for others it's having well-done life stages that are detailed and have lots of family interactions (think like teen-exclusive stuff in Sims 2 and the various interactions/features for various life stages of Sims 3 Generations EP, etc), and for others it's various activities that can be exclusively done amongst family members, for some it's having children sims doing various child-like activists, and for others it's a combination of all of the above and more, etc.

What does the label "family play" mean to you personally, @sheepicorn ? Do you play with any sim families?

I play with non-aging sims families, and I rarely age them up, but I do include multiple life stages and a parent/child generation (usually a few babies and/or a few toddlers, a teen or two, a few children, and their adult parent/s all living under the same roof or living in the same world).

I consider family play to be anything that can be done by a lot of the family, more activities for the younger stages, and perhaps well-done toddlers and babies that can be interacted with.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

It really is different things to different players but I would say that it's playing a complete life span (all 7 Sim stages infant,toddler,child,teen,young adult,adult,elder) of intertwined Sim lives. Some players find toddlers necessary, some want even a preteen stage included. To many it's a birth to death traditional family experience.
    It really is different things to different simmers because that is not really how I play with families.

I consider myself a "family player", but I don't play with all of the life stages (I never play with Elders), and I don't do the cradle to grave thing, or long generational play.

I play with the Aging off, and only occasionally age up the babies/toddlers/children. I love having babies, toddlers, children (and maybe some teens) in the same household family, or have multiple families with various life stages (excluding Elders).
    (She/her)
  • Options

It really is different things to different simmers because that is not really how I play with families.

I consider myself a "family player", but I don't play with all of the life stages (I never play with Elders), and I don't do the cradle to grave thing, or long generational play.

I play with the Aging off, and only occasionally age up the babies/toddlers/children. I love having babies, toddlers, children (and maybe some teens) in the same household family, or have multiple families with various life stages (excluding Elders).
    I don't see elders as vital for family play because family play is just about having a family to take of their needs like people did in the Sims 1. But there are different types of family players:
    1. Some family players play with aging on because it is vital for them to raise kids such that they grow up.
    2. Some family players play the same family for generations. But they often switch to the new family when the first kids move out and create their own family. Therefore elders are not necessarily important for them.
    3. Some family players don't care about aging but only on activities for babies, toddlers, children, teens etc.

Still the problem is that the Sims 4 isn't about family play but instead mostly about partying and autonomous multitasking.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yes, I would be more like number 3 on that list.

For me, I just feel that Sims 4 needs more varied content that is not just talking. We need more new animations and new interactions, not reused content.

I think the budgeting and limited resources (maybe executive meddling?) and being scraps from Olympus are the main reason Sims 4 has not been full of lots of different (non-base) content.

I am hoping we get more varied and meaningful content in the future.

I see the glimmers of hope with them adding a bit of some interactions and animations in City Living and Vintage Glamor (and other SPs and GPs) so far.

I think the very slow, spread out piecemeal treatment combined with redundant base content is part of what is causing me to feel starved for content for this iteration.

I didn't feel this way with the earlier Sims games, even back in Sims 1, for some reason.

(Sims 3 had some good base game content, but I couldn't get into that one, so I skipped most of that one. It still seemed like it had lots of content for its time, though.)
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

Yes. But what did you expect? Did people really expect that EA was some philanthropic company who only made games to fulfill people dreams and satisfy everybody without caring about money? No company is like that and EA was even started as a publisher who only wanted to earn money by publishing games developed by other companies!

The developers are only hired to make the games as EA wants them. So their influence is limited too. Why does this surprise anybody?

Did I say I was surprised? lol Nope. And I don't expect anything other than half done and maximum price with anything Sims 4 related. And people are paying them and rewarding them for sub-pare content. If more people spoke with their wallet and actually showed EA/Maxis that they can't get away with making crap then they would possibly turn back to making a quality Sims game. But that's a pipe dream. I think at this point, the only way to light a fire under them is if another company came along and gave them a run for their money.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options

That might explain it. I didn't have seasons until 2013, but I did boot the game up from time to time.

I pre-ordered Seasons, but if I remember right, they released the patch before the game dropped. So sims were able to swim in teh oceans before getting the EP.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2016

I don't see elders as vital for family play because family play is just about having a family to take of their needs like people did in the Sims 1. But there are different types of family players:
    1. Some family players play with aging on because it is vital for them to raise kids such that they grow up.
    2. Some family players play the same family for generations. But they often switch to the new family when the first kids move out and create their own family. Therefore elders are not necessarily important for them.
    3. Some family players don't care about aging but only on activities for babies, toddlers, children, teens etc.

Still the problem is that the Sims 4 isn't about family play but instead mostly about partying and autonomous multitasking.
    As for 2 (all three are important for me btw though I agree with this classification), but elderly are definitely important when you're a type 2 kind of player, also when they're not in your active household. Parents, grandparents, they all play their important part in the life of your heir. And one of the things I absolutely love about 3 is how no heir ever gets lost, because they live on in the graveyard. Old (dead) ancestors even played a part in my stories. That's family play as well.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Oh, okay. Thank you! It was kind of bothering me that I didn't know what family play was when everyone talks about it. I do that a lot on TS4, and I'm rather fine with it. I do wish they had toddlers, though. :(

If you get the chance try Sims 2 and Sims 3. They are great games. :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options

I pre-ordered Seasons, but if I remember right, they released the patch before the game dropped. So sims were able to swim in teh oceans before getting the EP.

This is what patch 42 did for the base game.

https://simsvip.com/2012/10/29/sims-3-game-update-1-42-102912/

Base Game Updates

Greeting Cards feature has been added. Sims can take a picture using the Greeting Card feature and share it on Sims3.com, Facebook, or Twitter.
    Attraction System has been added. This is a new initial romantic system that provides bonuses to socialization and romance when the Sim is attracted by certain attributes.
    Sims can now swim in the ocean.
    Diving Board object has been added to Build Mode.
    Blueprint tool has been added to Buy/Build Mode. User’s may quickly place down furnished rooms with this tool.
    Resolved Player Profile and Wall issue where clicking on a user’s name brought up a blank profile.
    Badges earned by completing achievements will now appear on your MyPage on thesims3.com.
    The moon’s glow on the UI will no longer appear when starting a new game without The Sims 3 Supernatural installed.
  • Options

Did I say I was surprised? lol Nope. And I don't expect anything other than half done and maximum price with anything Sims 4 related. And people are paying them and rewarding them for sub-pare content. If more people spoke with their wallet and actually showed EA/Maxis that they can't get away with making plum then they would possibly turn back to making a quality Sims game. But that's a pipe dream. I think at this point, the only way to light a fire under them is if another company came along and gave them a run for their money.
    I don't think that there is any chance that another company really will make a similar game and even if this should happen then their game probably would be too different for us to like it as a Sims game.

I refuse to use money on anything for TS4 because there isn't IMO any chance that TS4 ever will become a Sims game that I would like and because I don't at all think that I need to "support" TS4 just to motivate EA to make more Sims games. Some people seem to think that they need to buy more because otherwise they are afraid that otherwise EA won't release TS5. But EA will surely release TS5 no matter what. So if we want TS5 to become a better Sims game then we must hope that the small expansions for this simplified Sims game don't sell too well because otherwise we just should expect TS5 to become much more similar to TS4 than any of us would like.
  • Options
    @Erpe, it's really a shame that no one will come in and give EA a run for their money. And it's a shame that Sims 4 is the game that it is. At this point, even if we did get a Sims 5 I'm not expecting much from it. But hey, at least I have the older games to continue to play. And when I get tired of them then I can go make some chaos in GTA. lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    @GoldenBuffy Okay, thanks! I'm looking forward to TS3, I've heard it's really fun from my friend who is a dedicated Sims fan.

• Options
    @Erpe, it's really a shame that no one will come in and give EA a run for their money. And it's a shame that Sims 4 is the game that it is. At this point, even if we did get a Sims 5 I'm not expecting much from it. But hey, at least I have the older games to continue to play. And when I get tired of them then I can go make some chaos in GTA. lol
    I don't think that we should give up on TS5 yet for the following reasons:
    1. We don't know the sales numbers for SPs, GPs and EPs. So we can't judge if they really point in a direction where EA will decide to use the same strategy for TS5 and its expansions.
    2. EA always makes a new big Sims game quite different from the previous one. So there still is a chance that TS5 will become a much better and interesting game.