Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do I bother? TS4 is still utterly boring. Even 3 Ep's in. SHAME.

Comments

• SakuraLeonSakuraLeon Posts: 272 Member
    Thanks for that constructive response. I just remembered why certain people don't bother with this useless forum to voice their own opinions. And some bother just a bit too much..
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    SakuraLeon wrote: »
    Thanks for that constructive response. I just remembered why certain people don't bother with this useless forum to voice their own opinions. And some bother just a bit too much..
    Sorry I offended you, I didn't mean to. It's just fact though that for many people the crucial things they are complaining about haven't returned yet and probably never will, not in this game. I admit that isn't a constuctive observation but there you go. I was purely responding to the one statement in your post, it wasn't meant to attack you personally. Please don't blame me - or anyone else - for the fact 'certain people' don't bother to make this forum 'useful' in their eyes. That's their own decision.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sorry I offended you, I didn't mean to. It's just fact though that for many people the crucial things they are complaining about haven't returned yet and probably never will, not in this game. I admit that isn't a constuctive observation but there you go. I was purely responding to the one statement in your post, it wasn't meant to attack you personally. Please don't blame me - or anyone else - for the fact 'certain people' don't bother to make this forum 'useful' in their eyes. That's their own decision.

For me it's not even an issue of things returning. I'm all for new things. For me, the real issue is what's not being said and I'm not going to say it again. It will lead to an essay. All I will say is repetitiveness leads to redundancy and redundancy leads to a lack of interest for some people.

I could have easily lived without the old if something new (and promising) truly was on the horizon. But that simply isn't the case for me.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Then let me attempt to say it in another way:

When I choose to play a game instead of just streaming Netflix then it is because just watching series or movies is too passive for me and I become restless. So I need to be more involved and control the story instead. So what I don't like about the Sims 4 is that this game wants to make me passive too and just watch while my sims are partying and multitasking on their own. My sims will now even on their own make new random social relationships and the intention is that I shall just watch and enjoy this. But I can't because it for me is like just watching a very bad cartoon movie and I chose to play the game to be activated and in control instead. Therefore the whole new idea behind the Sims 4 takes the game in directions which I have no interest in at all and I will just be bored if I attempt to "play" it. I can understand it if the developers like to make all this autonomy and to let the sims interact on their own when they are taking a break from their hard work. But for me who needs to be activated and to just play this is very boring.

So for me the new thing in TS4 is that the game more than ever before wants to reduce us to be just spectators instead of real gamers. This is what really bores me and no matter how many new SPs they release this will never change in this version of the game. Other simmers may be using their game differently. But I will watch TV or streaming if I need to relax and be passive. I am not playing a game to be passivated like the Sims 4 attempts!
  • KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member

The issue is that people blindly follow a company such a EA, believing they are beings above criticism of any sort.

EA used to be phenomenal and understanding towards their audience, if I may link a very old article here...

Anzeige_Can_a_computer_make_you_cry.jpg

Wish EA was still like this instead of playing everything safe, never adding on but rather taking away from their games and what they could be.
    Kurotard wrote: »

The issue is that people blindly follow a company such a EA, believing they are beings above criticism of any sort.

EA used to be phenomenal and understanding towards their audience, if I may link a very old article here...

Wish EA was still like this instead of playing everything safe, never adding on but rather taking away from their games and what they could be.
    Those adds seems to be from back in the 1980s where EA only published games from other companies. Several of the mentioned persons have never worked for EA but only for other companies who sometimes used EA as their publisher. So the attitude in the article is from game developers employed in other companies and EA only got this to use it when EA published and marketed their games. It has alas never been EA's own attitude ;)
    edited December 2016
    Erpe wrote: »

Those adds seems to be from back in the 1980s where EA only published games from other companies. Several of the mentioned persons have never worked for EA but only for other companies who sometimes used EA as their publisher. So the attitude in the article is from game developers employed in other companies and EA only got this to use it when EA published and marketed their games. It has alas never been EA's own attitude ;)

Even so, EA at one point was a fairly good company. It brought us good games, listened to us, and understood us as gamers all while making profits. I still believe they can make a comeback, but they sure aren't showing it to us with past game and expansion releases...
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

For me it's not even an issue of things returning. I'm all for new things. For me, the real issue is what's not being said and I'm not going to say it again. It will lead to an essay. All I will say is repetitiveness leads to redundancy and redundancy leads to a lack of interest for some people.

I could have easily lived without the old if something new (and promising) truly was on the horizon. But that simply isn't the case for me.
    Exactly, I agree with that completely. The reason I react to a statement like that (a lot of what people complain about 'slowly returning') is because it suggests the people who are complaining want nothing more than some old stuff back. A butler, a whirl pool, a water slider. But sorry, that simply doesn't do credit to what people actually are complaining about. And no, there is no need to repeat it because this section is overloaded with what it is about.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Erpe wrote: »

Even so, EA at one point was a fairly good company. It brought us good games, listened to us, and understood us as gamers all while making profits. I still believe they can make a comeback, but they sure aren't showing it to us with past game and expansion releases...
    I don't agree because EA from the beginning was only a publisher who wanted to use marketing skills to earn as much money as possible by selling and distributing games which in the first decade always was made by other companies who were more interested in making good games than in selling and distributing the games. But EA was very successful already from the beginning. So EA earned a lot of money while the companies who made the games suffered.

Then around 1990 EA got the problem that the companies who made the games were near bankruptcy and EA couldn't go on earning all that money if the game companies who used EA as their publisher went bankrupt. So EA started to buy those companies even though this would have been problematic too if EA had let them just go on making the games in the same way as earlier because then EA would only have had more expenses by owning them. So EA used its marketing skills, its knowledge about the market and its knowledge about how to run a company in the most profitable way to control those bought game companies to make them profitable too. This wasn't always liked by the employees who had to work harder than reasonable and couldn't make decisions on their own like they were used to. There were even examples of game companies where almost all the developers just left after their company had been bought by EA.

So no. EA has never been a good company in the sense you mean. But EA sure has been one of the best companies in the world to earn money and to expand by always buying a huge number of other game producing companies ;)
  • mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    I just try to keep in mind that Sims 2 and 3 didn't have all those things in the first two years, either. Sims 4 is on a bit of a slower schedule it seems, but we may get more than the standard 4 years for EPs and such.

It looks like vampires are coming really soon, based on evidence found in the game code. I'm really excited for that. I'm also hoping for toddlers, improved teens, witches and magic, pets, and cars. There's other things I miss like interests, the attraction system, and zodiac signs. University would be nice to have again, too.

I can't play Sims 3 anymore because my computer can't deal with it and I spend more time troubleshooting than playing. I tried to go back to Sims 2 a few months back but couldn't get into it due to the limited CAS, outdated graphics, and lame Sim AI ( and by this I mean, yes they were situationally aware and reacted to things nicely, but they'll also sit in the hot tub all day, can't route anywhere to save their lives, and other such nuisances). I enjoyed playing with toddlers again briefly but they weren't enough for me to get over the other shortcomings.

So, I have what fun I can have with Sims 4 and eagerly await more content. I'm not ready to call this game a loss, not unless they go another two years and don't release anything worth its salt.

Although at two years in TS3 had tomb exploration,mummies, laundromats, Simbots, vampires, bands, day care, imaginary friends, cemeteries, cars,school buses and taxis to ride in, bachelor parties, subways, seven life stages, firefighters (both NPC and playable), inventors with time machines, teachers, tattoo artists, stylists, meteors and burglars and probably many things I've forgotten. Add 4 months to that, which is where were are now in TS4, TS3 had dogs, cats, pet birds, horses and unicorns.

It's no wonder I feel like TS4 is a little empty.

lmao, can any mod lock this thread please? there's nothing more to add after that
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    I just try to keep in mind that Sims 2 and 3 didn't have all those things in the first two years, either. Sims 4 is on a bit of a slower schedule it seems, but we may get more than the standard 4 years for EPs and such.

It looks like vampires are coming really soon, based on evidence found in the game code. I'm really excited for that. I'm also hoping for toddlers, improved teens, witches and magic, pets, and cars. There's other things I miss like interests, the attraction system, and zodiac signs. University would be nice to have again, too.

I can't play Sims 3 anymore because my computer can't deal with it and I spend more time troubleshooting than playing. I tried to go back to Sims 2 a few months back but couldn't get into it due to the limited CAS, outdated graphics, and lame Sim AI ( and by this I mean, yes they were situationally aware and reacted to things nicely, but they'll also sit in the hot tub all day, can't route anywhere to save their lives, and other such nuisances). I enjoyed playing with toddlers again briefly but they weren't enough for me to get over the other shortcomings.

So, I have what fun I can have with Sims 4 and eagerly await more content. I'm not ready to call this game a loss, not unless they go another two years and don't release anything worth its salt.

Although at two years in TS3 had tomb exploration,mummies, laundromats, Simbots, vampires, bands, day care, imaginary friends, cemeteries, cars,school buses and taxis to ride in, bachelor parties, subways, seven life stages, firefighters (both NPC and playable), inventors with time machines, teachers, tattoo artists, stylists, meteors and burglars and probably many things I've forgotten. Add 4 months to that, which is where were are now in TS4, TS3 had dogs, cats, pet birds, horses and unicorns.

lmao, can any mod lock this thread please? there's nothing more to add after that

@mrnhmath - why does it need to be locked - what @PHOEBESMOM601 said above is true.
  • mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

@mrnhmath - why does it need to be locked - what @PHOEBESMOM601 said above is true.

lol that's my point
    aricarai wrote: »

lol that's my point

Oh right - gotcha!
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Am I the only one who think the sims in this iteration look like clay?
    p6tqefj
    alexandrea wrote: »

Nope. I agree with you. I do not like the art style whatsoever and hope that they go for more realism next time. I want to see strands of hair, blades of grass, etc.
    edited December 2016
    I can't say the graphics are an issue or non issue for me. I think S4 is cute in its own way from an aesthetic standpoint. Graphics have never taken precedence over gameplay for me. I appreciate them. Yes, but I prefer gameplay more.

In S2, features were way too over exaggerated that I wound up developing my own overrides to the game to make it appeal to me overall.

I still don't like the looks of the toddlers or children in S3, but I've chosen not to focus on their appearances. The gameplay is far more valuable to me.

I do still love the retro graphics in S1. It offers both visual and mental entertainment to me.

Having said all that, I'm still waiting for gameplay in S4 and knowing that's not going to happen, aesthetics aside.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2016
    The art style was the first thing to put me off. I think it's dreadful. It's fine if you want to play a game that resembles Toy Story or some other silly pixar styled game, but I like my sims games to look "better". I don't like that kind of style.

Lego style clay hair-hats absolutely don't do it for me.

TS3 already took a step backward, with not having animated hair, but I think TS4 took a massive leap backward in terms of everything aesthetic. It looks like a brightly coloured simplistic game to attract children. Objects are huge and oversized, textures are flat and look like bucketfill, sims look like plastic mannequins, and the outdoor scenery.... it resembles like a pokemon styled game. Fake backdrops and with no real substance.

I didn't particularly like how big headed and kinda pasty some toddlers and children appear in TS3, but pasty can often be fixed by the use of custom skintones. And, even using customs, the Sims still fit well into their environment. I don't believe they do in TS4. I've seen some use of alpha hair and custom skintones to make TS4 sims resemble TS2 or 3 sims, and when put into their environment, simply look out of place to me.

I can't honestly say what the gameplay is like now. I stopped watching LP's or keeping up with the game. For one, because as time has gone on, I've given up hoping it will become something I like, and secondly because even the LP's were so terribly boring.

It's like people were just forcing too hard to make the game look fun or interesting, but all the excited chatter in the world couldn't cover up the fact that it seemed so lacklustre and half baked. Not to mention, there doesn't seem to be a lot of freedom, and the developers seem intent on pushing people to play a certain way, rather than just having this gigantic sandbox to roll around in, and do whatever in the world that you want.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited December 2016
    Pary wrote: »
    The art style was the first thing to put me off. I think it's dreadful. It's fine if you want to play a game that resembles Toy Story or some other silly pixar styled game, but I like my sims games to look "better". I don't like that kind of style.

TS3 already took a step backward, with not having animated hair, but I think TS4 took a massive leap backward in terms of everything aesthetic. It looks like a brightly coloured simplistic game to attract children. Objects are huge and oversized, textures are flat and look like bucketfill, sims look like plastic mannequins, and the outdoor scenery.... it resembles like a pokemon styled game. Fake backdrops and with no real substance.

I didn't particularly like how big headed and kinda pasty some toddlers and children appear in TS3, but pasty can often be fixed by the use of custom skintones. And, even using customs, the Sims still fit well into their environment. I don't believe they do in TS4. I've seen some use of alpha hair and custom skintones to make TS4 sims resemble TS2 or 3 sims, and when put into their environment, simply look out of place to me.

I can't honestly say what the gameplay is like now. I stopped watching LP's or keeping up with the game. For one, because as time has gone on, I've given up hoping it will become something I like, and secondly because even the LP's were so terribly boring.

It's like people were just forcing too hard to make the game look fun or interesting, but all the excited chatter in the world couldn't cover up the fact that it seemed so lacklustre and half baked. Not to mention, there doesn't seem to be a lot of freedom, and the developers seem intent on pushing people to play a certain way, rather than just having this gigantic sandbox to roll around in, and do whatever in the world that you want.

I admit this is the first iteration that has led me to attempt to watch LPs. I think I'm just wondering what is so freaking attractive about this game, but I can't get past the first couple of minutes of any of them. They spend more time talking and gushing and squealing than they do in gameplay.

I have no idea if this is normal for LPs. But it's really left me wondering where the appeal is in watching these things.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member

I admit this is the first iteration that has led me to attempt to watch LPs. I think I'm just wondering what is so freaking attractive about this game, but I can't get past the first couple of minutes of any of them. They spend more time talking and gushing and squealing than they do in gameplay.

I have no idea if this is normal for LPs. But it's really left me wondering where the appeal is in watching these things.

It's not just you. I don't watch LP's anymore because I question their honesty. TS3 LP's were great though.... R.I.P. Quxxn :(
    p6tqefj
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Of course LPs are dishonest when you don't like the game, and are totally legit when you do like it. :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.

In terms of art direction, I must admit I liked The Sims 4 style over The Sims 3. The Sims 3 had this issue for me where Sims had pudding-face syndrome, but adding default replacement skin mods fixed that. While I admit, the brightness of The Sims 4 bothers me (hoping the new pack will provide a neighborhood of sorts like Midnight Hallow or Moonlight Falls), it is aesthetically pleasing to me, as if the design team upped its graphics requirements, a lot of players would not be able to play the game on a standard home computer (myself included). If we ever get around to The Sims 5, I hope they can give us high quality graphics, gameplay, and open-world without any optimization problems in the process.
  • MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited December 2016
    Of course LPs are dishonest when you don't like the game, and are totally legit when you do like it. :D

I think you should stop poking people with a stick for holding a different opinion to your own.
    MrHawk wrote: »

I think you should stop poking people with a stick for holding a different opinion to your own.

To be honest, a lot of LPs out there, albeit ones lesser known, will express what they like and dislike about the games they play. People will give credit where its due.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited December 2016
    alexandrea wrote: »

The art style is migraine inducing ugly.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

They have to do that to hype themselves up to actually play, and to get their viewers excited about the sim in question. lol The few simmers that I do follow on YT where huge supporters of S4 when it first launched. But by this point they've wither returned to playing Sims 2 and Sims 3 99% of the time, or you get a random obligatory Sims 4 video every other month or so.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!