Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do I bother? TS4 is still utterly boring. Even 3 Ep's in. SHAME.

Comments

• Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Why Not follow the format that has worked for years?

Simply because most of players wish for something NEW. And we have got it. Happy dance!

• Options
    MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited December 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I just try to keep in mind that Sims 2 and 3 didn't have all those things in the first two years, either. Sims 4 is on a bit of a slower schedule it seems, but we may get more than the standard 4 years for EPs and such.

It looks like vampires are coming really soon, based on evidence found in the game code. I'm really excited for that. I'm also hoping for toddlers, improved teens, witches and magic, pets, and cars. There's other things I miss like interests, the attraction system, and zodiac signs. University would be nice to have again, too.

I can't play Sims 3 anymore because my computer can't deal with it and I spend more time troubleshooting than playing. I tried to go back to Sims 2 a few months back but couldn't get into it due to the limited CAS, outdated graphics, and lame Sim AI ( and by this I mean, yes they were situationally aware and reacted to things nicely, but they'll also sit in the hot tub all day, can't route anywhere to save their lives, and other such nuisances). I enjoyed playing with toddlers again briefly but they weren't enough for me to get over the other shortcomings.

So, I have what fun I can have with Sims 4 and eagerly await more content. I'm not ready to call this game a loss, not unless they go another two years and don't release anything worth its salt.

Although at two years in TS3 had tomb exploration,mummies, laundromats, Simbots, vampires, bands, day care, imaginary friends, cemeteries, cars,school buses and taxis to ride in, bachelor parties, subways, seven life stages, firefighters (both NPC and playable), inventors with time machines, teachers, tattoo artists, stylists, meteors and burglars and probably many things I've forgotten. Add 4 months to that, which is where were are now in TS4, TS3 had dogs, cats, pet birds, horses and unicorns.

It's no wonder I feel like TS4 is a little empty.

Babysitters, swimable oceans, strollers, terrain tools, real ponds you could automatically fish in, bunk beds, etc. Just a few more to add to the list ;)

Most of that was in the base game too.

Which for me, took several months to buy other packs because there was already so much... stuff.* 4 was the first version I played, and I loved it for a while. But when there is more going on in a mobile version of a game instead of the pc, something isn't quite right. I tried though, I bought City Living on sale (I caved because I still have some misguided affection for it and I saw so many great pix on this very site of what simmers did with their apts), only to discover I have the t-pose eating bug. I laughed and went back to 3.

Luckily I'm not a supernatural fan so I will skip the vampire pack and the following, separate, werewolf, fairy and zombie packs (unless it's JUST vampires S4 is getting - in that case, nevermind), lol

*Full disclosure: One of my sims being able to swim in the ocean was what made me find out what "open world" meant. Before then, I did not play S3 much and I have no idea if I bought Seasons along with the base or a little later as I was still obsessed with 4.
    Post edited by MadIris on
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I can't play TS4 because it is boring and has taken a direction which isn't at all for me and I also don't like that people just buy all those SPs because I know that if their sales numbers are too high then EA will concentrate even more on making smaller expansions with mostly just stuff and very little gameplay. But it alas seems that this is the way the "game" is going anyway because everybody buy the SPs even though they don't like either that half of the EPs now have been replaced by smaller GPs and that even the EPs also have become smaller (and much more rare too).

So people who buy it and like it are part of the problem?
    No. People should of course buy expansions if they like them. But it is my impression that many people buy them just to support the developers or just for one or two unimportant items which they don't feel are worth their money anyway. What I am saying is that people should think differently when they consider to buy anything because they don't support the demands for a better game when they buy inferior expansions which they don't feel are worth their money anyway. On the contrary this will only encourage EA to spare money and to release smaller and smaller expansions with less good content.

So buy expansions if you feel that they are worth your money. But punish EA instead by not buying them if EA releases inferior expansions with too little content or too much content that you don't like. That is the only way to motivate EA to make a better game because EA make plans for future content and expansions just by looking on the sales numbers. Why should EA use more money on the game or make bigger expansions if small cheap expansions with little content sell as well as the big and expensively developed ones?

Each time you buy something you also vote about how EA should plan the future for this game. So use your vote wisely ;)

So..in short...don't like it? Don't buy it. Gotcha :+1:
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    @Erpe, it's really a shame that no one will come in and give EA a run for their money. And it's a shame that Sims 4 is the game that it is. At this point, even if we did get a Sims 5 I'm not expecting much from it. But hey, at least I have the older games to continue to play. And when I get tired of them then I can go make some chaos in GTA. lol
    I don't think that we should give up on TS5 yet for the following reasons:
    1. We don't know the sales numbers for SPs, GPs and EPs. So we can't judge if they really point in a direction where EA will decide to use the same strategy for TS5 and its expansions.
    2. EA always makes a new big Sims game quite different from the previous one. So there still is a chance that TS5 will become a much better and interesting game.

I'm just going to set back and see. Right now, I'm very hesitant. Once bitten, twice shy, as they say.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options

Simply because most of players wish for something NEW. And we have got it. Happy dance!

I wouldn't say most, just some, and lets not forget new simmers who have never played any of the previous Sims games. But what ever floats your boat. For me, this "new" "Sims" game isn't the Sims, and it's not working. They should have stuck with what worked before, because for at least 90% of the players, the older games included their style of game play. And gave them the freedoms that they craved. This game doesn't.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Seriously, I love the sims. I keep coming back for more pack after useless empty pack.

This ^^ - 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I haven't even gotten CL or the new Glamour Life ('cause it's just a knock off version of TS2 one).

I don't know. Even the EPs look like glorified SPs to me these days. However much for a butler and a vanity table? I don't even know. That's how interested I am in it. These things used to all be included in a well thought out EP that gave months of value. Now it's just piece-meal. Not interested.

Yup. Now it's just things halfheartedly slapped together just to get more money. :(

Feels that way to me too!
    @Erpe, it's really a shame that no one will come in and give EA a run for their money. And it's a shame that Sims 4 is the game that it is. At this point, even if we did get a Sims 5 I'm not expecting much from it. But hey, at least I have the older games to continue to play. And when I get tired of them then I can go make some chaos in GTA. lol
    1. We don't know the sales numbers for SPs, GPs and EPs. So we can't judge if they really point in a direction where EA will decide to use the same strategy for TS5 and its expansions.
    2. EA always makes a new big Sims game quite different from the previous one. So there still is a chance that TS5 will become a much better and interesting game.

I don't think we should give up on TS5 either - in fact, I've jotted down some thoughts here about it.

I think it's super important to have a really strong base game and then build off that foundation!
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

That depends entirely on an individuals perception of what was working and what wasn't no?

• Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I can't play TS4.... too boring. TS3 has been fun.

My sims actually look each other in the eye while talking...
    31293302356_562615e647_b.jpg

The sims have more than ONE option to interact with pregnant sims' bellies...
    31566032745_a93b480c91_b.jpg

And of course... My tots <3 Sims 4 just isn't good...
    30724824884_2a98fd7ab4_b.jpg

p6tqefj
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

I'm just going to set back and see. Right now, I'm very hesitant. Once bitten, twice shy, as they say.
    I am not enthusiastic either because we only know that TS5 will become different from TS4. This probably means that TS5 will become better than TS4 is because I don't really see how and why it should become even worse. But of course we will have to wait to see if TS5 really will become enough better to be worth playing.

I still think that there is at least a 95% chance for TS5 to be released in 2018, 2019 or 2020 where I see 2019 as the most likely year and 2020 as the least likely year. I don't think that EA will postpone TS5 longer than this. So maybe we will know more already one year from now :)
  • Options
    I truly hope so. I mean, can things get any worse than Sims 4? If EA really wants to win back their fanbase and the trust that has been lost, then they will pull out all the stops to make Sims 5 the game that many of us had expected Sims 4 to be. I'm still holding out hope that this version will run its five years then fall off to the wayside for something much, much better.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    I truly hope so. I mean, can things get any worse than Sims 4?

$10-40 (SP to EP pricing) for the only pack with toddlers? :fearful:

ETA: Then $2-5 per Pet (i.e. Dog, Cat, Fish, Parrot, Ferret, Lizard, etc).
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I could NEVER go back to TS3-all the bugs,glitches, freezing,lagging and crashes was a game-breaker for me, and my computer back then was the newest model that ran S1, a Disney roller coaster simulator AND a Star Wars screen saver all without problem,and I still had lots of room left for more games. I'll probably go back to S1 if S4 doesn't start showing more promise soon. To me,S1 was the BEST version ever,and I hope EA re-releases it one day.
    Sims 1 broke my computer. True story. My daughter wanted to play, the game started to act strangely, she got impatient (gave a few ctrl-alt-deletes) and that was it. Irreparable, dragging along all our holiday pictures from that year with it down the drain. So yeah, different people, different computers, different experiences.

Did you have a backup to it?
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    but we may get more than the standard 4 years for EPs and such.

Please no... :'( I just want it to end already.

Honestly, if they ended The Sims 4, they could move onto a much better game with The Sims 5 (if we get there even...) Learn from past failures and move onto greater projects.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I could NEVER go back to TS3-all the bugs,glitches, freezing,lagging and crashes was a game-breaker for me, and my computer back then was the newest model that ran S1, a Disney roller coaster simulator AND a Star Wars screen saver all without problem,and I still had lots of room left for more games. I'll probably go back to S1 if S4 doesn't start showing more promise soon. To me,S1 was the BEST version ever,and I hope EA re-releases it one day.
    Sims 1 broke my computer. True story. My daughter wanted to play, the game started to act strangely, she got impatient (gave a few ctrl-alt-deletes) and that was it. Irreparable, dragging along all our holiday pictures from that year with it down the drain. So yeah, different people, different computers, different experiences.

Did you have a backup to it?
    No, that taught me a good - yet tough - lesson ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    There is no guarantee there will be a Sims 5 though. It could also be worse if there is one. There's no guarantee either way.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited December 2016
    I only bought TS4 a couple of weeks ago. I'm a long time Sims player, I've played them all. I probably had the most fun in TS2 because I had no idea there was a community. I was strictly in my own world for years. I loved the customization options in TS3. Using sliders and cc, enabled me to design any Sim I wanted. I also loved the open world and family play. TS3 had so much to offer. with very little limits. My first story I wrote for TS3 took me nearly two years to complete, because there were endless possibilities.

I admit, I bought TS4 for Dine Out and CL mainly. I'm glad I got most of the content during their black Friday sale week. I'm having more fun dressing up my Sim in my avi and posing her and taking pictures. After that, I edit my pics, it's very relaxing. I'll still play it and I want to try out some of the other jobs and open a bakery eventually. I can honestly say when I first got TS3 in 2009, I didn't like it and went back to TS2 until 2013. When I got TS3 again, I had two EPs. I played for hours. I have three EPs, 2 GPs, and 1 SP for TS4 and I'm not playing that long at all. Maybe that will change soon.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Unfortunately looks like it will cost and probably years away but Identity is shaping up to be a new Sims/GTA hybrid https://youtube.com/watch?v=2l5SyrRZpiM
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Unfortunately looks like it will cost and probably years away but Identity is shaping up to be a new Sims/GTA hybrid https://youtube.com/watch?v=2l5SyrRZpiM
    I don't think that this really is what people want. From the description of Identity on https://www.identityrpg.com/info/ :
    "... a new breed of massively multiplayer online role-playing game where hundreds of players interact in a world of absolute freedom, where it's the actions of players which determine your fate and the fate of the world you live in.

Live as a criminal, a police officer, business person or anything in between. You are in full control of your own future in your persuit of wealth, glory and power."

It is interesting though. From the main description of Identity on https://www.identityrpg.com :
    "CHANGING WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN MMORPG
    For over a decade the term MMORPG (massively multiplayer role-playing game) has been associated with grinding and repetitive gameplay. With the help of its supporters, Identity is changing that and restoring the genre to its roots: an open world free of restrictions with a destiny determined by the players."
  • Options
    KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member

Now this is a game I can get behind! At least the developer is listening to the target audience. :3c
  • Options
    Kurotard wrote: »

Now this is a game I can get behind! At least the developer is listening to the target audience. :3c
    Yes. But there doesn't seem to be kids in this game at all. So it isn't a game for family players.

It is also just a massive multiplayer online RPG game even though we haven't seen the quests yet. So it doesn't seem to be a sandbox game at all either. So it hasn't much in common with a Sims game.
  • Options
    The game looks interesting, but it's not the type of game that I want. It's not a life simulation. MMO isn't my thing, but I'm glad those people who like those types of games are getting something that will be what they truly desire in that genre. The developers seem like they are listening to players, and they themselves actually play and love the game. And it shows in the development.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,097 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I can't play TS4.... too boring. TS3 has been fun.

My sims actually look each other in the eye while talking...
    31293302356_562615e647_b.jpg

The sims have more than ONE option to interact with pregnant sims' bellies...
    31566032745_a93b480c91_b.jpg

And of course... My tots <3 Sims 4 just isn't good...
    30724824884_2a98fd7ab4_b.jpg

Lovely pictures and I agree with you completely. The base game for the sims 4 is too weak for me to enjoy. I'm not spending money on it like I did with sims 3 because it doesn't feel like a better version of 3. I played the sims until sims 2 came out and then played 2 until 3-almost thought I was gonna stay with 2. The open world in sims 3 was new and exciting. With sims 4 I don't feel anything new and exciting..toddlers and Tweens along with an airport and public transportation would have been new and exciting.

• Options
    VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    I'd love to see EA put in things they had in Sims 1....Mrs Crumplebottom...the butter churn..the bee hive...the jelly-making station...the mechanical bull. I'd love to see a world with pets and animal shelters in it,as well as a magic world and a Superstar type world.
  • Options
    SakuraLeonSakuraLeon Posts: 272 Member
    As much as I love and am addicted to The Sims 4. I find myself worrying every time a new expansion, game or stuff pack comes out. As I'm finding with every new addition, as much as I love the new items, build and social options. One crucial aspect of the game play just does not seem to be coming back. Toddlers @_@

A lot of what people complain about and want back, does to me anyway, seem to be slowly returning. But the poor family players just seem to sit suffering with the lack of children's activities, CAS items and that horrible object of a new-born jumping into a fully grown child on their birthday.

I will always play The Sims 4, and love all the new packs that come out (sadly loyal fan here). But I wish EA/Maxis would just say if they are bringing toddlers back, or not.

So at least I can play in peace, with my new-born - fully grown child. Or a lovely little new/normal life stage. >.<