Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Is a Child's Game

Comments

• Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited August 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Gucci wrote: »
    If it's "childish" then you're obviously not playing it right.
    How on earth does one play a game 'wrong'?

Apparently one plays a game 'wrong' when one doesn't use his or her imagination.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

Apparently one plays a game 'wrong' when one doesn't use his or her imagination.

I've never heard of this 'imagination.' Is this a new thing? Where can I get one and how much does it cost?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member

Wrong. The sims 2 and 3 don't need (necessarily) imagination. With The sims 4 instead you are forced to use extremely imagination, even for the missing animations/details. That's the truth.
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I've never heard of this 'imagination.' Is this a new thing? Where can I get one and how much does it cost?

Couldn't agree more.

• Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    In My opinion if a child is saying that any of the Sims games are childish, then ya there is a problem, cause then that tells Me that they are way more serious then they should be, I for one know that being too serious is a downfall, cause I did not really have a childhood I had 2 siblings I had to take care of from when I was age 10 and up, so being a Kid was not in My future, they are suppose to play and have fun, joke with friends and enjoy being a Kid, I happen to think the Sims franchise is Fun, and they helped Me enjoy many aspects of family life, that I did not get to do as a Kid, that is how I feel bout it.
    I don't think anyone is having issues with this game being funny, or quirky, or even childish at times. Besides, the opposite of childish isn't necessarily serious, and fun(ny) isn't necessarily a synonym for childish.

I do not recall saying Funny, I did say the game was Fun, and yes a player above in this post had claimed that their children thought the Sims 4 was childish, which I do not think it is, I think you need to read more of the Posts, to understand better what was said, but thank you for your opinion, much appreciated.
    No, you said fun, so I said fun. And added 'ny' myself, because as it happens both fun and funny aren't necessarily synonyms for childish. This was a reaction to your concerns about a child that finds a game too childish because there supposedly'd be a link between that and being serious. More serious than that child should be even, in danger of skipping their childhood.

I don't think kids are in danger here however, just because they don't like angry poops and silly walks and characters climbing in bed covering themselves under their sheets whenever they're sad. You can perfectly well be a happy and playful child when you don't find things like that amusing.
    (I never feel obliged to read all comments in a topic but in this particular case it might very well be possible I have, so that has nothing to do with anything)(and thanks for allowing me my opinion but isn't that the principle of a forum?)

So True, it is bout the forums, :).
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Even if that were true, that has absolutely nothing to do with it being too childish or not. People are using 'humour' and 'fun' as an argument, and seriousness, and maybe imagination too? All that has got nothing to do with the feeling the game has a childish approach on things though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Even if that were true, that has absolutely nothing to do with it being too childish or not. People are using 'humour' and 'fun' as an argument, and seriousness, and maybe imagination too? All that has got nothing to do with the feeling the game has a childish approach on things though.

I said the game is Not Childish, but that is My Opinion on it, :).
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    ChloeDeCookie, what excactly is your age? I bet I am a lot older than you and I enjoy playing the Sims 4. It is so much my way of playing, that I enjoy every moment. And in fact I know that many players world wide are plus 25.

She's a young teen... I'm over 50. :p Wide range of players.

I found a LOCAL 2/3 player last night at work, that excited me, a regular customer, maybe 30ish (I'll ask next time he comes in).

Told him if he tried 4, to get MC, and we had a nice chat about Pescado. Cool thing. :)

I am over 60 closer to 70, and I do enjoy the easier style of the game, but the silliness of some of it, is just not my cup of tea. I use it to relax, that is what I come on to play games for to relax and forget my cancer treatments and this just does that for me. To say I laugh at the game, I do sometimes, but not for the things like angry poops and the pee walk.
  • Options
    BristolkatBristolkat Posts: 43 Member
    The Sims 4 Is to the Sims franchise What Sim City Societies was to the Sim City Franchise.

A simpler scaled down version In order to appeal to Younger Kids. Not that there is anything wrong with appealing to tweens and teens ! I mean they deserve stuff too, But EA really threw the baby out with the bathwater on this one. The game isn't appealing to either the younger generation they are courting or The Long time fans of the series. I Kind of fear This is the end of the sims, kind of like how Sim societies was the unofficial end of the Sim City Series. EA's Silence when it comes to The sims franchise is deafening.
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    Okay, wait. Hold up. We need to protect the underage users, okay. But what about the adult users? Adults get kidnapped too.
    Adults are supposed to be able to take care of themselves. But the problem with minors is that adults can trick them by pretending to be at their own age so the minors don't see any danger in meeting them in rl. Of course EA doesn't want stories in the media about such things happening in this forum. So EA attempts to prohibit it ;)

On the sims 3 forums there was an incident of this, and the person(male adult) was gifting a young female (minor I think 13) He was buying her all kinds of items from the store, then encouraging her to go into tinychat and talk to him and tell her what she wanted from the store and other information. Some simmers picked up on this, and we headed to tinychat and looked at the posts, they were not appropriate, so we went back and called him out, and then reported him to EA. Come to find out he had gotten her address and phone number and they were communicating outside of the forums I mean like they were calling each other and stuff. See, you just never know.
  • Options
    I think the walk is kind of funny, it made me smile when I first saw it, :).
  • Options
    In My opinion if a child is saying that any of the Sims games are childish, then ya there is a problem, cause then that tells Me that they are way more serious then they should be, I for one know that being too serious is a downfall, cause I did not really have a childhood I had 2 siblings I had to take care of from when I was age 10 and up, so being a Kid was not in My future, they are suppose to play and have fun, joke with friends and enjoy being a Kid, I happen to think the Sims franchise is Fun, and they helped Me enjoy many aspects of family life, that I did not get to do as a Kid, that is how I feel bout it.
    I don't think anyone is having issues with this game being funny, or quirky, or even childish at times. Besides, the opposite of childish isn't necessarily serious, and fun(ny) isn't necessarily a synonym for childish.

I do not recall saying Funny, I did say the game was Fun, and yes a player above in this post had claimed that their children thought the Sims 4 was childish, which I do not think it is, I think you need to read more of the Posts, to understand better what was said, but thank you for your opinion, much appreciated.
    No, you said fun, so I said fun. And added 'ny' myself, because as it happens both fun and funny aren't necessarily synonyms for childish. This was a reaction to your concerns about a child that finds a game too childish because there supposedly'd be a link between that and being serious. More serious than that child should be even, in danger of skipping their childhood.

I don't think kids are in danger here however, just because they don't like angry poops and silly walks and characters climbing in bed covering themselves under their sheets whenever they're sad. You can perfectly well be a happy and playful child when you don't find things like that amusing.
    (I never feel obliged to read all comments in a topic but in this particular case it might very well be possible I have, so that has nothing to do with anything)(and thanks for allowing me my opinion but isn't that the principle of a forum?)

You know how I would love to see this game evolve, and it has nothing to do with the game not being childish. I feel some aspects of the game are childish, like the ones I mentioned. (I only quoted you because I know from other posts that you know how I feel about where the game should go, not because of your content here).
  • Options
    WenzelWenzel Posts: 75 Member
    edited August 2016
    Some thoughts:

1. The SIMS' marketing and PR has gone totally out of hand with happiness and brightness and plastic colours. But I can live with that. It seems I'm not in their target group. Fine. I have to admit it exerts some strange plastic appeal even on me. It's like a pack of glossy smarties. The same is true for some of the naming of actions (e.g. "imply mother is a lama"). I think that "funny" things like these would make me smile if I was happy with the game. However, since I'm not a fan of the game at all (except for buildmode and CAS), they rather make me angry.

2. In general, there is a lack of dirty textures or even ordinary textures that make objects appear "used". Everything looks brand new.

3. Lack of weather and seasons. Sunny, sunny, sunny 24-7.

So generally speaking, the SIMS are overly sunny, tidy, bright and ... "cute". I'm not even mentioning those pink trees. They're not childish, they're an insult.

The sunnyness wouldn't even be a bad thing if the SIMS was not supposed to be a life-simulation of some kind. For a life-simulation, crossing out sadness and the dark (not black, but at least grey!) stuff means that you're crossing out half of what life is about. From a game's perspective, you're also crossing out a potential source of challenge and motivation. In order to make us players want a better, happier life for our sims, you first need to give us some of the miserable, unhappy life! This would also help me feel accomplishment in the game. Which reminds me of another point that belongs to the sunny, bright, teletubby-land:

4. I've never had any problem with money in the sims. If you have a job, it all goes up, up, up reliably. Boring and unrealistic. You're taking away what could be an interesting factor for gameplay.

5. Animations. Well, some of them are really inappropriate for grown-up sims (bladder-walk). They would still be cute and funny if they occured a bit less often. On the other hand, I think that all animations are be exaggerated for a reason: to give the player a fast visual cue that their sim has an urgent need.

6. The deepest reason why the SIMS feel childish to me is hard to describe. It's superficiality in social interactions. I guess it's just extremely difficult to make social interactions interesting for players if sims neither have interests/a character nor concrete things to talk about nor any "goal" to achieve in a conversation (as a conversation hardly serves a purpose in terms of gameplay). You just watch sims chat with random speech bubbles above their heads. If it wasn't for some kind of emotional drama in the animations, what would be left?

In general, a shift away from the sims' bodily needs towards a stronger focus on the social life of sims would help a lot to make the game feel less childish. Bodily needs are childish. Grown-ups have usually mastered the art of bladder- and stomach-management. Also, if they have an urgent need, they usually try to hide and conceal it from others, as there is no mommy (=player) around to help them. ;)
    Post edited by Wenzel on
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I think the walk is kind of funny, it made me smile when I first saw it, :).

Yeah, it's a bit funny the first time you see it. I just wish they would run to the toilet like they did in the Sims (2?) It annoys me to see them actually walk slower when they have to pee instead of faster.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    There are many different senses of humor in the world. Seems like a petty thing to be complaining about. The Sims has always been exaggerated and weird, this is no different. Not everyone is going to be amused by everything.
  • Options
    BambooGirlBambooGirl Posts: 129 Member
    This game is time killer. Bright, shiny and cute.
    However I agree that in some aspects The Sims 4 humor is extremely lame. But, hey, it's tasty candy. Where do you see gloomy and serious candies nowadays?
    HeHySHc.png
    The Legacy of Bamboo Girl Updated 9/3/16
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    BambooGirl wrote: »
    This game is time killer. Bright, shiny and cute.
    However I agree that in some aspects The Sims 4 humor is extremely lame. But, hey, it's tasty candy. Where do you see gloomy and serious candies nowadays?

Hm. When I choose to play a game, I actually set aside days and timeframes where I can play for hours uninterrupted. That's how I play most games. If I just want to kill time, I pick up that blasted baby blanket I'm still making for my second grandchild due in October. Or I create a mockup of a picture I want to paint or draw, or I create schematics for the next organizer I'm going to build, etc... Or I just sit back and read the forums, or even a book.
  • Options

I said the game is Not Childish, but that is My Opinion on it, :).
    When did you say that? (not saying you didn't but I may have missed it)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    jimmysnan wrote: »

You know how I would love to see this game evolve, and it has nothing to do with the game not being childish. I feel some aspects of the game are childish, like the ones I mentioned. (I only quoted you because I know from other posts that you know how I feel about where the game should go, not because of your content here).
    Yes, I do ;) I think it's a rather complicated issue to be honest, because I actually love it when adults are portrayed by acting childish. It's often utterly funny, when done right. I'm thinking of characters in sitcoms for instance.

tumblr_static_tumblr_m880r1crne1rrb46o.gif

Chandler-Bing-Shut-up.gif

Ross-Why-Would-You-Do-That.gif

bbts2.gif

throwing-papers-up-in-air.gif

1390119331665.gif

tumblr_m7abf59Hvv1r4tp8ho4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_ma7n760CMY1r4pwt8o1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_o8ss9s4gR71rt5uaz_500.gif

I love behaviour like that, I guess because it sort of exposes what's deep inside us when we're having an emotion, we just learned to canalize and control it. Which makes it funny when we actually see an adult react primary like that. I think there's just too much of it in Sims 4 for many/some/I don't know. And too little to counterbalance the silly behaviour.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I love behaviour like that, I guess because it sort of exposes what's deep inside us when we're having an emotion, we just learned to canalize and control it. Which makes it funny when we actually see an adult react primary like that. I think there's just too much of it in Sims 4 for many/some/I don't know. And too little to counterbalance the silly behaviour.
    I just think there isn't enough dark humor to balance it out. Too much of anything isn't always a good thing. There should be more than one type of humor in the Sims. There always has been, but I don't know why dark humor stopped with the Sims 4.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I just think there isn't enough dark humor to balance it out. Too much of anything isn't always a good thing. There should be more than one type of humor in the Sims. There always has been, but I don't know why dark humor stopped with the Sims 4.

I think that the simple answer to that is that dark humour wasn't supposed to be in Olympus...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The more thought that goes into this, the more complex it becomes. Just reading the last couple of posts from Joanne and Scobre.

Part of me believes the sims need a certain level of childishness in order for us to actually care about them. We need them to need us. Maybe? Otherwise we don't care.

But there's a separate issue that appears to be bordering more on comedy than immaturity. Perhaps?

For example, I enjoy the bold humour from Southpark and Monty Python. I have very questionable taste when it comes to what I find funny. To me, a sim farting is truly amusing, but only if it's a slob sim doing it. I don't find it funny when my snob sim does it. Minor difference in spelling, but huge difference in expectation.

I do like the pee walk and the idea behind an angry pooh in essence. An angry pooh actually has a dual meaning to me that basically says, "!@#$ on this!" But it's not necessary to always see that option just because a sim is angry. Same goes for the pee-walk. It makes sense if there's a line up at the john, but not if there's a complete opening to the john. If I have to go, I bloody well go, and I go as fast as I can. In that rare instance when there's a lineup a mile long, I'd say the pee-walk is fairly realistic, and even amusing because it takes reference from those days at the fair. But how often should that occur? How often have I experienced it myself? I can honestly say extremely rarely.

Now on the topic of humour again, I just have to say it, I can't stand the Simpsons or Family Guy. Those shows are not funny; not to me, and it irritates me when people around me reference them and expect me to laugh along with them. That type of humour is less crude and more d-umb.

But I wouldn't say either spectrum of humour is more childish than the other. In all honesty, all levels of humour are childish, including dry humour. The sims have also always been childish in a sense.

So, does that basically leave us to what we find amusing on a personal level? Has that been what The Sims has always focused on? Surely, there has to be more about why the game feels immature. It's not really the graphics either. That's a really subjective experience.

For me, I think it's just the fact that the game feels like it doesn't need me. It doesn't appeal to me, and it really doesn't care about what I'd like to do, and no matter how immature I am in real life (and believe me when I say I'm very immature), this game feels far more childish than Animal Crossing. Others may feel differently.

Note: I like to use Animal Crossing as a reference when I refer to the sims quite often, because for the life of me, I tried to understand why I enjoy that game and I don't like The Sims 4. I think it's because my expectations for both games are quite different.
  • Options

I think that the simple answer to that is that dark humour wasn't supposed to be in Olympus...

Well if Olympus was real (and I partly believe it was), the players would become the dark humour. ;)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Well if Olympus was real (and I partly believe it was), the players would become the dark humour. ;)

I actually wonder what the Olympus community would have been like.

Would it have been a jolly old Sims community full of fun or would it have been nothing more than a troll fest?

I mean, we have always had a few trolls around, what online community doesn't but was there even an age requirement for Olympus?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I actually wonder what the Olympus community would have been like.

Would it have been a jolly old Sims community full of fun or would it have been nothing more than a troll fest?

I mean, we have always had a few trolls around, what online community doesn't but was there even an age requirement for Olympus?

I honestly don't know. The last online game I ever played was Soldier of Fortune. My sisters played Second Life. I don't recall them talking about trolls. Mostly, they talked about how much they enjoyed it and how much I should have tried it. In the end. Their biggest complaint was that it was taking up too much of their real life. My son loves his MMO's. Again. He mostly just complains about how easy they are and then he complains when others complain about how hard they are.

He's like me in that essence. We like challenges.

But again, he also complains about how much of his real life it consumes.

Overall, I can't say I really know how Olympus would have turned out. I actually have no idea if there would have been age restrictions. Perhaps I should ask him.

I can honestly say I don't want to play and socialize with someone more than 2 decades younger than me. There is a taboo. It make me pervy if I do, and it honestly doesn't feel right.