May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Is a Child's Game

Comments

• Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Voeille wrote: »
    I miss bed cuddling too... awake and asleep. It was nice to see a married couple cuddle after sleeping with eachother for a while. you can feel the connection.

Cuddling in TS2 is amazing, it really does make the impression that sims love each other and want to stay close.

TqNP72n.png

I also like that sometimes when a sim is sitting and some other sim walks next to them they look at that sim and smile, it shows that they’re aware of someone’s presence instead of ignoring them, and it isn’t as ‘aggressive’ as trying to talk with them for the whole day ignoring everything else.

I didn't know you could do this in TS2. Which EP did this come with?

EP?
    Once upon a time, EA use to make well done BASE games that incorporated basic stuff.
    That my dear is in the base game. They would cuddle like that after WooHoo.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,624 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I miss bed cuddling too... awake and asleep. It was nice to see a married couple cuddle after sleeping with eachother for a while. you can feel the connection.

Cuddling in TS2 is amazing, it really does make the impression that sims love each other and want to stay close.

TqNP72n.png

I also like that sometimes when a sim is sitting and some other sim walks next to them they look at that sim and smile, it shows that they’re aware of someone’s presence instead of ignoring them, and it isn’t as ‘aggressive’ as trying to talk with them for the whole day ignoring everything else.

Base game. They did it naturally.

Oh I never seen it. Or maybe I forgot. That is cute.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,624 Member
    meeoun wrote: »

TqNP72n.png

EP?
    Once upon a time, EA use to make well done BASE games that incorporated basic stuff.

I just don't remember it. I'm launching my game now. lol But yes this is what you call a base game. I love TS2!
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Seems like most people enjoy the game though...
    I think EA is just trying to progress sims into a kid-friendly game. That way they can say they make games for all ages. With that in mind
    TS5 Map might be looking like:
    2exni42.jpg

At least it's in color! Are those proper roads and cars? That's an improvement.

lol that got you an 'awesome' from me! :joy:
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

TqNP72n.png

Base game. They did it naturally.

The sims didn't do that in the base game, the cuddle in bed interaction came with Freetime.

• Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited August 2016
    Deleted
    Post edited by Simsister2004 on
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Gucci wrote: »
    If it's "childish" then you're obviously not playing it right.
    How on earth does one play a game 'wrong'?

Apparently one plays a game 'wrong' when one doesn't use his or her imagination.

Wrong. The sims 2 and 3 don't need (necessarily) imagination. With The sims 4 instead you are forced to use extremely imagination, even for the missing animations/details. That's the truth.

^this

With the Sims 4 you need to imagine everything, right down to pretty much every single conversation they're having. I for one really liked seeing the occasional text after clicking on gossip, for example. Especially because they usually gossiped about things that had actually happened to them that day/week. Even rabbit hole jobs had more relevance to the rest of the game in TS3 than they do in TS4, so there too, you pretty much just need to imagine they're doing anything at all because none of what happens before or after really matters anyway (except of course, for their mooood). Same with the traits. In TS3 a neat sim cleans, a workaholic works, a fan of the supernatural casts spell *at random*. In TS4, you'd actually have to make them do what their traits should supposedly make them do, cause if you don't .. well, they're off to troll teh forums, play games on their phones (even when they just got to work & are ambitious people?!?!?!) or watch tv. Regardless of their traits.

So if by using your imagination you meant that you literally need to imagine them having real personalities, then ok .. But the sims' personalities used to be part of the challenges you could set up for the story you had in mind, and well, I def. prefer that.

This this and ALL of this! Yessssssss!
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Deleted
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    EP?

They also do it before getting up, also naturally :) I believe it was in the base game, however I can’t say for sure from my own experience – too many years have passed and I simply forgot ;)

Also @kremesch73 and @king_of_simcity7 – you both made my want to try out Tomb Raider I and II, especially given that I’m somehow into old games... For most of my life I used to play basically only The Sims (with a few exceptions), but something changed in 2013 and I started to occasionally play different games and got involved... But well I shouldn’t derail the thread, sorry OP.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    That's so hilarious! And how does "using your imagination" fit with "child's game"?

Ever heard of lego?

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    StarbucksLover05StarbucksLover05 Posts: 87 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Gucci wrote: »
    If it's "childish" then you're obviously not playing it right.
    How on earth does one play a game 'wrong'?

Apparently one plays a game 'wrong' when one doesn't use his or her imagination.

Wrong. The sims 2 and 3 don't need (necessarily) imagination. With The sims 4 instead you are forced to use extremely imagination, even for the missing animations/details. That's the truth.

^this

With the Sims 4 you need to imagine everything, right down to pretty much every single conversation they're having. I for one really liked seeing the occasional text after clicking on gossip, for example. Especially because they usually gossiped about things that had actually happened to them that day/week. Even rabbit hole jobs had more relevance to the rest of the game in TS3 than they do in TS4, so there too, you pretty much just need to imagine they're doing anything at all because none of what happens before or after really matters anyway (except of course, for their mooood). Same with the traits. In TS3 a neat sim cleans, a workaholic works, a fan of the supernatural casts spell *at random*. In TS4, you'd actually have to make them do what their traits should supposedly make them do, cause if you don't .. well, they're off to troll teh forums, play games on their phones (even when they just got to work & are ambitious people?!?!?!) or watch tv. Regardless of their traits.

So if by using your imagination you meant that you literally need to imagine them having real personalities, then ok .. But the sims' personalities used to be part of the challenges you could set up for the story you had in mind, and well, I def. prefer that.

Beautifully worded. I agree 100%, thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    That's so hilarious! And how does "using your imagination" fit with "child's game"?
    How do you mean?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    Well, the whole obsession EA has going on with llamas definitely brings back bad memories of my awkward random phase, but aside from that, I'm pretty cool with it.

I think some of the 'childish' features add a bit of style and character to the game, and it's not like it's only young adults domain either - though it can feel a little patronizing at times, but, hey, if you enjoy something, why let something as simple as that stop you?
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Hm. I always thought I was using my imagination for all the Sims games.

Weird. Because I always felt like Sims 4 was fighting with my imagination. Yet, for approximately 1 and a half years, my imagination kept telling me the game would probably get better. It didn't.

Now it turns out I don't even have an imagination. I'm godsmacked at how much I was fooling myself. :\
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    It's a bit silly (weirder stories etc.) but I wouldn't call it childish.
    • Angry poop -- silly but harmless; don't think I"ve ever seen it, but I don't have Angry Sims that often.
    • Insults -- ever hear of "yo mama" insults? "Yo mama so lazy she thinks a two-income family is where yo daddy has two jobs." Most of them are a lot cruder than that -- as well as NSFW or family viewing. "Yo mama is a llama" is mild -- and if they had it in that form it would even rhyme.
    • Troll Teh Forums -- that's just young person computer speak, came about probably from a typo on a forum somewhere. If your Sims are really doing it all the time, check their traits -- I think Mean and Goofball Sims tend to do it more than others. It's actually one of the more harmless Mischief interactions. There may be mods that turn off autonomous trolling.
    • Woohoo -- That's been around since Sims 1; you can blame the ESRB for that so the series can keep it's T rating instead of jumping up to M.
    • Potty walk -- Exaggerated, but when you really have to go and are trying to find a bathroom there's a fair bit of muscle clenching going on; the walk just sort of emphasizes that.

Personally, I'd like to see more of the humor and whimsy of past Sims games back in the series. Sims 2 was the funniest, with satellites landing on random Sims, goosing your partner when flirting, and the like. But I like the silly little touches -- life's just way too serious sometimes and I need to get away.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

Ever heard of lego?

Point? Sure, plenty of child's games use imagination -- but imagination isn't limited to just children. Without imagination there would never be another work of fiction, from Harry Potter to the latest romance. Without imagination there wouldn't be bridges designed, ships built or buildings crafted. Without imagination there wouldn't be any new foods or recipes, no "experimental cuisine" restaurants. Someone had to imagine that stuff, then use skills to make them work. It feels in a lot of these posts that people are equating imagination with children, and we're supposed to move on from that as we get older. Well, plum that. :s
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    StarbucksLover05StarbucksLover05 Posts: 87 Member
    You know you have a water-downed game when an online kissing game is more romantic than a life simulator.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited August 2016
    Really, no one said that having to use your imagination is the same as being childish... But it's perfectly possible for a game to both require the use of imagination & still be childish. Anyway, I made my point already as to what bothers me about "using imagination" when playing TS4. I'm by no means a player who needs tons of realism & no silliness. But I do want depth & possibilities.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,430 Member
    edited August 2016
    Scobre wrote: »
    I do think it is designed that way. No reflection on Simmers themselves however. What stands out the worst for me is the potty humor and the lame makeouts and woohoo animations. I mean the kissing is just so tame and they took out goosing. I loved that animation and the bed cuddling. :( Now it feels like there is a bubble in between Sims that they can't really express real emotions between each other. The whole connection between the Sims feels like it has been lost and toned down a lot. There is definitely a shallow/kid aspect of the game. I mean there really isn't anything scary in the game even Grim Reaper looks more like a buddy than a scary dude. Makes me sad because of how awesome the reaper is in Overwatch. That reaper scares me, this one uses a tablet..... :/ Even the life states have been toned down and aren't even that scary. Makes me miss the dark more teen rated mature aspect the Sims used to have. I sometimes think the Sims 4 is trying to be too much like the MySims series keeping an E rating. The Sims 4 needs to grow up to be worthy of the Teen rating.

You definitely hit the nail on the head. While The Sims 4's content barely touches the T rating, Woohoo alone is what pushes it to that territory. While it may intentionally/unintentionally fall towards the E10+ rating in other aspects, saying that it should be rated E (in other words, for all ages) is a bit of a stretch.
    Post edited by MMX on
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2016
    Honestly I think the Sims 4 lacks imagination. It is so limited in design. In a way it has culled imagination from the series. Remove tools, remove imagination possibilities and the Sims 4 simply does not have those tools. Ever try telling a deviant story with this iteration? You can't. Other Simmers have tried too. The Sims 4 was designed for limited storytelling. So no it doesn't fit. I think the excuse "using your imagination" is as funny as the "you rule" slogan. Ex. of tools never to be in this iteration CAW, CAST, town editor, lot placement and picking lot sizes.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Ever heard of lego?

Point? Sure, plenty of child's games use imagination -- but imagination isn't limited to just children. Without imagination there would never be another work of fiction, from Harry Potter to the latest romance. Without imagination there wouldn't be bridges designed, ships built or buildings crafted. Without imagination there wouldn't be any new foods or recipes, no "experimental cuisine" restaurants. Someone had to imagine that stuff, then use skills to make them work. It feels in a lot of these posts that people are equating imagination with children, and we're supposed to move on from that as we get older. Well, plum that. :s
    Well, yeah, exactly: point? NZsimm3r wasn't the one to bring 'imagination' into the discussion, they merely answered a question. I don't understand that question ("How does using your imagination fit with child's game") and what it's got to do with the subject of this topic, I truely don't. Do you?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Deleted
  • Options
    But the point is, that for grown ups like myself and many other players, it's a wonderful game, where we can use our imagination and get new tools all the time, some we have to pay for and some we get for free. I have watched my teenage daughter play the game, and she definately didn't have as much fun and didn't even get close to "You rule" the way I do. And for Ch..... sake, how does a positive player even get one word off the chest, before all the negative opinions clutter everything up. Sometimes I consider to leave the forums for good, if it wasn't for the few nice and postive people in here, who always are so helpful when I have a question.
    People are having an opinion about the game, some think it has too many childish elements in it. Are they not allowed to feel that way? That's in no way personal, in no way aimed at players who don't feel that way, it's got nothing to do with players, it's got to do with a game. Calling that opinion hilarious in fact is personal, or stating that only 'those who have enough fantasy and imagination to have a blast finding new challenges all the time' get the game. By that you make it a player's problem, instead of a game's problem. And why leave the forums over a complaint posted in the Feedback section with a very clear and unequivocal title. Why not just leave this section if discussions like this feel like a smack in your face? This is feedback, we're giving feedback. Me personally, I genuinely dislike the fact my sims all behave like little children all the time. I simply do.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Ever heard of lego?

My point was quite simply that all quality child's play is imagination based in response to the poster who said that how does imagination and child's play go together.

Of course imagination is not limited to children. People engage their imagination all the time. It can be as simple as day dreaming or as complex as working towards a life changing new medicine. It all starts from imagining a different state than is currently being experienced.