May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Is a Child's Game

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Gucci wrote: »
    If it's "childish" then you're obviously not playing it right.
    How on earth does one play a game 'wrong'?
    When they don't conform to the rules and regulations of the game.

The problem is that they made it too much of a "game" in the first place. The Story Mode where you unlocked stuff and the Online Mode where who knows what they would have made you do would be the stars back when it was Olympus. The hidden lots and the careers being very linear on launch were remnants of that Story Mode.

The Sims does not have the lore to carry a Story Mode the way BioWare games do. If EA wants to make a Story Mode Sims, then they should give it to BioWare. Heck, one of BioWare's last projects before EA bought them was a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG, so they can make something lighter than their M-rated fare.

I can not stress enough how much I dislike the unlocking of 'stuff.'
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    The more thought that goes into this, the more complex it becomes. Just reading the last couple of posts from Joanne and Scobre.

Part of me believes the sims need a certain level of childishness in order for us to actually care about them. We need them to need us. Maybe? Otherwise we don't care.

But there's a separate issue that appears to be bordering more on comedy than immaturity. Perhaps?

For example, I enjoy the bold humour from Southpark and Monty Python. I have very questionable taste when it comes to what I find funny. To me, a sim farting is truly amusing, but only if it's a slob sim doing it. I don't find it funny when my snob sim does it. Minor difference in spelling, but huge difference in expectation.

I do like the pee walk and the idea behind an angry pooh in essence. An angry pooh actually has a dual meaning to me that basically says, "!@#$ on this!" But it's not necessary to always see that option just because a sim is angry. Same goes for the pee-walk. It makes sense if there's a line up at the john, but not if there's a complete opening to the john. If I have to go, I bloody well go, and I go as fast as I can. In that rare instance when there's a lineup a mile long, I'd say the pee-walk is fairly realistic, and even amusing because it takes reference from those days at the fair. But how often should that occur? How often have I experienced it myself? I can honestly say extremely rarely.

Now on the topic of humour again, I just have to say it, I can't stand the Simpsons or Family Guy. Those shows are not funny; not to me, and it irritates me when people around me reference them and expect me to laugh along with them. That type of humour is less crude and more d-umb.

But I wouldn't say either spectrum of humour is more childish than the other. In all honesty, all levels of humour are childish, including dry humour. The sims have also always been childish in a sense.

So, does that basically leave us to what we find amusing on a personal level? Has that been what The Sims has always focused on? Surely, there has to be more about why the game feels immature. It's not really the graphics either. That's a really subjective experience.

For me, I think it's just the fact that the game feels like it doesn't need me. It doesn't appeal to me, and it really doesn't care about what I'd like to do, and no matter how immature I am in real life (and believe me when I say I'm very immature), this game feels far more childish than Animal Crossing. Others may feel differently.

Note: I like to use Animal Crossing as a reference when I refer to the sims quite often, because for the life of me, I tried to understand why I enjoy that game and I don't like The Sims 4. I think it's because my expectations for both games are quite different.
    Wonderfully worded.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2016

The problem is that they made it too much of a "game" in the first place. The Story Mode where you unlocked stuff and the Online Mode where who knows what they would have made you do would be the stars back when it was Olympus. The hidden lots and the careers being very linear on launch were remnants of that Story Mode.

The Sims does not have the lore to carry a Story Mode the way BioWare games do. If EA wants to make a Story Mode Sims, then they should give it to BioWare. Heck, one of BioWare's last projects before EA bought them was a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG, so they can make something lighter than their M-rated fare.
    Ah, yes, you're right. If we would discuss any other game but Sims here ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
  • Options

I can not stress enough how much I dislike the unlocking of 'stuff.'
    The worst unlocking I have ever seen was in Rock Band 3. Want a plain dress and a bowler hat? Sorry, you have to master the keyboard lessons first. That's right, you need all the instruments, and then the skill playing them all, to unlock simple and usable outfits.

The only locking mechanism The Sims should have should be in-game money. If the developers have to make quests and unlockables to get the player to do something, they're not making a very good simulator to begin with.

Given that I don't play rockband and would never, I ask you this: Is this a good model to base all future games on?
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I love the quirkiness of this game. Kinda my personality. The only reason this game could seem childish to some people is because other games were more mature and serious, the quirkiness is quite unique therefore, makin us jump to different conclusions. The art style is very fun too, more casual. I know people say this game is too happy however I like that its a mostly happy game. Yet again, I'm young and my quirky personality is sometimes attracted to childish things so I may not be the best judge
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

I actually wonder what the Olympus community would have been like.

Would it have been a jolly old Sims community full of fun or would it have been nothing more than a troll fest?

I mean, we have always had a few trolls around, what online community doesn't but was there even an age requirement for Olympus?

I honestly don't know. The last online game I ever played was Soldier of Fortune. My sisters played Second Life. I don't recall them talking about trolls. Mostly, they talked about how much they enjoyed it and how much I should have tried it. In the end. Their biggest complaint was that it was taking up too much of their real life. My son loves his MMO's. Again. He mostly just complains about how easy they are and then he complains when others complain about how hard they are.

He's like me in that essence. We like challenges.

But again, he also complains about how much of his real life it consumes.

Overall, I can't say I really know how Olympus would have turned out. I actually have no idea if there would have been age restrictions. Perhaps I should ask him.

I can honestly say I don't want to play and socialize with someone more than 2 decades younger than me. There is a taboo. It make me pervy if I do, and it honestly doesn't feel right.

Interesting reply :smile:

I have played GTA Online. The trolling on there makes this place look quiet and that is just the occasional PM from someone who you beat in a race...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I have played GTA Online. The trolling on there makes this place look quiet and that is just the occasional PM from someone who you beat in a race...

So it's not something I would be interested in, basically.

Given that I don't play rockband and would never, I ask you this: Is this a good model to base all future games on?
    Buying expensive peripherals and needing a lot of skill on them to unlock basic stuff? That would be a horrible model for unlocking stuff.[/quote]

• Options

So it's not something I wouldn't be interested in, basically.

Depends on what your interests are. GTA is not The Sims but their (open) world is much better :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Depends on what your interests are. GTA is not The Sims but their (open) world is much better :smile:

My quote in that previous comment is so messed up and I can't even recall what I was trying to say. Sad day. But no. GTA is not my thing. my sister that was into Second Life was into GTA. I don't judge it on that. I just judge it on the fact that we had different taste.

You and I liked Tomb Raider at one time, but I would count all my bets on us liking all the same games.
  • Options

My quote in that previous comment is so messed up and I can't even recall what I was trying to say. Sad day. But no. GTA is not my thing. my sister that was into Second Life was into GTA. I don't judge it on that. I just judge it on the fact that we had different taste.

You and I liked Tomb Raider at one time, but I would count all my bets on us liking all the same games.

Thanks for remembering that I liked TR :smile:

I liked TR1 & TR2 the best.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Me too. 1 was great. 2 was better. I never forget. It's actually a flaw.
  • Options

TR2 was home to 'The Temple of Xian' which was the greatest Tomb Raider level ever made.

That is the level with the dagger of Xian right in front of you but when you get close to it the floor drops and you fall onto a chute which takes you to a waterfall which then drops you into a lake with a second waterfall taking you into a second lake.

When you get to the surface and save the game you know that it is going to be a long way back to the top.

Classic Tomb Raider :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

TR2 was home to 'The Temple of Xian' which was the greatest Tomb Raider level ever made.

That is the level with the dagger of Xian right in front of you but when you get close to it the floor drops and you fall onto a chute which takes you to a waterfall which then drops you into a lake with a second waterfall taking you into a second lake.

When you get to the surface and save the game you know that it is going to be a long way back to the top.

Classic Tomb Raider :smile:

Hehe. I still have them on my PSP. I can't find the blasted connectors for my PS2. Sad days. My sister let me know they were on the iPhon/iPad, but they require a certain controller—so not the same thing! :'(

It really was a great game. it was another rare venture into a world that would never be ventured again or expanded upon. So many lost opportunities, I would say, but apparently, others would beg to differ.
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member

There's no wrong way to play the sims. I never saw any rules to follow either. I'm mainly bored with sims 4 for being kid-friendly and repetitive.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

There's no wrong way to play the sims. I never saw any rules to follow either. I'm mainly bored with sims 4 for being kid-friendly and repetitive.

Yeah. I must have missed the memo too. Can't find anything regarding how to play properly, or imaginination in the specs either. Der. I must be d-umb.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Seems like most people enjoy the game though...
    I think EA is just trying to progress sims into a kid-friendly game. That way they can say they make games for all ages. With that in mind
    TS5 Map might be looking like:
    2exni42.jpg
  • Options
    meeoun wrote: »
    I think EA is just trying to progress sims into a kid-friendly game. That way they can say they make games for all ages. With that in mind
    2exni42.jpg

Am I a sick person for saying that actually appeals to me?

If you sold it to me as 'The Ville' I might have actually grabbed it for $5 to try it out!
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    2exni42.jpg

It's supposed to be for rated T and up though not all ages. They should've changed the rating to rated E if that's what they wanted to do. I'd have no reason to bother with sims 5 if it looked like that XD.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    2exni42.jpg

Am I a sick person for saying that actually appeals to me?

If you sold it to me as 'The Ville' I might have actually grabbed it for $5 to try it out!

Except, under EA, they'd probably charge $60 for that mess.

@nickibitsward
    Dude, I'm pretty sure the grass looks better in map view here than it does in actual live mode for TS4..

• Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,624 Member
    Voeille wrote: »
    I miss bed cuddling too... awake and asleep. It was nice to see a married couple cuddle after sleeping with eachother for a while. you can feel the connection.

Cuddling in TS2 is amazing, it really does make the impression that sims love each other and want to stay close.

TqNP72n.png

I also like that sometimes when a sim is sitting and some other sim walks next to them they look at that sim and smile, it shows that they’re aware of someone’s presence instead of ignoring them, and it isn’t as ‘aggressive’ as trying to talk with them for the whole day ignoring everything else.

I didn't know you could do this in TS2. Which EP did this come with?
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Voeille wrote: »
    I miss bed cuddling too... awake and asleep. It was nice to see a married couple cuddle after sleeping with eachother for a while. you can feel the connection.

Cuddling in TS2 is amazing, it really does make the impression that sims love each other and want to stay close.

TqNP72n.png

I also like that sometimes when a sim is sitting and some other sim walks next to them they look at that sim and smile, it shows that they’re aware of someone’s presence instead of ignoring them, and it isn’t as ‘aggressive’ as trying to talk with them for the whole day ignoring everything else.

I didn't know you could do this in TS2. Which EP did this come with?

Base game. They did it naturally.