May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Is a Child's Game

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Alright just wanted to throw it out there just in case haha :) Yes, it'd be cool to have both (sliders + TS4 editing tools) together. <3
  • Options
    StarbucksLover05StarbucksLover05 Posts: 87 Member
    @SimTrippy Glad to know that you feel the same way! :) I think that maybe their could be an option in the setting that turns off "child mode". It would add in more mature romantic interactions (Taking interactions from previous games, possibly?). And you could turn it back on at any time. But at the same time, that wouldn't be a good idea, because we know that all of the 8 year old boys and girls would turn it off because "They want to learn how babies are made" or something along those lines. Honestly, I have no right to talk. I know that even if I were young, I'd still try to turn it off.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Haha yes they probably would :) Though like someone else has said earlier, I too played TS1 and 2 when I was still a kid and it honestly never really occurred to me how 'steamy' it was at all. But then again, I probably didn't make my sims woohoo quite as much when I was that age as I do now ^^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    edited August 2016
    The interface has made it very hard to mod some of these aspects.

The pretty hand-drawn trait panel in CAS, and the fact that it's hard-coded to three traits, prevents you from breaking their trait limit. Maxis: "But too many traits means you can't see their effect!" Of course, the emotions they worked so hard on are the real star.

The elegant touch-oriented push-and-pull-on-the-Sim sliders prevent you from seeing the exact values or adding more sliders.

When I gave TS4 a second try in spring I did have a mod allowing more traits; however, I had to add extra traits with a cheat, because as you said it’s impossible to increase the CAS limit. That’s a thing I can put up with but the lack of possibility to add custom sliders was one of my numerous disappointments with the game.
    Incidentally, I think their statement about having only 3 traits is invalid – we can’t see the effect of them anyway because they’re overridden by emotions (which are a great feature in my opinion, I don’t need RPG buffs in The Sims).
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Starbucks, I should have added something that annoyed me when I played was the "drop and do pushups" thing. Where did that come from?

its military trait I believe.
  • Options
    In My opinion if a child is saying that any of the Sims games are childish, then ya there is a problem, cause then that tells Me that they are way more serious then they should be, I for one know that being too serious is a downfall, cause I did not really have a childhood I had 2 siblings I had to take care of from when I was age 10 and up, so being a Kid was not in My future, they are suppose to play and have fun, joke with friends and enjoy being a Kid, I happen to think the Sims franchise is Fun, and they helped Me enjoy many aspects of family life, that I did not get to do as a Kid, that is how I feel bout it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Erpe wrote: »
    The target gamers for this game are clearly impatient 12 to 15 yrs olds. So the humor, the new fast changing emotions, the game's low minimum requirements, the partying and the extremely low difficulty degree are all in the game for that reason. The dumped down family play is there also only because adult simmers don't matter very much for EA because they aren't in the target group anyway. You can like it or not. But we can't do anything about it. People still don't seem to accept that and they still often become angry here. But EA hasn't changed the game for that reason and probably never will ;)

Can't help but wonder what all these 12 to 15 year olds are playing the game on and where they're getting the money from to buy content for it, though.

From their Parents of course, or Guardians as well, whichever the case may be.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Forest_Ninja I'm 6 inches taller than my mother
    My son (16) is shorter than his father and chances are it will stay that way; granddaddy's genes apparently. For me it will never be an excuse for the lazy 'teens in the game are the same size as adults' phenomenon.

Both my kids (14 and 25) are taller than me. TBH that isn't hard to do, I'm short. But they take after hubby's side, he's not much taller than I am, but his mother is. She's taller than any of us.

And I would've agreed that it would be nice to have some work done on teens, before they turned loose all the rampant bugs. Now I just wish they'd fix this game's problems. Glitter is optional. (IMO)
    I've given up on Sims 4 concerning things like that to be honest, the game is what it is and I'm trying to enjoy what is has, not what it doesn't have. For a future Sims game though, I'd love them to take some things seriously again.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    In My opinion if a child is saying that any of the Sims games are childish, then ya there is a problem, cause then that tells Me that they are way more serious then they should be, I for one know that being too serious is a downfall, cause I did not really have a childhood I had 2 siblings I had to take care of from when I was age 10 and up, so being a Kid was not in My future, they are suppose to play and have fun, joke with friends and enjoy being a Kid, I happen to think the Sims franchise is Fun, and they helped Me enjoy many aspects of family life, that I did not get to do as a Kid, that is how I feel bout it.
    I don't think anyone is having issues with this game being funny, or quirky, or even childish at times. Besides, the opposite of childish isn't necessarily serious, and fun(ny) isn't necessarily a synonym for childish.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is having issues with this game being funny, or quirky, or even childish at times. Besides, the opposite of childish isn't necessarily serious, and fun(ny) isn't necessarily a synonym for childish.

I do not recall saying Funny, I did say the game was Fun, and yes a player above in this post had claimed that their children thought the Sims 4 was childish, which I do not think it is, I think you need to read more of the Posts, to understand better what was said, but thank you for your opinion, much appreciated.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Forest_Ninja I'm 6 inches taller than my mother
    My son (16) is shorter than his father and chances are it will stay that way; granddaddy's genes apparently. For me it will never be an excuse for the lazy 'teens in the game are the same size as adults' phenomenon.

Both my kids (14 and 25) are taller than me. TBH that isn't hard to do, I'm short. But they take after hubby's side, he's not much taller than I am, but his mother is. She's taller than any of us.

And I would've agreed that it would be nice to have some work done on teens, before they turned loose all the rampant bugs. Now I just wish they'd fix this game's problems. Glitter is optional. (IMO)
    I've given up on Sims 4 concerning things like that to be honest, the game is what it is and I'm trying to enjoy what is has, not what it doesn't have. For a future Sims game though, I'd love them to take some things seriously again.

Yes I have suggested that a future Sims game takes a more gritty approach and try to make the game feel mature without being exclusively dark while good humour can still be thrown in.

Pink trees and green fields all look very nice, but where is the realism?

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited August 2016

It's great that The Sims has helped you to experience a part of life that you were unable to, but I don't see how a child is too serious if he or she finds the game childish. If a child is, let's say between the ages of ten and fourteen and finds the game to be childish, that doesn't mean the child is too serious. Kids generally do want to have fun, but they also don't want to seen or heard playing games, watching shows, or listening to music that kids younger than them typically enjoy either.

TS4 is so bright, shiny, and colorful that it seems to resemble The Lorax movie (which is aimed at kids) at times to me. It's part of the reason why I found it cringe worthy when Graham and Ryan did that let's play or when I saw adult players doing let's play on Youtube and Twitch. Also, things like angry poops, pee walks, and peeing like a champion don't help the game either. I would feel embarrassed to tell my friends that I played this game if I was thirteen again., and I was far from being serious. Even as an adult now, I would still be embarrassed to admit to playing TS4. Now if TS4 looked like the way this person used Reshade to do, the game wouldn't feel as childish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBHxwcx78YA

Although my friends and family playfully teased me at times, I never felt that TS2 and TS3 were childish. Or if they were, TS4 broke that glass ceiling of childishness and took it to a whole new level.
  • Options
    I don't bother with the angry poo and such, I just take My creations, and have them go through Family Life as I want them to be, but for Me they have to be Gothic type, I play the Vamps, Werewolves and such, more then I do the regular characters, But maybe that is the difference for My game play too others, :).
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member

It's great that The Sims has helped you to experience a part of life that you were unable to, but I don't see how a child is too serious if he or she finds the game childish. If a child is, let's say between the ages of ten and fourteen and finds the game to be childish, that doesn't mean the child is too serious. Kids generally do want to have fun, but they also don't want to seen or heard playing games, watching shows, or listening to music that kids younger than them typically enjoy either.

TS4 is so bright, shiny, and colorful that it seems to resemble The Lorax movie (which is aimed at kids) at times to me. It's part of the reason why I found it cringe worthy when Graham and Ryan did that let's play or when I saw adult players doing let's play on Youtube and Twitch. Also, things like angry poops, pee walks, and peeing like a champion don't help the game either. I would feel embarrassed to tell my friends that I played this game if I was thirteen again., and I was far from being serious. Even as an adult now, I would still be embarrassed to admit to playing TS4. Now if TS4 looked like the way this person used Reshade to do, the game wouldn't feel as childish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBHxwcx78YA

Although my friends and family playfully teased me at times, I never felt that TS2 and TS3 were childish. Or if they were, TS4 broke that glass ceiling of childishness and took it to a whole new level.

So if this game is really embarrassing to you, why you still play it then? :wink: Lol

• Options
    GucciGucci Posts: 12 New Member
    If it's "childish" then you're obviously not playing it right.
  • Options
    Gucci wrote: »

I agree 100% thanks, :)
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited August 2016
    Deleted
    Post edited by Simsister2004 on
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    The target gamers for this game are clearly impatient 12 to 15 yrs olds. So the humor, the new fast changing emotions, the game's low minimum requirements, the partying and the extremely low difficulty degree are all in the game for that reason. The dumped down family play is there also only because adult simmers don't matter very much for EA because they aren't in the target group anyway. You can like it or not. But we can't do anything about it. People still don't seem to accept that and they still often become angry here. But EA hasn't changed the game for that reason and probably never will ;)

Can't help but wonder what all these 12 to 15 year olds are playing the game on and where they're getting the money from to buy content for it, though.

I don't know maybe their parents give em money? 🐸🐸🐸🐸 I don't know.
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited August 2016
    So if this game is really embarrassing to you, why you still play it then? :wink: Lol

I don't own TS4. I played the free trial and that was that. However, I could stop at Best Buy right now and pick up the base game for fifteen bucks with my rewards I've racked up. Instead, I play TS2 and TS3 which are aging. I want a new experience which TS4 is not providing.

I remember some Sims 3 players complaining about the game lagging humour. What some of us consider humour could be what other players consider "childish". I still love the humour, all the little funny sentences and sims' hilarious face making. And I agree with ricardouga: "So if this game is really embarrassing to you, why you still play it then?"

This is the issue

• Options

It'd be cool if you hit me with a like. I'm trying to get my icon up. Lol
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited August 2016

Exactly my words. Many players think that The Sims 4 is just like the versions before and should also provide them with the same features, which it doesn't. Already before we had the game on our hands, the EA Game's staff told us, that we should prepare for a whole new way of playing the Sims. That's what I adore. We have so many playing possibilities, we just need to do more on our own.

Post edited by Simsister2004 on
  • Options

How bout a Awesome, :).
  • Options

I do not recall saying Funny, I did say the game was Fun, and yes a player above in this post had claimed that their children thought the Sims 4 was childish, which I do not think it is, I think you need to read more of the Posts, to understand better what was said, but thank you for your opinion, much appreciated.
    No, you said fun, so I said fun. And added 'ny' myself, because as it happens both fun and funny aren't necessarily synonyms for childish. This was a reaction to your concerns about a child that finds a game too childish because there supposedly'd be a link between that and being serious. More serious than that child should be even, in danger of skipping their childhood.

I don't think kids are in danger here however, just because they don't like angry poops and silly walks and characters climbing in bed covering themselves under their sheets whenever they're sad. You can perfectly well be a happy and playful child when you don't find things like that amusing.
    (I never feel obliged to read all comments in a topic but in this particular case it might very well be possible I have, so that has nothing to do with anything)(and thanks for allowing me my opinion but isn't that the principle of a forum?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    How on earth does one play a game 'wrong'?
    5JZ57S6.png