Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why not toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I was actually thinking that the Kids Stuff was a step in the right direction for those who want more family stuff and I don't doubt for a second that the idea came about due to the feedback about the lack of so I actually do think the devs are listening in some areas :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2016
    I was actually thinking that the Kids Stuff was a step in the right direction for those who want more family stuff and I don't doubt for a second that the idea came about due to the feedback about the lack of so I actually do think the devs are listening in some areas :smile:

Yes, but it's a good idea and a good step. It looks fun if you play kids in the game. Kids in this game can always use more of their own objects instead of just mixing them in with adults to use the spa and get a mud bath and or the hot tub. I probably can't say what is conjectured up in my head when I see my little kid in the game request to go to the spa...I'm thinking mini me, laid back in a hot tub, wine in one hand and cigar in the other making business deals, and flirty with older women. lol like that kid/baby on Family Guy.

But they can talk about they aren't working on pets and have said so in tweets so how come they can't say no we aren't working on the toddler life stage? It makes anyone just stair at such things in total disbelief of the lack of communication they show. (on the toddler subject)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited June 2016
    Neia wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Cinebar
    I don't think coming up with ideas is what matters the most, like you said, there isn't a shortage of ideas and the devs probably have enough with the most recent Toddler thread ideas alone to keep them busy all their lifetime. What matters is telling them what is most important for us about toddlers, what we are looking for about them, would we like aspirations/checklists based gameplay for them, should they have traits and why, are we expecting them to appear on community lots, what was fun about them in the previous version, what wasn't.

It's not about drawing them a picture of what we want, it's telling them the why we are drawing that.

You know what at this point it sounds like we have to supply a therapist to explain to some and Maxis why we want toddlers. I have no idea why I want them other than I have maternal instincts, I like babies and toddlers, even when they are screaming. I like playing entire families from cradle to grave, and even rowdy teens, and fool hearty young adults, and aging, frail elders. I don't want to explain why, put me on the couch and figure it out.

ETA: And by that token I didn't see anyone saying explain why you want teens in the game or elders. What was it you liked or didn't like. So, why does anyone have to jump those hoops to explain what and why they want anything. Get real.

You misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about why you want toddlers generally speaking in your game, but why you are suggesting this or that ideas for the toddler life stage, why do you think this or that interaction or objects you're suggesting would improve the game. There could be more discussion about toddlers gameplay (personnality, emotions, aspirations, learning of the three base skills, interactions) for example or about what we want from a toddler life stage (bonding, learning, early personality, challenge, parent dependence, a bridge between baby and children, etc). Most suggestions are about objects, interactions or clothes, not that much about what it would be like to actually play the toddler and what they would do.

The point I made earlier about drawing a picture applies in reply to this. Because as I said we have already had those discussion on TS3 during it's five year reign, during the announcement toddlers were not going to be in the game and all over this forum. It's not like we haven't already done it. It brought zero results and why I said people get tired of repeating it. In the end they start to say toddlers and nothing else. Because the finer points have already been laid out for years and especially here which all those discussions are long gone from back in 2014 and deleted. ETA: And there is the largest thread on this forum anywhere about family play...if they ignored it, it's on them. It's them that let it grow so big they would have to wade through off topic subjects in that thread to reread what has already been stated over and over in TS3's Idea forum and on this forum and that thread for almost three years.

Not everybody was there during TS3 though, and we didn't have TS4 gameplay in mind either, so I think discussing toddler gameplay could still be interesting.

No excuses. SimGuruLyndsay was the creative director of TS3 and of TS4, everything goes through her, then it went up to Rachel Franklin in this game. She has, had control over what's in and what's not. She is now in Rachel's position. I think there is no excuse for talking to fans if they even really explored it and what they found out or not. It doesn't matter which developer wasn't there, it matters the same creative director was there for both these games and headed both these games.

Not everybody among the players, sorry for the confusion

@Neia what exactly are you talking you want ideas for toddlers or something else I'm confused?
  • Options
    @Cinebar oh yes I remember players weren't happy about kids going in the hot tub lol

As for them not wanting to talk about toddlers, I think they are too afraid too after the backlash when the portrait was 'leaked' on Twitter.

Toddlers are 'high risk' as one player put it
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    @Cinebar
    I don't think coming up with ideas is what matters the most, like you said, there isn't a shortage of ideas and the devs probably have enough with the most recent Toddler thread ideas alone to keep them busy all their lifetime. What matters is telling them what is most important for us about toddlers, what we are looking for about them, would we like aspirations/checklists based gameplay for them, should they have traits and why, are we expecting them to appear on community lots, what was fun about them in the previous version, what wasn't.

It's not about drawing them a picture of what we want, it's telling them the why we are drawing that.

You know what at this point it sounds like we have to supply a therapist to explain to some and Maxis why we want toddlers. I have no idea why I want them other than I have maternal instincts, I like babies and toddlers, even when they are screaming. I like playing entire families from cradle to grave, and even rowdy teens, and fool hearty young adults, and aging, frail elders. I don't want to explain why, put me on the couch and figure it out.

ETA: And by that token I didn't see anyone saying explain why you want teens in the game or elders. What was it you liked or didn't like. So, why does anyone have to jump those hoops to explain what and why they want anything. Get real.

You misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about why you want toddlers generally speaking in your game, but why you are suggesting this or that ideas for the toddler life stage, why do you think this or that interaction or objects you're suggesting would improve the game. There could be more discussion about toddlers gameplay (personnality, emotions, aspirations, learning of the three base skills, interactions) for example or about what we want from a toddler life stage (bonding, learning, early personality, challenge, parent dependence, a bridge between baby and children, etc). Most suggestions are about objects, interactions or clothes, not that much about what it would be like to actually play the toddler and what they would do.

The point I made earlier about drawing a picture applies in reply to this. Because as I said we have already had those discussion on TS3 during it's five year reign, during the announcement toddlers were not going to be in the game and all over this forum. It's not like we haven't already done it. It brought zero results and why I said people get tired of repeating it. In the end they start to say toddlers and nothing else. Because the finer points have already been laid out for years and especially here which all those discussions are long gone from back in 2014 and deleted. ETA: And there is the largest thread on this forum anywhere about family play...if they ignored it, it's on them. It's them that let it grow so big they would have to wade through off topic subjects in that thread to reread what has already been stated over and over in TS3's Idea forum and on this forum and that thread for almost three years.

Not everybody was there during TS3 though, and we didn't have TS4 gameplay in mind either, so I think discussing toddler gameplay could still be interesting.

No excuses. SimGuruLyndsay was the creative director of TS3 and of TS4, everything goes through her, then it went up to Rachel Franklin in this game. She has, had control over what's in and what's not. She is now in Rachel's position. I think there is no excuse for talking to fans if they even really explored it and what they found out or not. It doesn't matter which developer wasn't there, it matters the same creative director was there for both these games and headed both these games.

@Neia what exactly are you talking you want ideas for toddlers or something else I'm confused?

Ideas are fine, but I think there's some room for more discussion about what we expect from toddlers gameplay too, like what playing a toddler could be like, how would emotions or aspirations work for them, should they have traits, should there be bonus/malus, what should they learn and how, how much autonomy should they have, this sort of things. Cinebar apparently think all has already been said before on the subject, but I think it could still be interesting, now that we're more familiar with TS4 mechanism, and for the newscomers too.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Cinebar

Ideas are fine, but I think there's some room for more discussion about what we expect from toddlers gameplay too, like what playing a toddler could be like, how would emotions or aspirations work for them, should they have traits, should there be bonus/malus, what should they learn and how, how much autonomy should they have, this sort of things. Cinebar apparently think all has already been said before on the subject, but I think it could still be interesting, now that we're more familiar with TS4 mechanism, and for the newscomers too.

Thats true you should start a thread about that I totally like that Idea. I would there giving my ideas about aspirations and emotions.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Cinebar

Thats true you should start a thread about that I totally like that Idea. I would there giving my ideas about aspirations and emotions.

It doesn't need a separate thread - all of that has been and can still be discussed in the pinned topic in General Discussion.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    @Cinebar

It doesn't need a separate thread - all of that has been and can still be discussed in the pinned topic in General Discussion.

Will it get noticed through many other topics going on there? I mean what Neia said was awesome I mean yeah we want toddlers and all the ideas and stuff for toddlers what Neia is talking abour is emotions and goals etc..way more deeper than gameplay that's how I took it and I believe it will get noticed on it's own.
  • Options
    @Cinebar

Will it get noticed through many other topics going on there? I mean what Neia said was awesome I mean yeah we want toddlers and all the ideas and stuff for toddlers what Neia is talking abour is emotions and goals etc..way more deeper than gameplay that's how I took it and I believe it will get noticed on it's own.

Nothing about the toddler pinned thread says that it's only for lists of gameplay wishes, plus devs did pin it. I would think that it would be the best place to get your opinions on complex aspects of mechanics of toddlers seen by the people making the game - I've thought so ever since it got pinned. Why else would it be pinned? And there have indeed been other people talking about things like aspirations etc in that topic, though more of that might have been early on when it was newer.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Cinebar

@Neia have you actually read the ideas for toddler thread? Those are exactly the issues discussed. So it's not like it doesn't exist. People have put their heart and soul into giving their take in depth on these issues. Ideas for compromises too. All sorts!
  • Options
    PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member
    @Cinebar

@Neia have you actually read the ideas for toddler thread? Those are exactly the issues discussed. So it's not like it doesn't exist. People have put their heart and soul into giving their take in depth on these issues. Ideas for compromises too. All sorts!

Exactly.
    Why stare what already has been stated? Especially to those that have made their minds up already? To me, this seems like a derailing tactic disguised as a suggestion, because the gameplay for toddlers has been discussed time and time again.
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited July 2016
    @Cinebar

Yes I've read it, and commented in it too. And there were more ideas about new objects and cute pictures of plenty of neat things, and less so about gameplay in my mind, and what matters the most about toddlers for each of us.

I'm just saying I think there're still things to discuss about toddlers :/
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited July 2016
    it's not like after two years of TS4 & two iterations with toddlers & the everyday presence of toddlers IRL would need any further evaluation about them
    the devs' team pretty well knows that players want toddlers, they have their reasons why toddlers are not in the game

my opinion is that there won't be any toddlers in TS4 - ever
    this game is just not popular enough to pay for their development
    & it has already without them enough bugs

we have meantime even babies taken away during rotational gameplay
    now imagine the tragedy when toddlers would be around, families would be played far more often & toddlers would be taken away because the player was busy with another family & the game by not having story progression just doesn't care for sims dependend on their parents, decides for the player how it has to be played & just removes unplayed toddlers

the devs have developed this game with the hope that it is entertaining enough to play without families, without real lives, without real towns, without rotational gameplay & without toddlers
    i think this hope has proved as being erroneous
    but the gameplay is set, i doubt it very much there is enough willingness, commitment & money to improve this game to an enjoyable for all status
    & many players liking this game do so only because they use mods which prevent the actually coded gameplay to act out

every player playing without hard core mods will be shocked how this game treats sims - as interchangeable & exchangeable objects

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    monon0kemonon0ke Posts: 144 Member
    When i play sims I'm generally all about families. I do however play expansions individually when they come out but i always resort to making an adorable little family with all their different little quirks. So for me personally i really miss toddlers, i miss teaching them how to eventually walk and talk, their little vulnerable stage. (did not word that right but I'm gonna move on).

I'm just not for the idea of having my baby in that bed for a few days to then turn into a child. i can not express how much i don't like it. can they at least make the babies leave their beds? if they can do that for us then ill settle for the "no toddlers". but until either happen I'm not a huge fan of making big families because i can't personalise my kids as much as i used to. (no hate this is how i feel)
    tumblr_o7ljq7l45_Y1qet0cro1_500.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2016
    monon0ke wrote: »
    When i play sims I'm generally all about families. I do however play expansions individually when they come out but i always resort to making an adorable little family with all their different little quirks. So for me personally i really miss toddlers, i miss teaching them how to eventually walk and talk, their little vulnerable stage. (did not word that right but I'm gonna move on).

I'm just not for the idea of having my baby in that bed for a few days to then turn into a child. i can not express how much i don't like it. can they at least make the babies leave their beds? if they can do that for us then ill settle for the "no toddlers". but until either happen I'm not a huge fan of making big families because i can't personalise my kids as much as i used to. (no hate this is how i feel)

As annoying at it was sometimes for a teen or other family member to go get the baby or toddler to help with birthday it made me think they care it's their birthday. I can't even get past the mother or dad is just standing there (usually with their back turned) so uninvolved with the aging up of the baby to a child. I guess I know why they can't even pick up the baby at that point to hold them during the change because this gigantic kid would be in their arms all of a sudden. Enough to give me nightmares.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I agree. I think toddlers should be a priority at this point. People have been begging for them for almost two years and we still haven't heard a peep about them.

So let's say they are working on toddlers right now, everyone is complaining about how bad they want them. So they throw their hands in the air and say FINE here are your toddlers. They did a halfa** job because people just couldn't wait, then people are ticked off because toddlers aren't how they wanted them to be, people are going to be unsatisfied with that, so they are most likely trying to make them the to be the best they can since they didn't include them in the first place. Also they've explained why they can't say anything about future content that isn't ready, it's in another thread that I'm too lazy to go look for.

They could still at least say they're working on them. That's just respect for their customers.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    @Cinebar oh yes I remember players weren't happy about kids going in the hot tub lol

As for them not wanting to talk about toddlers, I think they are too afraid too after the backlash when the portrait was 'leaked' on Twitter.

Backlash? I'm sorry I wasn't around to see that. Could you fill me in? I liked that leaked portrait. *shrug*
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I agree. I think toddlers should be a priority at this point. People have been begging for them for almost two years and we still haven't heard a peep about them.

So let's say they are working on toddlers right now, everyone is complaining about how bad they want them. So they throw their hands in the air and say FINE here are your toddlers. They did a halfa** job because people just couldn't wait, then people are ticked off because toddlers aren't how they wanted them to be, people are going to be unsatisfied with that, so they are most likely trying to make them the to be the best they can since they didn't include them in the first place. Also they've explained why they can't say anything about future content that isn't ready, it's in another thread that I'm too lazy to go look for.

They could still at least say they're working on them. That's just respect for their customers.

They can't say they're working on them unless they're going to release them the same quarter. Maybe if they are working on them, they'll get to a point where they can say so. But unfortunately, respect for consumers isn't the only thing that has to guide their choices - there are SEC regulations that EA follows that are impacting what can be said about anything that might include changes to already released content (base game etc.). I'm sure that if they are working on them, they'd love to say so!

I like the portrait too. It's adorable. I'd love toddlers that adorable in the game! And maybe some quarter we'll get to hear about them.
  • Options
    alexandrea wrote: »

Backlash? I'm sorry I wasn't around to see that. Could you fill me in? I liked that leaked portrait. *shrug*

What happened was some players went to the extremes and attacked the CEO's wife on Twitter or somewhere and it caused a scandal.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    EllieSimsterEllieSimster Posts: 31 Member
    IKR?! Like... OH I JUST HAD A BABY! OFF TO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL NOW! It doesn't make sense!
    Check out my YouTube channel! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmpzse5zaM
  • Options
    noxximsnoxxims Posts: 134 Member
    I do think toddlers would be adorable in the Sims 4 with the cartoon-y aesthetics, nothing like the fat faced little monsters in ts3. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's going to happen. It's not worth it for them.
    8aec0358-095a-4e29-a083-d49ed056a897_zps3awx8cce.jpg
  • Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    IKR?! Like... OH I JUST HAD A BABY! OFF TO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL NOW! It doesn't make sense!

Yeah. The Sims is okay if a baby jumps to age up. But it isn't okay if the baby jumps to go to elem school! how sad
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    noxxims wrote: »
    I do think toddlers would be adorable in the Sims 4 with the cartoon-y aesthetics, nothing like the fat faced little monsters in ts3. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's going to happen. It's not worth it for them.

don't be pessimistic
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    noxximsnoxxims Posts: 134 Member
    noxxims wrote: »

don't be pessimistic

I know it's not something people want to believe but people will buy what they release no matter what. I guess adding toddlers could entice people who are still playing previous versions of the sims because there are no toddlers to start playing ts4.
    8aec0358-095a-4e29-a083-d49ed056a897_zps3awx8cce.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    You know - no matter what great idea anyone - including Maxis devs come up with for this game - I just immediately or quickly lose interest because of the still missing toddler stage. I do not care if the new items or pack doesn't even remotely involve toddler stage - like for instance the new Kids pack - I just did not even buy it as I already have all the packs up until Dining Out - and even though they were fun for a couple hours - each time I was sadly brought back down to earth that when I stopped focusing on the new thing and went back to playing what for me was a normal game - the looming Big T is still missing from my game and in my play style no matter what is in the game - they are not there.

So it is becoming impossible for me to get immersed in anything new for the Sims 4 when my options to have my sims have toddlers is non-existant. I simply no longer can think outside the TODDLER BOX!!! anymore. The longer it goes on the worse it gets. I know when I actually liked the look of the Dine Out and kids stuff packs but could not even bring myself to buying them.

For someone who owns everything ever made for The Sims series (and pre-ordered when ever I could) - this is HUGE, and definitely not a small matter. I actually had the money to buy them both and just put it back in my pocket - then went over to Steam and bought some other games there instead. It is rather painful as I truly love the Sims games more than any other games ever made - and it has came to this - and yes over little toddlers.

It goes real deep for some of us, I guess.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....