Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The censorship needs to stop

Comments

• Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,206 Member
    edited June 2016
    From what I've seen today its not censorship, its removing inflammatory and ignorant comments that can seriously hurt people. Its easy to sit behind a screen and write comments that are extremely hurtful to others. Can you take responsibility for your words if they cause someone else to possibly harm themselves? Sorry to be dramatic, but its true and today has shown a very bad side of this community. EA wouldn't feel the need to remove the comments if people could post comments without insulting people. Some of you posting are adults, like myself, and should be able to post with a degree of conscience for not only members of the GLBTQ community, but also children who may be reading these comments. This is only a game, and all this hatred being spewed today has been absolutely astounding, frightening, and just plain sad. Then, after all the hateful comments the patch turns out to be entirely optional, and then people want to "apologize" for their actions. @BatmanFanGirl pretty much summed it up best, there is a right way to say something and a wrong way. Unfortunately, many people went about it the wrong way.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,422 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    You don't have to tolerate it. You can ignore it, but why should those people be silenced for having something forced upon them that they didn't want? I honestly think EA should've made two patches. One with the CAS changes plus the other updates, and one with just the updates. This whole debacle could've been avoided that way.

Also I get called a freak by my family all the time, even though they don't know they are calling me that, because I'm in a closed poly V marriage which means my husband isn't monogamous but I am. However, I don't get hurt that everyone doesn't understand my lifestyle. I just accept it as being their opinion and go on with my life.

Get over it. Simple as that. Your complaints are pathetic, and not worth listening to.

Get over what? Also I'm pretty sure what you just stated is against the TOS.

You're bellyaching for no reason - nothing is being forced on anyone. It is entirely optional. This is precisely what people want from this game - options.

The fact that you're here complaining about it despite it not affecting your game play in any way, shape or form reveals more about you than you'd care to admit.

So, get over it - as in to say, it isn't important, it doesn't affect you and you have no reason to complain. Okay? o:)

The angel face doesn't make your passive aggressive post any less insulting. It doesn't affect me, but I know it affects others and in the end I think everyone's feelings on this matter should be heard even if they aren't positive as long as they are presented in a non-hateful manner. But when you call people out for disliking the patch and stating their opinion on it in a respectful way, it only makes you look just as intolerant as the people you claim to be speaking out against.

I guess my real message here is, tolerance goes both ways, just like intolerance does. And I think that's something the community here needs to take a step back, breathe for a moment, and remember.

i have no problem with you expressing your opinion. The only thing that bothered me is that you brushed off the idea of people calling transgender freaks like it was okay. That is NOT okay anymore then it is to tell you that you are pathetic. So next time maybe think the way you say things.

Well I apologize if you took it that way as that was not my intention. I wasn't trying to brush it off but I guess because I have people constantly belittling me in my personal life for my personal decisions, I don't get as offended as easily now. Maybe that comes off as not caring when it shouldn't.
  • Options
    FluffusCanarusFluffusCanarus Posts: 103 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I think the problem is language. If someone said something like "I personally don't agree with...." or something similar I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's the accusations that go along with it all that's getting people riled up.

Yup, I agree. Like I've stated in multiple threads like these, it's the way people say things. When they include "freaks, disgusting, wrong, gross, etc" in their opinions, it's going to cause some problems. Then they wonder why everyone is attacking them? :D

Kinda makes me wonder if they do it on purpose....
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.- Coco Chanel
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Why should someone's beliefs and political views be forced upon me over something so frivolous as video game.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Maylee2Maylee2 Posts: 179 Member

Which is ironic because this patch is very controversial.

Not really. If your threads are going to produce hate then the gurus have every right to delete and ban you. If you have a problem with then leave.

It's going too if people cause controversies! It's ridiculous! Some controversies are jokes.
  • Options
    NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    Is anyone else having some serious deja vu back when TS4 was being released? :|
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member
    I see a lot of both sides of the issue that need to be removed... So many.

Attacking is on both sides. Can't stand on the high ground when you have to sling the mud back. :lol:

• Options
    lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member
    Maylee2 wrote: »

It's going too if people cause controversies! It's ridiculous! Some controversies are jokes.

lol, my mother use to say this. Everything has a potential to cause a controversy. Thankfully the gurus have made an optionally grid for people that want to use it.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member

I feel it also needs pointing out that there have been several ( or more than ) people who love the patch that have also been quite nasty to more than a couple of people who have said nothing more offensive than they didn't really want this patch in their game.
    Just that. No ugly words, no horrible names, only that they didn't like the patch - and they were called some nasty names by those who are grateful for the patch.

So lets not pretend that one group of people is all bright and shiny here, and the other is dripping with hate. There has been disgraceful behaviour all round from lots of people today.

If people post in a respectful manner they should definitely be responded to in a respectful manner.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    xtahwyashctibxtahwyashctib Posts: 39 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I think the problem is language. If someone said something like "I personally don't agree with...." or something similar I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's the accusations that go along with it all that's getting people riled up.

Yup, I agree. Like I've stated in multiple threads like these, it's the way people say things. When they include "freaks, disgusting, wrong, gross, etc" in their opinions, it's going to cause some problems. Then they wonder why everyone is attacking them? :D

Kinda makes me wonder if they do it on purpose....

Of course they do. One even announced they were doing it to get banned because they don't want to be on the forum anymore. Not okay.
  • Options

I feel it also needs pointing out that there have been several ( or more than ) people who love the patch that have also been quite nasty to more than a couple of people who have said nothing more offensive than they didn't really want this patch in their game.
    Just that. No ugly words, no horrible names, only that they didn't like the patch - and they were called some nasty names by those who are grateful for the patch.

So lets not pretend that one group of people is all bright and shiny here, and the other is dripping with hate. There has been disgraceful behaviour all round from lots of people today.

If people post in a respectful manner they should definitely be responded to in a respectful manner.

I respectfully disagree. :)

People should always reply back respectfully if they expect respect in the first place. While comments can be disrespectful, continuing the conversation with a disrespectful reply just because it was not in the manner expected will not move the conversation forward. -respectfully.. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pary wrote: »
    There has been disgraceful behaviour all round from lots of people today.

Very true, however I just want to add in my last two cents for the night.

I think the main reason there has been such a storm is because this patch involves self expression, gender identities and unisex clothing (dresses, etc). I know a lot of users on here are well on their way to middle age and still have some older generation ideologies, which is fine, but the problem begins when they refuse to open their minds. It's like saying "get with the times" except it's not just learning how to use a computer. It's being accepting that some people who are male like to wear dresses, or some females who want to wear suits.

And then we have those who feel strongly against these conservative simmers (and yes I agree the language could be much improved) they have every right to protest, I mean, it's a patch delivered out of self expression and involvement. Surely you can understand the reasoning behind people being a bit upset over those who disagree with these angry people.

I digress. This OPTIONAL patch lets myself and thousands of others create sims you can see in real life, because thankfully the world isn't as black and white as these angry conservative simmers want it to be (or so it seems). I'm only directing that at the ones who find transgender people disgusting which is an argument in itself but oh well.

Also, this attitude stems from their real life opinions. This isn't just in-game problems they're having, and that's another problem. The very rights, happiness and even lives are not debatable, nor disputable. I'm mainly talking out of my behind at this point. I hope I'm making some sense at least (I'm very tired). Good night everyone. All of this unecessary screaming has me catching Z's. :(

• Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    Well it's similar to the real world. We have freedom of speech (at least in my country), but that doesn't mean you are free from consequence. So feel free to say whatever you want, but I also have the right to not tolerate whatever you're saying.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

People should always reply back respectfully if they expect respect in the first place. While comments can be disrespectful, continuing the conversation with a disrespectful reply just because it was not in the manner expected will not move the conversation forward. -respectfully.. ;)

sorry maybe that came out wrong. I just meant it by people posting a comment why they don't like the update in a respectful way vs saying awful things should be treated in kind. I didn't mean to say that people say a bunch of disrespectful things back if they were rude which doesn't solve anything. I think if you look at my replies to those posts I wasn't being disrespectful back to any of them. Although some of them were really awful and upsetting.

Sorry for the confusion Rlong although I think we've seen each other around the forms enough to know I wouldn't be rude. :)
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Noogster wrote: »

I think the main reason there has been such a storm is because this patch involves self expression, gender identities and unisex clothing (dresses, etc). I know a lot of users on here are well on their way to middle age and still have some older generation ideologies, which is fine, but the problem begins when they refuse to open their minds. It's like saying "get with the times" except it's not just learning how to use a computer. It's being accepting that some people who are male like to wear dresses, or some females who want to wear suits.

And then we have those who feel strongly against these conservative simmers (and yes I agree the language could be much improved) they have every right to protest, I mean, it's a patch delivered out of self expression and involvement. Surely you can understand the reasoning behind people being a bit upset over those who disagree with these angry people.

I'm mainly talking out of my behind, I hope I'm making some sense at least (I'm very tired).

Actually your entire speech belittles others and is offensive.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Well it's similar to the real world. We have freedom of speech (at least in my country), but that doesn't mean you are free from consequence. So feel free to say whatever you want, but I also have the right to not tolerate whatever you're saying.

Hi :)

Does not tolerating something mean you will ignore it? We have no rights here that EA doesn't give... so, while we would love to think we do, we do not. :)

It's more fun that way for some- seeing if we can sneak our snarky comments through the EA filter. :lol:
  • Options
    xtahwyashctibxtahwyashctib Posts: 39 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I'm mainly talking out of my behind, I hope I'm making some sense at least (I'm very tired).

I don't see them belittling anyone at all. I think they worded it very well.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2016

I'm not talking about some of the "angry" people, or some of the disgusting remarks I've seen in some threads, one or two of which are still going.
    For instance, one post I read was nothing more than "I hope this patch is optional, I don't want to play with this in my game"
    This person was then called a bigot, intolerant, and other names. For nothing more than voicing that opinion that didn't make fun of, or belittle anyone's right to expression at all. What about that person's right to protest? Or voice their opinion? Did they deserve to be called those names simply for expressing their own thoughts?
    The three threads that I saw this kind of behaviour happening in have since been deleted, but no... despite the "reasoning" behind people being a bit upset, no one gets a free pass to behave like that, whether they agree with the patch or not.

Edit - P.S - for the record, I am forty years old, which some people might consider "middle aged" and I think this patch is awesome. I don't even play the game, or like it, but I still think its a really good addition.

I don't think age is always a defining factor in such behaviour.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    edited June 2016

Hi :)

Does not tolerating something mean you will ignore it? We have no rights here that EA doesn't give... so, while we would love to think we do, we do not. :)

It's more fun that way for some- seeing if we can sneak our snarky comments through the EA filter. :lol:
    No I mean that if you're at work and you say something offensive, the consequence can sometimes end up in firing. You can say what you want, but you can't expect others to tolerate it, especially if it's hate speech.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Cinebar, I still don't know whose side you're on. I had not belittled anyone in my post. I haven't said anything that isn't evident in some of the threads that have been closed by SimGuruDrake because of the amount of toxic stuff being tossed around.

@xtahwyashctib Thank you. :) I'm half awake so I was just concerned if I did say anything offensive.

Good night and take care everyone!

• Options

sorry maybe that came out wrong. I just meant it by people posting a comment why they don't like the update in a respectful way vs saying awful things should be treated in kind. I didn't mean to say that people say a bunch of disrespectful things back if they were rude which doesn't solve anything. I think if you look at my replies to those posts I wasn't being disrespectful back to any of them. Although some of them were really awful and upsetting.

Sorry for the confusion Rlong although I think we've seen each other around the forms enough to know I wouldn't be rude. :)

We should all be allowed our off days and sometimes, allowed to be upset or surprised and not always expected to word things precisely to not offend. :)

I wasn't offend, by the way. Just disagreeing a bit. :)

@Noogster wrote: »

I digress. This OPTIONAL patch lets myself and thousands of others create sims you can see in real life, because thankfully the world isn't as black and white as these angry conservative simmers want it to be (or so it seems). I'm only directing that at the ones who find transgender people disgusting which is an argument in itself but oh well.

Also, this attitude stems from their real life opinions. This isn't just in-game problems they're having, and that's another problem. The very rights, happiness and even lives are not debatable, nor disputable. I'm mainly talking out of my behind at this point. I hope I'm making some sense at least (I'm very tired). Good night everyone. All of this unecessary screaming has me catching Z's. :(

Please take this with all due respect- But- Freaking Hahahahahahaaaa! Please, don't think because someone maybe middle aged that they aren't "with the times." Those middle aged... us middle aged ones are just as if not more than what you expect or seem to think we are.

People, young/old/middle aged- all have their own opinions and experiences from which to draw them. Age doesn't make one narrow minded. :lol:

Hahahahaaa- oh, that was good. :cookie:
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I would say I'm sorry but actually this needs to be made clear. Not all of us are old and can't get with the times. That is the analogy here. It isn't what is actually happening and being of a different generation I find it a fickle idea that's the problem of why we all can't get along.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,422 Member

I'm not talking about some of the "angry" people, or some of the disgusting remarks I've seen in some threads, one or two of which are still going.
    For instance, one post I read was nothing more than "I hope this patch is optional, I don't want to play with this in my game"
    This person was then called a bigot, intolerant, and other names. For nothing more than voicing that opinion that didn't make fun of, or belittle anyone's right to expression at all. What about that person's right to protest? Or voice their opinion? Did they deserve to be called those names simply for expressing their own thoughts?
    The three threads that I saw this kind of behaviour happening in have since been deleted, but no... despite the "reasoning" behind people being a bit upset, no one gets a free pass to behave like that, whether they agree with the patch or not.

This is why I said intolerance goes both ways, just like tolerance does. Hatred can come from both sides, but if people could learn to talk like civilized people then things don't have to be that way. People are free to have their own opinions, I mean if they didn't life would be quite boring to be honest. But there is a way to handle things, and the way things have been handled on this forum today has been pretty shameful for both sides of the argument for and against this patch.

The sandbox is big, there is enough room for everyone to play the way they want (or at least can with what we've been given by EA so far).
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,781 Member
    All thishate talk makes me think of this scene from Hunckback (and I'm only to those haters who can't be respectful that there are transgender folks on this site who want to make their real selves)
    tumblr_nw0l9msZXQ1rynvieo1_500.gif
    6adMCGP.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top