Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The censorship needs to stop

Comments

• Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited June 2016
    @ the OP, Censorship only occurs when the forum terms of service are violated. I haven't seen a thread closed this evening that didn't involve someone violating the ToS (usually by making things personal). We all agreed to those terms when we signed up, so whether you like them or not, they're the law of the land within this forum. Keep it civil, on topic, and focused on features (not people), and you can pretty much say whatever you want.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    edited June 2016
    [ignore this post]

• Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member

And why exactly do they need to be called to this thread? Is it because people are discussing their varying beliefs on a subject in a polite manner? Or the fact that I'm encouraging people to be tolerant of everyone and not bash someone or use hateful speech when stating their opinion? I'm curious.

This is becoming a flame war.

Can you point out the flame war to me, because it looks like everyone is being perfectly respectful as far as I can tell. Some of us have even been able to sort out misunderstandings and give out apologies for being somewhat unthoughtful with our words.

Very true. :)
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    There is a difference between constructive criticism and rude criticism. The only people at risk of being punished for their posts are the ones who leave rude criticism.

There's a difference between saying that you don't like the update because you didn't want it (stated politely) and wish they handled it better and saying that the update is horrible because of some prejudice.
  • Options
    lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member
    Can you point out the flame war to me, because it looks like everyone is being perfectly respectful as far as I can tell. Some of us have even been able to sort out misunderstandings and give out apologies for being somewhat unthoughtful with our words.

The one above. It's not respectful at all
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I agree with the censorship issues but what can we do? A lot of lifestyles are acceptable to talk about here and my religious one isnt. Because its controversial? So is this update and many threads here. But I adhere to the rules and respect them. Is it unfair? Yes. But for me to enjoy this website and communicate I have to abide by the rules they have set. There are other websites that allow me to discuss my religion/beliefs but this isnt one of them. There has to be some sort of standards set otherwise the threads will be out of control because of hateful speech. There has been disrespectful talk from both sides of the update, disrespectful talk from both sides of censorship. If disrespectful speech would cease alltogether a lot of forum rules wouldn't even exist. All we can do is try to abide by the rules and respect everyones opinions, not just your own.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Yes, what a shame, I thought this thread had reached a turning point with people discussing things respectfully and rationally.
    No reason to come barging in a demand its closure.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    @SimGuruDrake , please set the record straight on this "censorship" debate? :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,419 Member

The one above. It's not respectful at all

Erm, which one? Sorry this thread is kind of moving fast, so I'm losing track of the order of people's comments.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    CandyCadet wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Noogster wrote: »
    Pary wrote: »
    There has been disgraceful behaviour all round from lots of people today.

Very true, however I just want to add in my last two cents for the night.

I think the main reason there has been such a storm is because this patch involves self expression, gender identities and unisex clothing (dresses, etc). I know a lot of users on here are well on their way to middle age and still have some older generation ideologies, which is fine, but the problem begins when they refuse to open their minds. It's like saying "get with the times" except it's not just learning how to use a computer. It's being accepting that some people who are male like to wear dresses, or some females who want to wear suits.

And then we have those who feel strongly against these conservative simmers (and yes I agree the language could be much improved) they have every right to protest, I mean, it's a patch delivered out of self expression and involvement. Surely you can understand the reasoning behind people being a bit upset over those who disagree with these angry people.

I'm mainly talking out of my behind, I hope I'm making some sense at least (I'm very tired).

Actually your entire speech belittles others and is offensive.

I don't see them belittling anyone at all. I think they worded it very well.

I would say I'm sorry but actually this needs to be made clear. Not all of us are old and can't get with the times. That is the analogy here. It isn't what is actually happening and being of a different generation I find it a fickle idea that's the problem of why we all can't get along.

But it's a fact that the older generations are not nearly as progressive and accepting as younger generations. It's been like that throughout all of history lol. I haven't seen anyone call you old, or belittle anyone for being old. What I have seen is people saying being trans is a mental illness, and comparing this update to adding an update with terminal diseases.

Oh, Goodness... A Fact? A fact... :lol: Hahahaaaa

Any PERSON has their own predilections and their own thoughts about everything. To think a teen is more progressive because they're young... that's so- Oh, I don't know- narrow minded.

Being called closed minded because of age is insulting- if I were so inclined to be insulted- which I'm not. I find it so funny that you all believe it's only older people who are = not with the times. :lol:

Some will say things, yes. Not because of age but because of their predilections. :)

Actually that does have merit of truth there. I worked in geriatrics while I was working on my degree. The views of older generations is rather different than the younger ones. That don't mean older generations have the right to feel that their system of beliefs is the only correct one though. Same goes with younger generations.

Now middle age is Geriatrics? :(
    You crushed me. :faints:

... wait, I am past middle age. :lol:

@Rflong7 LOL no it isn't by far. Just used that to point out that different generations do have very different views on various things. Times have been different for each generation thus resulting in many different way to look at things. Either right, wrong or indifferent. I am sure if I were to go back into geriatric care their views on things would be GREATLY different than it was 20 years ago.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Erm, which one? Sorry this thread is kind of moving fast, so I'm losing track of the order of people's comments.

Don't apologize, it was going pretty fast! It stopped now, but it was on the last page. The comments+emojis at the started to sound very condescending and well not polite lol. But like i said, it has thankfully stopped now
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I think the main reason there has been such a storm is because this patch involves self expression, gender identities and unisex clothing (dresses, etc). I know a lot of users on here are well on their way to middle age and still have some older generation ideologies, which is fine, but the problem begins when they refuse to open their minds. It's like saying "get with the times" except it's not just learning how to use a computer. It's being accepting that some people who are male like to wear dresses, or some females who want to wear suits.

And then we have those who feel strongly against these conservative simmers (and yes I agree the language could be much improved) they have every right to protest, I mean, it's a patch delivered out of self expression and involvement. Surely you can understand the reasoning behind people being a bit upset over those who disagree with these angry people.

I'm mainly talking out of my behind, I hope I'm making some sense at least (I'm very tired).

I would say I'm sorry but actually this needs to be made clear. Not all of us are old and can't get with the times. That is the analogy here. It isn't what is actually happening and being of a different generation I find it a fickle idea that's the problem of why we all can't get along.

But it's a fact that the older generations are not nearly as progressive and accepting as younger generations. It's been like that throughout all of history lol. I haven't seen anyone call you old, or belittle anyone for being old. What I have seen is people saying being trans is a mental illness, and comparing this update to adding an update with terminal diseases.

Any PERSON has their own predilections and their own thoughts about everything. To think a teen is more progressive because they're young... that's so- Oh, I don't know- narrow minded.

Being called closed minded because of age is insulting- if I were so inclined to be insulted- which I'm not. I find it so funny that you all believe it's only older people who are = not with the times. :lol:

Some will say things, yes. Not because of age but because of their predilections. :)

Actually that does have merit of truth there. I worked in geriatrics while I was working on my degree. The views of older generations is rather different than the younger ones. That don't mean older generations have the right to feel that their system of beliefs is the only correct one though. Same goes with younger generations.

@Rflong7 LOL no it isn't by far. Just used that to point out that different generations do have very different views on various things. Times have been different for each generation thus resulting in many different way to look at things. Either right, wrong or indifferent. I am sure if I were to go back into geriatric care their views on things would be GREATLY different than it was 20 years ago.

You young kids think you have a handle on cool don't you. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    OMGoodness? You're saying I'm the one who's being disrespectful?

hahahahaaa.... <- That is a genuine laugh. :lol:
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,419 Member
    edited June 2016

Don't apologize, it was going pretty fast! It stopped now, but it was on the last page. The comments+emojis at the started to sound very condescending and well not polite lol. But like i said, it has thankfully stopped now

Well hopefully we're past that, although I will admit we are getting off topic, lol. But I'm just happy everyone is getting along now. That's honestly what I think the forums should be. A place where all ideas can be shared and discussed in a respectful manner. I mean you never know but your comment could educate someone if said in the right way. I know I've learned a lot from some posters on here today with seeing their views on things and learning how I should rephrase my words to not offend or hurt someone intentionally.
  • Options
    NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    Can we please stop talking about old people and get back to the main point of the thread?
  • Options
    xtahwyashctibxtahwyashctib Posts: 39 Member
    Can we please stop talking about old people and get back to the main point of the thread?

LOL right? Completely derailing the thread.

Back on topic though, I'm glad to see the forums have...somewhat calmed down since before.
  • Options
    It was on topic... I didn't bring it, I enjoy the fun of it though. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Yes, well, I don't know how people determine that. You can't exactly "hear" a text emote and it's only someones interpretation of condescending.
    There are some people who clearly can't seem to help looking for that kind of thing where there actually isn't any.

I don't think the thread was too far off topic. It's about everyone being able to voice their opinions without threat of deletion. Even us "old people" have opinions :p

:D
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2016

Well hopefully we're past that, although I will admit we are getting off topic, lol. But I'm just happy everyone is getting along now. That's honestly what I think the forums should be. A place where all ideas can be shared and discussed in a respectful manner. I mean you never know but your comment could educate someone if said in the right way. I know I've learned a lot from some posters on here today with seeing their views on things and learning how I should rephrase my words to not offend or hurt someone unintentionally.

I definitely agree.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as they are respectful and don't force it down people's throats. :D

Everyone should listen to both sides, but it dies not mean that you have to change your opinion to theirs. All opinions are unique and everyone is entitled to it.

However, political and religious discussions/debates are against the rules, so it is best not to post about it.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

Well hopefully we're past that, although I will admit we are getting off topic, lol. But I'm just happy everyone is getting along now. That's honestly what I think the forums should be. A place where all ideas can be shared and discussed in a respectful manner. I mean you never know but your comment could educate someone if said in the right way. I know I've learned a lot from some posters on here today with seeing their views on things and learning how I should rephrase my words to not offend or hurt someone unintentionally.

Oh i agree! Talking\"debating"\sharing ideas is one of my favorite things to do real life. We all come from different backgrounds so i just love hearing how people grew up and how they see the world. And like you said, you may even learn something!
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

You young kids think you have a handle on cool don't you. :p

Curls in a ball..I'm 41 years old. But I'm young at heart!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Pary The next time you want to talk about me/quote me. How about you @ me? I found there word to be condescending and off topic. Is there a problem? If there is go to my wall. There is no need to put this thread off topic any more. The OP want's to stay on topic
  • Options
    Actually it was a general statement, but yes, you can include yourself in it. I've seen you jumping to conclusions in another thread too.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Actually it was a general statement, but yes, you can include yourself in it. I've seen you jumping to conclusions in another thread too.

No, you directly used my quote. You did say "condensing" didn't you? If you have a problem with me then go on my wall or @ me.
  • Options

Yes, well, I don't know how people determine that. You can't exactly "hear" a text emote and it's only someones interpretation of condescending.
    There are some people who clearly can't seem to help looking for that kind of thing where there actually isn't any.

I don't think the thread was too far off topic. It's about everyone being able to voice their opinions without threat of deletion. Even us "old people" have opinions :p

:D

We've been here long enough to know the moderators do what they do and while the forums break out in a huge uproar, it will quiet down soon.

I love discussing, I don't like name calling and -for want of a better word- minimoderating.