May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Sims and Friends: Share Your Stories!!

Comments

• Options
    lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Can anyone recommend any urban stories?
  • Options
    SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    @IvoryButterfly And @mastressalita Sadly, there is not an okay button to hit. :( And it's not from my adblocker, as I just tested that and it didn't make a difference...
    Untitled%202_zpsrpocgx8a.png
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Options
    @lasummerb Sadly, I cannot make any urban story recommendations...
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • Options
    thesealofthesimsthesealofthesims Posts: 722 Member
    edited December 2015
    @mastressalita: Kids - the world's greatest contortionists. They can stick both feet in their mouth and stay standing. :tongue: Of course, I've been known to put my foot in my mouth too. Well, one would hope so. As far as Psychic Pokémon go, Abra is my favorite. When you catch one, it feels like an accomplishment. XD Actually, it's more writer's blah. Writer's block is when you can't the ideas to come. Writer's blah is when you have the ideas but no desire to write, at least it's how I understand it.

@IvoryButterfly: Hey, I understand busy. Oh boy do I. Hope you're feeling better today. :)

@RebornMonster: Indeed. Too bad I can't get a job as a professional worrier. :tongue: Well, I try to be active. Only time I won't go back is if I have to sift through a lot of pages. Right now, I don't even remember why it was so busy, so I don't know if it was rewarding. XD The picture isn't showing. :(

@dreamerz13: I remember when my game started to screw with me. I was saving, and it took longer than normal. It just kept going and going. I finally had to just shut my computer down, and I'd just had a new addition to the family. So, I can sympathize. I haven't run into too many problems with the forums yet, but from the sound of things, it sure sounds worse. A comfort food for all occasions, sounds good to me.

@dreamerz13: Sounds like a good plan to de-stress. My idea of de-stressing is beating the living snot out of folks in my wrestling or UFC games. :lol: It used to be watching Wipeout - I figured at least I could take comfort knowing that it wasn't me that was getting beat up by their obstacle course.

@SilentWolf101: Yeah. Too bad I'm scared of it. There's plenty of good stuff I bought from the store way back when. You'd think official stuff would be reliable.

@IvoryButterfly: Congrats! :D

@CandyCadet: Your arc sounds like something out of Castlevania, Arc of Agony. I just say that because I play it. Don't know why, that game was made to be unfair.

@dreamerz13: In all the time I've had Seasons, I never saw my Sims do that. Of course, I have the free will setting turned off, just so my Sims don't do anything that I don't know about.

@SilverDaybreak: Well, it looked interesting. How'd you manage to make it look like that? It's going well enough, although the real battle is yet to begin. I hate fighting with CSS, but I'm going to have to, just as soon as I finish with all the functionality.

@SilentWolf101: She looks nice. :)

@Socallucyfan: I'd have to say advertising works. I know I've been working at getting my name out there for my stories, even if they are on FanFiction.

@RebornMonster: Sorry to hear you're a bit under the weather. Either way, feeling sick is no fun. If it's allergies, I can understand that. I live 3 months of the year in misery.

@everyone: I don't know if I told you about my gaming contest, but on another forum I'm on, we've been having a contest for about 2 years now. It's a year-long gaming marathon to see who can beat the most games. Well, this year, we've implemented a point system, and that's probably how it'll stay. But to me, it's still about the games. Over this year, I've beaten 98 games. Last year, I was the champion with 133 wins (short games make all the difference). I aim to break 100 before the year is out. I was hoping to beat my own record, since I'm retiring after this year, but that's not too likely.

No one has to check this out, but this is where I've been tracking the games beaten and the scores, all by hand. So that's why I'm building the leaderboard.

http://seriousgamersarcadearchive.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Hi guys. After recovering from NaNo I started writing my Sims story like crazy and here's the next chapter: Chapter 11!

The new baby is not the only change in the family's life. Time is passing, and happiness is quickly running out.

screenshot-2919.jpg?w=676
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    MunnieSimsMunnieSims Posts: 235 Member
    Hey everyone! It has been a long time since I last posted here or even played the sims. Silver invited me to come back to the thread and here I am. I haven't been writing very much lately but I would love to start writing again. I think it is time to load up the sims again and get writing. My previous stories I've written aren't being continued since I've decided to start fresh.
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    @SilentWolf101 : Well, that isn't what I get on Blogger sites at all. What I get looks like this: Example

My guess is still that blog owners must be choosing some content option in their settings regarding age suitability which triggers that bumper page, because I do not get that on every single Blogger page. But I do get it on a good many Sim story blogger sites.

Also, Blogger is a product of Google. If you are logged into Google automatically (notice you can just barely see "Mastress" up there in the corner of that cropped screencap -- I'm logged into Google by default on my browser, for my Gmail, my GoogleDocs, my YouTube, and other services) and your Google Account stores your birthdate/age, that could have something to do with it. If you account knows you are an old fart, you might just get the warning page to hit okay and go on through like I do. If you account knows you are underage from whatever age settings you put into your Google account, you might just get a big fat "Nope, you can't go in" page.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @thesealofthesims *hugs* You would think official stuff would be good, though! It is a shame, as there are some AMAZING pieces of CC out there on MTS and TSR. I made a vow that I'd never go to personal blogs to get CC... Well, I went to several personal blogs to get something my story desperately needed. AKA, certain careers. And thank you for the compliment. :) That game thing sounds awesome, but I do not have nearly enough money to do that. XD And the games I have have no ending to them... XD
    @MunnieSims *hugs* It's okay to start fresh -- I do that all the time. :) And welcome back!
    @mastressalita Yeah, that looks completely different... What I'm hitting is the picture link in @IvoryButterfly 's signature... The link below that works and leads to the WordPress blog, but there's nothing there so I don't think that's it... Perhaps it is because of my age, because you said you were definitely old enough to get on the site, so maybe it recognizes that and just wants to give you a warning... I'm going to go in and see if I can change the age on my google thing to let me in...

EDIT: @mastressalita @IvoryButterfly Yes, that was the problem. I changed my age to 19 (juts to be safe) and it let me see the page you showed @mastressalita. So it's just that my age was too low to view the site.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    My head is being an utter beast today (thus is what having Daily Chronic Headache disorder is like...) so while I thought I'd manage one of my massive posts today, that... isn't going to happen. You'll just have to forgive me for some short responses instead. But you know I still love you all, right?

@Simslover163 : I've been reading the Odette and Angela Morning Show, but I haven't had a chance to read D2D yet! (Not that I don't want to or anything, there is just this thing called "time" I never seem to have enough of... I'm two weeks behind in Book Club too, alas!) Is the new episode Spoiler-free for D2D? ^_^;;

@lastsummerb : What exactly are you looking for when you say "urban"? There are at least a few stories that are on my reading list right now which take place in large, metropolitan cities, with skyscrapers and bustling populations and all that, though I'm not exactly sure if that is what you are going for? One is Immerse Your Soul in Love by @CandyCadet which is about a homeless man that lives in a bustling city, and it has some really amazing Sims 3 visuals. The other is a Sims 4 story, and I was really shocked at how Newcrest could be redesigned to look so urban, with skyscrapers and towering apartment complexes and such! It is *pauses to look up since @OJenn still isn't in the Stories and Legacies Index* ah, Simtropolis by @OJenn , and it follows the lives of various different characters that dwell in the big city, bouncing between them every few chapters.

@Socallucyfan : Welcome to the thread! To be honest with you, the best thing to ever happen to my site was just making friends on these forums! When you hang around and chat with folks and be friendly with them, and show interest in their own work and read a lot of SimLit yourself, other people are just going to naturally reciprocate and take interest in your own work, as well! Chatting here is a great place to make friends with other SimLit authors! Also, even if you write Sims 3 stories, don't feel like you have to limit yourself to this one forum. I extended myself into the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies forum once I discovered these forums had give that game its own Stories and Legacies forum, thus kinda separating the writing community, and made a ton of new friends that way. They didn't care at all that I play Sims 3 and am a Sims 3 author. So don't feel afraid to head over there and jump into the Writer's Lounge thread there to just have a chat! Some other threads which I've found are great places to get involved in the community are the Short Story Challenges, where you write a short story with a specific theme every month (I've found this is a great way to get folks to check out your work, as my short story entries tend to get more hits than anything else on my site), the Book Club thread, where a different SimLit is picked for reading and discussion every week, and The Art of Sim Storytelling, where you can ask specific questions or discuss the writing process of SimLit with other authors.

@MunnieSims : Welcome back! I'm Mastress Alita, I've been a regular here for the last several months, I run a small story site that at the moment features one story about cute cats and another about a mentally unstable obsessive murdering girlfriend (about the two most opposite extremes you can get, I know, heh... guess which one is more popular by a long shot, hahahaha!) and I'm the maintainer of a story link collective on these forums, the Stories and Legacies Index. It's great to see so many returning folks these days! We are happy to have you!

@everyone : Have a fantastic weekend and happy reading and writing! *hugs*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
  • Options
    SocallucyfanSocallucyfan Posts: 1,170 Member

@SilentWolf101, @mastressalita, and @thesealofthesims : thank you all for the helpful tips.
  • Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    @mastressalita The new episode does expose a bit of D2D, so there are some spoilers. D2D is a great read, as you heard.
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    I just spent the last thirty minutes trying to make the thought bubble above her head disappear... I made it a spoiler because I forgot to put him in his pajamas so he's just in his underwear and bunny slippers... And I don't want any trouble in the forums... It's still not as good as I'd like, but I can't blend in Paint. :P *sigh* The cost of using free services for my photoshop needs...
    013_zps5fjvefge.png
  • Options
    @SilentWolf101 : You can disable thought bubbles at the beginning of a play session if you use ctrl+shift+c and type hideheadlineeffects on into the cheat window. I actually didn't know about it for the longest time. It hides plumbobs and skill-up meters, too.

I actually kinda like incorporating thought bubbles and wish there were a way to have those sometimes while hiding the other stuff, but can't have everything, I guess.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    IvoryButterflyIvoryButterfly Posts: 1,199 Member
    Afternoon @everyone :D

@SilentWolf101 I'm so sorry that my blog is being mean, but I'm not allowed to disable the mature content because of my archived stories, but, to stop this from happening, I will look at transferring my story over to my WordPress account later this arvo so that everyone can read my new stuff.

Again, another shout out, if anyone would like to follow please do, just click on the writing under my siggy and it'll take you to my WordPress :D
    mbytI0Z.png
    The Universe & I have agreed to disagree with each other!
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    Gah my internet has been moody today. >.< Technology is a pain in the rear sometimes. I'm also sick with a cold and kind of grumpy today, I think I'm just going to head into my game soon and forget the world exists.

I don't think I'm going to get to much to comment on, so I apologize but I'm just blah and not in the mood to fight my internet or the forums or anything much today.

So, I have been silently lurking the threads and reading some of your stories. It has inspired me to share my own story:
    Once Upon a Legacy

If anyone has any helpful tips about my blog, or how to get more views, I would appreciate the feedback.

Welcome to the thread. As for getting views the best thing you can do is just be active checking out other stories as people are more likely to read as a read back thing. I don't believe in that much, like just read what I want and don't read what doesn't interest me whether it's a read back or not, but I don't bother with stories where people don't seem to want to read anybody's at all either. It is a community thing IMO so people who aren't involved in the community meh... not worth it. And advertising your own around the forums. And just sticking it out. A lot of people don't read stories unless they're completed or at least long running because too many people just drop stories leaving readers hanging. So it can take time to earn views, so don't stress over them. Just write what you enjoy and keep at it and eventually the readers will come.

@dreamerz13: I remember when my game started to screw with me. I was saving, and it took longer than normal. It just kept going and going. I finally had to just shut my computer down, and I'd just had a new addition to the family. So, I can sympathize. I haven't run into too many problems with the forums yet, but from the sound of things, it sure sounds worse. A comfort food for all occasions, sounds good to me.

@dreamerz13: Sounds like a good plan to de-stress. My idea of de-stressing is beating the living snot out of folks in my wrestling or UFC games. :lol: It used to be watching Wipeout - I figured at least I could take comfort knowing that it wasn't me that was getting beat up by their obstacle course.

@dreamerz13: In all the time I've had Seasons, I never saw my Sims do that. Of course, I have the free will setting turned off, just so my Sims don't do anything that I don't know about.

Ugh saving freezes are the worst 'cause it's like "cool as I was trying save all my stuff, you're going to lose it all on me great. And people tell you to save more often so if something happens you don't lose much. Yeah well that's great when you *can* save." >.< Haha I have had a lot of issues on them, I think I just spend too much time on them XD (may not have been here in this thread for ages, but I've certainly been around the forums XD).

LOL, I don't really have games like that so that doesn't do much for me, I used to and I can see how it would work. I mostly just play sims now, so a lot of my games have been given away. Haha watching wipeout, I could see that too... the courses can be brutal.

I think it's an idle interaction so they should still do it even when just standing around even if free will is off, but if you keep them queued up enough then I guess you wouldn't notice it. Though I swear it takes my sims all of 1 second of being idle to do it, or not even being idle sometimes I have them rushing outside and the do it while running... weird little pixel beings. XD

MunnieSims wrote: »
    Hey everyone! It has been a long time since I last posted here or even played the sims. Silver invited me to come back to the thread and here I am. I haven't been writing very much lately but I would love to start writing again. I think it is time to load up the sims again and get writing. My previous stories I've written aren't being continued since I've decided to start fresh.

Welcome back!

I just spent the last thirty minutes trying to make the thought bubble above her head disappear... I made it a spoiler because I forgot to put him in his pajamas so he's just in his underwear and bunny slippers... And I don't want any trouble in the forums... It's still not as good as I'd like, but I can't blend in Paint. :P *sigh* The cost of using free services for my photoshop needs...
    013_zps5fjvefge.png

I don't think they care if you post sims in their underwear... I do it all the time. And I mean, it's something you can do in the game without mods so you should be able to post it here imo. Then again the forums think p.izzerias are offensive, or they did, probably still do. So what do I know?

Anyway, have you tried gimp? People like to compare it to photoshop, I'm not sure I'd go that far, but gimp is quite powerful for free. My biggest issue is it doesn't seem quite as user friendly as photoshop and some things simply don't work as well anyway in it, but it still great for a free program honestly, it's probably at least as good as paintshop which is a paid program (and not a very cheap one either) so it's a respectable program. There's also paint.net which is free and seems decent, better than MS paint, but I'd still pick Gimp over it. I uh... have too many photo editing programs so yeah... I know of and have opinions on a fair number lol.

And I guess if you've taken the screenshot it's too late, but there is a cheat in game to turn off the thought bubbles and almost all the junk above a sims head (minus a few things like the social group icons that pop up sometimes if you have the uni EP). It's just "hideheadlineeffects on". Unless you knew that and just didn't have it off in this case, or like it on for the most part, then don't mind me.

Lol @ the guy just like standing there though. Was he catching an affair, or just being creepy?

Okay that's enough for a bit. Off for some sim-therapy XD.
  • Options
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    So, I have been silently lurking the threads and reading some of your stories. It has inspired me to share my own story:
    Once Upon a Legacy

If anyone has any helpful tips about my blog, or how to get more views, I would appreciate the feedback.

Welcome to the thread. As for getting views the best thing you can do is just be active checking out other stories as people are more likely to read as a read back thing. I don't believe in that much, like just read what I want and don't read what doesn't interest me whether it's a read back or not, but I don't bother with stories where people don't seem to want to read anybody's at all either. It is a community thing IMO so people who aren't involved in the community meh... not worth it. And advertising your own around the forums. And just sticking it out. A lot of people don't read stories unless they're completed or at least long running because too many people just drop stories leaving readers hanging. So it can take time to earn views, so don't stress over them. Just write what you enjoy and keep at it and eventually the readers will come.

Yes, that is so very true! Don't ever let yourself get tied up in the numbers, @Socallucyfan ! I see way too many people do this. They get too obsessed with views and hits instead of just enjoying what they are doing and putting out more content. As long as you write for you, and are enjoying what you are doing, you cannot go wrong... and it will reflect in your work, too! I had a good 60+ posts on my site before I started getting any visits to it. I never stopped writing, I never got myself down going, "Why am I doing this, no one is even reading this!" because I simply love playing the Sims and writing stories! Sometimes it can be hard to be patient, but if you just keep building it... they will come. ^_~ (Ah, good old Field of Dreams...) Because it is true, so many folks start up stories and simply don't stick it out, so I think a lot of people don't jump immediately on new stories until it looks like the author is really invested into their own work.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    Regarding blog/story views, it can get really confusing. Like it's different the way they collect data for Weebly compared to Wordpress. It shouldn't be that important tho. The most important is having people to talk to about it :)

@thesealofthesims Haha! It's not really officially called that. Just made it up :P I've played the game once a long time ago but never really followed it. Sad that Konami is most likely not going to continue the series.
  • Options
    @Simslover163 : I'm glad I asked then! I'll just go back and catch that episode after I've found the time to read D2D then. Thanks for the heads up!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    @mastressalita You can do that!?! That would have been so helpful to know when I started taking pictures for my stories. :P XD I just don't like the thought bubbles, but the skill up meters and everything I'm fine with.
    @IvoryButterfly *hugs* It's alright. The transfer might be a good idea, but I've decided to just keep my age older than I really am. It might be helpful later on.
    @dreamerz13 *hugs* I'm sorry about your internet being plum. I kept it as a spoiler not only because of the forums, but because I didn't wanna make anybody uncomfortable either. :3 XD Thank you for all the photoshop recommendations. If I have any major photoshopping to do again, then I might try out Gimp. And thank you, I didn't know about that cheat, and I will probably use it from now on. Like I said before, it'd have been helpful to know when I started taking pictures. I actually did a cheat search when I started to see what cheats I can use, and never saw that one... :P And as for the guy standing there, no he's not catching an affair, but he is important to the first chapter (which you'll find if you read the chapter when I post it...). It's sad but kind of funny.
  • Options
    SilverDaybreakSilverDaybreak Posts: 2,080 Member
    Hello everyone,

Just popping in to share my last update for Abigail Simoto in SCIS Scientists,

https://silverslegacydiaries.wordpress.com/scis-scientists-generation-1-scientist-of-solitude/

@MunnieSims : Hugs and welcome back to the thread. So happy that you could stop by.

@Socallucyfan : Hello and welcome to the thread. Hope you enjoy your time hanging out here with new friends. Will try to check out your story in the next day or so.

@dreamerz13 : Sorry that you're having more computer and internet issues. Hope they are fixed up soon.

Waves* to everyone else and will try to comeback tomorrow for a longer visit.

Silver
  • Options
    So, I got some more pictures that I needed, and then this happened:
    05_zpsfxttfffp.png
    My goodness, I'm fangirling so hard right now... I'm going to make this a new save and play around with this. :3
  • Options
    So, I got some more pictures that I needed, and then this happened:
    05_zpsfxttfffp.png
    My goodness, I'm fangirling so hard right now... I'm going to make this a new save and play around with this. :3

gotta love those little unexpected goodie egg moments hey :D
    mbytI0Z.png
  • Options
    Alright, so here's what I've done. I uploaded the chapter a couple days ago, and I was working on the next chapter when I realized that it was more of backstory than actual first chapter. So, I went in and put that in the first chapter, lengthening the first chapter and saving something a little more special for the "first" chapter. If you wanted to check it out, here's the link.
    011_zpssbepybv7.png
    Good things never last, it seems.

@IvoryButterfly agreed! My goodness, I love gay couples (don't ask me why, because I don't have an answer...), and they make me so happy when they happen in my game. ^-^
  • Options
    @SilentWolf101 also, my WordPress blog is now up and running... so now you can read my blog, that is if you still want to, I'm not saying you have to or anything... oh, uh, I'm going to shut up now... :blush::cold_sweat:
    mbytI0Z.png
  • Options
    @IvoryButterfly Yay! I'll read it today. :)