The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OMG! Metro UK talks about the problems of The Sims 4 and his team!

Comments

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Shadoza2 wrote: »

Also, as tablet technology improves and PC gaming continues to decline, most investment will probably be in the tablet sphere. I've already accepted this, and it might not be too bad in 5 years or so when tablets are far more powerful.

PC gaming is actually increasing. MMO are alive and well and thriving.

Last research I read stated that many PC gamers are also tablet gamers, so the 'gold ring' for the industry right now would be to integrate the two platforms rather than to convert. As an example: talking about a game causes player to desire to be in-game and playing, so if a PC game created an app that allows players to access their live chat from a tablet or phone, the in-game discussion will draw the out-of-games back into the game.

Elaine, the writer of the article mentions what happened in SimCity, which crashed and burned because it attempted to shift its footing on the platform. Had the producers actually integrated instead of attempt to convert, the game may have done better.

Yes that's what I think.

The other issue around Sim City 2013 was the conflicting statements and the customer base knowing better. They swore up and down offline was impossible under that engine-but modders converted it to be offline barely after this was said. They were slow to react to the game suffering from problems with servers and the bad press that caused.

They continued to say that offline was impossible until the last patch. They released it then shut up shop without so much as a 'thank you and goodbye' to the fans. The forums were abandoned-and it was left for customers to find out in the press or from other customers that it was no longer being developed. There are threads and threads over there of requests for bug fixes that will never arrive, and wonderful ideas from a customer base who although were unhappy about aspects of the game forced upon them took the time out of their lives to give great feedback Maxis will never utilise. SimCity was loved and is still loved. It has loyal fans as much as the sims does. It's just a shame watch it be cut down to mobile only. There is obviously a market for PC and mobile versions-but a poor start and issues were allowed to fester instead of being dealt with quickly.

I still maintain most customers want to be happy when it's a product they love. They will overlook a certain amount but there is a limit. It doesn't even need to be immediate improvements-it just needs to be an understanding and sympathetic reaction from those involved and a promise to work on what they can see bothers their customers most.

Meanwhile, City: Skylines nudges their way into the city builder arena and produces a game that is very similar to the most beloved of the SimCity franchise, SimCity 4. Now if only EA would learn that you don't change the winning formula, you update it. You take the best of what customers loved about the game, fix or abandon what they hated and add something new. Instead EA likes to try to force detrimental changes on games that have a loyal community of players to try and attract new blood. However, what they end up doing is pushing away their loyal fans and attracting hardly anyone new.

Sadly very true. That's because customers can effectively communicate their experiences much better with the internet and social media and it's harder for companies to control the message with advertising. I know if I see poor reviews from existing customers and in the press I will very rarely bother to buy.

Cities Skylines is awesome and cost me a fraction of what I paid for TS4 including the expansion. The only reason I didn't buy SC2013 because I wasn't interested in online only. I've owned every other Sim City game. I wish I'd been more wise around TS4 but after SC2013 I was sure they wouldn't make the same mistakes. *Sigh*
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited October 2015
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    If that was a fact then it would be the same in all of EA's other games and since AW has became CEO - it is not at all like this on other EA games forums. Most of the can't comment is solely a Maxis thing and not obvious on other EA games. I see it in other EA games hubby plays. In fact it makes me mad when I see how much he can learn about coming stuff he didn't even ask about, and we always get Can't comment. EA does not make separate rules for Maxis - but Maxis obviously makes their own rules.

Like Maxis had no issues before the game even came out to tell us it had all life stages, cars, etc - now did they. Several different devs even said it at the E3 in at least 2 different live on air interviews.

No Maxis picks and chooses what they want to talk about when they feel like it and when they have no truthful answers to anything instead of saying something was not being worked on they would rather string people along with an "I can't comment on coming content". Well they have commented plenty on coming GT content - other wise how else does anyone know things being added during the delay - BECAUSE THEY COMMENTED - yet that defies their - I can't comment on future content - now don't it?
    There are differences between the games. If we talk about main games like FIFA 16 and TS4 then they were announced a long time before they were released and as soon as such a game is announced I think they are allowed to ask questions about it.

But now people want to know things like if toddlers will be in a future expansion. If the gurus attempted to answer such a question then they would talk about the content of unannounced future games and I don't believe that EA allows them to do that. Therefore I actually don't think that they could answer in a different way than they did.

Edit: One of the reasons for EA's policy about this probably is that as long as a future game is unannounced then its content isn't unlikely to change and EA probably doesn't want people working on such a game to make promises about the game's content if the promised content later is removed or changed.

Even when a future game has been announced I think that parts of it can be off limit for them to talk about because it hasn't been made yet. Therefore it can still be changed. I also think that the person who told us that TS4 would have all age groups broke a rule. Either he didn't know that toddlers weren't made yet or he just forgot about toddlers because he said it as an answer to a question about another age group.
    Post edited by Erpe on
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    If that was a fact then it would be the same in all of EA's other games and since AW has became CEO - it is not at all like this on other EA games forums. Most of the can't comment is solely a Maxis thing and not obvious on other EA games. I see it in other EA games hubby plays. In fact it makes me mad when I see how much he can learn about coming stuff he didn't even ask about, and we always get Can't comment. EA does not make separate rules for Maxis - but Maxis obviously makes their own rules.

Like Maxis had no issues before the game even came out to tell us it had all life stages, cars, etc - now did they. Several different devs even said it at the E3 in at least 2 different live on air interviews.

No Maxis picks and chooses what they want to talk about when they feel like it and when they have no truthful answers to anything instead of saying something was not being worked on they would rather string people along with an "I can't comment on coming content". Well they have commented plenty on coming GT content - other wise how else does anyone know things being added during the delay - BECAUSE THEY COMMENTED - yet that defies their - I can't comment on future content - now don't it?

Maxis used to drop hints and teasers for TS3. I remember seeing the teaser for Island Paradise; I stopped building a certain world because I saw potential in what was going to be released and did want to redo the world. I was excited about the features that suggested and showed. They told us about Into the Future as well. Said that the sims will be able to travel in a way they have never traveled before. Not answering questions or revealing game play with a teaser came in with TS4 base. Perhaps they creators are not so confident as those from the pass.

What ever the reasoning, I believe if Maxis had shown or revealed what was going to be in TS4 and what would not, few players would be upset of missing their favorite features.
  • Options

Maxis used to drop hints and teasers for TS3. I remember seeing the teaser for Island Paradise; I stopped building a certain world because I saw potential in what was going to be released and did want to redo the world. I was excited about the features that suggested and showed. They told us about Into the Future as well. Said that the sims will be able to travel in a way they have never traveled before. Not answering questions or revealing game play with a teaser came in with TS4 base. Perhaps they creators are not so confident as those from the pass.

What ever the reasoning, I believe if Maxis had shown or revealed what was going to be in TS4 and what would not, few players would be upset of missing their favorite features.
    There has been changes also about the time from the announcement of a new EP or SP (or GP) until it can be bought from TS3 to TS4.

But the reason for that time being shortened obviously is that especially SPs and GPs now are only sold as digital downloads from Origin. Only the more expensive basegame and EPs are still also available in physical stores. The reason for that probably is that EA want parents to be able to buy the basegame and the EPs as birthday presents for their teens too and digital downloads aren't really suited for that.

The information "All life stages will still be in TS4" was given in answer to a question about another age stage (maybe elders?). But it could easily have been a slip of the tongue which he immediately regretted. But if this was the case then he couldn't take it back because he wasn't yet allowed to give any information about toddlers. So what should he have said to correct himself? ;)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

No as many of us were cancelling the pre-order when it was leaked there was no toddlers, cars and other things - that is when they promised to make them a priority and stated the only reason we didn't have them was a time factor. It was even explained in detail....

I would not even have bothered with Sims 4 at all as I know how I play and was not open to a Sims game without certain things. They should have never promised them. As far as I am concerned I paid a premium price for a game I cannot play it, can't sell it, and can't get a refund. They should have been truthful, and not made false promises of making them a priority along with pools.

I think it is time for all of us to just leave - if you want the truth of it. I just wish I had my money back as they did not deliver a finished base game or deliver on their promises in reasonable time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

No as many of us were cancelling the pre-order when it was leaked there was no toddlers, cars and other things - that is when they promised to make them a priority and stated the only reason we didn't have them was a time factor. It was even explained in detail....

I would not even have bothered with Sims 4 at all as I know how I play and was not open to a Sims game without certain things. They should have never promised them. As far as I am concerned I paid a premium price for a game I cannot play it, can't sell it, and can't get a refund. They should have been truthful, and not made false promises of making them a priority along with pools.

I think it is time for all of us to just leave - if you want the truth of it. I just wish I had my money back as they did not deliver a finished base game or deliver on their promises in reasonable time.
    I am sure that it was a time factor. Some of the omitted things were postponed to be in free updates such that they didn't have to postpone the release of the whole game. Others (toddlers) had to be omitted completely and the reason probably mainly was that they had used too much time on the multitasking which Daniel told us had been very tricky to make.

But they still couldn't tell us about the planned content for unannounced updates either without a permission from EA.
  • Options

I'm with you @Writin_Reg completely. It is not good to feel taken in and taken advantage of that way. If they couldn't accommodate our play style the onus was on them to say so. Not take our money then try to make out *we* are unreasonable for holding them to their word.
  • Options
    Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    EA's sole interest is the highest profit for the least amount of work & investment. Unfortunately, that isn't working out so well for them right now or they wouldn't have been downsizing over the past months. Downsizing is usually a good way to measure a company's well being, no matter what "profits" are recorded as it's an internal means of boosting lagging profit margins.

If sales continue to lag, and they will only get worse as more and more fans give up and walk away......EA will eventually sit up and take notice. The real question is whether or not that will be in time to save the series.

Bottom line, toddlers will have to be paid for it we get them. I've said this all along and see no reason to change it. I doubt we'll see any other life stage added to the game. I don't care about paying for them......but the ep they arrive in had better be much higher quality that what we've seen thus far before they're getting my money. Toddlers involve too much in game play & content to come as a free patch.

Erpe your philosophy is flawed, as is your reason. In the first year alone there have been many things added for FREE via patch simply because disgruntled fans would not shut up and sales were lagging. Pools, basements, family trees being just some off the top of my head. Obviously, it works as long as sales back up the sentiment of unhappy customers.

Personally, I believe EA's new "hush hush" on any future content is simply because they have yet to decide how long they're going to drag out TS4. Sales are likely going to be what they base this decision on. The game was poorly received for good reason. Despite some mediocre effort on EA's part to boost morale......it's only gone from bad to much worse over the course of the first year. Not all players are unhappy, but more than enough to have a major impact, especially when it's giving your game & company tons of bad publicity.......which is not going to help those sale figures.

Eps for the game still follow the shallow online format........including the new one. Not really good considering a majority of fans have rejected previous content that followed that format. I would have expected them to change it up by now. Perhaps that is why the date of release for the new ep was pushed back......but I highly doubt it........more like they didn't want to compete with an actual quality game such as Fall Out 4.

Personally? While I don' t hate TS4 (there are many features I really do like), I really could care less. EA will have to come up with something spectacular to get another dollar out of me. What I do care about is them killing a game I've loved dearly for 15 yrs. If TS5 happens, it happens. I won't bother with it unless I'm certain they resurrected the game that belongs under that title.

Meanwhile, because of their stupidity, I've been lead off into new adventures with top quality games such as Fall Out and Bethesda will most certainly will be getting my dollars come November.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Mollypup9 wrote: »
    EA's sole interest is the highest profit for the least amount of work & investment. Unfortunately, that isn't working out so well for them right now or they wouldn't have been downsizing over the past months. Downsizing is usually a good way to measure a company's well being, no matter what "profits" are recorded as it's an internal means of boosting lagging profit margins.

If sales continue to lag, and they will only get worse as more and more fans give up and walk away......EA will eventually sit up and take notice. The real question is whether or not that will be in time to save the series.

Bottom line, toddlers will have to be paid for it we get them. I've said this all along and see no reason to change it. I doubt we'll see any other life stage added to the game. I don't care about paying for them......but the ep they arrive in had better be much higher quality that what we've seen thus far before they're getting my money. Toddlers involve too much in game play & content to come as a free patch.

Erpe your philosophy is flawed, as is your reason. In the first year alone there have been many things added for FREE via patch simply because disgruntled fans would not shut up and sales were lagging. Pools, basements, family trees being just some off the top of my head. Obviously, it works as long as sales back up the sentiment of unhappy customers.

Personally, I believe EA's new "hush hush" on any future content is simply because they have yet to decide how long they're going to drag out TS4. Sales are likely going to be what they base this decision on. The game was poorly received for good reason. Despite some mediocre effort on EA's part to boost morale......it's only gone from bad to much worse over the course of the first year. Not all players are unhappy, but more than enough to have a major impact, especially when it's giving your game & company tons of bad publicity.......which is not going to help those sale figures.

Eps for the game still follow the shallow online format........including the new one. Not really good considering a majority of fans have rejected previous content that followed that format. I would have expected them to change it up by now. Perhaps that is why the date of release for the new ep was pushed back......but I highly doubt it........more like they didn't want to compete with an actual quality game such as Fall Out 4.

Personally? While I don' t hate TS4 (there are many features I really do like), I really could care less. EA will have to come up with something spectacular to get another dollar out of me. What I do care about is them killing a game I've loved dearly for 15 yrs. If TS5 happens, it happens. I won't bother with it unless I'm certain they resurrected the game that belongs under that title.

Meanwhile, because of their stupidity, I've been lead off into new adventures with top quality games such as Fall Out and Bethesda will most certainly will be getting my dollars come November.
    The following statements are from Blake Jorgensen, EA, only 2 months ago:

"In the first quarter, EA Sports FIFA 15, Battlefield Hardline, and The Sims 4 drove solid revenue and delivered excellent margins. This demonstrates the power of our deep catalog of popular IP, which delivers a base of stable revenue throughout the year. The revenue and margin beat versus guidance were driven by better-than-expected performance from FIFA Ultimate Team and The Sims 4."

"Moving on to gross margin, our non-GAAP gross margin for the quarter was 76.8%, an increase from last year's 70.2% and better than our guidance of 74.5%. Growth over the prior year was driven by product mix, the shift to digital, and FIFA Online 3 in China. We exceeded guidance largely through better-than-expected performance from FIFA Ultimate Team and the continued success of The Sims 4, which delivers very high margins by virtue of being a PC title based on wholly-owned IP."

"Guidance for our second quarter is for non-GAAP net revenue to be $1.075 billion, 12% lower than last year's $1.22 billion. In this quarter, we are launching Madden NFL, FIFA, Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR, NHL, and NBA LIVE. While last year's Q2 saw the launches of our major sports titles, it also included The Sims 4."

"Sure, so first on gross margin, the gross margin -- a couple things to remember in just year-over-year comparisons. One, last year, both Titanfall and UFC are royalty-bearing titles, so they have dampened last year's gross margin a little bit.
    But the real driver for us was the strength, as you noted, FIFA Online 3. Obviously, some of that deferred revenue, so coming in at very nice gross margins.
    But second, and probably more importantly, the strength of The Sims 4. And I'd just give people a reminder. Last year, The Sims started a little slow relative to our thinking. We talked about that in our Q2 earnings, but the strength of The Sims franchise is the layering in of expansion packs that really fuel not just the expansion pack revenue, but bring people into the core game.
    And we were in a situation where many consumers were comparing the original Sims 4 game to The Sims 3 game with a long series of expansion packs. And as we now start to bring out expansion packs, they are starting to see the power of The Sims 4 game play and the excitement around it. And we sold more Sims 4 this quarter than we thought, and we think that trend will continue and we are very excited about it, not just because of the franchise, but because of the power that drives to the gross margin."

And the following statements were made at the same event by EA's CEO Andrew Wilson:

"Our Q1 results were excellent, with revenue, margins, and earnings above our guidance. Our top games and large services, including EA SPORTS FIFA 15, Battlefield Hardline, The Sims 4, are engaging players around the world with fresh new experiences. We see continued strength in our mobile titles, with new games coming later this year."

"The Sims 4 play community continues to grow and engage deeply with the game as we deliver more update and new content, and we saw game play hours in our mobile hit, The Sims FreePlay, increase 85% year over year. In addition, our EA Sports ultimate team modes averaged over 2 million players per day in Q1, up nearly 20% year over year."

So apparently TS4 is doing much better than people think. We still don't really have the exact sales numbers though.

Edit: All statements are from the document http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/3807566549x0x844037/5A41024A-B46C-4471-A08B-12A5062553A2/EA-Transcript-2015-07-30T21_00.pdf
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,934 Member
    It doesn't matter to me if Sims 4 is doing well or badly. I don't own shares in EA and I don't play or spend any money on Sims 4. I have the Sims 4 base game and that's it. The argument is irrelevant.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited October 2015
    @Erpe

As an FYI, that all age stages would be present was said during a pre-alpha interview at SimsCamp, in a direct answer to the question "What age stages will be present in the sims 4".

http://thesims4blogger.tumblr.com/post/62013845250/the-sims-4-simifieds-qa-with-simgurugrant

Upon being asked what happened, SGGrant is also the one that turned around and said "Things change", which is said around the forums, largely as a sarcastic response.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    someone did :p

GStaff probably did. :o

I may be using graphical mods for Fallout 4, since I have like a million of them for Skyrim (and don't see any FPS drops). :D

I dont know how demanding FO4 will be with mods. Skyrim is not a demanding game like FO4 to begin with. I hope your 970 will be able to handle FO4 with mods
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    It doesn't matter to me if Sims 4 is doing well or badly. I don't own shares in EA and I don't play or spend any money on Sims 4. I have the Sims 4 base game and that's it. The argument is irrelevant.

Agree! I've quit arguing with her/him. Doesn't listen that we don't care about all those 'facts' brought up, articles etc. We care about the game and will make our comments until each of us decide ok...I've done my part and can't do anymore. I have not reached that stage yet.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited October 2015
    Arletta wrote: »
    @Erpe

As an FYI, that all age stages would be present was said during a pre-alpha interview at SimsCamp, in a direct answer to the question "What age stages will be present in the sims 4".

http://thesims4blogger.tumblr.com/post/62013845250/the-sims-4-simifieds-qa-with-simgurugrant

Upon being asked what happened, SGGrant is also the one that turned around and said "Things change", which is said around the forums, largely as a sarcastic response.

Does anyone know where I can see / have a link for that one?
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »

Agree! I've quit arguing with her/him. Doesn't listen that we don't care about all those 'facts' brought up, articles etc. We care about the game and will make our comments until each of us decide ok...I've done my part and can't do anymore. I have not reached that stage yet.

He/She doesn't talk for EA as much as they like to give that impression. Actually a lot of what's said is contrary to public statements made by actual EA employees.
  • Options
    @Erpe

Does anyone know where I can see / have a link for that one?

You can Google it and find it preserved on fan sites. He deleted it from his twitter.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,934 Member

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned they stopped my cancelling my preorder and got my money through telling me things they now have no intention of honouring. That's the issue.

I wonder how many customers feel that way.

I do. I remember thinking that they said toddlers would be in the game and so went ahead and paid for the game. Since then I've discovered how much else is not in it and I'm not giving them any more money for a few extra bits and pieces. I'll just keep playing Sims 3 and do all the other things I do without worrying about Sims 4.
  • Options

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned they stopped my cancelling my preorder and got my money through telling me things they now have no intention of honouring. That's the issue.

I wonder how many customers feel that way.

I do. I remember thinking that they said toddlers would be in the game and so went ahead and paid for the game. Since then I've discovered how much else is not in it and I'm not giving them any more money for a few extra bits and pieces. I'll just keep playing Sims 3 and do all the other things I do without worrying about Sims 4.

This is the thing. Toddlers and pools were the tip of the iceberg. Once I opened up the game on release game was when I realised just how barren it was. As someone who didn't follow the forum much I believed them when they said they cut big things just for time pressures and to give the little things to us on release. Only to find the big and the small were cut.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2015
    See, I read the same shareholder report and I found this line discouraging (and they're not about to say in this report that things are doing poorly -- that Sims 4 picked up a bit more than they expected with GTW doesn't say much other than they're not scrapping the series yet). "The Sims 4 play community continues to grow and engage deeply with the game as we deliver more update and new content, and we saw game play hours in our mobile hit, The Sims FreePlay, increase 85% year over year. In addition, our EA Sports ultimate team modes averaged over 2 million players per day in Q1, up nearly 20% year over year."

Why toss in games from two different divisions (at the time) where one is doing well, and only talk about the improvement of one of them. Obviously Sims 4 is not hitting an impressive number, or else that would have been the one with the growth mentioned. Sims 4 is growing. Freeplay play hours are increasing by 85%!

I wonder why they're not mentioning the 15k-25k players of the Sims 4 on line at any time (just what I've observed when I open the game). Maybe because, even if that's up from where it was, it's not considered impressive for a new game that sold over 1 million copies.
  • Options
    Well said @ejoslin previously it was all about bragging how well the sims PC was doing. They didn't need to lump it in with other products.
  • Options
    @Erpe

So it was said by Grant Rodiek in August 2013. I didn't investigate the source when I mentioned it here because I didn't think it was that important. But it was still more than a year before TS4 was actually released.

In some of the videos Grant has talked like he thinks that his audience are 12 to 14 years olds. So this age group must his primary target to get as new customers. Maybe he didn't realize that people in this forum are generally much older ;)

But I actually think that he was honest and that the decision to omit toddlers was made later when it became clear that otherwise the deadline would have to be postponed further by many months - which wouldn't have pleased EA at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Actually, I just peeked in the gallery and saw there were 14.8K people logged on. There are 17.4k in Skyrim on line on Steam atm to give some perspective. I know Skyrim is still popular, but it's also quite old.

Edit: Heh, there are 12k on Steam on line for the Witcher 3, but I have no clue how many are playing it on Origin (you can get that one on either platform). The difference between Skyrim and Witcher 3, though, is that the majority of their sales are on consoles.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited October 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Actually, I just peeked in the gallery and saw there were 14.8K people logged on. There are 17.4k in Skyrim on line on Steam atm to give some perspective. I know Skyrim is still popular, but it's also quite old.

Edit: Heh, there are 12k on Steam on line for the Witcher 3, but I have no clue how many are playing it on Origin (you can get that one on either platform). The difference between Skyrim and Witcher 3, though, is that the majority of their sales are on consoles.

Nvidia was giving away the witcher on gog for those who bought a new 900 series card a while back. My son got it free.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »

Nvidia was giving away the witcher on gog for those who bought a new 900 series card a while back. My son got it free.

With the ones bought through GoG, do they have to have a steam or origin login? I missed that promo, unfortunately, when I got my video card.

Edit: The answer is No. GoG and Amazon copies are DRM free. So probably that 12k logged onto Steam and playing represents a small number of actual people playing Witcher 3 on PC.