Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling: OK, now I'm mad!

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,325 Member
    edited August 2015
    I hope Maxis will never rule our world, I already imagine they will solve the human overpopulation.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,325 Member
    edited August 2015
    But TS4 culling system will be welcome in The Sims 3 because in TS3 we don't care about the homeless sims (a ton of NPC townies created by the game).

Right feature, wrong game !

Or later in The Sims 4 when there will be enough of houses for all of our sims so that they will be no longer homeless.

If the game could manage better its sims, the culling system won't be obligatory.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    ShuffleJ wrote: »
    I'd managed to avoid any emotional attachment to Sims headed for the culling block, but one of my Sims had a friend, they went out a few times, he texted her, chatted on the phone... now she's gone. Another Sim gone, kidnapped in the night. It's kind of distressing. They're just gone. Not a word. Here's the thing: I get that culling must be a necessary evil to the game. Too many Sims walking around, too much engine power. I get it. How freakin' hard is it to code a small script that notifies us it's happened?? To integrate it into the game? To enrich the story?
    • Sally Sim got a great new job in another town! She's moved away and hopes you'll write!
    • Sally Sim fell in love with Tom on the morning commute. They ran away and got married. She'll send you a postcard from Simkiki.
    • Sally Sim fell into an inter-dimensional worm hole. Good bye for now.
    • Sally Sim has joined the Peace Corp. She'll be digging trenches and teaching young Sims to read. Sally is saving the world. Wish her luck!
    • Sally Sim decided the big city wasn't for her and has moved back to Sunset Valley. Sorry, you can't visit her.
    • Sally Sim was abducted by aliens. Someone thinks they saw her in Strangetown. Was it really her?
    • Sally Sim tumbled into a rabbit-hole. Was that a white rabbit she was chasing?

I mean, something along those lines? Is it hard? Is the team so stupidly busy they can't be bothered to add STORY to the game? Culling is important. Why not make it more fun? Or is this really about no vision and no direction? These are the little things that upset me the most. How much effort does it take to put in some inside jokes, a little writing, a little clever "we know you hate culling, but maybe this will make it nicer" tactics. It's lazy, lazy, lazy! There is no excuse for this level of neglect.

Sims. The gift that keeps on taking.

So what you're really asking for is TS3 Story Progression. That's what it did. All of sudden you got a message that someone drowned or moved or something.

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    ShuffleJ wrote: »
    I'd managed to avoid any emotional attachment to Sims headed for the culling block, but one of my Sims had a friend, they went out a few times, he texted her, chatted on the phone... now she's gone. Another Sim gone, kidnapped in the night. It's kind of distressing. They're just gone. Not a word. Here's the thing: I get that culling must be a necessary evil to the game. Too many Sims walking around, too much engine power. I get it. How freakin' hard is it to code a small script that notifies us it's happened?? To integrate it into the game? To enrich the story?
    • Sally Sim got a great new job in another town! She's moved away and hopes you'll write!
    • Sally Sim fell in love with Tom on the morning commute. They ran away and got married. She'll send you a postcard from Simkiki.
    • Sally Sim fell into an inter-dimensional worm hole. Good bye for now.
    • Sally Sim has joined the Peace Corp. She'll be digging trenches and teaching young Sims to read. Sally is saving the world. Wish her luck!
    • Sally Sim decided the big city wasn't for her and has moved back to Sunset Valley. Sorry, you can't visit her.
    • Sally Sim was abducted by aliens. Someone thinks they saw her in Strangetown. Was it really her?
    • Sally Sim tumbled into a rabbit-hole. Was that a white rabbit she was chasing?

I mean, something along those lines? Is it hard? Is the team so stupidly busy they can't be bothered to add STORY to the game? Culling is important. Why not make it more fun? Or is this really about no vision and no direction? These are the little things that upset me the most. How much effort does it take to put in some inside jokes, a little writing, a little clever "we know you hate culling, but maybe this will make it nicer" tactics. It's lazy, lazy, lazy! There is no excuse for this level of neglect.

Sims. The gift that keeps on taking.

I got half of my town culled. It is a big town. Families were wiped out.
    So I am imagining that a flood happened and killed half of the town.

The problem that everything about those sims is completely wiped. It would have been better if the family tree would stay intact. but that is not the case. family tree gets screwed

Actually TS4 has no family tree. it is the tree of the living sims only
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ShesVeryNiceShesVeryNice Posts: 106 Member
    It would be great if the game just kept some information for the family you were playing at least. As @halimali1980 pointed out, the family tree is rather pointless in Sims 4 at the moment :(
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2015
    I hope Maxis will never rule our world, I already imagine they will solve the human overpopulation.

No overpopulation in my state. My state I (Of New Hampshire) has over 9000 square miles and a total population of 1.3 million. We can travel for miles without seeing another person in my part of the state. On the bad side it takes hours to get to a store. There is no walking down to the store for a loaf of bread around here unless you have on your hiking boots and pack yourself a backpack with food and water. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    It would be great if the game just kept some information for the family you were playing at least. As @halimali1980 pointed out, the family tree is rather pointless in Sims 4 at the moment :(

If you look at Amazon's listing for TS4 the quote below was added in the game description. They don't say....yes you have ghosts but they might get culled.

Now with Pools and Ghosts: Pools and ghosts have arrived and are now included in The Sims 4 with the most recent updates. We've designed the game to be a live service so that we can continually evolve The Sims 4 experience with exciting new features and content.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Also they tend to not make it clear about the culling - I found out from talking with a few of my simming family members - who assumed the culling was 180 sims per world and it is not - it is 180 sims period in the entire game - In my case I counted up every single sim and only came to 113. I had started a brand new game - had only added 16 sims and made some lots in New Crest (5 were community lots. Two were still empty lots. And two houses were empty. I have aging shut off. The third day Sims in houses even were culled included the last two household of one sims each I had played in the new GTW careers. So to say they only cull sims you did not play or sims without house is bull.

I have no mods, no cc, and did not use a single cheat.

So I removed the save. Totally reset the game to brand new. Started completely over - again have not touched anything in the other worlds, started redoing New Crest this time only putting in the Maxis made community lots. For houses I have added nothing but my own or Maxis starter size houses. Putting no families - just single YA sims in the World. Just three houses have roommates - 1 of 8, 1 of 6, one of 5 and 5 houses with just one single ya sim in it; total 24 sims. Now lets see what happens. I again will try the GTW Careers first.

ETA - I have not touched the Maxis sims in houses in the other worlds, but have gone through the list of so called homeless sims in managed households and culled all but a select few that I recognized before as being nice, pleasant, friendly sims. I also weeded out all kids, teens, and elders in the homeless list - so kept just YA and ads. Aging is shut off. I will keep all aging shut off permanently until -if ever - the game gets toddlers period. Sims have no romance, no relationships outside of becoming friends as my goal as apparently this is the way Maxis wants us to play their game. Let's see what happens...

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I like your idea, OP, as well as the idea given by another poster that allows us to determine who does and doesn't get culled when we get the notification. I hope this comes soon. I haven't been able to get into the game as is.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Culling is not a "necessary" evil. it shouldn't even have been coded into the game. I never had an issue with it in Sims 2, and I'm not sure if there is a limit in Sims 3, since I've only populated the world I play with my created sims.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    anettesb wrote: »
    I don't want culling at all...don't give them ideas

Yea drop the culling, or Atleast let us set the Max population.... so it can be higer if our pc can handle it

I would love for them to fix the culling. However, the max population set at 180 doesn't seem to affect whether Sims are culled in my game or not. I only have 113 in one save and Sims are here today and gone in the morning. It really wouldn't stop anything as far as I can see right now.

Since I posted the amount of how many Sims (total count) in one save I played the count is now down to 77 total Sims in the played and unplayed, in world, not in world totals. The game is literally eating up my town.
  • Options
    I don't know guys if you all have seen this thread I started.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/852512/half-of-my-unplayed-households-were-culled/p1

A guru has replied there also but I am not happy with the response because it was made sound as if it is an individual problem. I think the gurus are not playing the game enough to know the severity of the culling mechanic they have created.

the 180 sims cap screams OLYMPUS!!!!!!!!!
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/852512/half-of-my-unplayed-households-were-culled/p1

A guru has replied there also but I am not happy with the response because it was made sound as if it is an individual problem. I think the gurus are not playing the game enough to know the severity of the culling mechanic they have created.

I honestly think the culling was a quick shoe horn feature after the online to offline decision was made. Like "we don't have to worry about servers anymore and real people filling up the worlds, but how are we going to keep our Olympus sized worlds working in an offline game? Culling! Brilliant!" Dumbest decisions they could have made for the Sims 4 are the world designs and the culling. It's pretty sad when a 10 year old game can handle population growth better.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SharkDOSharkDO Posts: 252 Member
    In general I just wish they would add more stories to the game.
    "I'm a Simmer, not a gamer. I feel like my frustration with the game and the reason I don't "get it" is more about a disconnection and confusion with the vision...I'm worried about the future of the franchise."
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I installed the No Culling Mod the very second that culling affected my gameplay. I actually completely wiped an entire legacy family because the two founders' ghosts were culled! Right after they died!! Who does this?!

Do you know what the culling of the ghost from a tombstone or urn means? It means they can't mourn at it. The tombstone/urn becomes what is essentially a decoration object and you can't really interact with it. Things like that for a legacy file, or even a family-oriented file, are heartwrenching.

This culling madness needs to stop. Rather, it either needs to stop, or there needs to be an option available to let people choose whether or not they want culling to happen in their towns.
  • Options
    @Writin_Reg If Lyndsay no longer considers alternate life states a Sim tradition why would they consider ghosts as important? The longer I'm exposed to this game the more upsetting it gets.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Yea drop the culling, or Atleast let us set the Max population.... so it can be higer if our pc can handle it

I would love for them to fix the culling. However, the max population set at 180 doesn't seem to affect whether Sims are culled in my game or not. I only have 113 in one save and Sims are here today and gone in the morning. It really wouldn't stop anything as far as I can see right now.

Since I posted the amount of how many Sims (total count) in one save I played the count is now down to 77 total Sims in the played and unplayed, in world, not in world totals. The game is literally eating up my town.

Cinnabar - it is not per world it is per all the worlds - that is what is so insane. I did not even have but about 13o sims - 16 of mine in all the worlds totaled and it culled out the two sims I had played previous to my present with in a 3 day period. I played the scientist first. The next day a detective, and the third I was setting up to try the doctor. His social was down so I went to call his BFF - she is gone from his phone. He had just spent the whole day with her the day before as she hung out with him - and then she is gone the next evening. I figured okay maybe they disappear from the phone if they are at work. I checked for the next 3 sims days - no signs of her. I go to manage household - and surprise no plumbob showing on her house. When I left it to go to this house it had a green plumbob; in neighborhood view it says the house is ready to move a sim into. Well gee, I sort of liked the sims I had living there. Then I see the detective home also empty . The game just culled 3 of the only 4 sims I have played in this brand new game. It was also my first time playing GTW on top of it.

I too first thought it was 180 per world - but all the sims are listed as one map - and that limit is apparently the entire map. That world I was in that just got all my sims culled had 16 sims total moved in - period. No other sims. It was New Crest.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2015

Actually there would not be culling on an online game - as the online sims games only allowed you one house and one sim to start with. You also had to earn more sims in game, but never more than the one house and the last one I played allowed 4 adults Max. The Sims were just the adults - no other stages of life.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Cinnabar - it is not per world it is per all the worlds - that is what is so insane. I did not even have but about 13o sims - 16 of mine in all the worlds totaled and it culled out the two sims I had played previous to my present with in a 3 day period. I played the scientist first. The next day a detective, and the third I was setting up to try the doctor. His social was down so I went to call his BFF - she is gone from his phone. He had just spent the whole day with her the day before as she hung out with him - and then she is gone the next evening. I figured okay maybe they disappear from the phone if they are at work. I checked for the next 3 sims days - no signs of her. I go to manage household - and surprise no plumbob showing on her house. When I left it to go to this house it had a green plumbob; nor it says the house is ready to move a sim into. Well gee, I sort of liked the sims I had living there. Then I see the detective home also empty . The game just culled 3 of the only 4 sims I have played in this brand new game. It was also my first time playing GTW on top of it.

I too first thought it was 180 per world - but all the sims are listed as one map - and that limit is apparently the entire map. That world I was in that just got all my sims culled had 16 sims total moved in - period. No other sims. It was New Crest.

So this is why I added 4 Sims to a new game, played aout 4 hours and the culling started? By that logic every time they add a neighborhood the culling will get worse?

• Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    I installed the No Culling Mod the very second that culling affected my gameplay. I actually completely wiped an entire legacy family because the two founders' ghosts were culled! Right after they died!! Who does this?!

Do you know what the culling of the ghost from a tombstone or urn means? It means they can't mourn at it. The tombstone/urn becomes what is essentially a decoration object and you can't really interact with it. Things like that for a legacy file, or even a family-oriented file, are heartwrenching.

This culling madness needs to stop. Rather, it either needs to stop, or there needs to be an option available to let people choose whether or not they want culling to happen in their towns.

Agree
    an maybe even a set your own Max population... if culling is on.....

But I would play with it off
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    They should just make it so that who ever your currently played Sims and their family come in contact with, whether it's the beginnings of an acquaintanceship or a long time love you're not ready to commit to yet, they won't be culled out.

If your saves start to get too big, like if you're playing generations and your Sims know too many people and starts to slow your game down, I like the idea of having a dialogue come up: "Travis is ready to uproot his roots and mosey to a new town. Should he go?" Yes to keep him No to send him packing. This dialogue could happen every few days or so depending how many need to be culled. The respective Sim calls your Sim asking if they should leave or stay. That way you get to choose who's important to your Sim's story. Kinda like how you get called for Dates and Party invites.

What else would be good, like someone mentioned, is if you could manually set a culling number. After, say you set it to 30, and your family knows 30 people the dialogue will start popping up.

Cuz I make townie friends and forget about them to fill requirements. Some I don't care too much about and some I'd like to keep. I mean, it seems simple enough, no?? I'm sure a lot of generational players would love it that way. *shrugs* Just a thought.
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @Writin_Reg If Lyndsay no longer considers alternate life states a Sim tradition why would they consider ghosts as important? The longer I'm exposed to this game the more upsetting it gets.

I am sure it was a group decision - split between all the heads - but really if they felt they were that important I would have thought they would have been in the game when we got it. Remember all the add on - returned missing content ' was just like they pulled with Sims City and suddenly gave people the single offline version that they swore up and down was not possible in that game - when the people went nuts. That is the only reason we have ghosts and pools is because of the outrage. Apparently we are not outraged enough yet to get toddlers. It was obvious it was not planned out - otherwise they would not be being looked at by the games AI as NPCs but would be as usual - special characters. Special characters have never been culled - like Grimmy - like old Mrs Crumplebottom etc. The ghosts are supposed to have totally separate programming exclusively just for them as the generally can be put anywhere, are controlled with the Mausoleum in one stage and controlled or vanished by the player in their second stage. They are the only character that had Resurrection among other programming. NONE of any of the previous programming in ghost in Sims 4 ones. They were an attempt to calm the ranting.

JUst like many things we complain of it is they were not a part of the Vision for Sims 4. I honestly am losing hope that Sims 4 will ever measure up to any of the previous sims games. How they think it makes things right doing what they said they wouldn't do - shoe horning them in - makes no sense.

Also knowing how agreeable Lyndsay has seemed all these years - I am pretty sure she just went along with the "vision". I don't think she is they type of person who stands her ground and fights. I heard she is very mellow and nice, she likes to get along and not buck the system or her co-workers.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    They should just make it so that who ever your currently played Sims and their family come in contact with, whether it's the beginnings of an acquaintanceship or a long time love you're not ready to commit to yet, they won't be culled out.

If your saves start to get too big, like if you're playing generations and your Sims know too many people and starts to slow your game down, I like the idea of having a dialogue come up: "Travis is ready to uproot his roots and mosey to a new town. Should he go?" Yes to keep him No to send him packing. This dialogue could happen every few days or so depending how many need to be culled. The respective Sim calls your Sim asking if they should leave or stay. That way you get to choose who's important to your Sim's story. Kinda like how you get called for Dates and Party invites.

What else would be good, like someone mentioned, is if you could manually set a culling number. After, say you set it to 30, and your family knows 30 people the dialogue will start popping up.

Cuz I make townie friends and forget about them to fill requirements. Some I don't care too much about and some I'd like to keep. I mean, it seems simple enough, no?? I'm sure a lot of generational players would love it that way. *shrugs* Just a thought.

Well according to what the Guru's keep saying culling is just supposed to happen to homeless unplayed Sims - which is why I was so shocked by what happen and started looking for my sims. I though maybe the sims decided to move out of their house and in with some other household. I recall we had an issue like that for a while early during Sims 3 with our sims - so I went looking. But checked every house under manage households and sims were gone. They were gone from my sims phone, and the worlds period. But if the game is programmed to not cull played sims to start with - how did this happen?

I have deleted the saves, reset the folder completely - I re-added just sims in my library and lots in same. I have started redoing New Crest again. Was going to restart each of the sims from being new again, as they were new to start with, and will be trying it one more time. If it does it again. This game is going out my window. Quite frankly I have taken about all I am going to take from the insanity that is Sims 4. I have wasted an entire year trying to play this game. Tried every thing I could think of seeing they vanquished my entire play style as it is - but this is like the end of a very long rope of frustration and my nerves are as frayed as they can stand. Fun recreation my eye! This is not fun.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Cinnabar - it is not per world it is per all the worlds - that is what is so insane. I did not even have but about 13o sims - 16 of mine in all the worlds totaled and it culled out the two sims I had played previous to my present with in a 3 day period. I played the scientist first. The next day a detective, and the third I was setting up to try the doctor. His social was down so I went to call his BFF - she is gone from his phone. He had just spent the whole day with her the day before as she hung out with him - and then she is gone the next evening. I figured okay maybe they disappear from the phone if they are at work. I checked for the next 3 sims days - no signs of her. I go to manage household - and surprise no plumbob showing on her house. When I left it to go to this house it had a green plumbob; in neighborhood view it says the house is ready to move a sim into. Well gee, I sort of liked the sims I had living there. Then I see the detective home also empty . The game just culled 3 of the only 4 sims I have played in this brand new game. It was also my first time playing GTW on top of it.

Thats correct, culling and the 180 sims cap is applicable on all worlds and all the sims are counted towards the 180 cap (played and non played, living and dead, working or unemployed)

Whoever have made the decision to have this aggressive culling in this game he for sure is not suitable to be working on a sims game. This is not how you make it unless you are selling your customer something and you will run away from him and he will never see you again. What were they thinking?

The more EPs are added, the more worlds are added the faster the sims will get culled. This is a good excuse not to buy more EPs and I see this as a bigger and valid excuse for someone to boycott the Sims 4 if he still did not buy the game. Whoever wants to buy the base game should not buy it now as it is broken and if the price is attractive below $10 then if he buys it he should not play it until they fix this mess.
    giphy.gif