Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Don't They Try To Bring Back The Sims Online?

LaefayrLaefayr Posts: 2 New Member
Out of all The Sims games I've ever played, there was no experience like The Sims Online. They try to say "Share your moments! Show off your creations!" etc. But you could never actually play with other people. The friend balloons and enemy balloons, or the in-game professions that people gave themselves like being the head of running a romance house or being an architect. With all the new technology that they have out there they could make a beautiful second edition of The Sims Online! What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Yes I didnt know about TSO until 2012 when it was shut off and I think more people would play this game today if it was remastered
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    probably cause it's too hard & too expensive to make it
    & cause the most simmers aren't interested to play that way & therefore
    the game wouldn't be successful enough to pay the costs of the development
    The FB Sims game wasn't successful enough, as so many other tryouts to branch out The Sims,
    the only successful version other than the computer one is the tablet F2P
    i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Because it's a niche market. When fans heard the rumors The Sims 4 was going to be a game for the iPad and an MMO they went off and told EA no. This game was intended to be an MMO (The Sims 4 Olympus) with gaining experience in areas where you had to spend your 'experience' to get more experience in other areas etc. Like Romance. You spent some points in other areas to gain experience in things like romance or whatever.

Though Maxis and Will Wright have wanted a very successful MMO or 'Online' game since the beginning, I don't think most fans do.

For one thing Maxis tried this with a monthly fee, Simmers don't want to pay monthly fees, I don't know why when they will pay it for other MMOs but not The Sims. Since the long time players are against the idea and won't buy it, or pay it, then you have to look for a new niche market. Take the Sims Free To Play players for instance. Do you think it would be possible to now get those people to actually pay for the game and perhaps pay to play, too? I doubt that. They sometimes don't spend a dime while playing even to get something they want in game.

Something has to foot the bill for the huge servers if they did make a game again involving mmo.

And the problem with TSO was it was a grind fest. Players of the PC series don't like any type of grind and you often hear stories even years ago they put the game speed on ultra when the Sim had to skill to get a promotion. This is exactly what they did if they played they TSO.

They would get in groups to skill (the more the faster it went) and leave the game so no one could actually interact with them since they weren't even really there controlling the Sims.

Then Maxis learned there was the Sims' Mafia. Groups of Simmers going around making other players dance to their tune. It was hard for them to moderate due to the type of MMO it was. And a person named Jean who worked on the TSO wrote a very long article explaining how they actually failed with the TSO. Because you have to have something to do in a game like that and it became a grind fest. Let alone a place to bully others, and or to foil the plans of other less popular players who knew nothing about the Sims Mafia or the cliques that formed within the community just like on these forums.

I can see they could do co op successfully, maybe, but they would have to stay away from the grind fest mistakes of the past, but not another TSO.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LBDXLBDX Posts: 382 Member
    The Sims Online is a lot like communism. It's a really good idea in theory that doesn't work so well in practice.
    I played TSO while it was out, and I was really excited to try it. The biggest problem was speed. We're so used to being able to speed up and slow down speed, but when you are playing with other people, you can't really do that.
    So let's say you wanted to learn a skill, like painting, you'd be sitting there watching a sim try and learn a skill for 30 minutes. Not a sim 30 minutes, your 30 minutes. I decided pretty early on that I'd rather travel around and meet people. The majority of the people online just wanted to WooHoo with one another, and I don't think it'd be any different today. A lot of people created what were basically whorehouses. It became a place that was relatively uncomfortable for a lot of people.
    I love the idea of being able to play The Sims online with other people, but they'd have to do it very differently this time around, and it would require a staff of people just to monitor the ins and outs of the servers every day. The bugs, the connectivity, the people, all of that.
    CyXin77.gif
    American in Canada. Spoon rest enthusiast.
    Origin ID: texeganjane
    How to fix miscellaneous bugs in your Sims 4 game, here!
  • Options
    thewatcheruatuthewatcheruatu Posts: 295 Member
    LBDX wrote: »
    The Sims Online is a lot like communism. It's a really good idea in theory that doesn't work so well in practice.
    Honestly, I don't even think it's a good idea in theory. I played around with TSO when it released--or maybe it was Beta, I'm not sure (I actually had a minor job at EA at the time)--and thought it was dreadful. Clearly, mileage may vary, but there's a reason it was a huge flop for the company.

• Options
    youcrAzy13youcrAzy13 Posts: 213 Member
    money money money money.
    Always and forever, Alyssa Edwards
    bibbby%20b.gif
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    How many failed attempts at online games will EA make?

SimsOnline, SimsSocial, SimsBustinOut...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »

Bustin' Out wasn't an online game.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    howsimlish wrote: »
    Zolt65 wrote: »

Bustin' Out wasn't an online game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_Bustin'_Out

The PlayStation 2 version once featured the option to play online, however, it was shut down August 1, 2008,
    the same day The Sims Online shut down.

Exclusive to the PlayStation 2 version featured a free online play called "Online Weekend" which was very similar to The Sims Online.
    This mode allowed you to play both free play and story mode with other players and chat using the USB keyboard on the PS2.
    The server for the game shut down on August 1, 2008, the same day The Sims Online shutdown,
    which rendered the game impossible to play online.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    I hope they don't. I beta tested, it was wonderful, but when it went live, the worms came out of the woodwork. It just went badly each year getting worse. Sorry I loved it don't get me wrong. But some of what I saw on there, I hope I never see again.
  • Options
    LostInReverieLostInReverie Posts: 55 Member
    Sims just doesn't lend itself well to being an online game for the problems already mentioned above. I really don't mind not having a Sims Online.
  • Options
    ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    They should just make multi-player with your origin friends a thing *nods* I'd buy into that :3
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited March 2015
    My problem with a TSO style game is that ultimately, they always become dating sims. Any time your sim grows up and wants a mate to make a family with, you have to have a second person to play with. Now, as an mmo player, I've learned that there are many many unstable people in the world...Putting them in a situation where my sim has to date them spells out stalker time to me.. *shudder*

**edited because I'm a horrid speller and had to fix the ones I could find.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    savkethekingsavketheking Posts: 184 Member
    i would like for the sims 4 to make a co op option where you can go to your friends's save game or vice versa and play and chat in real time.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I'd still love a TSO, but I am in the minority and don't expect to ever see it again. I had a blast while it lasted, though. Met a lot of great people all over the world and laughed my butt off. Good memories.
  • Options
    thewatcheruatuthewatcheruatu Posts: 295 Member
    Well, since we're still talking about this, the one thing that I do think would be pretty neat is if you could specify online friends and as a result, you would see their Sims occasionally turn up as townies in your game.

This is somewhat along the lines of what was done in Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor, where Uruk nemeses from players on, say, your Steam friends list (or just random players if you don't have friends playing the game) would appear in your game as Vendetta missions. Really neat feature that didn't really intrude on the way you chose to play the game, but it made you feel connected to other people playing at the same time as you.
  • Options
    fruitchew87fruitchew87 Posts: 114 Member
    I'd still love a TSO, but I am in the minority and don't expect to ever see it again. I had a blast while it lasted, though. Met a lot of great people all over the world and laughed my butt off. Good memories.

I too am one of those people who had an amazing time playing this game. Yes, there are a lot of weirdos out there in the world, but I would hope that enough people know by now how to ignore the crazies and not give out personal info... but there will always be those who do anyways.

I miss TSO pretty badly, and there are a lot of people out there that want it back. Not on this forum, however. I love the offline games as well, but TSO was it's own thing- a completely different game in its own right. The graphics became outdated, and I believe that when they started working on TS2 they started realizing how limited TSO really was. Just my theory.

Keep them separate, keep them sacred :)

Or optional... optional is good too.
    Visit my YouTube channel for my Let's Plays and Build videos <3

FreeSO, it's happening.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2015
    The Sims Online already exist, its name is... Second Life :p

I don't want to see a "EA-Land 2: Money eater" based on SimCity (2013) bad experience.
  • Options
    JodiPMJodiPM Posts: 496 Member
    @LeGardePourpre Yes, but most people get frustrated with SL...lol (I'm a long time SL player. Been in SL since 2004).

As for TSO, I beta tested it and loved it until it went live. Sometimes I miss TSO and wish there was a multiplayer option but can you imagine how buggy it would be? Honestly I'm not sure it would be that popular.
    Live, love, Laugh and forget the drama queens.