Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4, what a rip off.

After excitedly waiting for the Sims 4, expecting an amazing new version of the Sims 3, I have to say, I was so disappointed. After a few times playing the new game, it felt like the game was taken in a different direction. The same feeling that I got from the Sims 3 is just not there anymore, especially since the open world map is gone. It feels all claustrophobic again. The graphics are awesome and the ease of building houses and the multitasking for Sims is awesome, but there's a lot of that old feel play gone. And so many glitches! And not to mention taking things that make it feel like real life ,out. Who takes the toddler stage of aging out? Why make it so you can't even carry a baby around anymore and don't bother making a baby's room because there is no baby stuff. Where did create-a-style go? Why is there no dishwasher, washer and dryer? I understand that it's probably coming in future expansion packs, but it feels like they started with too little for the Sims 4 base game. Why can't you select who owns the beds? Super unrealistic careers? No locking doors anymore? Are there even burglars anymore? No repair man? The tiny one dimensional main map with two crappy towns and hardly anything to do there? Even the towns in the Sims 1 were bigger! I understand that there were too many glitches in the Sims 3 and there were very few Sims that would even show up in the town because of loading issues, but going back to the closed up world again feels like a step backwards. I am a big Sims fan and have been playing it obsessively since the first one and every time there was a new version made, there was always more good added then bad. This time, it feels like they made a mistake and it's so disappointing. I still have faith that the new expansions and patches will make this game more playable, but as for now, I'm going back to the Sims 3 where I can enjoy a real Sims game. XO

Comments

• Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    ...lies

• Options
    kwakeham87kwakeham87 Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks guys, nice to hear a response from people so quick! And CowPlantForHire, I totally feel the love. I'm gonna give it a rest until some better patches and expansions come out. It's so annoying. I'm becoming a interior designer too, so the sims 3 has so many more design options with the color wheel and the create a style.
  • Options
    kwakeham87kwakeham87 Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Andygal said:
    > Welcome to the forums! May I suggest you come over to the "family play" thread in the feedback forum, you'll find a ton of friendly people who enjoy previous versions of the Sims and are disappointed with the new one.

Hey ya, I'll join the family play forum. I love old Sims games :)
  • Options
    naniminnananiminna Posts: 463 Member
    I see what you are saying. I agree with quite a few things you said, the elimination of toddlers being one of them. That being said, I actually find that I enjoy the emotion system in the game. I think that is something that should be kept. I would like it if the map become an open world, and we could freely roam around, but The Sims 3 had so many glitches that I honestly have yet to return to the Sims 3 since the Sims 4 came out. (Of course, although I bought it on release day, I didn't start playing til January...but I just wasn't gaming then.)

I think if nothing else, I really do miss the stuff that came with the Sims 3 itemwise, and not really so much the repairman or burglars. (though it took like a bajillion stuffpacks, expansions, cc, and store content to get it all.) I agree about the locking the doors, choosing beds. That annoys me too. Over all though, I am satisfied with the game thus far, and hope future patches will improve these issues, you know?
  • Options
    RelivingmyYouthRelivingmyYouth Posts: 13 New Member
    I'm still on the fence about The Sims 4. I do really like the emotional aspect of the game, and I love that i'm still discovering unique actions that related directly to the emotion. I also don't miss the open world of TS3. TS3 was so difficult to run and the graphics were so poor as I had to run it on such a low setting to just get it to work without freezing so often. I spent my early teenage years playing TS2 and I think to this day that was my favourite day, so for me TS4 feels a little like a return to that kind of gaming, and I'll just have to be patient and wait for more expansion packs to get to the point that I was at when playing TS2.

Having said all that there are plenty of aspects i'm disappointed with. I didn't think i'd miss the toddler life stage, but now i've been playing for a week or so (i've got a mac...) i've realised they are an important life stage for building family relationships if nothing else. The neighbourhood itself is also disappointing... There were only a couple of available lots to place families!

I'm going to continue playing (as TS2 won't run on my mac...) and i'm really hoping things improve with expansion packs. As a side note, something really impressive is CAS. I've never been able to make my sims look so specific before, which I think is a really valuable addition to the game! :smiley:
  • Options
    xBlackDragon7xxBlackDragon7x Posts: 173 Member
    ya we are all hopeing with expansions it becomes the greatest sim game to date i really hope they bring back toddlers & all the family play stuff as well as seasons & generations or something similar to story progression i think the new EP coming in april will add much needed life to the game.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    waiting for the fanboys in 3...2...1...

:p

I like the game but I came into this thread to see what it was about the game the OP didn't like so I could either offer a solution or give my commiserations. By your definition does that make me a "fanboy" as well?

Why do I even bother posting here anymore? It isn't like I feel welcome here these days or anything.
    kwakeham87 wrote: »
    After excitedly waiting for the Sims 4, expecting an amazing new version of the Sims 3, I have to say, I was so disappointed. After a few times playing the new game, it felt like the game was taken in a different direction. The same feeling that I got from the Sims 3 is just not there anymore, especially since the open world map is gone. It feels all claustrophobic again. The graphics are awesome and the ease of building houses and the multitasking for Sims is awesome, but there's a lot of that old feel play gone. And so many glitches! And not to mention taking things that make it feel like real life ,out. Who takes the toddler stage of aging out? Why make it so you can't even carry a baby around anymore and don't bother making a baby's room because there is no baby stuff. Where did create-a-style go? Why is there no dishwasher, washer and dryer? I understand that it's probably coming in future expansion packs, but it feels like they started with too little for the Sims 4 base game. Why can't you select who owns the beds? Super unrealistic careers? No locking doors anymore? Are there even burglars anymore? No repair man? The tiny one dimensional main map with two crappy towns and hardly anything to do there? Even the towns in the Sims 1 were bigger! I understand that there were too many glitches in the Sims 3 and there were very few Sims that would even show up in the town because of loading issues, but going back to the closed up world again feels like a step backwards. I am a big Sims fan and have been playing it obsessively since the first one and every time there was a new version made, there was always more good added then bad. This time, it feels like they made a mistake and it's so disappointing. I still have faith that the new expansions and patches will make this game more playable, but as for now, I'm going back to the Sims 3 where I can enjoy a real Sims game. XO

It's a shame you feel that way. I hope you're able to get your money back on the game / pass it on to someone who will enjoy it.

I'm fortunate in that I haven't encountered many bugs or glitches in my game so far. It's probably related more to my play style though rather than the fact they're just not there. Like you say TS3 had many bugs and glitches too - a lot of them did happen in my game and it took 3rd party mods to address them because the developers seemed more interested (or were being forced) to sell overpriced plum on the store. I think at this point (and it's absolutely rubbish to say so) but we as simmers unfortunately need to accept that while EA are holding the reigns of this game it is going to be broken and bugged. That's EA for you.

TS4's UI and controls do take a bit of getting used to but I've found they're a lot more flexible than in previous games. Then again I'm the kind of derp who'll spend ages building a naff-looking house only to realize I forgot to put in a bathroom or leave room for stairs.

The tiny map in TS4 is quite jarring. When I first saw it I was all "...is this it?" and it really put me off as well. Not because it was closed or even how the UI looked but just because it was so small. When I jumped into the game I was honestly expecting to get bored in about half an hour like I used to with TS3 but to my own surprise I ended up playing for hours. The world is small and there is no getting around that, people who liked to build or hop between lots of different sims are going to have a bad time because there's just not the space there to be able to do it. Similarly to Sim City with their tiny city sizes you can fill up a neighbourhood very quickly and then have no more space. For some reason though I get a lot of entertainment out of that little world, though I do hope EA make it bigger as time goes on.
    Post edited by Darkslayer on
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    waiting for the fanboys in 3...2...1... :p
    I like the game but I came into this thread to see what it was about the game the OP didn't like so I could either offer a solution or give my commiserations. Does by your definition does that make me a "fanboy" as well?

Why do I even bother posting here anymore? It isn't like I feel welcome here these days or anything.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, it's not nice to be called a fanboy, just like it's not nice to be called a hater.

Why don't you go ahead and offer the OP some solutions? I'd be interested to read your point of view.

I do like some aspects of the game myself, but I find it too lacking to be able to play it for long. Sadly, I can't see any way of making it more enjoyable for myself until EA adds in the most vital of the missing things.

• Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    waiting for the fanboys in 3...2...1...

:p

I like the game but I came into this thread to see what it was about the game the OP didn't like so I could either offer a solution or give my commiserations. Does by your definition does that make me a "fanboy" as well?

Just gotta duck and weave through the senseless negativity/blind devotion really - plenty of good threads to discuss in thankfully.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2015

The sims 1 base game town was not bigger.

Washers and dryers came in an Expansion for TS3.

TS3 has more glitches than the Sims 4 from what I've seen.

TS4 feels more like real life than TS3, in TS4 you can even take pregancy tests.

The unrealistic careers I can agree for the most part BUT, doctor, police and scientist careers are coming in GTW as active careers which I prefer this way, with the respective workplaces.

They have been puitting missing content that we so need in patches like they did with ghosts, pools, 2 new careers (business and atlhetic) and the family trees., here is hope for toddlers, basements (which didn't came with TS3 base game either) and locking doors in future patches.

And last, everyone as their own opinion, I'm sorry you are disapointed, I like the game much much more than TS3.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    waiting for the fanboys in 3...2...1... :p

I'm sorry you feel that way, it's not nice to be called a fanboy, just like it's not nice to be called a hater.

Why don't you go ahead and offer the OP some solutions? I'd be interested to read your point of view.

I do like some aspects of the game myself, but I find it too lacking to be able to play it for long. Sadly, I can't see any way of making it more enjoyable for myself until EA adds in the most vital of the missing things.

I've edited my post, but looking at the OPs problems with the game there isn't really a solution I can think of that would make them enjoy it anymore. I've kind of done a "my perspective" thing simply as a viewpoint from the other side, but I totally get where they're coming from and I think trying to bring themselves to like the game in the current state it's in would be a waste.

TS4 seems to be like Marmite:- you either love it or you hate it ;)

Edit: There is something I've grown quite curious about actually, I'm going to put this in my own thread rather than bringing it here and derailing the OPs but I'd be really interested to know how many people who felt the same way towards TS3 that I did have ended up loving TS4.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    I'm going back to the Sims 3 where I can enjoy a real Sims game. XO

I'm sorry the Sims 4 did not live up to your expectations. Fortunately we still have a thriving Sims 3 forum and lots of simmers still participating. :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I agree with the OP, welcome to the forums, you are not alone! :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    After excitedly waiting for the Sims 4, expecting an amazing new version of the Sims 3, I have to say, I was so disappointed.

Think of it as an amazing new version of Sims 1, so lets call it Sims 1.2 and you will be amazed!

You might think im being facetious, but im not really. This game has nothing in common with Sims 3 or even 2, but a lot in common with Sims 1. Very similar style of town layout, no story progression to speak of which makes it good for rotational play, no toddlers. Its really nothing like Sims 3 at all, and this is where we are going wrong in our expectations. This is Sims 1 reloaded, bigger and better. I like it, I don't love it yet but I do like it.
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    After excitedly waiting for the Sims 4, expecting an amazing new version of the Sims 3, I have to say, I was so disappointed.

Think of it as an amazing new version of Sims 1, so lets call it Sims 1.2 and you will be amazed!

You might think im being facetious, but im not really. This game has nothing in common with Sims 3 or even 2, but a lot in common with Sims 1. Very similar style of town layout, no story progression to speak of which makes it good for rotational play, no toddlers. Its really nothing like Sims 3 at all, and this is where we are going wrong in our expectations. This is Sims 1 reloaded, bigger and better. I like it, I don't love it yet but I do like it.

Sims 1 had no aging (that came only with Sims 2 ... in Sim 1 you were still eternally caught in a single life stage, unless "accidents" happened and you died by them)
    Maybe therefore one could call it rather a successor of Sims 2, but with a lot of realism cut out and Multitasking, Auto Aging and Emotions put in
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Proteus42 wrote: »

Sims 1 had no aging (that came only with Sims 2 ... in Sim 1 you were still eternally caught in a single life stage, unless "accidents" happened and you died by them)
    Maybe therefore one could call it rather a successor of Sims 2, but with a lot of realism cut out and Multitasking, Auto Aging and Emotions put in
    TS2 should be TS4's successor.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Proteus42 wrote: »

TS2 should be TS4's successor.

If they took Sims 2 (with its expansions) and just would put a good story progression into it (so that Sims in not played households age and act on their own (with beginning romantic relationships, progressing in careers, giving birth and raising kids and so on) I would buy it :D