Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4, what a rip off.

Comments

• Options
    CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    I know I have said this before, but I really wish people would stop saying the game will be great after more expansions. I already paid $70 for this game, I do not want to now give EA MORE money so it will maybe be fun. I'm sorry, $70 is a huge amount of money, it should be fun as it is.

TS4 is so broken for me I can't even play it. The game has several times frozen to the point my computer needs to be restarted. I cannot collect, I cannot build and decorate, there is no where to go in the game except the bar - AGAIN - and there is a 40 second loading screen to go to the house next door. How much more money do I have to spend before that becomes 'fun'?

TS3 didn't need expansions to be fun. Dragon Age didn't need expansions to be fun. Baldur's Gate, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, none of these needed expansions to be fun. PLEASE stop saying TS4 for will be fun with more expansions.

tumblr_m85bw9fGtf1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    I know I have said this before, but I really wish people would stop saying the game will be great after more expansions. I already paid $70 for this game, I do not want to now give EA MORE money so it will maybe be fun. I'm sorry, $70 is a huge amount of money, it should be fun as it is.

TS4 is so broken for me I can't even play it. The game has several times frozen to the point my computer needs to be restarted. I cannot collect, I cannot build and decorate, there is no where to go in the game except the bar - AGAIN - and there is a 40 second loading screen to go to the house next door. How much more money do I have to spend before that becomes 'fun'?

TS3 didn't need expansions to be fun. Dragon Age didn't need expansions to be fun. Baldur's Gate, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, none of these needed expansions to be fun. PLEASE stop saying TS4 for will be fun with more expansions.

I'd argue TS3 did need expansions. In my opinion as a base game it was a lot more bare bones in terms of actual gameplay and interactions than TS2 was - hence why EA even had to do a Generations expansion in the first place.

Other than that I do agree. I love TS4 as it is and I can see the potential for it to get even better as more and more content comes out for it, but if you don't like the base game then there's really not much point investing more money into something. I made that mistake and I've told myself this time that as soon as TS4 no longer becomes fun to play I'm ducking out.
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member

There still is the chance that they improve it drastically with free patches (for example with regards to story progression or Toddlers or the Sims emotions towards death of friends) ... at the moment they are still putting a lot of missing content into their free patches ofor the base game, so it seems like Sims 4 might still change considerably, without you having to buy a single EP
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Proteus42 wrote: »

There still is the chance that they improve it drastically with free patches (for example with regards to story progression or Toddlers or the Sims emotions towards death of friends) ... at the moment they are still putting a lot of missing content into their free patches ofor the base game, so it seems like Sims 4 might still change considerably, without you having to buy a single EP

I do love that they are doing that, I give them a great deal of credit. And if they can fix the problem with the collection spawners never coming back, add CASt, and fix the game breaking glitches and crashes, I will probably be right back with my wallet open. I think I will always hate the closed world, though, the loading screen time makes me reluctant to even leave my lot.

For now I have gone back to TS3. I uninstalled it all and reinstalled just the base game for comparison, and I am having just as much fun with it as it did all those years ago when it first came out. There just is no comparison; for me TS3 base is fantastic, TS4 base is unplayable.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    this is a "simmer" like problem, looks like simmers in most of the case are a "special" type of customers which don't care for quality in the game, many you can just get a wood stick name it sims and sell like the most awesome thing in the world which many of then will like, then later sell some leaf because stick is not enough, then later sell some flowers.

well sims games seens like a "pay to play" type of game unlike 80 to 90 of games from game market where all you need is the base game to play full and exp and others stuffs are really "option" or not something to be buying every month or 6 months or whatever, is something which really disturb me the lack of self pride of many peoples which this "will be great when buy x" a game must be great now, like dragon age, you dont need a exp to make the game great they are supposed to increase what already good not make good or awesome, i never see in any other place that sort of logic only here in the simmer commumity, this "pay to play".

a game must be great or good for itself and dont need expansions for that this is a AE philosophy which some peoples happy embrace because they dont care in "throw money to ea" this remember me a user signature with peoples throwing money to ea because they feel this is "how to complain".
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    this is a "simmer" like problem, looks like simmers in most of the case are a "special" type of customers which don't care for quality in the game, many you can just get a wood stick name it sims and sell like the most awesome thing in the world which many of then will like, then later sell some leaf because stick is not enough, then later sell some flowers.

well sims games seens like a "pay to play" type of game unlike 80 to 90 of games from game market where all you need is the base game to play full and exp and others stuffs are really "option" or not something to be buying every month or 6 months or whatever, is something which really disturb me the lack of self pride of many peoples which this "will be great when buy x" a game must be great now, like dragon age, you dont need a exp to make the game great they are supposed to increase what already good not make good or awesome, i never see in any other place that sort of logic only here in the simmer commumity, this "pay to play".

a game must be great or good for itself and dont need expansions for that this is a AE philosophy which some peoples happy embrace because they dont care in "throw money to ea" this remember me a user signature with peoples throwing money to ea because they feel this is "how to complain".

I hope you're not trying to suggest I would buy a wood stick named The Sims just because it is called The Sims simply because I happen to enjoy TS4.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Proteus42 wrote: »
    kwakeham87 wrote: »
    After excitedly waiting for the Sims 4, expecting an amazing new version of the Sims 3, I have to say, I was so disappointed.

Think of it as an amazing new version of Sims 1, so lets call it Sims 1.2 and you will be amazed!

You might think im being facetious, but im not really. This game has nothing in common with Sims 3 or even 2, but a lot in common with Sims 1. Very similar style of town layout, no story progression to speak of which makes it good for rotational play, no toddlers. Its really nothing like Sims 3 at all, and this is where we are going wrong in our expectations. This is Sims 1 reloaded, bigger and better. I like it, I don't love it yet but I do like it.

Sims 1 had no aging (that came only with Sims 2 ... in Sim 1 you were still eternally caught in a single life stage, unless "accidents" happened and you died by them)
    Maybe therefore one could call it rather a successor of Sims 2, but with a lot of realism cut out and Multitasking, Auto Aging and Emotions put in
    TS2 should be TS4's successor.

It is, they are just 10 years apart and the predecessor came out 10 years later :neutral_face:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Gawdfather1Gawdfather1 Posts: 601 Member
    PLEASE stop saying TS4 for will be fun with more expansions.

Banners.jpg
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I'm sorry you do not enjoy sims 4, it is not for everyone. I do actually enjoy the game as well as sims 2, child of light, and dragon age. I hope you are able to find a game you do have fun with :smile:
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member

100% agreed. You know what's sad. Sims 1 base game, it didn't need expansions to be fun. I was playing it for several months on end non-stop when I finally did get an expansion it only added extras to the already immensely fun game. Sims 2 was fun by itself, and lasted me an incredibly long time before I added to it. Sims 3 was fun for many many months.

Games should be immensely fun as a base game, and can be fun with no expansions. Expansions should not be a crutch to make a game fun. Ever. TS4 is the only game in history that people say "It will be fun after a few expensions". Seriously? If a game is already crap, then all an expansion will do is add sparkles to the crap, but it will still be crap. I've had plenty of games that were fun without expansions. Warcraft 2 was crazy fun before its expansion. Starcraft was a huge success before it got an expansions. More recent titles? FFXIV after a realm reborn, it's got close to 3 million players now, and this year an expansion is due out. This game kept me hooked for a full year. I've only taken 1 month off of the game in all this time.

Bottom line: Games should never rely on expansions as a crutch. They should stand on their own. They should be immensely fun on their own. Previous sims titles stood on their own as base games without expansions. Sims 4 cannot stand on its own two feet. It is not a fun game. If I could return my copy for a full refund, I would. That is money I could actually use for something else. I was ripped off $70 I cannot get back. And that angers me to no end.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    nilanius wrote: »

100% agreed. You know what's sad. Sims 1 base game, it didn't need expansions to be fun. I was playing it for several months on end non-stop when I finally did get an expansion it only added extras to the already immensely fun game. Sims 2 was fun by itself, and lasted me an incredibly long time before I added to it. Sims 3 was fun for many many months.

Games should be immensely fun as a base game, and can be fun with no expansions. Expansions should not be a crutch to make a game fun. Ever. TS4 is the only game in history that people say "It will be fun after a few expensions". Seriously? If a game is already crap, then all an expansion will do is add sparkles to the crap, but it will still be crap. I've had plenty of games that were fun without expansions. Warcraft 2 was crazy fun before its expansion. Starcraft was a huge success before it got an expansions. More recent titles? FFXIV after a realm reborn, it's got close to 3 million players now, and this year an expansion is due out. This game kept me hooked for a full year. I've only taken 1 month off of the game in all this time.

Bottom line: Games should never rely on expansions as a crutch. They should stand on their own. They should be immensely fun on their own. Previous sims titles stood on their own as base games without expansions. Sims 4 cannot stand on its own two feet. It is not a fun game. If I could return my copy for a full refund, I would. That is money I could actually use for something else. I was ripped off $70 I cannot get back. And that angers me to no end.

I'm surprised how many people are forgetting how lacklustre TS3 was as a base game, unless it was only me who felt this way? I don't think TS3 could stand on it's own with just the base game alone and I seem to remember there were a lot of people who were disappointed by how "empty" the game felt after coming off TS2.

Not defending TS4 here because yeah, while I'm enjoying the game I also agree it can't stand on it's own for too long a period of time but to me this trend of releasing bare bones base games started with TS3 and not TS4.
  • Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited February 2015

In the interview Lindsay Pearson, the creative director for TS4 gave, she all but admitted point-blank that this was the business strategy from the beginning:

"How do we make sure there's a way to make money for your Sims? A way for them to excel and progress? A way for them to tell really interesting stories about who they are and who they met and how all those Sims interact? When we evaluate whether something's an expansion content or not, it has to do with that core of setting up that foundation. When you look at some of the things we've done with expansions in the past, we put in things like dance speheres or vampires. And those aren't really things you run into in your traditional day-in-the-life, and that's a great opportunity for us through expansions or game packs to give you a very themed and flavorful new slice of life."

Translation: They did just enough to get a (barely) playable game out the door for $70.00 and then said: "to hell with a complete game- we'll charge for that 🐸🐸🐸🐸."
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »

I'm surprised how many people are forgetting how lacklustre TS3 was as a base game, unless it was only me who felt this way? I don't think TS3 could stand on it's own with just the base game alone and I seem to remember there were a lot of people who were disappointed by how "empty" the game felt after coming off TS2.

Not defending TS4 here because yeah, while I'm enjoying the game I also agree it can't stand on it's own for too long a period of time but to me this trend of releasing bare bones base games started with TS3 and not TS4.

As I said, I played TS3 for a number of months before I got an expansion. And I think the first expansion I got was seasons. Overall, for me TS3 did last a good long time. Yeah I had a few issues with the load times, and the textures breaking constantly. But a lot of the issues, were programming issues, which modders fixed. Even still, TS3 could still stand on its own feet without the expansions. More so than TS4. TS4 rolled itself into the market in a bloody wheel chair, because the developers felt it was too hard, too expensive and not worth it to give it legs to stand on.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    blunderwoman727blunderwoman727 Posts: 102 Member
    The Sims3 base game was great for me! I hadn't played sims in a long time since high school when I used to go to a friend's house and played sims2...when I got the sims3. My boyfriend just randomly bought me the sims3 without telling me beforehand because he figured I'd like that sort of thing. He didn't even know that I had played any sims game before (so thoughtful!). When he got it I was so busy focusing on other things it took me a while to finally download it. When I did I loved it immediately, I stayed up ALL night playing the game. My boyfriend was shocked to find me still glued to my computer the next day playing the game.

The first thing I did when I got the game was have all my sims run around the neighborhood and dig randomly through trash cans. It was so fun and the world was so beautiful and open. I loved it! I remember standing outside the movie theatre and the restaurant and seeing other sims gather around there.

When I got the sims4 it was just loading screen after loading screen and within the first 5 minutes, it was like....that's it? That's why I even came on this board to begin with. I have never posted or been a part of any sims forum, but I was so blown away by how bad sims4 was that I had to create this profile just so I could post about my shock and disappointment.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2015

Not for me. Sims 3 basegame in fact took me by surprise, I never expected I'd even like it (it wasn't mine, it was my daughter's and she wanted me to try it out a bit). If it would have been Sims 4 she had handed me I would have finished playing quite soon and would have handed it back to her with a sweet motherly smile ;)
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited February 2015
    I really didn't start playing The Sims till Sims 2 I had Sims 1 and some expansions hated it but I really didn't get into it in depth either,it kinda bogged my computer down to,I had a crappy gateway desktop with Windows ME that broke all the time so that's probably why but anyway I was bored with Sims 2 base game after awhile but I felt that way with all base games till the expansion packs came out .Was I slightly disappointed with Sims 4 yes there was things I loved about Sims 3 that were missing from it.example open world that were gone didn't really do toddlers didn't think I'd miss them but after playing awhile I do miss them,but I'm sure they will be back in time.If I'm not mistaken we didn't get toddlers in Sims 2 till a later EP I could be wrong it's been years since I've played Sims 2 so it's hard to remember what came when.My advice to the OP play sims 3 till April when Get To Work comes out even if you don't get it right off the bat buy it see if it makes your game better.
    b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited February 2015
    I had my issues with Sims 3, and still enjoy Sims 2 more, but there's no question in my mind that it is, even leaving out the expansions, a more complete and fulfilling game then Sims

In Sims 2, even with the closed world and lack of "story progression" townies did have jobs, which gave them more of a sense of having lives outside of being socialization fodder for your Sims then in Sims 4 when there are hordes of jobless bums that exist to be socialized with by your sims, and then frequently get deleted because the game has a ridiculously small population cap, and tends to generate new townies rather than use existing ones, resulting in quickly reaching the cap. This has made the game nigh-unplayable for some players without the use of a mods to stop the rampant culling, because it's impossible to keep friends, especially if you play with aging on for households you are not playing, because the households you aren't playing, who are immune to culling, will just die off, and the option to fill houses doesn't work right.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

I agree. TS3 base game was very boring, imo.

Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    shame you feel that way but it's your opinion that I disagree with.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

I was addicted to every sims game until ts4. But you know they removed a lot of features from my play style so that's a lot to do with the reception to TS4. Although I also find it relies too much on linear tasks. Probably cheaper than offering us options. Sadly I see a lot of cost cutting in ts4 and that annoys me too :(
  • Options
    MooPlaysGamesMooPlaysGames Posts: 27 New Member
    I'm quite enjoying watching other people play the base game. It seems good enough to me, if you download a little bit of CC. I probably won't be getting The Sims 4 until the 'Get to Work' EP is released, because Ambitions was my favourite The Sims 3 EP and I fell like the game really came to life when I downloaded it. When it's released, I'm going to get The Sims 4 and I will know that I will have fun with LESS rabbit holes, many more opportunities and plenty more to do.
  • Options
    MooPlaysGamesMooPlaysGames Posts: 27 New Member
    I think toddlers will be added sooner or later if we complain enough. I mean, what helped us get pools back? And ghosts? (I don't think many people missed those, though) If it isn't added in a patch, I'd expect it to come in a Generations EP. I'm not really missing it, but I loved how they couldn't do much themselves and it's the stage where the parent and the child bond most :(
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I think toddlers will be added sooner or later if we complain enough. I mean, what helped us get pools back? And ghosts? (I don't think many people missed those, though) If it isn't added in a patch, I'd expect it to come in a Generations EP. I'm not really missing it, but I loved how they couldn't do much themselves and it's the stage where the parent and the child bond most :(

I would be very surprised if they patch toddlers in for free. There has been such an uproar over them being missing, that from a business standpoint they have to know that any EP that included them would be purchased. They would make a fortune.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png