Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are people confused as to how cars would work in the sims 4?

Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
I keep seeing people wondering how on earth they could add cars to the sims 4 since it's not "open world." (Air quotes because it actually is an open world, people just don't know proper terms. It just isn't as open as sims 3)

I'd just like to gently remind people that cars were not in the base game of sims 2, but were added and were SO much better than the sims 3's cars. You could actually woohoo in them, listen to the radio in them, get alarms installed, flash the lights, take for test drives etc. The best part was they didn't randomly spawn out of your pockets and you didn't get randomly teleported inside.

It'd work just like it did in sims 2. Add garages and drive ways to the sims 4 worlds and then they'd get in their car and drive off till the car fades away and you hit a loading screen. With bit of editing they could add parking lots around each neighborhood and certain townies would use them (but there would always be a few spot reserved for your sims and guests). Or they could also park on the side of the road like in sims 2. Obviously certain worlds would be incompatible with cars such as Granite falls for example.

Let's be honest, if they added back sims 3 cars wouldn't you all be upset?
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited February 2015
    I wouldn't say it was an open world, more or less just an open area. When I picture a world I see more than just the surrounding area of my active lot, but that's just me. To each their own.

As for the cars, they aren't impossible to add, but adding them wouldn't make any sense. In The Sims 2 your sims didn't disappear right in front of their home, they walked off of the loaded lot, or an actual vehicle came to pick them up and it in turn drove off of the loaded lot. In TS4 the loaded area doesn't stop with your lot boundary so your sims disappear on the sidewalk, and many times they don't even disappear at all as the screen just automatically turns to the loading screen while your sim just continues standing wherever they are.

I think the biggest thing everyone here needs to agree on is that Maxis did not implement any kind of vehicle system into this game, and the likelihood of them adding in a complex system like The Sims 2 had (where vehicles had actual animations, and didn't drive through objects blocking their path) is pretty low. Now I could be wrong here, but that's up to Maxis to prove me wrong. If the quality of the base game is anything to base speculations for the quality of the EPs then I don't see them going above and beyond to deliver what players actually want.
  • Options
    HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    edited February 2015
    It isn't open world here:
    Open world" and "free-roaming" suggest the absence of artificial barriers,[4] in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. Generally open world games still enforce many restrictions in the game environment, either because of absolute technical limitations or in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.

It's still a sandbox game but it's far from open world, if you can't go next door without a loading screen it's a closed minded game.
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'd like the mechanic's car. :)

I think if they add cars they definitely need more of a purpose than driving. So yeah, being able to tinker with the engine, woohoo, listen to the radio... etc.

I have always liked the mechanic's car and think they could expand on the idea to include ALL car types. So each car would have different 'states' like 'junk', 'basic', 'sports', and maybe 'bling'. You could jump right in and buy a regular car, or save money by buying a cheap 'junk' version or finding one on a tip, and fixing it up yourself.

Then, once you have your basic car, you could have the option to customise it. Loads of games do this, I don't see why sims shouldn't be able to plum their rides either. [no censor, my pun]

Maybe cars would have to be maintained? And if you don't maintain it they eventually get a bust engine or tarnished paintwork? If you leave it too long you get a 'junk' car. Of course, handy sims would be able to fix cars easily, but other sims would have to hire a mechanic.

I like the idea of washing cars. Especially for money [all ages]. As long as it was animated in a funny way because I dread to imagine them trying to make sims sexy. But sims TRYING to be sexy and failing would be great. Hmmm.... flirtatious car washing?
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I honestly don't see the point in having them other than for visual effect. S2 was very similar. They were nice to have simply for the visual and the 'feeling' of having them. They weren't really necessary though. I rarely use them in S2 unless I'm on a small lot with a big family. Having them helps avoid the stuck carpool if parents work at the same time as children. Other than that, they're kind of pointless to have as far as functionality goes. Of course, they are another fun place to have your sims woohoo in, but that's another story.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I need cars, I'm not sure how they worked in Sims 2 but I'm hoping it's a step up Sims actually touching the car then fade into it, or opening the door and getting in, Some cars I want:
    a motorcycle
    6912177-red-kawasaki-ninja-250r.jpg
    Jeep
    attachment.php?attachmentid=105424&d=1331939943

and sign deals with Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, and Honda
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Car animations were one of the things in sims 3that disappointed me. I don't feel strongly either way about cars in.sims 4 since there is no place to go. If they do add them though I hope they use sims 2 animations and fix the foundation issue so garages don't have a foundation. I really worry about them getting the animations right since everything in this game just seems to pop into place.
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    suzanna13 wrote: »
    Car animations were one of the things in sims 3that disappointed me. I don't feel strongly either way about cars in.sims 4 since there is no place to go. If they do add them though I hope they use sims 2 animations and fix the foundation issue so garages don't have a foundation. I really worry about them getting the animations right since everything in this game just seems to pop into place.

Yes, the car animations in Sims3 disappointed me as well. I missed the Sims2 animations-I enjoyed the Sims getting into the car, pulling in and out of the driveway.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited February 2015
    I liked cars in Sims 3 and I use to give them the fastest car available even if I had to cheat. Because I just wanted to get to where I wanted and traveling around the open world took so long sometimes. When Into the Future came out, I gave everyone a space craft and then it was zoom right to the place I wanted my sims to be.
    So in sims 4 I am sure it would be like Sims 2. Get in your car and zap to the place you want to be with a loading screen like now, only you do not have to get into a car to do it now. No difference. so instead of clicking M to the map, you would proceed to your car, get in and a then a map would come up and you would decide where you want to go. Would be just a little more real life. Now it could be that you would drive to the end of the road and disappear to a loading screen, that would be better. All in all no matter how you do it, you will disappear with a loading screen.
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    edited February 2015
    Exactly! Sims 2 cars were far more superior and the fact that they sped off to loading screens was made up for by the interactions with the cars you mentioned and the wonderful animations associated with getting in and out and parking in the garage.

Sims 3 cars were quite a hollow experience. The only plus side was you got to watch the car drive to the desitination which took all of two seconds and involved multiple bouts of teleportation...yeah..wow realitic >.>
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    As long as it doesn't need overwatch v2... I've noticed when I marry a townie a problem already with dozens of copies of homework. As much as I would like to see cars I can't trust them to test it properly.
  • Options
    TakekazeTakekaze Posts: 72 Member
    Cars in 4 could be a simoleon sink, just like they were in 3.

You didn't need cars in 3. Work would always send a car to pick you up and you could get anywhere via taxi.
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    I miss being able to do things in the car instead of watching them drive around town. Sims 2 cars are way superior than Sims 3 cars.
  • Options
    smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Until we got the complete Sims 2 for free on Origin, I hadn't played it since not long after TS3 was released, so I had completely forgotten how much more I loved TS2 cars over TS3 ones. Like the one you had to repair yourself, I really loved that! And the fact that sims could just go and sit in the cars (and woohoo!). If they add cars to TS4, I definitely hope they're more akin to the TS2 ones than the TS3 ones. No more magical pocket-cars, please!
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I'd like the mechanic's car. :)

I think if they add cars they definitely need more of a purpose than driving. So yeah, being able to tinker with the engine, woohoo, listen to the radio... etc.

I have always liked the mechanic's car and think they could expand on the idea to include ALL car types. So each car would have different 'states' like 'junk', 'basic', 'sports', and maybe 'bling'. You could jump right in and buy a regular car, or save money by buying a cheap 'junk' version or finding one on a tip, and fixing it up yourself.

Then, once you have your basic car, you could have the option to customise it. Loads of games do this, I don't see why sims shouldn't be able to plum their rides either. [no censor, my pun]

Maybe cars would have to be maintained? And if you don't maintain it they eventually get a bust engine or tarnished paintwork? If you leave it too long you get a 'junk' car. Of course, handy sims would be able to fix cars easily, but other sims would have to hire a mechanic.

I like the idea of washing cars. Especially for money [all ages]. As long as it was animated in a funny way because I dread to imagine them trying to make sims sexy. But sims TRYING to be sexy and failing would be great. Hmmm.... flirtatious car washing?

This would be fab. along with all the OP's suggestions. Like one simmer said, I liked watching the cars travel the roads in S3, but I'm guessing perhaps they will add cars via patch and it will be a disappearing thing and that it will be updated via EP adding more to it and extending it all somehow. There are things in S3 that they expanded on and changed and some were things that people said couldn't be done, so I think patch cars will be followed by, maybe if we are lucky, mechanics and more vehicles with more enhanced features. Perhaps in a careers EP like the one they surveyed about. Please if this is the case, add the nanny job, the house builder, and sickness as was on the survey. Would so love all that and the mechanic. And also the babysitter job for adults. :p
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Redninja52 wrote: »
    Dont want car no point.I liked watching my sim drive around town

There is a point, a more fun and realistic game, TS3 cars were a joke! :neutral_face:
    I keep seeing people wondering how on earth they could add cars to the sims 4 since it's not "open world." (Air quotes because it actually is an open world, people just don't know proper terms. It just isn't as open as sims 3)

I'd just like to gently remind people that cars were not in the base game of sims 2, but were added and were SO much better than the sims 3's cars. You could actually woohoo in them, listen to the radio in them, get alarms installed, flash the lights, take for test drives etc. The best part was they didn't randomly spawn out of your pockets and you didn't get randomly teleported inside.

It'd work just like it did in sims 2. Add garages and drive ways to the sims 4 worlds and then they'd get in their car and drive off till the car fades away and you hit a loading screen. With bit of editing they could add parking lots around each neighborhood and certain townies would use them (but there would always be a few spot reserved for your sims and guests). Or they could also park on the side of the road like in sims 2. Obviously certain worlds would be incompatible with cars such as Granite falls for example.

Let's be honest, if they added back sims 3 cars wouldn't you all be upset?

I agree with you, as for patches all I ask is carpools, let the drivable cars come in an EP or GP like in TS2, I think it would be quite fair.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited February 2015
    Adding cars in sims 4 is possible, it would just work the way it did on Console sims 3 (console meaning PS3 and the Wii, I have the PS3 version ) is all. In console sims 3 the world wasn't as opened as the PC, it was more like sims 4 sort of, however when a sim enters a car to go to work or whatever and you lock onto them, the car takes off like how it usually does, once the car is at the edge of the map area, you get a loading screen. After that you appear in another area then the car stops at whatever place/workplace your sim is going to = Vola!

I am surprised maxis didn't use this old method for sims 4, it would of solved the car problem.
    I think maxis needs to be reminded of console sims 3 so they can use this method, it would be SUPER EFFECTIVE! :D
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I like sims 2 cars.
    Jl5OpNp.jpg

Is no one going to mention the UFO in the distance... no one... okay.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I like sims 2 cars.
    Jl5OpNp.jpg

Is no one going to mention the UFO in the distance... no one... okay.

UFOs are a thing of the past xD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    It isn't open world here:
    Open world" and "free-roaming" suggest the absence of artificial barriers,[4] in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. Generally open world games still enforce many restrictions in the game environment, either because of absolute technical limitations or in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.

It's still a sandbox game but it's far from open world, if you can't go next door without a loading screen it's a closed minded game.

It IS an open world because you can explore it to your liking. The load screens aren't really that many. Only going to other neighborhoods and houses have loading screens. Many games like legend of zelda are open world yet have loading screens when visiting other towns or going inside dungeons/home etc. Open world really isn't dependant on having loading screens. MOST open world games DON'T have many loading screens, but they can.

For example most sonic games are closed worlds. The reason they're closed are because you play with levels that have limited goals and obstacles to over come. It's not free to explore .Sure you can explore the level itself but you can't explore in between or have a connecting experience.

The sims 4 is open because you can explore to your hearts content without levels or goals to pass and then pretty much never revisit the area.

As for all the suggestions keep them coming ^-^
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    The load screens are faster than using a car to get somewhere.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    The world is only as large as the lot you are in. If you want to call that an open world, knock yourself out. I choose to call it closed.

Cars are pointless to me because I don't need another place for woohoo and useless interactions. I have plenty of those in the base game. I was hoping they would add more functionality to cars in this version like a mechanic career. There could be driving skill...ah the options were endless when the world was ours to drive around in.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    I'm sure that will change when we get an EP. Besides you can actually do others things in the game while traveling in a car instead of just staring at a loading screen....
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    I'm sure that will change when we get an EP. Besides you can actually do others things in the game while traveling in a car instead of just staring at a loading screen....

Very true...and, it's nice to see you again, EasyToRead!