Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimCity (flop), Sims 4 (flop). What's it going to take EA?

Comments

• Options
    JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    cale2003 wrote: »
    how is this not closed yet...
    Because they are a flop?

Yeah. It hurts that Maxis went backwards from Sims 3 and turned Sims 4 into a mobile game wannabe/going to be.
    How? Did they ever say this game was going to be like TS3. Its a new game and they don't have to base it off previous game like we would like them to.

And we don't have to like the brand new game they came up with if we don't want to. Also most of us complain in the hopes that if we complain enough maybe just maybe they will put what we want in the game, so please stop telling us that it is useless for us to voice our opinions.
    :o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    I am lurking... but this thread is still open :smiley:
    :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Bamajam wrote: »
    I think a lot of people don't mind some of the comments made by those who don't like TS4 (unless they get really personal or hurtful). Some of the comments and gifs can be funny even if I don't agree with them. The problem is when the same people post the same thing over and over and over again on the same thread. There is nothing constructive about that. I have seen a couple of "TS4 fans" do that but honestly it is mostly a few people who dislike the game so much that they hijack threads constantly and on a daily basis and ridicule others who don't revel in their dislike. The forum is supposed to be for those who want to talk about the sims in general, share ideas, constructive criticism, hopes, needs and wants...not incessant bashing of the game.
    And I don't understand how some can be so unbelievably angry at...a game. That's what TS4 is: a game! And if it is anything more than a game to you, (and I know some people will take offense to this), then you might have deeper issues than TS4 not having toddlers or not being an open world.
    My advice:
    1. if you don't like TS4 then don't play it. Find another game, go back to another sims game, go outside, visit friends, etc...
    2. if you are mad at EA or Maxis then send them a letter and don't purchase their products
    3. if you have to post your anger then do it once and then let it be. State what you think would make game better and hope for the best. Life is frequently not fair and not getting the game you want should be at the bottom of your worry list
    4. No name calling (includes calling people sheep, haters) or reacting negatively to different ideas/opinions (just because you like something doesn't mean the next person will like it but that doesn't make them dumb or brainless or mean...just different)
    5. And , again, remember, TS4 is just a game. If some of us simmers used the amount of passion we have for the franchise in other walks of life, we could probably cure cancer, solve world hunger problem, or end discrimination.

Have fun!!!!!

And most of us complaining do have lives and do help others but when we come home and want to take a load off by relaxing and playing our favorite game, but wait we can't because our favorite game is incomplete and lacking many of the things that we feel should be in it. And no I haven't bought it yet (well they still don't make them for Mac's anyway) and I won't until I see what I want in it and I and others will continue voicing our opinions on how we think it should play.

I have read through a lot of these threads and i would like to say that many people have said that 3 didn't play this way or that and it's simply not true. Example I just read someone claiming sims could not have a conversation while watching tv this is not true my sims do. I heard people say that pools didn't have ladders or that you couldn't swim in the ocean both things were false in my game (it did have ladders and you could swim in the ocean). I also didn't buy 3 until 3 years after it's release and what I think happened to lot of people is they played 3 it didn't have x,y or z and so they quit playing it but then later through patches some things were added in or fixed.

This seems to be a repetition of how 4 is going. And let me just say I'll wait for the better game I'm not going to buy an inferior product or let people try to talk me into liking, what I know is an inferior product. (can't tell you how many threads I've seen of people who have bought the game complaining about the very things wrong or missing that some had warned them about that would not be in there.)

I'm actually very confused with the business model that EA is using. I'm not sure how it is beneficial to anyone to put out a game so stripped bare and half-finished and expect it's paying customers to have outsiders fix the game or complain enough until it is fixed through patches. I guess since this is the entertainment industry and not something like a car company they think that it's ok to just release such an inadequate product let's be glad EA doesn't make cars or anything else that requires a complete product.
  • Options
    Where does it say anywhere a game company needs to put everything from past games into a new sims game? You are forgetting its a base game and its not TS3 and it shouldn't be TS3 otherwise why would you buy a new game.

And what is wrong with wanting the good from the past AS WELL AS the new innovations? Nobody ever said that we wanted the same old same old what we do want is what we had AND what is new it was never either or it was always ALL we want it all and then maybe we will pay the exorbitant price.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    edited November 2014
    I am lurking... but this thread is still open :smiley:

Hi bae how was your day?
    [img]http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hello.gif[/img]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ok but I like the game so I am defending it. I think its probably the one that has the most potential to be really good. I realize that things were taken out and that most of you are disappointed in the direction it went. But personally I like that it is different and its still feels like a sims game to me. I am not trying to say your opinion isn't valid because for you it is for me I don't feel like that towards the game,
    [/quote]

I agree with you, from what I've seen, that it does look to have the potential to be the best one and my hope is EA can make it so. That's all we're asking, is for it to be the best is should be. It was never our intention (well not mine anyway) to make anyone who likes 4, as it is, to feel uncomfortable about their love for the game. All we have ever wanted was a very innovative game that has everything we love and have the features that were promised to be in there.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Kim Kardashian: Hollywood is an even bigger success than The Flop 4
    790922688521501764.jpg
    Such a shame, EA.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    edited November 2014
    Jimil wrote: »
    Kim Kardashian: Hollywood is an even bigger success than The Flop 4
    790922688521501764.jpg
    Such a shame, EA.

Actually this Kim Kardashian game is one one of the most downloaded apps of 2014 so it clearly beats out The Sims Freeplay as well. Kim's game that teaches you how to be a bigger money grabber than certain gaming companies so its a hit.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2014
    Anavastia - you need glasses. I wrote plain as day - >>> as of the first week of November - never mentioned the first week of September when it came out - I did not say another word about it as i just this minute got back here.

But anyway what Hades do you care what they sale as you don't like the game anyway - it is not as if you get a cut of what they sell. You act like it is personal or something. Honestly.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41952/Global/

The Sims 4 (PC)
    1,009,131 week10

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    Why do people continue to debate something with no facts? If EA continues to make content and expansion packs the issue will be settled. The game will have been successful enough to continue developing for it. No one has posted any evidence of online sales because to my knowledge those numbers have not been released by EA. People seem to think that online sales are irrelevant to the equation. Maybe. But I would be very much surprised if that were true. I bought mine from Origin. But in this conversation those dollars don't count.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Anavastia - you need glasses. I wrote plain as day - >>> as of the first week of November - never mentioned the first week of September when it came out - I did not say another word about it as i just this minute got back here.

But anyway what Hades do you care what they sale as you don't like the game anyway - it is not as if you get a cut of what they sell. You act like it is personal or something. Honestly.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41952/Global/

The Sims 4 (PC)
    1,009,131 week10

You need to be more tactful when speaking with people. I apologize that i missed the date. 1 million sales as the first week of november means it took 2 months for it to finally meet the mark of sims 2 and still has not surpassed sims 3 first week sales. So things still do not sound good for the series. Seems to me sales are just barely trickling.

Why do you need to obsess over why I care so much? Second time you've asked me that. I guess everything has to be a business venture for you to care about something? Would you even understand the reasoning behind it. I doubt it since i sincerely feel you don't care why im here in the first place. So does that mean you care about defending sims 4 because you get a cut? If your answer is no than wouldn't that mean your feelings are personal towards the game and that is why you feel you must defend it?

Than by all means if that is your logic you've found the answer to your own question as to why i'm here. Let's not pretend our feelings for the sims is anything but personal. I may not like the sims 4 as a game but as a series this is my favorite toy, my treasure. it's become tarnished, i wanted it fixed. I'm sorry i just don't like walking away from things i treasure let alone tossing them in the garbage. For a stock holder im just kind of shocked by you all the time anyway. You know if every fan that loved a series and found it lacking jsut walked away from it without spending a dime and holding on to hope the series would long been dead. That's why ea wants the yelling to continue it's because they see here is still interest. The silence is when things get scary. The little subtle questions of why are you here, did you buy the game, I can pick up on the point. Sorry, im not going anywhere not for awhile. happy simming though!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2014
    People who actually know me - know full well how much i love the game. It is well known and i know a lot of Simmers - not just on the forums either. Because I love the game I had no issue investing my dollars to buy it - I did not need to nit pick it apart without even giving it an honest try.

Of course i was not 100 percent satisfied - I missed some of the stuff not in the game - the family tree - the toddlers - proper ghosts. But i was still willing and loving the Sims enough to see what the game did have. I did not vilify it and turn it into a trash heap, but did find a lot about Sims 4 that is fun. That is not to say i don't still miss the above things - I do very much. Because of it, i don't play the game at 8 hours a stretch day in and day out - but play it a couple hours at a time. It is a fun game. At least on my pc I don't see hardly any glitches, nor is the load screen hardly more than an eye blink. WAY better than Sims 2 load screens - plus the open little neighborhoods are pretty neat - especially with the promise of every world we get will all be in this one map. Well it makes me smile.

I know things are limited in a base game - we had the same issue with Sims 2 until we started getting some eps. Eventually i had some huge worlds in Sims 2. But in my case I gave the game a chance by playing it - not choosing to make a mockery of it because of what others say.

I also take offense when people say they are just here because they want every one to have a better game - and then they go on with what they want - and often their version of a better game is not mine. To me their version is Sims 3 redux when we were sort of promised they were going back to the roots of what made Sims 2 so endearing. We never asked for the fully open world, RH's and cast. So if that is how someone is telling me they want a better game for everybody - then to me that is not a better game. If I want that - i have that already in Sims 3. Outside of the Sims themselves and some of the lag issues - Sims 3 really does not need improving - in my honest opinion. But it was high time we returned to what made the Sims great to start with - Sims 2, which did need a good CAS and build mode - but without leaving out the sims stages, ghosts, family trees, and pools.

Just those things and the coming eps - then to me the game was a better game for most of us.

But i have an issue with someone who tells me whats good for a game they have not even bothered giving a few weeks play.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    People who actually know me - know full well how much i love the game. It is well known and i know a lot of Simmers - not just on the forums either. Because I love the game I had no issue investing my dollars to buy it - I did not need to nit pick it apart without even giving it an honest try.

Of course i was not 100 percent satisfied - I missed some of the stuff not in the game - the family tree - the toddlers - proper ghosts. But i was still willing and loving the Sims enough to see what the game did have. I did not vilify it and turn it into a trash heap, but did find a lot about Sims 4 that is fun. That is not to say i don't still miss the above things - I do very much. Because of it, i don't play the game at 8 hours a stretch day in and day out - but play it a couple hours at a time. It is a fun game. At least on my pc I don't see hardly any glitches, nor is the load screen hardly more than an eye blink. WAY better than Sims 2 load screens - plus the open little neighborhoods are pretty neat - especially with the promise of every world we get will all be in this one map. Well it makes me smile.

I know things are limited in a base game - we had the same issue with Sims 2 until we started getting some eps. Eventually i had some huge worlds in Sims 2. But in my case I gave the game a chance by playing it - not choosing to make a mockery of it because of what others say.

I also take offense when people say they are just here because they want every one to have a better game - and then they go on with what they want - and often their version of a better game is not mine. To me their version is Sims 3 redux when we were sort of promised they were going back to the roots of what made Sims 2 so endearing. We never asked for the fully open world, RH's and cast. So if that is how someone is telling me they want a better game for everybody - then to me that is not a better game. If I want that - i have that already in Sims 3. Outside of the Sims themselves and some of the lag issues - Sims 3 really does not need improving - in my honest opinion. But it was high time we returned to what made the Sims great to start with - Sims 2, which did need a good CAS and build mode - but without leaving out the sims stages, ghosts, family trees, and pools.

Just those things and the coming eps - then to me the game was a better game for most of us.

But i have an issue with someone who tells me whats good for a game they have not even bothered giving a few weeks play.

I've known you since sims 2 through the forums. I've very well aware of how you deal with players on this forums for the past few years and how you deal with the game. Does it matter to me that you know a lot of simmers no. Does it mean i want to be like you no. Is it a bad thing, no. Does it mean i'm going to handle how i choose to deal with this game like you no. Why cause im not Written Reg. I respect that you are you, you need respect that i am me.

Anavastia is not going to look at this game and bend over and buy it because she doesn't like some things. I don't give games try that don't warrant it. Again up to dev's to create that appeal. They've done it for all the series they've gotten my money. 1 Series they couldn't, very simple and very simple solution. They want my money they need to create what im looking for as a consumer. Yes i know im a tough nut to crack, yes i know consumers like mean tend to be hard to win over, however my interests are still here. As the many people who think and feel as i do.

Frankly nothing i have said or wanted has been a sims 3 redux, most of things im looking for have never been done by sims to this date. However what i do need sims to advance it simulation play and push some of it's old content base game to make way for the new. I am for progressions with games a few hand full of content isn't going to sway me over and that is the gamer i represent.

Take up the issue all you want but it's your own issue, you don't represent EA as far as im concerned a lot of this fanbase you don't represent either. Why should i worry if you take issue with me not purchasing the game. I don't, it's your only defense you have than it's lame. You haven't convinced me not once that it's worth buying and that kind of stance most of the people like you take only puts more of us customers into not buying it. Why because it feels so forced. Why should i buy a game that i already am discussing with devs what i have problems with it. Why should i place my money on the line, it's my money not yours. Why worry about how i spend my money. Or worry about me as a customer in the first place. If you feel so strongly i should not have a say, then why even speak to me? What bothers you so much about me because i don't like sims 4 and want to tell dev's what it is im looking for in order for me to purchase it. To you adding content is a solution, to me it is not. You can't solve the problem with the game only dev's can so why take personal what i have say.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    Why do people continue to debate something with no facts? If EA continues to make content and expansion packs the issue will be settled. The game will have been successful enough to continue developing for it. No one has posted any evidence of online sales because to my knowledge those numbers have not been released by EA. People seem to think that online sales are irrelevant to the equation. Maybe. But I would be very much surprised if that were true. I bought mine from Origin. But in this conversation those dollars don't count.
    Just because they will make EP and other DLC doesn't settle anything. Do you wonder why there aren't any sales released yet? Shouldn't the sale numbers be released by now? I'll clue you in. It might have to do with the fact the numbers are pretty low and disappointing. If that isn't any hint, look at the countless negative game reviews and low Google Trend statistics and maybe just maybe..... this thread is onto something.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    Anavastia wrote: »
    ZhakiraP wrote: »

sims 4 is only out on pc it doesn't have a console platform. However we know supersmash brothers sales for both their platforms and that puts them at 705k. Like i said sims 4 ranked 8th in sales as a game doesn't matter how many platforms it's own the point to be made is that it did not make 1 million sales as people want to claim. It did far less than that. In fact that is what makes it in trouble.

I haven't came here to tell people the game is a flop because most of the responses given to this have been opinonated in the first place wether it's a flop or not. What i want is solid evidence that the sales did well or not.

Given if sims 4 for it's base game release sold probably around 400 to 500 k retail value. And sims 3 sold in it's first week 1.4 million that means that sims 4 at release had under 30 percent retention of it's fanbase. I keep saying number one charts don't mean jack especially when games make that chart even when sales are 1k for that week. 30 percent retention is a failed release no matter how you look at it. However even for a failed release the game could pull itself together. A bad release doesn't mean over all sales for the series would be bad its when those sales start to flat line that you need to worry. Again sims 3 over sales was 11 million. Yet sims 2 over all sales was around 16million so sims 3 still had over 50 percent retention of the playerbase. If sims 4 sales still remain stale over and they still have less than 30 percent retention and cannot pick up the sales then the series is a flop.

That's the point to be made and Maxis knows this, that is why they're working hard to add back the content and fix the bugs. Regardless of what happens it's up to dev's to turn things around. Like the game all you want it won't mean that it's a success, in the same manner i hate the game but it doesn't mean it will all together fail. All of that is up to devs at this point.

The comparison is not really relevant since games released both on console and PC would have a larger audience.
    So what was your point with those numbers?

Read the paragraph and you'd understand what the relevance of those numbers are. If you missed the conversation scroll back and read it. Not going to repeat myself a dozen times for people who aren't even going to read it what im writing about. The answer is already in what I wrote. Or are you just trying to pick at me, given it wasn't hard to find in my conversation the point I was making.

You wanted to prove someone wrong?

With irrelevant numbers?

The number are relevant in every way. You butted into my conversation with a player not the other way around. Try to understand said conversation. Since it has nothing to do with console and every thing do do with another user claiming sims 4 sold a million copies retail its first week. Which was not true at all and there is proof of that. You dipped in the conversation which has nothing to do with it being console at all. Those numbers are relevant to the conversation I'm having with another person. If you want to bring a relevant opinion to that conversation that please by all means do so other wise please leave me alone. I know you have great disdain for me. I notice you follow me quite a bit in other threads that other wise people are insulting me or being rude to me and you plus one them for drama. I over all ignore you. On top of that i don't even follow you one bit, you just have that urge to try and sneak in an under cut. It's really petty you should give it a rest by now.

Do you feel that I follow you? I think this is the first comment I have made to you in a very long time.
    If I like something it is because I like it, it has nothing to do with you, that´s just light bulb effect.

I was angry with you in one thread. Yes.
    But I don´t know you. I do not have "great disdain" for you. I do not agree with your opinions most of the time, and I think you are a bit long winded in your comments, which is why I rarely read them. Trust me, I am not out to get you nor was my question as malevolent as you think. I was a bit confused by the numbers, it´s nearly midnight were I am, so I am a bit tired. I wasn´t trying to be rude.

I am sorry if I came off as hostile. I might be a bit affected by recent events on the forum. I know that is not an excuse, it´s an explanation. I´ll take a break, get some sleep and shrug the hostility off.

P.S But please don´t assume everyone is out for the drama. I have strong opinions, but I am not looking for drama. It is kind of insulting when you assume something you could not possibly know, and I really don´t think that makes you any better.

Yes I do, especially on occasions when it's not to contribute to the discussion but to come into the thread to take a personal jab at me and then you bounce back out. Like i said you'll like conversations that have nothing to do with the topic but of people taking jabs at me. You seem to still be angry with me even though i've long since apologized since our initial meeting. You came into this thread didn't even bother to read what i wrote but wanted to tell me my conversation was irrelevant. Yet offered no other conversation as to why you felt it was. Even if I am long winded and you hadn't read it it still seemed very odd that you would make note to continue to say it's irrelevant. That is what lead me to feel this way.

As far as assuming, I had not made any assumption. Assuming would mean i'd have to take a guess at the situation, and i haven't im experiencing this situation. This is my experience with you from the day we bumped heads in the past. I would find no other reason why someone who has disdain for someone would treat them in such a manner. It's not meant to be insulting but more so to make you aware of how i feel and my perception of the situation. However, I can accept your apology regardless of if we disagree nothing wrong with starting over and getting on better footing. Hostile forums or not, we all are simmers. Most of us, our main object is to get a better game from Maxis.

(And of course it´s spot light effect, not light bulb effect, I was very tired. )

I am sorry you feel that way.

I get into a lot of discussions here, it happens when you like to discuss, so I don´t recall every single one.

Anyway, I won´t hijack the thread anymore, You are free to assume anything you like, and I will just avoid you as if you had the plague. Ok? :)
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited November 2014
    A "Flop" is defintely a different animal than "disappointing sales". And we don't even know if the sales are disappointing yet.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I find Anavastia's post, the one with rankings, as relevant as those saying Sims 4 sold 1million copies. Opinions aside, I wonder why EA/Origin haven't posted their numbers yet? That's what I'm waiting for before I get in this conversation.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    Jenzup wrote: »
    Where does it say anywhere a game company needs to put everything from past games into a new sims game? You are forgetting its a base game and its not TS3 and it shouldn't be TS3 otherwise why would you buy a new game.

And what is wrong with wanting the good from the past AS WELL AS the new innovations? Nobody ever said that we wanted the same old same old what we do want is what we had AND what is new it was never either or it was always ALL we want it all and then maybe we will pay the exorbitant price.

Yes, it's a new sims game and maybe some want the direction Sims 4 is going but for me this game is so empty, it wouldn't hurt to add something from the old game to fill it in. Like cuddling/spooning while sleep, relaxing/reading in bed, continuity with interactions, for example making swimming part of exercise. Other things I can't think of now because I haven't played in 2 weeks and my memories fail me. I open the game and close it soon after the loading.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I find Anavastia's post, the one with rankings, as relevant as those saying Sims 4 sold 1million copies. Opinions aside, I wonder why EA/Origin haven't posted their numbers yet? That's what I'm waiting for before I get in this conversation.

You must not be familiar with what NPD is. NPD is as legit as it comes, they are a marketing research group if they publish a chart it's accurate because they get their scales from the actual business. Not only are they used by all the top review sites they're used by corporation to find gamer market data. Ea may have released their numbers to this group and as the chart doesn't post actual data just rankings.

Forbes another acredited site shows that much that NPD does get that data from hardware and gaming company before they're willing to leak it to the public.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/18/npd-hardware-sales-numbers-leak-for-june-2014/

You can familiarize yourself with the company.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPD_Group

So trust say that chart is accurate Ea already gave the data to that research company they just aren't going to disclose that information to us. Probably never will as it's bad press for them.

Also to show the game has already fallen off the top ten charts for october.

http://firstadopter.tumblr.com/post/102569850539/october-2014-u-s-video-game-sales-results-hardware

• Options

You must not be familiar with what NPD is. NPD is as legit as it comes, they are a marketing research group if they publish a chart it's accurate because they get their scales from the actual business. Not only are they used by all the top review sites they're used by corporation to find gamer market data. Ea may have released their numbers to this group and as the chart doesn't post actual data just rankings.

Forbes another acredited site shows that much that NPD does get that data from hardware and gaming company before they're willing to leak it to the public.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/18/npd-hardware-sales-numbers-leak-for-june-2014/

So trust say that chart is accurate Ea already gave the data to that research company they just aren't going to disclose that information to us. Probably never will as it's bad press for them.

http://firstadopter.tumblr.com/post/102569850539/october-2014-u-s-video-game-sales-results-hardware

Thank you for the links and no I am not familiar but have seen the chart posted in other sims community forums. What I understand, those are retail sales. I wanted to see the on-line sales as well. I don't have an opinion about their failure until I can see how many were digital downloads. I am starting to believe that opening that can of worms may not be in EA or the Sims team best interest. Things that make me go hmm.

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

How long was TS1, TS2 and TS3? The top of the charts?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

How long was TS1, TS2 and TS3? The top of the charts?

I'm looking for that data now you'll have to give me a while to find it i'm searching through quite a lot of links to find it.
  • Options

Thank you for the links and no I am not familiar but have seen the chart posted in other sims community forums. What I understand, those are retail sales. I wanted to see the on-line sales as well. I don't have an opinion about their failure until I can see how many were digital downloads. I am starting to believe that opening that can of worms may not be in EA or the Sims team best interest. Things that make me go hmm.

Npd does track digital sales but they don't chart them yet.

Though i was hoping they would have started to last year when they first announced they would start tracking them.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-02-npd-preparing-to-track-digital-sales-this-year

Though given the large amount of returns i would assume keeping those numbers quite is for the best right now as is not releasing the actual number for retail sales. Even i think keeping those numbers hush is for the best. The last thing you want your gamers to see is numerical data showing the game isn't doing well. Ranking systems are one thing, however data is another. It could very much ward off any potential consumer even more, or damage investor relationships, in an already chaotic corporate setting.

Given the company has just been under new management and trying to reform (at least it appears to be) it's own image. All a new CEO right now needs is a long standing game going under as it's list of troubles to get a boot out the door.

Regardless of failure, at release there is always the chance of success. Especially if you can learn from that failure. Every series has it's slump, it happens. some can put themselves back out some can't. Why i said a fail at release doesn't always spell over fail of the game.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Excuse me but I just wanted to let you know why I take issue with your arguments.
    I, like you love the sims, I also tried to look past the missing things but *for me* those were game breaking in terms of my enjoyment. I gave it an 'honest try' as you say. And I feel intensely disappointed and ripped off because they released an unfinished game for a premium price. And then when their customers whose play styles they threw out say they are disappointed they are trashed on these forums and are expected to wait an indeterminate amount of time to even find out *if* they will bother to put the work into finishing sims4. Under these conditions I couldn't expect another customer to buy the sims 4.
    I consider the customers who withheld their money very astute-they know what they love about the sims and until those areas return EA won't get their money. So they hold the power. I don't, EA has my money and so far have only paid lip service to the concerns I have. It's done us as a community harm for EA to think we will buy whatever they create, no matter the quality. That's how we've ended up with an unfinished base game being released at full premium price.

I bought into 4 because they said we wouldn't notice the missing things because of how well it would run. Well my experience has been far from that-for the first time ever I had to mod a sims game to make it playable. That's unacceptable when they sold the excuse that why these things were missing was to bring a truly stable base game.

I don't want to rob you of a game you enjoy-what I want is for the sims team to implement some options-give us all the tools we need to play as we love-just like a traditional sims game. I don't want sims 3. I want a sims 4 that represents the best of 1,2 and 3 with the advancement that also comes with technology moving on in the years since they were made. I truly believe they only implemented ghosts and pools to try to placate the players who are angry, if we all just sang their praises we would have seen them releasing all this content in eps.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Here is how I look at it. There is no use arguing with people that love it. They are going to buy the game and support it until it goes down in flames. That's good for them. What is not good for them is that if other people don't buy it, EA will halt production of the game and send it into an abyss until they are ready to relaunch it 10 years later. There are already at least 2 EP's in production so those will be sold, however, going forward, who knows what will happen. What I do see in their marketing is fear. They are afraid to make announcements, gurus are afraid of losing their jobs, and they are frantically trying to assuage the customers after their blundered release.

Looking back at Medieval and SimCity where support just stopped...I would not throw more money into this game. Wait until it is in the bargain bin if you must complete your collection, but honestly, this isn't a next generation sims game. It doesn't belong anywhere in the series except as a standalone game. They know it, most of us know it. There is no strong evidence that this game will survive 5 years and that is something I would never have said about the previous games. Even TS1 was a stronger base game, which is pretty pathetic.