Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimCity (flop), Sims 4 (flop). What's it going to take EA?

Comments

• sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Here is how I look at it. There is no use arguing with people that love it. They are going to buy the game and support it until it goes down in flames. That's good for them. What is not good for them is that if other people don't buy it, EA will halt production of the game and send it into an abyss until they are ready to relaunch it 10 years later. There are already at least 2 EP's in production so those will be sold, however, going forward, who knows what will happen. What I do see in their marketing is fear. They are afraid to make announcements, gurus are afraid of losing their jobs, and they are frantically trying to assuage the customers after their blundered release.

Looking back at Medieval and SimCity where support just stopped...I would not throw more money into this game. Wait until it is in the bargain bin if you must complete your collection, but honestly, this isn't a next generation sims game. It doesn't belong anywhere in the series except as a standalone game. They know it, most of us know it. There is no strong evidence that this game will survive 5 years and that is something I would never have said about the previous games. Even TS1 was a stronger base game, which is pretty pathetic.

I couldn't agree more.
    What gets me is the people who say those things aren't missing-um so why did the sim gurus announce the missing areas just before release then?! If they were never intended they wouldn't have felt they needed to do that. So we are left with an incomplete game with a premium price tag and a lot of disgruntled customers.
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I am just waiting in the wings and will see how this game plays out. (no pun intended) I am not planning to buy anything else in this series, especially it keeps going status quo. I use to care about simming and would feel bad if I haven't for a couple of weeks. Now I don't plum care if this series succeed or goes down in flaming you-know-what. Maybe if there is a failure, the game might come back better with either a hiatus or another gaming company taking over. Whatever the case, something have to change for me to keep supporting the Sims 4.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited November 2014
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I am just waiting in the wings and will see how this game plays out. (no pun intended) I am not planning to buy anything else in this series, especially it keeps going status quo. I use to care about simming and would feel bad if I haven't for a couple of weeks. Now I don't plum care if this series succeed or goes down in flaming you-know-what. Maybe if there is a failure, the game might come back better with either a hiatus or another gaming company taking over. Whatever the case, something have to change for me to keep supporting the Sims 4.

I know how you feel. I went through all the stages of grief with Sims 4. Now I accept it for what it is. I'm just about ready to bury it and move on.
    Post edited by Hephaestion on
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    blewis823 wrote: »

I know how you feel. I went through all the stages of grief with Sims 4. Now I accept that it for what it is. I'm just about ready to bury it and move on.
    funny-pictures-group-hug.jpg
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Some people who like this game are continually telling us that we are wrong to keep disliking this game. They use the excuse that this is just a base game and that we should wait til all the expansion packs and downloadable content come out, and *then* we'll see how The Sims 4 is so much better than The Sims, The Sims 2, and the Sims 3 combined.

That's what I like to call "wishful thinking"....because really....if I spent $60 (in my case) on a digital download for the simple reason that a) I was bored and b) The Sims 3 and the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection won't run on my computer...and not because I necessarily wanted it...and when I did get it found it boring and lackluster...

Why Should I Throw Good Money After Bad in hopes that the first expansion pack will redeem the lackluster performance of the base game? And given the state of my current computer, I probably wouldn't be able to play it even if I felt impressed enough to want to try it out.

I know some people here who aren't particularly impressed by TS4 are willing to at least try the first EP whenever it comes out, and I guess I'll rely on their first-hand reports before I dip my pocketbook (skinny as it is....there are mothballs coming out of it, if you know what I mean) into those waters.

Folks, we should NOT have to wait for an expansion pack to make the game better. We should all be spending our time liking THIS game and enthusing over the fact that we finally got a game that had a lot of the major features of other base games...Remember that there was a pool table in The Sims *and* hot tubs. And pools. And this is just the *first* game. Other things were added in the base games of later versions of the Sims; and I don't recall too many complaints about how bad those games were, with the exception of The Sims 2 vs. The Sims 3 battles, but even then, TS3 defenders had a lot going for them and didn't have to make excuses for the lack of objects/game play...at least not the "Oh, but wait, it's going to be better after they add expansions" kind we hear now. The players of both games were not shy about adding their suggestions to the Ideas and Feedback forums (Or Suggest An Idea on the old TS2 BBS).

But here, I don't even like reading them because people are making suggestions that, given the limitations of the current base game engine, are not likely to ever see the light of day. In short, I don't see any point in throwing good money after bad when EA's HQ still doesn't get it, and they leave it up to the poor overworked underpaid development teams to fix the mess that HQ created for them in the first place.

This game will only improve when EA HQ starts realizing that it's not a dollhouse game for children, teens, and little old ladies living on a fixed income, but also includes professionals with college degrees and people who also work in the computer (and sometimes even other gaming companies) industry.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    edited November 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Free play doesn't have Sims emotions because it was based on Sims 3. You should love it munchie.

No, actually, she shouldn't. And you obviously have never bothered to play the game or you'd see how ridiculous your statement is. I, at least, can say I tried it for my tablet at least twice and I couldn't stomach it for very long. For one thing, it's real time game-play, which means if you put your Sim to bed for 8 hours, it literally *is* 8 REAL TIME hours before they wake up.

If you want your Sim to grow a crop it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours for your crop to harvest...that's REAL-time hours, mind you. And if you want to buy that toddler wading pool, you probably need to be prepared to pay real money for it as it probably doesn't come free.

And it *doesn't* resemble the Sims 3 in the slightest. It's not really an open world. So, really your remark was unnecessarily snarky and uncalled for. That "Free Play" title also refers to the fact that it's a free download...not that it's sandbox like TS3 was. There are goals and quests that your Sim has to complete. There's no option to visit your neighbor unless it's part of a goal or quest. At least, I don't recall the game being open-ended.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Well whose fault is it in the first place if this is a flop? Would it be the people who made it, or the people who won't buy it?

The people who made It. Why is that even a question posed? Whether it is poorly made or bad marketing and PR, it is still their fault.
    In saying that, I was trying to make it clear that they can't put out a bad product, then blame people for not buying it. I guess I wasn't clear.

• sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Well whose fault is it in the first place if this is a flop? Would it be the people who made it, or the people who won't buy it?

The people who made It. Why is that even a question posed? Whether it is poorly made or bad marketing and PR, it is still their fault.
    In saying that, I was trying to make it clear that they can't put out a bad product, then blame people for not buying it. I guess I wasn't clear.

No they can't, and this time I think it's finally caught up with them!

• SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    Seriously when will it evolve...
    tumblr_lvv1fi36Zg1r1ltxt.gif

It did...
    6185ae12c9ac9cc3edec2b3d1857f2e4.JPG

Ahahahahaha!! I just can't!!
    cale2003 wrote: »
    Ok im SICK AND TIRED of people calling this game a flop! Its been out for TWO MONTHS, no EPs have been released or EVEN announced yet! Give this game a chance. Call me a fanboy of TS4 all you want but not everybody hates this game.

You had to be that ONE person......
    edited November 2014
    \
    Mauvee wrote: »
    I don't understand why people aren't giving Sims 4 a chance even, it's base game at the moment, they will add better things as time goes on. Geez.

Because you should NEVER have to rely on an expansions to MAKE a game good. That is ridiculous. I didn't say when I bought Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption OR The Walking Dead games "Hmm, I know it sucks now, but I can't wait to throw more money into an expansion so that it MIGHT be better"....come on now, no one thinks like that. These games aren't free and EA isn't doing us some gahd given favor. They are a business and a poor one at that as they have proven over and over, not just with the Sims, but many other games as well.
  • CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    On topic: Until more people vote with their wallets and/or their other game series flop (it looks like it is happening with the latest Dragon Age game), EA will continue with their current business practices. It's a shame that Simcity and The Sims 4 had to go down the route that they did, but that's because EA didn't listen to their fans and customers.

Off topic: Seeing Rinilex's post on the first page of this thread is making me sad again.
    Luke-Evans-Dracula-Untold.jpg

Rest in peace, @Rinilex, even though you aren't dead. :(
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    edited November 2014
    I dedicate this song to EA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJOCU2ZPCSg
    Especially the first verse of the song <3
    Pretty music. Is there a version that has the lyrics? The song went by too fast for me to understand what was being said.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    People who actually know me - know full well how much i love the game. It is well known and i know a lot of Simmers - not just on the forums either. Because I love the game I had no issue investing my dollars to buy it - I did not need to nit pick it apart without even giving it an honest try.

Of course i was not 100 percent satisfied - I missed some of the stuff not in the game - the family tree - the toddlers - proper ghosts. But i was still willing and loving the Sims enough to see what the game did have. I did not vilify it and turn it into a trash heap, but did find a lot about Sims 4 that is fun. That is not to say i don't still miss the above things - I do very much. Because of it, i don't play the game at 8 hours a stretch day in and day out - but play it a couple hours at a time. It is a fun game. At least on my pc I don't see hardly any glitches, nor is the load screen hardly more than an eye blink. WAY better than Sims 2 load screens - plus the open little neighborhoods are pretty neat - especially with the promise of every world we get will all be in this one map. Well it makes me smile.

I know things are limited in a base game - we had the same issue with Sims 2 until we started getting some eps. Eventually i had some huge worlds in Sims 2. But in my case I gave the game a chance by playing it - not choosing to make a mockery of it because of what others say.

I also take offense when people say they are just here because they want every one to have a better game - and then they go on with what they want - and often their version of a better game is not mine. To me their version is Sims 3 redux when we were sort of promised they were going back to the roots of what made Sims 2 so endearing. We never asked for the fully open world, RH's and cast. So if that is how someone is telling me they want a better game for everybody - then to me that is not a better game. If I want that - i have that already in Sims 3. Outside of the Sims themselves and some of the lag issues - Sims 3 really does not need improving - in my honest opinion. But it was high time we returned to what made the Sims great to start with - Sims 2, which did need a good CAS and build mode - but without leaving out the sims stages, ghosts, family trees, and pools.

Just those things and the coming eps - then to me the game was a better game for most of us.

But i have an issue with someone who tells me whats good for a game they have not even bothered giving a few weeks play.

Excuse me but I just wanted to let you know why I take issue with your arguments.
    I, like you love the sims, I also tried to look past the missing things but *for me* those were game breaking in terms of my enjoyment. I gave it an 'honest try' as you say. And I feel intensely disappointed and ripped off because they released an unfinished game for a premium price. And then when their customers whose play styles they threw out say they are disappointed they are trashed on these forums and are expected to wait an indeterminate amount of time to even find out *if* they will bother to put the work into finishing sims4. Under these conditions I couldn't expect another customer to buy the sims 4.
    I consider the customers who withheld their money very astute-they know what they love about the sims and until those areas return EA won't get their money. So they hold the power. I don't, EA has my money and so far have only paid lip service to the concerns I have. It's done us as a community harm for EA to think we will buy whatever they create, no matter the quality. That's how we've ended up with an unfinished base game being released at full premium price.

I bought into 4 because they said we wouldn't notice the missing things because of how well it would run. Well my experience has been far from that-for the first time ever I had to mod a sims game to make it playable. That's unacceptable when they sold the excuse that why these things were missing was to bring a truly stable base game.

I don't want to rob you of a game you enjoy-what I want is for the sims team to implement some options-give us all the tools we need to play as we love-just like a traditional sims game. I don't want sims 3. I want a sims 4 that represents the best of 1,2 and 3 with the advancement that also comes with technology moving on in the years since they were made. I truly believe they only implemented ghosts and pools to try to placate the players who are angry, if we all just sang their praises we would have seen them releasing all this content in eps.

Hi sparkfairy-

I too think that EA's decision to release content in patches was more to placate-or to add things that were designed originally to be in the base game upon release but that they didn't have time to include by the release date. Just a sense I have, that's all.

In response to some of what you wrote about people who haven't purchased the game-I wish I did feel astute. Mostly I just feel sad. I remember when I first heard about Sims 4. I was so excited. I, like so many others, was one to buy the Sims games as soon as they were on sale. And, I was still enjoying Sims 3. It wasn't that I was having a bad time with the current series and wanted something else-just that I was excited for what I imagined Sims 4 would be. I waited anxiously for any news, any pictures, any bits of game play. And then, for the first time since The Sims franchise began I did not buy the base game when it was released. I realized that, for me, there were a few things that I felt had become too much of the core of the game-again, for me-that were no longer going to be included and I couldn't imagine that I would enjoy playing for any length of time. I completely get that some people are enjoying Sims 4. I completely get that some people did not like Sims3 and welcome this new series. That is wonderful that some people are enjoying the game and are content with the current series. But as for me, I am sad. Just one Simmer's opinion.
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Pretty music. Is there a version that has the lyrics? The song went by too fast for me to understand what was being said.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-3V0cQv3Ug
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    TS4 is a flop because of the Devs newest catch phrase "Things Change"... they changed too much. #RPGGame #Expensive #LawdNo
    I know I'm the minority but I really like the changes. Especially the 'rpg' elements.

I wouldn't mind them much or at all if they were optional and not really needed to progress. I never really liked the sims for linear play.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2014
    Off topic - I hate the "User Banned Please Carry On" image. It's supposed to look like the "Keep Calm and X" meme, is it? It's a very tired meme by now. Even Milhouse is a better meme.
    They should change it....
    cda.png

SelenaGrey wrote: »
    munchie885 wrote: »
    I know I'm the minority but I really like the changes. Especially the 'rpg' elements.

I wouldn't mind them much or at all if they were optional and not really needed to progress. I never really liked the sims for linear play.
    I think career goals are nice, it makes the game feel a little more realistic to me. However I do agree they can be very linear. I know that the devs have expressed interest in making them less linear, so hopefully they can open the choices up and find a solution to please everyone.

Agreed. I think most of us are just spoiled from TS3s way of doing things. At least they are looking into it so heres hoping to an optional change to be implimented soon. Until then I'll cross my fingers and hope the secret project is an Urbz2.
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    I just hope they add a new set of careers that are hands on for me to do period. I don't want do do the task thing at all. I just want to do something like run a business, or whatever and earn my points through sandbox play.
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    Ah, yes... Ideas and Feedback, the ossuary of the forums. And the Sims, too, unfortunately.
    Ah, yes... Ideas and Feedback, the ossuary of the forums. And the Sims, too, unfortunately.
    RIP thread
  • AnaCecilia63AnaCecilia63 Posts: 190 Member
    edited November 2014
    @sparkfairy1 @Mstybl95 @Hephaestion @blewis823 @Jarsie9 @Schantal @CowPlantforHire Agree, agree, agree, agree... I agree with all of you, guys. You've spoken nothing but the truth. I know that for some simmers it's being much harder to accept it, but they will on time. I don't expect anything from EA at this point, and I'm certainly not gonna buy anything else until this The Sims Olympus (or whatever the name, certainly not 'The Sims 4') mess is fixed.

Off topic question: Can we 'Add as a friend' in this forums?
    My Tumblr
    My Blog
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win". ~ Mahatma Gandhi.