Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimCity (flop), Sims 4 (flop). What's it going to take EA?

What's it going to take for you to start listening to people who buy your games? You only pretend to listen when we stop buying them. I can wait this out, EA. I can live on cheese and crackers and Steam games. I can wait until Dragon Age Inquisition drops to $10 with DLC in a few months. I'm patient.

You guys have man-child CEO's with multi-millionaire appetites to feed... and stockholders who will drop you like a hot coal if a shadow crosses the moon... and convoluted office politics that make the Game of Thrones look like Xmas day in a Norman Rockwell painting. You can't.

So get your act together and entertain me with solid games. Quit hiring "producers" who are disneyfied goose-steppers and quit firing your talent. Pouring salt into our eyes with the travesty that is Sims 4 is not entertainment.

Sims 4 Completely Mismanaged: hxxp://simsvip.com/2014/01/30/former-artist-thesims4-completely-mismanaged/

Former concept artist:
So I am no longer working for MAXIS. Was laid off today. On a related note, the sims 4 team is completely mismanaged.

— Jace Wallace (@JaceWallace) January 31, 2014

They should hire more producers I think :eyeroll:

@ashleighanne90 The office politics at redwood shores are brutal.

The Sims 4: 5 Reasons Why This Game is a Huge Flop: hxxp://n4g.com/news/1579820/the-sims-4-5-reasons-why-this-game-is-a-huge-flop

Comments

• Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    edited November 2014
    pennstatucky-orange-is-the-new-black.jpg?w=645
    *casually waits for the new Mass Effect*
    (Bioware is the only thing that could save EA now)
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    Sims 4 Completely Mismanaged: hxxp://simsvip.com/2014/01/30/former-artist-thesims4-completely-mismanaged/<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Former concept artist:<br />
    So I am no longer working for MAXIS. Was laid off today. On a related note, the sims 4 team is completely mismanaged.<br />
    <br />
    — Jace Wallace (@JaceWallace) January 31, 2014<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    They should hire more producers I think :eyeroll:<br />
    <br />
    — Jace Wallace (@JaceWallace) January 31, 2014<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    @ashleighanne90 The office politics at redwood shores are brutal.<br />
    <br />

popcorn.gif

I'm totally HFT tbh
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    Bioware has failed us once with a lack luster ending (ME3), and they failed us twice with a horrible game (DA2).

But, Jimil is right- they must not fail with Inquisition and Mass Effect 4, or, else I honestly for see the ending of EA's good reputation, what little they have of it, anyway.

Don't get me wrong I like TS4, but, it is a huge flop amonst the community as a whole.
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Okay, c.r.a.c.k.e.r.s was not meant in a racial or pirating sense in the OP. It was meant as in "cheese and c.r.a.c.k.e.r.s". The censor has gone too far!
    lmao. This explains America and EA's capitalism tbh
  • Options
    Scratch that; I haven't checked Metacritic in a while, and the user reviews for DAI are coming in, and it doesn't look good.

Looks like we may have to only rely on ME4. :'[
  • Options
    CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    gw-anigifenhanced-buzz-9464-1346347030-6.gif

I couldn't agree more, original poster.
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Fordee09 wrote: »
    Bioware has failed us once with a lack luster ending (ME3), and they failed us twice with a horrible game (DA2).

But, Jimil is right- they must not fail with Inquisition and Mass Effect 4, or, else I honestly for see the ending of EA's good reputation, what little they have of it, anyway.

Don't get me wrong I like TS4, but, it is a huge flop amonst the community as a whole.

I actually liked the mass effect ending... a lot of the comments about it I've seen are just people wanting a cliche ending.

Also, OP, do you have statistical proof that the sims 4 is a flop
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    edited November 2014

I actually liked the mass effect ending... a lot of the comments about it I've seen are just people wanting a cliche ending.

EA hasn't released sales figures yet. That doesn't necessarily imply that it's a flop, but it's definitely below EA's expectations.

EDIT: Worst spelling of "necessarily" ever.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

EA hasn't released sales figures yet. That doesn't necessarily imply that it's a flop, but it's definitely below EA's expectations.

Two months and still no figures... they must be hilariously bad.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Rinilex wrote: »

I wouldn't automatically call it "bad" but EA is not used to Sims games not reaching like a million sales within the first few weeks. TS4 probably sold less than that, which is the reason why EA hasn't released them yet.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    Rinilex wrote: »

I wouldn't automatically call it "bad" but EA is not used to Sims games not reaching like a million sales within the first few weeks. TS4 probably sold less than that, which is the reason why EA hasn't released them yet.

But to go this long implies to me it's something they really want to hush up/ keep on the down low.
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    lol, as first sim game who i played in dont know why of all that "nerd rage" if was about the bugs well maybe can diserver it but about "graphic and game design, the "disney" 🐸🐸🐸🐸, you already see the age to play this game???? in my country is 12+ a dont know your place but i can bet who at best will be 14, then this is a teen/child game, then expectating a "serious game" with realistic things is somehow "ridiculous", i dont have problem with current graphic and compared with the previous the sims (3) was hugh improviment, this game graphic is much, much more better than the previous one, just because instead of make sims who looks like real peoples their tried a more cartoon like peoples are raging, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, this design can give you much more freedom to make more unique type of sim in the new CAS which based on what i ear about the previous one is much more powerfull and make you can make much more unique sims, and honestly between a "realistic" and that one i prefer that one(i'm 36+ age) i know peoples like more realistic things, and want this game be their perfect dream life, but for this happen dont need to be "perfect realistic graphics", at last for me, the current sims at last for me look good enough to not be a full loney toon character and neither a perfect real person, if peoples wanting more "perfect realistic sims" them well you can find mods to do it, but this game was clear even before release about the type of characters their gonna do, you not was fooled, it not was which in their trailer their used realistic sims and in game others different, when you buy it you was aware of the type of character you will find here, then if you trully dont liked you could have the option of not "buy" or ask back your money(origin even have this returns policy, you had 7 days to test to see if you will keep or give back.

my only real concerns was toward the bugs and lack of open world and poor AI, graphic and others things i'm fine and indeed one of the reasons i bought this game was the graphics which was one of the same reasons i never bought others sims which i aways see not good enough to my taste and is not like i dont like "realistic graphics" but for me is more about the gameplay and what was promissed than what i true wanted which are 2 different things.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options

It was alright, yeah.

But, before ME3 came out- we were promised that all of the choices we made through-out the series would depend on the ending. But, instead it was just; "Pick Blue, Green, or Red."

The ending has since been partially picked, but, it still isn't the best. It was a stupid ending to an amazing trilogy.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    SimCity certainly was a flop. Maybe not financially but definitely from the standpoint of reception. I learned that I will never preorder another game (except from the most trusted 2K/Firaxis company) because of that thing.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    SimCity certainly was a flop. Maybe not financially but definitely from the standpoint of reception. I learned that I will never preorder another game (except from the most trusted 2K/Firaxis company) because of that thing.

That's what I learnt from 4. For some players it completely lacks what makes sims fun *for them*
  • Options

That's what I learnt from 4. For some players it completely lacks what makes sims fun *for them*

And I respect that. Not every game is for everyone. Somewhere out there they may be some person who actually liked SimCity. I'm not sure why they would, but that is their opinion to have. Meanwhile I've spent tons of hours playing Sim City since last year, Sim City 4 I mean.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

And I respect that. Not every game is for everyone. Somewhere out there they may be some person who actually liked SimCity. I'm not sure why they would, but that is their opinion to have. Meanwhile I've spent tons of hours playing Sim City since last year, Sim City 4 I mean.

Yeah sadly so-although traditionally the sims was a game for a wide audience, sims 4 defo isn't.
    Haha I've just bought that in the sales at a well known old game store-installed theme hospital/RCT1,2&3 and theme park too and oh how I love them even now-tbh it made me sad that sims 4 is so disappointing for me. I shouldn't need to play such old games, as great as they are! I want a lovely new sims game that's made for players like me!
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member

Yep, the only thing good that came out of that SC mess for me was a free copy of SC4 Deluxe - which I still play. :)
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options

Yep, the only thing good that came out of that SC mess for me was a free copy of SC4 Deluxe - which I still play. :)

I got a free copy of Dead Space and I haven't ever played it. But yet, I still like it more than SimCity 2013. :o
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    The Sims is EAs No.1 franchise. They are probably going to milk everything they can out of it. Heck don't be surprised if TS5 is just an old bagel with a plumbob on it. Some of these EA fans will still biy and it and say it has potential.

A nice point was made last night that said TS4 probably won't last as long as the other EPs. And I have to say that I believe it won't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    “We’re not working on Sims 5. We’re not thinking about Sims 5. If Sims 4 isn’t successful, there won’t be a Sims 5. It’s not all or nothing, per se, but something has to pay for 5.” --- Maxis Producer Grant Rodiek (comment has since been deleted by Rodiek)

Translation: If Maxis messes this one up like we did destroyed SimCity... then we're out of a job and EA is going to throw "the Sims" to some other studio to re-boot in a few years after the stink fades away.
  • Options
    “We’re not working on Sims 5. We’re not thinking about Sims 5. If Sims 4 isn’t successful, there won’t be a Sims 5. It’s not all or nothing, per se, but something has to pay for 5.” --- Maxis Producer Grant Rodiek (comment has since been deleted by Rodiek)

Translation: If Maxis messes this one up like we did destroyed SimCity... then we're out of a job and EA is going to throw "the Sims" to some other studio to re-boot in a few years after the stink fades away.

Nothing could resemble the mess that was SimCity. It's still sitting on my harddrive though like some oozing festering sore that won't heal over.