Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Winners Announced! ♦Fabulous Foundations♦ Come and look at the wonderful entries:-)

Comments

• Options
    snowdove58snowdove58 Posts: 1,699 Member
    The first time I didn't copy it to the notepad and save it. This makes me mad and it takes a whole lot to do that! Three hours I've been workin on It. Typing with 1 finger takes time. Thank you for telling me Rose.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Sorry snowdove. I first had that problem at Rose's surprise party. I spent hours trying to post my pictures and write up. I finally figured out that it didn't like me popping everything in. It would be too much like a spammer would do with just copying and pasting. So, typing something first and then adding a picture, but not too many finally worked.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Entry
    User name- snowdove58
    Link to lot- http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8467898
    Lot name- Modern Prairie Style
    Research:
    1910-1920 The Prairie Style is largely accredited to Frank LLoyd Wright, one of Americas most innovative and famous architects. His goal was to create organic architecture. Wright left the ornamentation and small rooms of the Victorian behind and went with open floor plans, with the living,dining,and kitchen and entry. Most of his houses had a centrally located fireplace. These homes were designed for families.

Capturelast_zps95cb77c3.jpg
    Capturefg_zps72252965.jpg

Wright used windows to bring in natural light, along with plants to be the decor and bring the outside in. Stucco, brick and wood along with earthy colors are used to bring the nature into the design,
    Captures_zpse4057d55.jpg

This home in Grand Rapids, Michigan was designed by Wright. It shows the length of the overhangs. Some are as long as 7 feet . The roofs are supported by horizontal steel I-beams. He used a white belt between the stories
    grandrapids_zps9da29ef6.jpg

Characteristics of the Prairie Style Home
    1.Hipped roof (sometimes gabled)pitched low
    2. Strong horizontal lines, Belt between floors. Over 2 floors is rare for a prairie
    3. Entrance is typically secluded. Only people who come to see you know how to get in.
    4. Windows are set in groups(sometimes art glass) and in geometric shapes.Window placement is an intricate part of the design. Their placement is thoughtfully arranged.
    5. House appears to grow out of the ground. very low and close to the terrain.
    6. Open interior spaces
    7. Central fireplace and chimney

I took my inspiration for the foundation from the style of this home.
    prairie_zpse99143e1.jpg
    Description: Modern Prairie Style was built in Riverview at 25 Hidden Grove. I placed the foundation backwards in order to have a larger front yard to landscape. The front door is hidden from the front view but easy to find. The carport holds 2 cars. The living room, dining and kitchen are open with a central fireplace. Modern appliances,alarms included. Double glass doors lead to a small back porch with a grill and a secluded picnic area. Upstairs opens into a small office area. there is a laundry,2 full bathrooms,a master bedroom, one bedroom with a twin bed, one bedroom with a twin bed, a crib and changing table. Plants are placed all through the home to bring the outdoors in. Upgraded unbreakable and fireproofed. Custard checked.
    Screenshot-45_zps741cd1db.jpg
    Screenshot-61_zpsceab7d07.jpg
    Screenshot-65_zps1c0a0d4d.jpg
    Screenshot-482_zpsdfbb5438.jpg
    Screenshot-602_zps7c7206ee.jpg
    Link to screnshots- http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/SaskiaDay/media/Modern Prairie Style/Screenshot-60_zps7c804d81.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0
    Post edited by snowdove58 on
  • Options
    Awesome! Love it! I know you are still editing your post, but so far, you really pegged it.
  • Options
    Mhamilton0911Mhamilton0911 Posts: 2,220 Member
    I really wish I would have seen this sooner! I have a good idea, and love using a started foundation, that is always my hardest part starting a build, the beginning.... But I am pretty busy... I'm loading my game now though, imma gonna try this!
  • Options
    Thank you ciane! I went blank on how I wrote it yesterday. I think I got everything. If you google Prairie Style with homes or architecture, you will go crazy.There are so many variations. I love this style and want to do a larger one.
  • Options
    I'm just sorry you lost all your hard work and had to put the pics and write up in again. I use word to type out my text and copy the links from photobucket into my word document. Then I strip off the front and back hyperlinking and codes so they are ready to just copy and paste here. I just can't copy everything in at once like we used to do on the other site.

All your pics look great. I found the tiled wood floor is a bit different: Is that a laminate look? I really love the landscaping you added. I love most of Frank Lloyd Wright' work, if not all of it. It is a great style and fits the foundation well. Now we just need whatsociallife to pop in and tell us if we deviated from her intention and need to redo some of it.
  • Options
    pchapmanpchapman Posts: 260 Member
    Great entries Ciane & Snowdove58.
    Origin ID for Sims 4: patti2297
    Follow me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/27640240@N08/

• Options
    CharlesTulipCharlesTulip Posts: 171 Member
    @snowdove58 looks great! I left a rec for you :p
    I like how subtle the colors on the inside are, and it was a really cool idea to make the front yard larger!
    2j0y05u.png
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Modern Prairie Style is a very nice home! @smowdove58 :) You have reflected the characteristics of your style of home very well in how you have built and furnished the home, and the layout of the home. It was great to read your research about the Frank Lloyd Wright style of home, and see the pictures of it. The aspects of the style home have been incorporated well into your build.Very nice exterior of it! The type of and placement of the windows in the build looks great. It looks nice how you have done the walled front pathway entrance to the property. The flowers and rocks features in the front area of the build looks nice. It looks very nice how you have placed the daffodils and rocks on the edges of the home. The car port looks great. Child sims will have fun playing on the swings and slide playground equipment. Great backyard area. Sims will enjoy cooking on the bbq and eating the meal on the picnic table there, enjoying being in the sunshine. It looks great the type of and how you have placed the trees in the corner nook and side areas. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior of the home! Very nice living room! Great window sitting alcove area there. Sims will enjoy sitting resting there with the sunlight coming in onto them through the windows. The hanging plants, floral picture on the wall and the potplant on the coffee table are nice touches there for sims to enjoy seeing whilst sitting there warming up in front of the fire. Nice patterned floor rug that you have place there, and the clock on the fireplace is a great home touch. Very nice tv watching and book reading nook. Sims will enjoy sitting resting on the armchairs there in front of the tv, watching tv together and reading a book. It looks great how you have placed the bookcases there. Sims will have fuh playing chess there. Very nice dining room! Nice type of dining seats that you have used and the green colour of them looks nice. Very nice curtains that you have used there are the recolouring of them looks very nice with the furniture there, The leaves on the walls is a nice touch. The yellow rose on the table is nice for sims to see when dining there. Sims will enjoy listening to music from the stereo whilst eating their meals. It looks great how you have placed the nectar racks near the wIndow for sims to enjoy having a drink with their meals. The fruit bowl, glasses/bottle and breadsticks on the side wall tables are nice touches in the room . Very nice design of the kitchen! It looks great how you have done the corner of kitchen cabinets. The brick work texture of the walls looks great. The hanging apron on the wall is a nice home touch. Very nice masterbedroom! It looks very nice the type of curtains that you have placed on the bedhead windows and nice colour of the bed and curtains. The plants in the rooms add nice touches in the room. It looks very nice how you have placed plants throughout the home, to reflect the style of the home. Nice window arnchair sitting area for sims to enjoy resting there.Very nice upstairs landing study area! Nice leather seating armchair for sims to enjoy sitting at the study desk table and using the computer or having a read, with the sunlight coming in through the windows. The windows that you have used there look nice. Nice single bedroom. The plant and the bear clock on the dresser and the tree on the bed side wall are nice natural touches in the room. Nice shades of brown you have used in the room. Very nice recolouring of the bed and curtains in the nursery! The teddy looks cute in the cot! All the colours that you have used in the bedrooms give a nice calming and natural themed feel and look to the rooms.
    It is a very nice home! :)
  • Options
    thanks rosemow! I'm trying to get my kids to eat their dinner and head to their rooms! I need some calm building time! I have a good idea, i just hope i can make it look like what i've got in my head!
  • Options
    QUESTION:
    Adding decking? OK as long as it's the decking tool (which doesn't require stairs and has the free wood pattern on it) and not foundation.
    can I CASt this? i mean, change that wood pattern to something more appealing and cohesive to my build?
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain @Mhamilton0911 that the restriction is only on the use of type of foundation and that she is only meaning that it is the "foundation" that is "decking" as opposed to a "slab foundation" that we are allowed to use. I think the customizing has no restrictions, but of course, only @whatsociallife can answer for sure.
  • Options
    ok, I might not need to add anymore anyways, we'll see... Thanks for the quick reply!
  • Options
    DrewRavidaDrewRavida Posts: 335 Member
    I would love to join in :) I've downloaded the foundation, and it was very challenging. I'll be posting some WIP in a few days...
  • Options
    Ivanna420Ivanna420 Posts: 5,432 Member
    @whatsociallife, Just wanted to let you know the spreadsheet is up to date to this point and ready to go when the time comes and that all 5 entry's have cleared their CUSTARD checks. :D
    140820-HBmsSZamsz7b.gif
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Is there a list of entrants we can look at and see the entries?

I have started on a second one, it's called "Stick Style", a style that came just before "Victorian".

Work in progress

screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Your WIP looks very nice! @Kgaff :) The exterior design of it is very nice! The roofing and tower is very nice! It looks very nice how you have used the roof decor, and the colour of the exterior looks very nice. Very nice wraparound porch! It is looking great! :)
  • Options
    DaiyuDaiyu Posts: 771 Member
    I've been keeping my eye on this competition, whilst I diligently worked away on my entry, and just love the variety of projects thus far. This type of competition presents us creators with a fun and unique challenge. Thanks to @whatsociallife for creating and hosting.

Please accept my entry as follows.
    ———————————————————————————————
    Entry Form:
    Username: Daiyu
    Link to download: thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8469469
    Name of lot: L’essenza Italianate
    Research: I decided to use the Italianate style of architecture for this build.
    The elements of Italianate style include:
    - Low-pitched or nearly-flat roofs, frequently hipped
    - Tall appearance, with 2-4 stories
    - Imposing cornice structures
    - High square tower/cupola
    - Balustraded balconies
    - Picturesque aesthetics
    Inspiration Pictures:
    Inspiration_zps896ad803.jpg~original
    Description:
    An Italianate of compact proportions. Three bed, two and half bathrooms, with large reception room and grand entrance. Formal dining, large out door living spaces. Small kitchen garden area, and a garage/hobby shed.
    Photos:
    FabFoundations_zpsf4c5ca07.jpg~original
    ———————————————————————————————

Thanks again, and best wishes to all.
  • Options
    Sweet2Sweet2 Posts: 1,736 Member
    That looks really great @Daiyu
    My Page Another lot and Household Uploaded :)

• Options
    Beautiful entries added, and on their way! Rec'd all finished ones.
  • Options
    @Kgaff, I love learning about all the styles as well as seeing how they turn out. Your WIP is looking great.
    @Daiyu, I love that style! The inspiration pics are awesome! I love your landscaping and how you laid the lot so well. The gazebo and shed fit in perfectly. So much fun you had with all the ornate CASting!
  • Options
    i'll add a WIP later, i've been building, and I think it's coming out ok, it's very challenging to not alter the foundation at all!