The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What I don't get about reviews of TS4

Comments

• Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    pguida wrote: »
    nilanius wrote: »
    [*] I needs to run smoother than Sims 3 currently does on my machine
    [*] The load screens must be far shorter than Sims 3's load screens

Is that compared to TS3 base game with no content added at all, like EPs, SPs and DLC?

Yes, even the base game for me loaded slow. Think it used to be at like 8-9 minutes from base game. TS4's load screens are 25-35 seconds for me, somtimes up to a minute if I am connected online.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    pguida wrote: »
    [*] I needs to run smoother than Sims 3 currently does on my machine
    [*] The load screens must be far shorter than Sims 3's load screens

Is that compared to TS3 base game with no content added at all, like EPs, SPs and DLC?

Yes, even the base game for me loaded slow. Think it used to be at like 8-9 minutes from base game.

On a calculator? Basegame alone in my 2009 PC loaded under 2 minutes... That was only dualcore and 4GB RAM...

• Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    Trick wrote: »
    Kittenkiss wrote: »

Hahaha! How dramatic. Truth be told I spent much of my time in WoW pretending to be a guy. Much easier.

Sounds like my wife. Strangely, that's how we met. Long, weird story, that one...

Haha...plenty of weird stories are borne in WoW. Made lots of friends too, and am still in contact with em.

• Options
    MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    Crackseed wrote: »
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    EvE Online, a Terrible game for Terrible People, But it can be the best experience you ever get out of a vidya game. White Knuckle, Pulse Pounding, Sweatty Palms excitement 5% of the time, the other 95%..... Spreadsheets.

I wonder how the good people of these forums would do there? lol

also the Image does really tell the story of AAA releases in the modern age.

On Topic: With babies actually being sims, this means they could be Toddlers one day.

Most folks from here wouldn't survive a few hours on the forums there much less the game xD

Piffle! I spent many a year playing WoW, and hanging out in OT. And I can sulk about toddlers too. ;)

WoW? And WoW forums? That's child's play compared to EVE. While I definitely think Blizzard's boards are pretty toxic, EVE Online is a whole level of angst, drama and sheer vile.

When you have a game where people have FLOWN to another country to CUT someone's internet connection physically to prevent them from showing up for a key fight, that's just beyond normal methods for most of the gaming world.

I won't even touch on how there are Russian millionaires who buy $250k worth of game time to keep their Alliance members from having to work/pay for their subs so they can wage a 6 month (real time mind you) war OR the exiled French national who's on the FBI watch list that nearly brought the game to it's knees in several ways.

Anyway, ahem >.> 🐸🐸🐸🐸 my OT drift!

EVE Online is a brutal game. My husband and I played it when it first released. A year later, I knew it was not for me; too easy to lose all your hard work and I am just not cut-throat enough to play it!
    My husband and some of his friends had some grand fun though, even my husband left though eventually. Not enough return on fun for the work and stress. :D And their forums?! No thanks! I had enough of that kind of behavior years ago with the .alt boards.

• Options
    constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member
    there's evidence in how quickly and how often these threads go off-topic that shows how badly we need a Chat thread or sth
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2014
    constance wrote: »
    there's evidence in how quickly and how often these threads go off-topic that shows how badly we need a Chat thread or sth

I think that's the real reason they get closed. They're so off topic.

It's got nothing to do with the heated discussions.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member

I like to pretend we finish the topic at hand and decide we'd rather all cuddle together in the thread post-argument-coitus and discuss more gentle, non-Sim things.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Yeah, the feature they brought in was cross realm zones. Made my passenger mounts useless, because it would eject the passengers, it would lock me up when I crossed a zone border for a few seconds then flash my character in a bright light, and many basic event functions were broken by it too. Their lead developer literally said "Those who don't like cross realm zones just want a single player game, and should go play skyrim instead." For me, that was the final straw.

I remember that. My son actually went to Skyrim after that. Lol.

He's back at WOW now though. I scoff at him.

I stopped trying to post sense on the WoW forums years ago. I can't believe it is almost 10 years! I still play, but at this point, I play to raid. We've had the same core raid group for years and spending time in WoW with them is something I look forward to each week!

They did fix that cross realm zones issue. My seven-year-old has been slowly leveling up his Panda Warrior the past few years (with help) and I fly him to different zones often. Now your passenger appears to fall off for a second, but then they re-appear on your mount. I do remember all the uproar about that blog post though. Thankfully, most of Blizzard's team don't seem to be like that. I still like Blizzard as a company. They do actually seem to care about their products and try to deliver a fun experience. And when they make a mistake (i.e. D3's AH), they usually admit it and fix it.

• Options
    Yeah, the feature they brought in was cross realm zones. Made my passenger mounts useless, because it would eject the passengers, it would lock me up when I crossed a zone border for a few seconds then flash my character in a bright light, and many basic event functions were broken by it too. Their lead developer literally said "Those who don't like cross realm zones just want a single player game, and should go play skyrim instead." For me, that was the final straw.

I stopped trying to post sense on the WoW forums years ago. I can't believe it is almost 10 years! I still play, but at this point, I play to raid. We've had the same core raid group for years and spending time in WoW with them is something I look forward to each week!

They did fix that cross realm zones issue. My seven-year-old has been slowly leveling up his Panda Warrior the past few years (with help) and I fly him to different zones often. Now your passenger appears to fall off for a second, but then they re-appear on your mount. I do remember all the uproar about that blog post though. Thankfully, most of Blizzard's team don't seem to be like that. I still like Blizzard as a company. They do actually seem to care about their products and try to deliver a fun experience. And when they make a mistake (i.e. D3's AH), they usually admit it and fix it.

Yep - CRZ is still an annoyance to me when it comes to trying to get rare spawns (Freaking Minfernals!) but it does not do all that irritating stuttering/lagging like when it first went in. The realm connections were MUCH better though :)

I still play as well and I fear for my free time in November with WoD AND DAI dropping at once plus Pokemon ORAS.

WTB Time Machine PST.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options

I think that's why he still plays. It's the gang thing.
  • Options
    htairchix3htairchix3 Posts: 875 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    After reading this thread, i'll throw in my two cents. Call me a hater, I don't care. I am not happy with the direction that the Sims 4 is going, and that is becouse my way to play has been cut out. I don't think that after 14 years I should have to change the way I have enjoyed playing, just to "fit in" to anyones vision of how they think I should play. I love playing generational, all lifestates, and to have a open sandbox to do whatever my heart desired. Not have a lifestate cut out, and a bunch of goals to meet. I love RPG's, but if I wanted to play one I would. I played the Sims becouse it was differn't with endless possibilities. That doesn't seem to be the direction this game is going. No I haven't bought it, and I have no intention too, unless my way to play comes back. I don't know why people say that the only people that are unhappy are the ones who loved Sims 3. I love Sims 2 much more then 3, and I still see no appeal in 4. I could care less how anyone rates the game. I don't know why anyone would. So I will continue to play the other versions of the Sims, and I will continue to voice my disapointment, as long as I see fit.

I agree! Well said, and you covered everything. :D
  • Options

Yep - CRZ is still an annoyance to me when it comes to trying to get rare spawns (Freaking Minfernals!) but it does not do all that irritating stuttering/lagging like when it first went in. The realm connections were MUCH better though :)

I still play as well and I fear for my free time in November with WoD AND DAI dropping at once plus Pokemon ORAS.

WTB Time Machine PST.

I don't mind the combined realms at all, but I did give up trying to get any rare mounts or anything out in the world. I just don't have the patience for it now! I am looking forward to the new EP though, I am hoping it will draw back more of my friends to play again and I like the idea of the Garrisons and hopefully it will not be as grindy as Mists has been. And the new Civ game is releasing, and I am still very into Banished. So not enough time for all the games I want to play!

• Options
    htairchix3htairchix3 Posts: 875 Member
    I'm so sick of reading "They are trolls since they haven't given a positive review of the game." People are missing the point. Yes, I will agree, there are a small bunch who actually may be trolls. But the lager body who have been giving negative reviews aren't from people who are trolls, or throwing and tantrum, no, it's from fans of the Sims series since day one. They are not happy with the road that EA has taken with the Sims. And are they not allowed to express how they feel? their frustration? Those who are in love with Sims 4, are they the only one entitled to share their feelings about the game? I've played it now. Have I returned it? No, do I like it? Eh, I'm still on the fence. For me is Sims 4 a Sims game deserving the title "The Sims"? No.

For me it resembled the Sims but it's not the Sims. They wanted to return to the core, to the beginning, the meat and bones of the Sims, well I feel. Again, Me, no one else, I feel they missed the mark. It no longer feels like the sandbox game I have come to love. Yes, Sims 3 had it drawn back. When it was first released I played that game for a month straight, then shelved it until WA came out. But it at least felt more like the Sims than this game does. Am I frustrated? Yes. I want to love this game. I want to spend hours playing it. Have I given up on the game? No, hopefully with some EPs and possibly free EA content, this game will be fun.

But like those who love and enjoy this game, I want my voice to be heard. We all paid for the game, and we all have the right to let EA know how we feel about it, without being labeled a troll, or a hater, or any other name others want to give.

We need to quiet with the hurt feelings and feeling like we are being personally attacked. We should be able to discuss a game, both the pros and the cons like civilized people, and not name calling and mud slinging. And most of all we should be respecting each other, even if we have different views on a subject.

I agree with everything you just said! You said it much better than I ever could. ;)
  • Options

Friends are friends, no matter where you meet them. :)

When I have to explain raiding to some of my family members (most of which do not game), I liken it to a sports team. We're a team working towards goals and trying to 'win.' It takes a lot of teamwork and can be very frustrating, but it is lots of fun, too! And the friendships you make can last a lifetime.
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member

heh took them a long time to fix CRZ then. But I moved on to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Now that is a fun game :) When I want to hack, slash and kill monsters, I play it. When I want a more peaceful life type game, Sims 4 fills that niche :)
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options

When I have to explain raiding to some of my family members (most of which do not game), I liken it to a sports team. We're a team working towards goals and trying to 'win.' It takes a lot of teamwork and can be very frustrating, but it is lots of fun, too! And the friendships you make can last a lifetime.

Oh God. I can't remember which one he was playing for a while, but it WAS like a sports thing. They had meetings and got together to watch scrims like it was a sports party. I try to avoid online games because of my addiction to them. It's bad enough my offline games lull me in. It's nice though, I'm the only one he can talk to about it.
  • Options

Oh God. I can't remember which one he was playing for a while, but it WAS like a sports thing. They had meetings and got together to watch scrims like it was a sports party. I try to avoid online games because of my addiction to them. It's bad enough my offline games lull me in. It's nice though, I'm the only one he can talk to about it.

League of Legends?
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member

I like to pretend we finish the topic at hand and decide we'd rather all cuddle together in the thread post-argument-coitus and discuss more gentle, non-Sim things.

lmao i wonder if a chat thread would be closed tho
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    > @Jarsie9 said:
    > fullspiral wrote: »
    >
    > People dislike the vision these devs had for this series.....it went way off from the last series. But 3 went way off from the one before it too. I'm glad they are bringing it back to what it's supposed to be.
    >
    > I happen to like that they went back to roots. Now to phase out the idea of advancement. And just let the sims be sims. Completely. They can if they want, but it's not the role of the game to decide. That's for the gamer to decide.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, I disagree. It's up to the company who makes the game to make the game as entertaining as possible to fit various styles of gameplay, not just one. You are now making the mistake of blaming the gamer, rather than the game for their dissatisfaction. The truth is that players expected the same quality of gameplay that they got from the other iterations of The Sims. Maybe they could live with limited venues if there were a greater variety of venues, with both towns having completely different venues from each other. And while they have improved on some aspects of the game, it's quite obvious that the game wasn't originally intended to be family oriented, but was geared mostly towards young adults. I agree with those who say that they feel The Sims 4 was originally designed to be an online game. Having played The Sims Online, there are certain aspects that remind me of that game. There's no reason why all life stages couldn't be included in the game; after all, they added babies (probably at the last minute) children, teens and elders. And while they promised all life stages would be included (in the beginning) they changed their mind. For those who love generational gameplay this can be a turn-off. Sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that "If the gamer doesn't like it, it's the gamer's fault, not EA's". It's a dismissive attitude to have. It's good that you like the game the way it is, but even I have to admit that it could have been better.

A like for you Jarsie9! I agree. I like the game but I agree with your points of dissatisfaction. However I do feel that many Sims 3 players are dissing the game because they were hoping for a remake of Sims 3 and are unwilling to admit that style of play is not for everyone.
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    > @kremesch73 said:
    > Jazzy6897 wrote: »
    >
    > kremesch73 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > SimChic1 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Because hating on a product of EA is cool.
    >
    > Most of the reviews on those sites aren't even fair. It's just a bunch of people putting hate on the game. They have no reasoning whatsoever. It's basically just "This game is terrible!" without a why it's terrible. It's just coming from hate.
    >
    >
    >
    > #GoesBothWays
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > True it can go both ways.
    >
    > I've seen people who just love the game, which is fine, but they'll jump on anyone who says something negative about it. Plus, they don't really have any valid reasoning either. It's basically just "I LOVE The Sims 4!" without a why they love it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Do we really need to say why, though? We're not the ones who are upset.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The way I see it, yes.
    >
    > If the people who hate the game have to give a reason why they hate it, I feel the people who love the game have to give are reason as well.
    >
    > Person who hates it: "THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE! IT'S A PIECE OF PLUM! I RATE IT ZERO! THIS IS GARBAGE!"
    >
    > Person who loves it: "THIS GAME IS AMAZING! IT'S PERFECT! I RATE A TEN! IT'S THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD!"
    >
    > The people who hate it will jump on someone who says something positive about the game, and the people who love it will jump on someone who says something negative about the game.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The thing is, we're not the ones who keep repeating why we like it. After we see so many people repeating why they hate it, we can't help but respond with one sentence. Not all of us like repeating ourselves, and those that do make things old real fast.
    >
    > We get it. You don't like the game, and we know all the reasons why. Some of us felt the same about S3. Would you appreciate it if I were on the S3 forum at the beginning continuosly raging about why I hated it? Granted, I shared in the threads in TS2 where others felt the same, and worse, many of the S3 players continusously came to the S2 forum with threads telling us we didn't know what a good game was and that we should move onto TS3, etc... etc... I can't even be bothered going into the list of it.
    >
    > It left me feeling like the TS3 community is the most aggressive Sims community since the beginning of the series. I don't get it.
    >
    > ETA: and I don't feel sorry for any of you.

This! Exactly what I have said and experienced. I hated Sims 3 but I didn't go on the Sims 3 forums day after day raging about it. I stayed on the Sims 2 forum and talked with others who felt the same way, and you are right about the Sims 3 "visitors" who would show up constantly just to mess with us, and tell us how backward we were not to love the so called Open World with all its rabbit holes.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    While I can't speak for everyone, I think it's possible that their hearts just can't connect with it like it has with the other sim games. I've been a simmer for as long as I can remember, playing/buying basegames + expansions + stuffpacks through TS1 - now TS4. I liked all of them generally with a few goods and bad, but it was the connection i had between them that kept me playing. TS4, for reasons I'll never fully know, hasn't fully capture my heart as the others. And feels like it goes beyond the whole 'lack of content' or any of that, it's just the personal feel of the game..idk It's just hard to connect with it. But I think that happens with many players for Sim games actually. My older brother actually hated the sims 2, which is why he stopped playing the sims with me once I got the sims 2; and like you @Crackseed , I never understood why on earth would he dislike it (still don't lol). Even during the sims 3, I was a little nervous about it, but I instantly loved it, because like TS1 and TS2, I felt the connection with it. However I do know that many simmers did feel disconnected from TS3, and once again I was totally confused by it as a young teen. But I think now, I finally understand it. Now, I don't "hate" the game, I can honestly say I've never "hated" a sims game since there's always some sort of good from them and there's always room from improvement in some ways. But for now, I just don't feel a connection with it. I can honestly say I've been on both sides of the fence. I've been the puzzled simmer who didn't understand why someone would would dislike or feel disconnected from a game. And with the same token I've been the simmer who feels disconnected with the game. So I see both sides. I say, if you enjoy the game, don't allow the ones who are disconnected to effect you, the reasons could be anything (and you could hurt your brain by thinking of it...trust me I know that feeling all too well @_@). But at the end of it, you can't force someone to like a game. Just let them be.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @astridentanja

My post went all weird. So, I had to edit it. I like that they have the draft feature, but there should really be a way to delete them when you change your mind and want to say something to someone else intead.

Anyway, what I was trying to say:

The divide between the players. I know a lot of players like the realism. I understand how the open world appeals to that, as well as toddlers. I also find the terrain and the look of the world in TS3 a little more realistic than TS4. To those people, I can see TS4 as pointless and not having much to offer. There's another side to that coin. Other's like to get away from the realism and have more of a stylistic/cartoon/anime style. They just like to have fun. Not having toddlers and such doesn't bother them because it wasn't realism they were looking for. To them, it's pointless to have those things to begin with.

Of course, I'm only talking about gameplay. The builders are a different story. They would most definitely have been spoiled by the colour/style options and terrain tools in TS3. Building was one of my favourite things in TS2. I do find limitations in this one without floorElevation, moveObjects, and terrain tools. I can't see a real divide amongst those players. TS4 doesn't offer much in that area, and I hope that will change.

As for story tellers, I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing of that style of play. I'm not that creative. So, I can't even begin to guess if there's a divide among them with this one.
    Thanks for explaining what you meant and you're completely right. This is why I definitely can't be considered a 'true fan' of Sims, I'm clearly not. I don't feel any loyalty towards it, the way a lot of other simmers do. I abandoned the first game due to the fact I didn't like the gameplay; the concept however - playing with people and living their miniature lifes - I loved immediately. I completely lack that feeling of nostalgia when I see a llama in my game, or the freezer bunny, or a cowplant. The game has to conquer me in other ways, and each game has to do that all over again.

If another company creates a life simulation game tomorrow that appeals to me I'll move over without blinking an eye. Which means I'm not 'offended' or disappointed about 4 in a way people that don't like S3 because it's so different from 1 and 2 appear to be. The creators of The Sims owe me nothing.

I like that realism, I would like the sims themselves to be more realistic (let's say Medieval way, but with more opportunities in CAS). The cartoonic sims and the Looney Tunes landscape are absolutely not my cup of tea. I think... Or are they...?
    I do love animation movies, I do like cartoons (a lot, on tv and in books). I'm quite childish that way lol.
    So to be honest I'm not really sure if I wouldn't be able to enjoy this game 'funny'. I just think that part is badly done in S4. I like cartoons, but not the way this game looks. To me the sims in 1 and 2 look way funnier, in a more mature way. Like that trailer of Sims 2 that keeps popping up every now and then on the forums? I giggle every time I see it come by (and watch it every time it does). S4 hasn't made me giggle once.

I really could live with the neighborhood system and the loading screens. Back in 1989 I played this game (with five pixel characters in it ;-)) that had loading screens. I don't remember minding them, I loved that game.
    It is true one of the reasons I love S3 is the fact that the world looks so real (realistic-ish and open), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to get used to another system.

But to me there are more things wrong with S4. It's buggy in a way S3 most certainly wasn't in the beginning and the core issue of the game (emotions) just doesn't work out properly. I played it, after that I went back to S3 (because I want to finish my legacy, not because I was that dissatisfied) and I just couln't help noticing my so called 'robotic' sims don't act all that differently. Their moves aren't as smooth, that's for sure, but they walk about in my game and do the things I want them to do. When they're sad they are sad, when they are happy they are happy, they interact (also spontaneously) with other sims, for me S4 just doesn't add that much in that department the way it promised.
    And than there's the lighting inside house. A year ago people here were complaining about lighting in S3, how bad it was (dark) and how beautiful this was done in S4, based on renders. Well, it's not. My sims indoors look much much better than they do in S4. Inside their houses they look flat, dark or - when they do catch a spark of light - yellow. I mind about things like that.

By the way, you said something like '6 people liking realism and a dozen liking something else'.
    Back on topic: if that's the case, how come the game rates so poorly on Amazon (which is the subject of this topic after all)? And why do I come across all kinds of Sims 2 and Sims 3 pictures everywhere on the internet that are cc'd to a kind of realism beside which my sims pale into insignificance ;-)?

I think liking or not liking S4 (or S3 for that matter) is rather complicated and personal.
    But at the same time I think there are just things wrong with this new game and people have every right to criticize that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    I believe this game has become something of a laughing stock and has been presented in that manner for quite a while now; long before it was actually released. Now I will say even though I'm personally liking the game this is not at all unjustified; EA really messed things up in the way they handled everything running up to the release - it was like watching a really bad circus performance and to me that harmed the game a great deal. EA themselves also do not have the best reputation and as a company they are frequently the butt of the joke. Combine that and add in articles written by so-called "gamers" who have probably never understood the franchise never mind played it before and you have a huge mess on your hands.

From my perspective it's "cool" to be negative about the game (or indeed any widely publicised thing / person that you're supposed to hate - i.e. Miley Cyrus). Now unfortunately this has the tendency to breed something of a sheep mentality where others see a lot of people ragging on a product (or person) and instead of thinking for themselves or ignoring it because they don't have a clue what the product / person in question has done to deserve such negativity they decide to join in; this undermines the genuine feedback from people who were genuinely disappointed for one reason or another. To put it bluntly - it's stupid and I wish websites that display reviews had it so you could only post a review if you've bought the product, it'd reduce some of the nonsense.

Looking at those figures and given the kind of mentality of the people who use those websites (Amazon and Metacritic have always seemed rather prone to thoughtless, needless whining to me - there are a lot of reviews with substance, but there are just as many reviews that seem as though they've been written by three year olds having a temper tantrum) I'd probably take about 3/4 or even half of those negative comments as being genuine. The rest? Utter rubbish from people who barely know what The Sims is never mind actually playing any of the games. But that's just my stance on it based on what I've seen with other games that have been completely torn to shreds even though there was nothing wrong with them (DmC springs to mind - people got all upset about it JUST because they changed Dante).

Then you also have to consider that people who are angry / upset are more likely to leave a review than people who are satisfied. I've got the game and while it isn't my favourite game in the world, I'm enjoying it enough to feel I haven't wasted my money on it - but I haven't left a review at all. With this in mind, combined with the fact that the negative reviews are (again IMO) going to be bloated by false entries the actual game reception is probably more closer to 50/50. Which again, to me, sounds about right. It's an OK game, not fantastic but not absolutely dire either.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    OP, you are funny because you ignored the very reasons you aren't happy with the game, and listed many reasons why so many aren't happy with the game but in the same breath said you don't get the negative reviews. Perhaps some of the things you listed are extremely important to others? Maybe more so than to you. That would result in those people giving it a negative review. Not hard to understand. What I don't get is those who praise something as if it's the best thing since sliced bread when it is bug riddled, unfinished, some things not fully fleshed out, and make no sense when the player tried to do those things in the game, left out staples of the series. Like, yeah the floating Sim head is a staple of The Sims. Can the game be played without it? Yes, but no longer do people see The Sims as The Sims without that head and only a white outline around them to let the player know they have the correct Sim selected.

I don't get why some say it is the best game ever, but in the same breath say it crashes, it burns, they lose Sims, the Sim didn't react to death, or baby or whatever. Then they continue to say the Sims' emotions jump back and forth in a heart beat before they can even fill one of the related whims. And then they make the excuses it's just the base game, it will get better with EPs.

Nobody ever has to 'buy' anything to know if they like something or not. They may like 'some' aspects of a game or whatever in this life, but that doesn't mean they have to buy it. I have stayed away for the past week (tried) on commenting on this forum since I am currently playing TS3, but you know what, where are all the happy threads? You won't find many, and though some were telling all of us who don't like the game all that much to leave, where are your happy threads? As a matter of fact the buyer's negatives are starting to out weigh those who didn't buy this game. More threads on here about this bug or that buy or things like 'oh c'mon EA!' about things they think are implemented half a.rs.ed

Yes, multitasking is improved, but the Sims have been multitasking since the TS1. Not as many actions but still not so amazing when it causes the Sim to ignore your commands, now is it? It's great but isn't fully fleshed out. So that's a neutral vote on that one.

People were not expecting EA to take this game into tablet land, and anyone who knows a little bit about tablets and how those games play and look or browser games know this game is a hybrid or left over parts of an earlier online game. This is basically what upsets the larger fan base, because EA didn't listen to start with, ignored the fans telling them no more online TSO, but hey, you got the left overs for it. And some of us wanted it delayed for legit reasons, look at your bugs and your small, tiny worlds, so how you like it now? Worth $70? Maybe to some but some of us think it deserved more time like another year, impatience from EA and the impatient players are the reason this game is what it is.

So, might as well suck up those bugs and lack of fleshed out things because most contributed to the problem.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I believe this game has become something of a laughing stock and has been presented in that manner for quite a while now; long before it was actually released. Now I will say even though I'm personally liking the game this is not at all unjustified; EA really messed things up in the way they handled everything running up to the release - it was like watching a really bad circus performance and to me that harmed the game a great deal. EA themselves also do not have the best reputation and as a company they are frequently the butt of the joke. Combine that and add in articles written by so-called "gamers" who have probably never understood the franchise never mind played it before and you have a huge mess on your hands.

From my perspective it's "cool" to be negative about the game (or indeed any widely publicised thing / person that you're supposed to hate - i.e. Miley Cyrus). Now unfortunately this has the tendency to breed something of a sheep mentality where others see a lot of people ragging on a product (or person) and instead of thinking for themselves or ignoring it because they don't have a clue what the product / person in question has done to deserve such negativity they decide to join in; this undermines the genuine feedback from people who were genuinely disappointed for one reason or another. To put it bluntly - it's stupid and I wish websites that display reviews had it so you could only post a review if you've bought the product, it'd reduce some of the nonsense.

Looking at those figures and given the kind of mentality of the people who use those websites (Amazon and Metacritic have always seemed rather prone to thoughtless, needless whining to me - there are a lot of reviews with substance, but there are just as many reviews that seem as though they've been written by three year olds having a temper tantrum) I'd probably take about 3/4 or even half of those negative comments as being genuine. The rest? Utter rubbish from people who barely know what The Sims is never mind actually playing any of the games. But that's just my stance on it based on what I've seen with other games that have been completely torn to shreds even though there was nothing wrong with them (DmC springs to mind - people got all upset about it JUST because they changed Dante).

Then you also have to consider that people who are angry / upset are more likely to leave a review than people who are satisfied. I've got the game and while it isn't my favourite game in the world, I'm enjoying it enough to feel I haven't wasted my money on it - but I haven't left a review at all. With this in mind, combined with the fact that the negative reviews are (again IMO) going to be bloated by false entries the actual game reception is probably more closer to 50/50. Which again, to me, sounds about right. It's an OK game, not fantastic but not absolutely dire either.
    Isn't 2,5 out of 5 exactly 50/50?
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top