Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What I don't get about reviews of TS4

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    @Zolt65 Thanks ;)
    I took the top review:
    I've been a Sim gamer from the very beginning and have followed it the whole time. Rather than write a real review, I'm just going to give you my impressions. Do with them what you will.

- **First and foremost, the game seems completely pointless**. I really don't understand what we're supposed to get out of this game that is so new and unique. Emotions? Yea...i guess those are interesting, but they really play less of a part than I expected. They're treated as an afterthought and more of an animated reflection of a character's mood than anything. It does change some actions every now and then, but since your moods/emotions are constantly changing...the whole thing comes off messy. Better hurry up and use that special action before your mood changes!!...oops, too late. Or, your emotions prevent you from doing something you want/need to do. Other than emotions, there is really nothing "new" that is overly significant as far as actual gameplay goes.

- The game has reverted back to it's older style of gameplay. The Sims 3 was a step forward with it's open world, creative tools, vibrant graphics...all gone. This looks, feels, and plays like an up-scaled version of Sims 2. Menus between traveling, very limited spots to travel to, no cars, no walks around town or to the beach, no clickable world map, no jobs to follow Sims to, no story progression...nothing. Your existence is so lonely in Sims 4...and dull. There isn't even a "town" to speak of really, just neighborhoods. Again, I have no idea what it is we're supposed to be so excited about? The new create-a-Sim is pretty cool...but...unless you want to create an amazing looking sim (which is hard with the clothing choices at the moment) and do NOTHING with them...you're going to be disappointed. This feels very much like it started out as a mobile game.

- Creativity is almost non-existent. Okay, so you can't make everything any color or pattern you want. That's fine, I guess. But it goes way beyond that. The choice you have for items is terrible. Sure, SOME items might have an extensive choice of colors, but most of the time its a multicolored combination. For example, if I wanted something in white/brown because one of those colors matches my interior...and it's not available...too bad. You'll have to choose the white/black combination instead. The choices in general feel like a bad beta test. **Try as you want, in this game your house can NEVER be exactly the way you want.** Let that sink in for a minute. At least 50% of sims gaming is designing a home for your sim.

- Remember how they kept saying how "smart" sims were going to be? Yea, they're not. My Sim wasn't smart enough to stop typing on the computer long enough to go to the bathroom. Does that sound "smart" to you? Are we really still dealing with autonomy like that 4 generations in? Yes, they can multitask SOMETIMES (the one noticeable improvement), but half the time you don't even know exactly what they're doing. My Sim was at the club and I had her go to talk to someone at the bar. She goes BEHIND the bar, and starts talking to the entire group. When i had her order a drink, she continued to stand there talking, and not even to the person I requested. I would think having smarter sims wouldn't require me to make essential choices for them, but it does pretty often. I also expected some of these "smarter" sims to be able to complete some of their "wants" on their own. They rarely do.

- Shoddy Programming, glitches, and pathway problems. Thats right, in addition to the terrible controls, pathways are STILL a problem.

- I'm not happy this game is a failure thus far. In fact, I'm HEARTBROKEN. But, yes, that's how bad it is. I understand that some people like the game. I don't know why, but thats fine. Regardless, I feel like that is part of the problem. This game reflects the attitude of "You'll buy it anyway" and i cant stand that. This has such a huge following and is such a cash flow for EA that they don't even have to try. Here is a vastly inferior base game that will end up costing you hundreds more if you want to *really experience* and have fun with it. I say enough is enough. For $70, I expect something worth my time from the BEGINNING.

- I really could go on...but I'm not because I know many others will. Here is the bottom line, this is not a brand new game. This is a rehash of a time in Sims history that I thought had been left behind. This is step back. EA needs to decide if they want to make a cartoony time waster or a legitimate realistic life simulator. (Even something in between would be nice) They've had 14 years to get it right. Instead, it's just getting worse...and more expensive.
    Now, I do understand one can utterly disagree with this, but this just isn't trolling or hating or just shouting something is it?

I'm wondering if it also has something to do with 6 of us wanting realism, and the other dozen wanting the opposite.
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying...

5JZ57S6.png
  • Gawdfather1Gawdfather1 Posts: 601 Member
    Crackseed wrote: »
    What really grinds my gears is the term fanboy. What, why you gotta be all sexist with it? Fangirls exist you know. They're no longer mythical unicorns. Gawd.

The nerve of some people.

I know, that guy who posted that, he's a real "Plum"

(Really, I was too lazy to insult fangirls as well)
    Banners.jpg
  • CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    What really grinds my gears is the term fanboy. What, why you gotta be all sexist with it? Fangirls exist you know. They're no longer mythical unicorns. Gawd.

You misogynist jerk! Fangirls do nothing, they're always the victim! All the fanboys are at fault!!!
  • horseman1952ahorseman1952a Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2014
    Maybe my English is failing me now, but aren't reviews opinions?
    Thank you for your thoughtful question. I went to an online dictionary and found out that my statement that reviews and opinions are two separate things is not an accurate statement. One definition of review from Merriam-Webster Online is: a critical evaluation (this is what I was thinking of). Another definition from the same site is: a report that gives someone's opinion about the quality of a book, performance, product, etc. Your question has made me think that I never should have posted my original text. What I was trying to say is that from a technical, programming viewpoint TS4 is a solid if not ground breaking or innovative piece of programming. Opinions of its value as a game may vary. B)
    Maxis/EA, get a clue. A large number of people like family play not swinging singles stuff.
    Update: I finally fixed all of my frustrations with TS4...I uninstalled it! :#
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

You completely misinterpret what I am saying. And 3 did not live up to the gameplay of 2.

And this still boils down to whether you like 3 more than 2 it seems. It's really not an issue for me because I play each game the way the devs took it. For me, I found 3 lacking in terms of the sims themselves. That's it, that's all.

So yeah, it's the gamer's fault. If you want your own game and have a vision for it, go make it. Otherwise, try to see where the devs are taking it. Just be open. That's all I'm saying.

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. People who don't like the Sims 4 are not disliking it because they're being close-minded. *They're disliking it because it doesn't suit their playstyle*.

I've never expressed an opinion that I like one game more than another. The Sims 3, for all your dislike of the way the Sims were like in it, was not a bad game. The Sims 2 wasn't a bad game. I abandoned the Sims 2 for the Sims 3, but I haven't abandoned the Sims 3 for The Sims 4. The only reason I'm not playing either TS2 or TS3 is because my current computer doesn't like either one. It *does* however, seem to like The Sims 4, so I play it from time to time (until I get bored and go do something else).

I don't see that we have to accept the "developer's vision" as gospel truth. In fact, I strongly believe that *if* the devs had been allowed the time they needed to fully develop The Sims 4 in the way that *they* wanted to, we would have seen a *much* better form of gameplay. Unfortunately, EA Corporate HQ had other idea$ and so, the game was ru$hed out in order to be marketable for E3 and Gamescon. And actually, it seems to me, at any rate that what you're *really* saying is "Don't knock the game", but that's like saying "If you can't say anything nice about The Sims 4, then don't say anything at all."

And that smacks of censorship to me.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member

You misogynist jerk! Fangirls do nothing, they're always the victim! All the fanboys are at fault!!!

I'm sorry mistress, I'll go clean the kitchen now and make you that sammich!
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    Sadly, a lot of the amazon reviews, are by completely new accounts. In fact, I'm suspecting a couple haters maybe made a number of dummy accounts for the sole purpose of giving the game a 0. Not like it effects me. I still love the game. And it certainly wont effect EA, especially if Amazon took a peak at all the IP addresses of the negative reviews and started axing some of them, then the numbers might drop to about the same levels as the other star categories.

Fact is, there's people who do have it out for EA for whatever reason. And even if Sims 4 didn't cut anything out, they would still do their best to hate the game and make sure it got bad ratings on customer review websites like amazon. So I say let them people continue in their obsession with hating EA and their games. People like myself see them for what they really are, and will pay them no mind what so ever.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • psychotrip1psychotrip1 Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2014
    It doesn't matter to me what anyone else says. Im playing it, and I'm loving it. I, for one, hope the devs don't cave to the site bombarders that are trying to make this in to TS3 all over again.

TS3 was the anomaly in to what the sims are about....and that's the sims themselves. TS3 let that go for the "open world". And that didn't work. that's my opinion. I prefer to have my sims back.

Exactly. I don't care what anyone says. I am heavily dissatisfied with the game. Personally, the stuff that was removed was more important to me than the stuff they added, and I hope the developers take the next game in a different direction.

I also think it's important to understand that not everyone who dislikes the game and reviews it poorly is a "hater" or a "troll". Just like those who love it aren't necessarily "fanboys".

Maybe it's getting bad reviews because a lot of people don't like it? Is that at all possible? Of course SOME people are just trolling or jumping on the bandwagon, but a bandwagon has to come from somewhere doesn't it?

Regardless, just because a lot of people don't like the game, doesn't mean it's objectively "bad" or that you're wrong for liking it. We all like our own thing.

We can both have different opinions without fighting over whose "right".
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12696591/#Comment_12696591
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.

It doesn't matter to me what anyone else says. Im playing it, and I'm loving it. I, for one, hope the devs don't cave to the site bombarders that are trying to make this in to TS3 all over again.

TS3 was the anomaly in to what the sims are about....and that's the sims themselves. TS3 let that go for the "open world". And that didn't work. that's my opinion. I prefer to have my sims back.

Exactly. I don't care what anyone says. I am heavily dissatisfied with the game. Personally, the stuff that was removed was more important to me than the stuff they added, and I hope the developers take the next game in a different direction.

I also think it's important to understand that not everyone who dislikes the game and reviews it poorly is a "hater" or a "troll". Just like those who love it aren't necessarily "fanboys".

Because clearly I cannot sleep well at night unless like Conan, I have driven all "haters" before me, crushed them and heard their lamentations!

Duh?
    y9UdOhq.png
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I'm so sick of reading "They are trolls since they haven't given a positive review of the game." People are missing the point. Yes, I will agree, there are a small bunch who actually may be trolls. But the lager body who have been giving negative reviews aren't from people who are trolls, or throwing and tantrum, no, it's from fans of the Sims series since day one. They are not happy with the road that EA has taken with the Sims. And are they not allowed to express how they feel? their frustration? Those who are in love with Sims 4, are they the only one entitled to share their feelings about the game? I've played it now. Have I returned it? No, do I like it? Eh, I'm still on the fence. For me is Sims 4 a Sims game deserving the title "The Sims"? No.

For me it resembled the Sims but it's not the Sims. They wanted to return to the core, to the beginning, the meat and bones of the Sims, well I feel. Again, Me, no one else, I feel they missed the mark. It no longer feels like the sandbox game I have come to love. Yes, Sims 3 had it drawn back. When it was first released I played that game for a month straight, then shelved it until WA came out. But it at least felt more like the Sims than this game does. Am I frustrated? Yes. I want to love this game. I want to spend hours playing it. Have I given up on the game? No, hopefully with some EPs and possibly free EA content, this game will be fun.

But like those who love and enjoy this game, I want my voice to be heard. We all paid for the game, and we all have the right to let EA know how we feel about it, without being labeled a troll, or a hater, or any other name others want to give.

We need to quiet with the hurt feelings and feeling like we are being personally attacked. We should be able to discuss a game, both the pros and the cons like civilized people, and not name calling and mud slinging. And most of all we should be respecting each other, even if we have different views on a subject.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Exactly. If they feel pressured to make this 3 again then I have no need to buy EPs, right?

I try to steer away from the hater/troll threads.
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    IcySlash wrote: »
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    IcySlash wrote: »

Gotta laugh at those people calling even reviewers ''trolls'' and ''haters''.

It is easier to dehumanize and dismiss others who may not agree with you. Otherwise you may have to concede they might have a point.
    The only thing we should all agree it's that it doesn't deserve a 10, but even then, it's matter of opinion so i'll give you that. It's only that people namecalling others for disliking the game and/or posting honest reviews IS childish at the same degree as the ones that bash those who like it.

Nothing deserves a 10. If it did, we wouldn't constantly strive for perfection.

Nothing is perfect, yes, but there are games out there that really deserves a 9 to 10 rate, so much that they even get high reviews by almost every only gaming media and users, but if you're a person that mostly doesn't trust reviews, then... TS4 deserves a 6 at max and i'm being generous. It's far, far from what other companies made of better in the past 2 years. Def not a masterpiece.

Agreed. TS3 was indeed an anomaly in the sims series. TS4 gets back to what made the sims series great. It definitely feels like what the sims 3 should of really been. It has the sims 2 feel, and the open neighborhoods are amazing. Every neighborhood has fishing spots, their own park, and 4 already made homes and 1 empty lot each. I'm suspecting come an expansion, the already existing neighborhoods might grow in size like how TS1 base game was a very tiny neighborhood, then when old town got introduced, we had a huge sprawling neighborhood.

And the reason I think the hoods will get expanded, with a season expansion, they might add in a festival grounds for the seasonal events. For a pets expansion, a community lot to buy pets and maybe even a pet park like TS2. I definitely think they will expand the existing neighborhoods eventually. But for a base game, this one is great.
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

Because clearly I cannot sleep well at night unless like Conan, I have driven all "haters" before me, crushed them and heard their lamentations!

Duh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdzBaPDmJk

as you requested :)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
    Zolt65 wrote: »

Duh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdzBaPDmJk

as you requested :)

It's like I'm the screen door. And you're the hurricane fanning it wildly on it's hinges.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • SlyBootsSlyBoots Posts: 559 Member
    Everybody will have their own opinion and not everyone will enjoy it unfortunately. IMO though, far too many people are comparing it to the previous series taking into account all of the EPs and SPs and store content, so those people will always be disappointed! I was really disheartened to hear about all the cutbacks at first, but I took the game for what it is (a new base game) and so far I'm loving it. I couldn't compare it to TS3 because it's a fresh start :smile:
    nilanius wrote: »

Agreed. TS3 was indeed an anomaly in the sims series. TS4 gets back to what made the sims series great. It definitely feels like what the sims 3 should of really been. It has the sims 2 feel, and the open neighborhoods are amazing. Every neighborhood has fishing spots, their own park, and 4 already made homes and 1 empty lot each. I'm suspecting come an expansion, the already existing neighborhoods might grow in size like how TS1 base game was a very tiny neighborhood, then when old town got introduced, we had a huge sprawling neighborhood.

And the reason I think the hoods will get expanded, with a season expansion, they might add in a festival grounds for the seasonal events. For a pets expansion, a community lot to buy pets and maybe even a pet park like TS2. I definitely think they will expand the existing neighborhoods eventually. But for a base game, this one is great.

Thank You!

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2014
    @astridentanja

My post went all weird. So, I had to edit it. I like that they have the draft feature, but there should really be a way to delete them when you change your mind and want to say something to someone else intead.

Anyway, what I was trying to say:

The divide between the players. I know a lot of players like the realism. I understand how the open world appeals to that, as well as toddlers. I also find the terrain and the look of the world in TS3 a little more realistic than TS4. To those people, I can see TS4 as pointless and not having much to offer. There's another side to that coin. Other's like to get away from the realism and have more of a stylistic/cartoon/anime style. They just like to have fun. Not having toddlers and such doesn't bother them because it wasn't realism they were looking for. To them, it's pointless to have those things to begin with.

Of course, I'm only talking about gameplay. The builders are a different story. They would most definitely have been spoiled by the colour/style options and terrain tools in TS3. Building was one of my favourite things in TS2. I do find limitations in this one without floorElevation, moveObjects, and terrain tools. I can't see a real divide amongst those players. TS4 doesn't offer much in that area, and I hope that will change.

As for story tellers, I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing of that style of play. I'm not that creative. So, I can't even begin to guess if there's a divide among them with this one.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member

Sadly, a lot of the amazon reviews, are by completely new accounts. In fact, I'm suspecting a couple haters maybe made a number of dummy accounts for the sole purpose of giving the game a 0. Not like it effects me. I still love the game. And it certainly wont effect EA, especially if Amazon took a peak at all the IP addresses of the negative reviews and started axing some of them, then the numbers might drop to about the same levels as the other star categories.

Fact is, there's people who do have it out for EA for whatever reason. And even if Sims 4 didn't cut anything out, they would still do their best to hate the game and make sure it got bad ratings on customer review websites like amazon. So I say let them people continue in their obsession with hating EA and their games. People like myself see them for what they really are, and will pay them no mind what so ever.

I'll bet they're posting from a grassy knoll!

wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg

Exactly. If they feel pressured to make this 3 again then I have no need to buy EPs, right?

Who said anything about hater or troll threads? If someone doesn't like the game, it doesn't make them a hater or a troll necessarily just like liking the game doesn't make you a "fanboy".

I feel like you missed the entire point of my post...
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2014

Hate is passion. Passion is emotion. Emotion isn't logical. There are plenty of people out there who dislike the game, but they're being logical about it. There are others, and I'd have to say they are a small number at best, who can't handle not being heard. They are letting their passion get the best of them and need to rally others who feel the same. These people will always make themselves bigger and will always multiply themselves in any way they can.

So, yeah. It's hard to say how much of it is for real, and how much of it is just a handful of passionate people.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Who said anything about hater or troll threads? If someone doesn't like the game, it doesn't make them a hater or a troll necessarily just like liking the game doesn't make you a "fanboy".

I got your point. You miss the stuff that was removed. And you can't wait to see how it all plays out. So you "quit".

and you actually confirm my point. You want to wait to see if they go in your direction the next time. While I am seeing if they go in mine this time.
    edited September 2014

I got your point. You miss the stuff that was removed. And you can't wait to see how it all plays out. So you "quit".

and you actually confirm my point. You want to wait to see if they go in your direction the next time. While I am seeing if they go in mine this time.
    Yes, I agree with you.

That's the whole point of the post.

I wasn't trying to argue.

I was trying to demonstrate how we can have two different opinions without one of us being "wrong".

That's a fair point, right?

So here's a question. When do people who are disappointed, become haters and/or trolls? I've seen a number of people on this very forum who go out of their way to attack people who do like the game. Before the features were removed, some individuals when they disagreed with a positive review, hit the flag as abuse button because they think anyone that gives the game a perfect score in a category is a plant by EA. This resulted in the flag, agree and disagree buttons being removed.

And a these same people have been hating on the game even before it launched, constantly posting hate speech about EA, personal attacks on people who like the game. So then where is the line between disappointment, and outright hating and trolling?

Hate is passion. Passion is emotion. Emotion isn't logical. There are plenty of people out there who dislike the game, but they're being logical about it. There are others, and I'd have to say they are a small number at best, who can't handle not being heard. They are letting their passion get the best of them and need to rally others who feel the same. These people will always make themselves bigger and will always multiply themselves in any way they can.

So, yeah. It's hard to say how much of it is for real, and how much of it is just a handful of passionate people.

I just figured out who you will be for me on these forums.

You're like my own personal Yoda now.

"Hate leads to suffering! Suffering leads to you buying that tub of hagen daaz to drown your sorrows that TS4 was such a horrible letdown!"
    y9UdOhq.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top