Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should have known better...

Comments

• Options
    RuinusRuinus Posts: 4 New Member
    So I've been playing for about 13 to 14 hours now and I quite like the game. I don't mind any of the changes, since to me I don't consider them to be missing "features" to include things like no phones, no toddlers, no pools, no trash-compactors or dish-washers or whatever. The only features that are missing are the create a style thing and the open world, and even the open-world isn't so bad for me because I quite enjoy the lot system since it means lots of sims walk around the streets, hang out in the little park and garden areas and generally make the world actually look alive instead of the feeling I got from Sims 3 where I lived in a ghost town except for the town center. Frankly, from the forums before the release I was expecting a buggy piece of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that I would regret spending my money on, but that's not what I go.
  • Options
    msarbezmsarbez Posts: 80 Member
    Reading this thread did a couple of things for me. My notes:

1) It certainly cemented my hesitation in purchasing the game any time soon. The whole SimCity debacle was definitely my first code-red experience, and the additional warning was the pre-order for Sims 4 before we even had a clue what the game would entail. But this is certainly a solid review for what I was expecting in the game, and what I would find it to be lacking for my kind of gameplay. And it's lacking a lot without even considering shelling out the funds.

2) We all obviously play the game differently, obviously. So what others find to be missing, others don't. Which is fine. I do question why so many don't care about the missing pieces, but to each his or her own.

I'm somewhat saddened and a good bit disappointed that this franchise has come to this. I do get the idea of sacrificing things for the game to make some aspects better, but it does seem like EA is taking the road of making what could be a fantastic game series and turning it into a cheap, after-market product. And for the most part, they can because people will still buy it. But I will be holding on to my money for the moment.
  • Options
    rainbowdementiarainbowdementia Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Bain said:
    > I just submitted for a refund from Origin, since they have that great game guarantee. To say that I am disappointed in this game is an understatement. What was finally the last straw on a whole list of missing features? No phones you can place in your house. Really? I know everyone nowadays has a cell phone, but you cannot buy a phone to put in the house? Add to that, the single tile doors all are one color, with no variations, no burglar alarm, no burglars, no cars, no garages, lack of careers, load screens, and a whole slew of other deficiencies made me not want to be a part of this game. They spent time to program angry poop instead of putting the ability to go swimming. That was a great design choice!

Angry poop???
  • Options
    weebl_101weebl_101 Posts: 101 Member
    cujojax wrote: »
    @ DeerLord, thanks I believe I mentioned that.. However reading notes is one thing, to have actual reviewers get their hands on it and tell you how it plays is another. Can you give me one good reason why a company would choose not to do this if other then they were aware it would get negative feedback? I<br />
    @haburbian the problem is the only chance I can give them is 24 hours in the return window, so while I have always loved the Sims franchise and want it to succeed (the reasoning of my OP) if I DO NOT return it, Im basically stating that Im ok with the state of the game. <br />
    @Jadedsins <br />
    1) I think thats part of the issue, you would expect a new entry to the franchise to build on what they had, so keep what was good and add things like the new emotions<br />
    2) If the sims are not going to an actual place of work in this game, would it have been too much to ask they keep the original jobs as well? <br />
    3) fair enough<br />
    4) The core of the game is fun thats what we all love, some of the expansions I do believe are worth the money, but there are always just so many and with a hefty tag I dont see how anyone can justify having to pay for them all. Maybe add a seasons pass out of the gate that includes them<br />
    I am hoping with feedback things will improve but at this point I feel like it is better to wait it out and see how it shakes out.

One good reason would be, you don't want a game you put so much time an effort into leaked before it's released.
  • Options
    weebl_101weebl_101 Posts: 101 Member
    JohnBlack wrote: »
    They couldn't even manage to put in carpool and school buses in the game??

I agree on the simplistic things. Why? Not because of gurus I don't blame them I blame only the money hungry corporation that is EA. Whoever is the head president over there needs to be fired and replaced. He or she should have given the developers, programmers, etc. more time even if it meant delaying it until 2015 to make it as perfect as they could if they are trying to keep the core gamers for this franchise to continue paying hard earned money from their pockets.

How do we know it was a matter of time and not a matter of money.. Games are put on a budget like anything else, and some companies don't like to budge.. This is a big reason why features get cut.. We also do now know how long they have been working on the game, so time restraints are put on there as well.. You can't have a game put back so many times just because players want specific features in the game, otherwise there would be a even higher price tag, for all the extra man hours they logged completing those parts that players want.

People have to realize, that a game is there to make money as well as make players happy, if they were to put all the features players wanted to see in the game, they would simply not make there money back, therefore not going on with the franchise.
  • Options
    MsHoneyluv21MsHoneyluv21 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm also highly disappointed and agree with everything you said. THIS GAME IS EMPTY. It took two steps forward as far as the sims and their emotions but 4 or 5 steps back with everything else. I cant point out many good things about this game without there being a TON of bad. The bad outweighs the good and I too will be getting my money back and going back to TS3. After I see what patches and EPS they come out with maybe I will buy it next year. If im not satsfied with what they come out with by then or see how the community reacts to it I wont be buying it at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    > @msarbez said:
    > 2) We all obviously play the game differently, obviously. So what others find to be missing, others don't. Which is fine. I do question why so many don't care about the missing pieces, but to each his or her own.

Well, to me, I don't care about any of the missing parts. I never played from a child to adult in the game except for 1 very specific save I had in The Sims 3, so I frankly don't care if the toddlers are missing. Similarly, I don't care if pools are missing because I never used them anyway except for decoration. With the exception of the Create-A-Style tool, none of the missing things are things I consider important, or even needed for the game to be fun.

I guess the way I see it is that what some people consider to be missing gameplay features I only consider to be missing gameplay options. Toddlers, pools, no hair-animations, lack of trash compactors or dish-washers, 3 floors instead of 5, no basements. Those, in my opinion, are optional pieces that aren't necessary for the game to function or be fun. And they are all optional pieces that I never cared about anyway.

Now, I suppose I should be upset that features from the previous game are missing, and argue that it's an incomplete game rushed out without all the features it should have, but eh. That'd require alot of speculation on my part to convince myself to hate something I'm enjoying.
  • Options
    valairia1valairia1 Posts: 100 Member
    IDK but I hated the open game world in TS3. I spent more time playing TS2 even after. The load screen for this world are a plus for me. I am of the opinion that people need to get used to the game and give it time. Asking for everything that TS3 had in all their expansions in a base game is madness. I like this game. It feels like a more classic sim. The lack of toddlers, that is up in the air for me. I am glad I bought it and I am anxious to see where it goes from here.
    The author of The Student Librarian for sale at Amazon. Keep watching for more up coming novels.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited September 2014
    To the people who haven't played the game and are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about it:

Why not play the game for yourself before whining?

I am not going to pay £40 for a rushed game. I have done my homework and I, like many others have decided that we do not want to buy the game at its current stage.

And that's fine, what I don't like is people who haven't actually played the game insulting another person because they enjoy the game.

9/10 times that insult you're talking about comes in the form of a response to someone being passive aggressive over non personal criticism.

• Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    valairia1 wrote: »
    IDK but I hated the open game world in TS3. I spent more time playing TS2 even after. The load screen for this world are a plus for me. I am of the opinion that people need to get used to the game and give it time. Asking for everything that TS3 had in all their expansions in a base game is madness. I like this game. It feels like a more classic sim. The lack of toddlers, that is up in the air for me. I am glad I bought it and I am anxious to see where it goes from here.
    People are not asking for everything that Sims 3 had with all it's EPs. People are asking for a base game that has all the basic stuff the previous base games had and improving on them and adding to them, not take away stuff that is crucial to how some people play, like toddlers.

I have said this, I don't mind that Sims 4 is not open world, however EA did it in a very weird way. They should have had the 5 districts in each world and each district should have been seamless and open and the only time we get a loading screen is when we change districts. That is a far compromise between Sims 2 and 3 it is right in the middle, the way Sims 4 is now is barely any better than Sims 2's closed world. Don't get me wrong I love Sims 2 and don't mind it being a closed world, but Sims 4 is a 2014 game, not a 2004 game.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    @Ruinus: The Sims is called "Life simulation" for a reason but this attribute don't fit neither on Sims4 nor on your play style.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    valairia1 wrote: »
    people need to get used to the game.
    Seriously? You want that we just give in to the crap? I'm no string puppet you know.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    NotamainerNotamainer Posts: 32 Member
    Bought the game for my wife for her birthday - we've both had every incarnation of the game from Sims 1 on. I have to say, I kind of like it. The interface is weird as hell (I hope I can get used to it), but it loads quickly, and most importantly, it loads on my wife's minimal-specced computer.

Yes, its 'stripped down', but so was Sims 2, and so was Sims 3 compared to the expansion-packed versions that came before them.

I keep getting surprised by the little things that keep sneaking in (now traits from how you play, etc).

The tiny neighborhoods will take some getting used to, but if the choice is "5 houses, no lag" and "50 houses, lets go watch half an episode of Doctor Who while the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game loads", I'll take the first option, thank you.

The game is different - perhaps more different than any reincarnation of the Sims that's come before, and this is a good thing.

If it truly distresses you, go back and play your "We patched this thing HOW many times to smooth stuff out?" copy of the Sims 3. Its not like installing Sims 4 deleted all your Sims 3 content.
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I disagree about someone playing a new game can't make their decision within a few hours. That's bull. Yes, they can. When I buy a new game, I know within the first thirty minutes if I want to continue with it (AS IS) or dump it. A game should knock your socks off within the first hour. That's the rule of thumb. If it doesn't then it's more tedious and boring than you first believed after watching trailers, and or let's play or whatever. A game needs to hook the player, and if they player is looking around thinking, nah, this isn't all that great no matter the reason the game has failed to impress. That's why a lot of games only give the player a one hour trial, it better hook them during that trial or they aren't buying. EA gave players a 24 hours trail period, and it's fair to say if they aren't hooked within the first hour or so, then no it will never be as great as EA claimed. You have to close the deal while the deal is hot, and a lot of players are not seeing what is so amazing, and unfortunately we tried to tell people this isn't a game originally for PC but a hybrid of some sort, but alas, they had to find out the hard way.

I'm not sure I can agree, I played the Sims 2 UC and was pretty bored and I have heard nothing but praises for the game, almost everyone loves the Sims 2. Just because I didn't get a good feel for it right away doesn't mean I'm going to decide it's not the game for me and never play it again. I think if you try a different way of playing a certain game you can get more into it I know that's what I'm going to do as simself play isn't really for me. While I don't have the sims 4 since it's too expensive for me right now I probably will get it on sale, I wouldn't quit for good after being bored for a few hours I think it's best to try new ideas and mix things up in your game, try a different way of playing. Of course this is my opinion feel free to disagree I'm not looking for any arguments.
  • Options
    Cendres13Cendres13 Posts: 258 Member
    > @halimali1980 said:
    > I think you are disappointed because you have blindly bought the game or else you would have known about the traits, the jobs or CASt. That makes your first impression not accurate. Its al right to say the game feels empty because of lack of these things but you need to give us your impression on what the game has to offer. It offers nothing? Can't be, there must be few small things you can share, be it positive or negative.

Blindly bought the game? Not everyone that buys video games are hardcore enough to read up on everything. Whether that's due to being busy or choice it should not disqualify their first impression. IN FACT if anything, someone who plays it cold turkey is probably more accurate then those of us who have been influenced by everyone and their dog's opinion about it.
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Notamainer wrote: »
    Bought the game for my wife for her birthday - we've both had every incarnation of the game from Sims 1 on. I have to say, I kind of like it. The interface is weird as hell (I hope I can get used to it), but it loads quickly, and most importantly, it loads on my wife's minimal-specced computer.<br />
    <br />
    Yes, its 'stripped down', but so was Sims 2, and so was Sims 3 compared to the expansion-packed versions that came before them.<br />
    <br />
    I keep getting surprised by the little things that keep sneaking in (now traits from how you play, etc).<br />
    <br />
    The tiny neighborhoods will take some getting used to, but if the choice is "5 houses, no lag" and "50 houses, lets go watch half an episode of Doctor Who while the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game loads", I'll take the first option, thank you.<br />
    <br />
    The game is different - perhaps more different than any reincarnation of the Sims that's come before, and this is a good thing.<br />
    <br />
    If it truly distresses you, go back and play your "We patched this thing HOW many times to smooth stuff out?" copy of the Sims 3. Its not like installing Sims 4 deleted all your Sims 3 content.
    Yes the base games are stripped down because they do not have all the content that EPs added. But the base game for Sims 2 added a lot of new stuff to the game that Sims 1 didn't have in the base game. Sims 3 took out some stuff that Sims 2 had in it's base game, but it actually made up for it because it had new features that were pretty cool to make up for it, and it did improve on some aspects of Sims 2. Sims 4 does none of that, I mean in some areas Sims 4 is really good, but for a base game it failed. It did not add anything that is new a lot of the stuff is things we have had already and they have rehashed it and say it is "new", and they took out a lot of stuff that the previous base games did have, one important one being toddlers which affects a lot of people who play families.

I am not saying Sims 4 doesn't have cool stuff for people to discover, I bet it does, what I am saying is Sims 4 did not deliver on the basics that we pretty much expect in a Sims game and it is not worth the current price it being sold for.
  • Options
    msarbezmsarbez Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2014
    > @weebl_101 said:

> People have to realize, that a game is there to make money as well as make players happy, if they were to put all the features players wanted to see in the game, they would simply not make there money back, therefore not going on with the franchise.

I think that for the most part, we all understand that the object of a company in creating a game is to make money. And I think it would be fair to say that switching to a different game engine to accommodate those with inferior machines was a good idea, for both gamers and their (EA's) pockets.

However, just about each time EA comes out with a new game, they become more transparent on the fact that their greed supersedes by a wide margin, their striving to make their gamers happy. SimCity is a prime example. Even this game and others this past year: Pre-orders close to a year before the game comes out? The (in my opinion) ridiculous prices on "premium content"? And from the looks of it, far less capability in this new game? It just seems to me like they're creating Wal-Mart-type quality and trying to sell it at Nordstrom prices. Even in the basic of economics, it's ideal to meet somewhere in the middle between your business and your customers, otherwise you're creating a surplus for the money-hungry.
  • Options
    CharmingBirchCharmingBirch Posts: 2 New Member
    I think the folks who have been supporters of this franchise from the beginning all feel slighted. I bought my first copy of "The Sims" when I was 9 years old. I'm 24 and about to get married next month. The Sims 4 feels like a glorified version of "The Sims 2" to me, period.

So far, the only interesting features that I consider upgrades to the series are realistic career wages and cost of living items (instead of a smoke detector costing $250, it now costs $25). Other than that, everything else has frustrated me.

I definitely feel your pain. I love this franchise and always will, but because I've been a fan for so long, I expect progression and to be absolutely WOWED. I was wowed with The Sims 3, in all its buggy glory. Anyone remembered release day for the base game and the time elapse fiasco?

I have never considered wanting a refund for a game, but I guess there's a first time for everything.
  • Options
    VonSimsVonSims Posts: 186 Member
    How could you have been fooled if the information was already out there before the game was released? Everything you mentioned has been talked about and complained about 100x's already. Did you think those features would magically appear once you installed the game?
  • Options
    jesse40jesse40 Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2014
    cujojax wrote: »
    Its my own fault, I have been fooled by EA before.<br />
    The original Sims was basically my intro to getting into computer games, I loved it. <br />
    Played all 3 extensively, didn't bat and eye when it came to pre ordering the collectors edition for TS4, but the writing was on the wall when they chose not to hand out many copies for media to review. Had I read but one honest review of this before hand I would have spoken with CLOSING my wallet. <br />
    <br />
    There is just so much missing from the game I am actually confused why they released it. You would think after SimCity (which got me too) the Mass Effect ending fiasco, getting voted worst company two years in a row, they would have done more for their loyal fans. <br />
    I understand there will be paid DLC, like a whole lot of it, but come on, there are some very basic things that are not included in a base game for 70 bucks? You cant gloss over the fact that because Sims now have emotions that we can overlook everything that came before. Its 2014, TS4 should be a massive step forward, but this feels like a huge step back. <br />
    <br />
    First thing I notice is there is no pitch control which drives me nuts! You have to zoom all the way in, the controls feel very awkward. <br />
    EDIT: You are able to revert to the TS3 default camera, middle mouse pitch button in game options<br />
    <br />
    You actually give your sims less traits in creator? <br />
    Losing story progression, small-heavy loading screen towns? No control over jobs? Lack of jobs in the first place; where are the classics, athlete, law, army? Picking from a handful of preset colors and patterns. Things like simple appliances missing. <br />
    <br />
    I wont beat a dead horse about pools and toddlers missing but those hurt. (Some people say they chose to skip that part, which is fine since you could scale how many days one stayed at the age bracket in TS3, thus almost skipping it if you wanted anyways) <br />
    Things like seasons and pets should be standard now, a 70 buck game and Ill have to pay 30 to add those things I really was hoping was a thing of the past.<br />
    I get if you want to add new items, clothing, but a basic lack of features is a killer. <br />
    <br />
    I dont know, I could play all night before and only realize I had because the sun was coming up, but a few hours in, I'm here on the forums, bored already. <br />
    EA this is simply unacceptable at this point. I will be returning this game until you admit its not finished or plan to have content added that wont nickle and dime me to death. Stop being so stubborn all the time. <br />
    As a review, graphics are great, I always enjoyed them though, house building is a big step forward, but in all honesty you better off continuning to play TS2 or TS3 with all your expansions until they annonce 5 and you can buy the entire Ts4 bundle and all its updates. <br />
    <br />
    TL;DR save your money for now, OP never learned his lesson that anything with EA on it is nothing but a headache.

at the moment i really just want to play to see what happens to me and my bf ingame,
    and start creating houses

thats really it for me
    after i got bored with sims3..thats all there ever was
    sighs
    and tbh from what iv seen
    im not even..just. sighs
    i like what i see
    but i can tell im going to bored very easily
    but thats how it is with every game EA makes..xD so not surprised
  • Options
    jesse40jesse40 Posts: 381 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    In all honesty, I have been waiting for this moment to say: I TOLD YOU BEFORE! >:)

for the first time i agree with you
  • Options
    JadedsinsJadedsins Posts: 233 Member
    I think the folks who have been supporters of this franchise from the beginning all feel slighted. I bought my first copy of "The Sims" when I was 9 years old. I'm 24 and about to get married next month. The Sims 4 feels like a glorified version of "The Sims 2" to me, period. <br />
    <br />
    So far, the only interesting features that I consider upgrades to the series are realistic career wages and cost of living items (instead of a smoke detector costing $250, it now costs $25). Other than that, everything else has frustrated me. <br />
    <br />
    I definitely feel your pain. I love this franchise and always will, but because I've been a fan for so long, I expect progression and to be absolutely WOWED. I was wowed with The Sims 3, in all its buggy glory. Anyone remembered release day for the base game and the time elapse fiasco? <br />
    <br />
    I have never considered wanting a refund for a game, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Sims 3 was a buggy mess and a huge set back just for that fact alone. Sims 2 is what made the sims really shine for many of us. So them going back to the sim 2 roots is the best thing they could do to the sims.
  • Options
    > @Cyron43 said:
    > Ruinus: The Sims is called "Life simulation" for a reason but this attribute don't fit neither on Sims4 nor on your play style.

Sure, but I'm responding to someone else asking how some people don't mind the missing items. I understand how no dish-washers might be a terrible game design choice to some people, but it isn't for me.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Invaderchickycat...the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is/was a free download. You didn't have to pay anything for it. So if you installed it and got bored with it, that's okay, but if someone *pays* $60-70 for a game and gets bored with it right away, that's NOT okay? Sorry, but you lost me there. There's a big difference between getting a free game and getting bored with it and uninstalling it (which I bet you won't) and paying out a LOT of money for a game you had such high hopes for, and then feeling let down and bored after playing with it for quite some time. Plus the fact that a lot of the older Sims players are used to a fairly detailed type of gameplay; even during the first Sims 3 launch, players were already creating stories showcasing their new characters.

Now, you're telling them that they should be happy that they spent all that money on a game that, as it turns out, didn't live up to their expectations? Bear in mind, some of these people were the most ardent supporters of the game on the old TS3 forums and then here, before the game was launched. It's no wonder that they're upset when the the game didn't live up to its hype as it was advertised.

I have to shake my head at you people who are just crazy-wild about TS4, so crazy, that you take every announcement that someone is getting a refund as a personal rejection and maybe some unspoken criticism for spending that kind of money. How should I say this? If it bothers you so much that someone is demanding a refund, then all I can say is: "Get over it. Suck it up. It's not the end of the world."

Seriously...it's *their* money; what business is it of yours if they make a decision to return a game they dislike?
    You like the game? Fine, you enjoy the game. They don't like the game and want their money back? Also fine...they're just doing what others have been demanding that they do all along..."Since you hate the game so much, you might as well get your money back".

Yeah. That's exactly what they're doing.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    I tested around in the sims 4 for a bit, and so far the game seems pretty fun for me (however that could be subject to change).
    Here a few positive and negative things I noticed while fooling around.

Positive:
    - The interactions are much better than the sims 3. More fluid, more variety, don't need to repeat low level interactions multiple times to perform high level interactions.

- From what I saw, there seems to be more familial interaction. (Ex. parents can cuddle with kids or kiss kids cheeck, etc)

- Kids can play piano and violin

- Facial animations look much better. You can see what emotion your sim is in without the game needing to tell you through a moodlet

-There is no lag as of yet

- sims can have family dinners again (no longer wolf down food),

- Multitasking is fun and adds variety to certain tasks.

_ Traits trigger emotions make them somewhat more interesting.

Negative:
    - While kids can play piano and violin, the kids improve a generic creativity skill and therefore never sound better :(

_ They have a geek trait, and more video games, but so far there is no way to play video games together with another sim.

- Toddlers and pools (of course I had to mention that)

_ The game seems striped after playing sims2/3 with all expansion packs. While there is still a variety of unique interactions sims can perform with each other (probably almost as much as the sims 3 with all expansions), the game feels lacking in the interactive objects; (DJ booth, soccer, pool table etc.)

- There are not a lot of community lots, and after playing sims 2/3 where the community lots are varied and filled with interactive objects from various expansions the community lots seem a little more bare.

Final impressions: Overall, the game feels like the sims 3 did when it first came out; Striped and bare compared to its predecessor. However, unlike the sims 3, the sims 4 feels like it is built on solid ground and will only get better as more expansions come out. The ability to travel between worlds allows our sims to visit a wide arrangement of landscapes (especially when people start creating worlds) each with fun community and residential lots, and the fact that each lot is loaded separately will keep load times low even when the neighborhood is populated with lots of sims. Furthermore, with the loss of rabbit holes we can see the return of certain features like open restaurants

Stay strong, things will hopefully get better
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever