Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Customizable Pronouns First Look

Comments

• Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited January 2022
    1. I love the idea of being able to set pronouns.

2. Somebody please explain those pronouns being "next to their name," as I no longer have time to watch livestreams. I'd like to see the he/her/they in Notifications, but not next to every appearance of a Sim's name in the game.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Well, the biggest Gaming Convention in the US just added pronouns to their badges, so it's not unheard of in Real Life Meatspace...

But I'm out of this thread. Have fun arguing about something that likely won't see the light of day for several months.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,877 Member
    1. I love the idea of being able to set pronouns.

2. Somebody please explain those pronouns being "next to their name," as I no longer have time to watch livestreams. I'd like to see the he/her/they in Notifications, but not next to every appearance of a Sim's name in the game.

@phantasmkiss
    An earlier comment from EA,_Cade in response to this question.

That is a great question, at this exact moment that hasn't been finalized. I've passed along the feedback I've seen here in regards to not wanting this information displayed in that manner and I would keep an eye out for more information closer to the release of this feature via upcoming livestreams when this isn't still in the design phase any longer.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited January 2022
    We've seen the CAS idea but then I wonder how this will be implemented through gameplay. I would assume Sims would just know what pronouns to use with certain Sims. Just like Sims relative's automatically know about new babies. Then there's the question at what lifestage do we get to pick the pronouns. I guess the baskinet could have pronoun options on it. We/Sims could maybe have friendly interaction to ask or tell with a boost to the relationship bar.

I certainly feel in CAS there should be a place to select your gender attraction, pronouns, currently live and hometown which isn't necessarily where a sim lives but gives them a background story and I know someone mentioned they would like it to control walkbys to. Currently live is where you'd actually place them in game, shouldn't show up until the family is in a house but maybe Sims could ask where they live and where they are from in gameplay.
    Post edited by SnaveXs on
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    edited January 2022
    caliposs wrote: »
    Peppers wrote: »
    caliposs wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Well, we are not amused by them. We love to be able to call our Woman sim Female & our Man sim Male. ;)

But you can! She/Her and He/Him are also available. :smile:

But not everyone feels the need to use pronouns.

Everyone has pronouns though.

Not me, my nouns are still amateurs.

Jokes aside, as long as they keep this safely out of the way so my simworld can have the two genders it's always had, the rest of y'all can go nuts.

(and for those wondering, I put my pronouns in my signature on the forum because it's otherwise impossible to tell at a quick glance that yes, I'm a dude posting this stuff. That's one place where pronoun identification has value even for the most hardened traditionalist.)
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I don't play this game anymore. A long time ago I discovered I was no longer the targeted audience for this game and that it was going to continue to go in its own direction thus I decided to just let it go and play the sims games that were made for those who play the sims like me. That being said, congratulations to those who've been asking for this that have been always wanting it. Cheers!

*Sneaks back out and fades away once more*

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I don't play this game anymore. A long time ago I discovered I was no longer the targeted audience for this game and that it was going to continue to go in its own direction thus I decided to just let it go and play the sims games that were made for those who play the sims like me. That being said, congratulations to those who've been asking for this that have been always wanting it. Cheers!

*Sneaks back out and fades away once more*

Not to bust your bubble, but you can wrangle a simworld back to "those who play the sims like me", you just have to be willing to wholesale edit a lot of NPCs in CAS. (one look at any crowd scene in my screenshots in various threads can see my simworld's naturally "old-school" look and feel, indirectly modeled as it is on my 1980s affluent-suburban childhood hometown in a lot of ways.) At no point has any of EA's "inclusiveness" affected my simworld in any way—other than having to edit (or stuff my graveyard with, if it comes to that) a new batch of premades to fit my world every time I buy a pack.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited January 2022
    @EA_Cade how will gender neutral pronouns work with police career? Oftentimes gender is one of the clues about crime suspects. Will suspects with pronouns different from he/she be automatically regarded as man/woman depending on their frame or will the clue state the suspect is non binary?
    Happy simming!
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Nushka wrote: »
    @EA_Cade how will gender neutral pronouns work with police career? Oftentimes gender is one of the clues about crime suspects.

Forwarded up the chain, I'll let you know if I get more on this but most likely it will be addressed in a Livestream or blog post on The Sims section of EA.com. :)
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2022
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Fair point. That group also has valid concerns, even though the Sims team should be large enough to multi-task new gameplay, fixing existing gameplay, and working on this. I know it doesn't always feel like it, though.

If you look around the forums, you'll see a lot of people also upset by all the [mostly just CAS] Kits we've seen recently. CAS Kits + Pronouns =/= gameplay. So for that group it most certainly does appear like the team is not large enough nor good enough at multi-tasking.

I'm sorta in that group, I'm just not convinced CAS Kits + Pronouns really have anything to do with the recent lack of actual gameplay additions/fixes. Appearances can be deceiving so I don't draw conclusions based on my view from the outside.

I think the kits are a symptom of whatever's causing the delay in larger packs, not the cause. I believe all their developers/coders are focused on gameplay/bug fixing (and the bugs are more complicated than people realize) and the artists/asset creators are basically sitting around with nothing to do because they need feedback from the coders, so they have them making CAS kits so they're not sitting around twiddling their thumbs and EA is actually getting some Sims Income.

But that's neither here nor there, especially as my initial comment was about people complaining about the pronouns being displayed in game, not about people who are concerned about pronouns being worked on at all.

We don't actually know that (bolded part). It could be that since Maxis has decided to change the direction of TS4 from a sitcom (Rachel Franklin's idea of what The Sims 4 was at release) to a representation game (avatar game) they may have decided (marketing and the mobile division) kits would be more profitable to them if this is indeed no longer a life simulator (which they have never described TS4 as being one since the day of release) to a safe space, representation game. (Their own words).

It would seem to me kits would be profitable for that sort of game, where as EPs and GPs about simulation and life where life is simulated and mimicked is more in line with a simulation game. Very little simulation is added in the last few years since Maxis did change direction with the simself, avatar representations being more often than any other type of player that don't play simselves. If that is the focus to cater to that one group of players, I do wish they would just say yes, we have changed direction because kits would fit right in with that type of game and seems to worked for that type of gameplay. But we don't know what corporate and or the discussions are or the pressures to market to a niche group of players and or to try to attract more of a niche group of players and or whether to actually influence people (as stated in an interview).

If that is the plan and it seems it is, and their new business model then I can understand why so many people would like to see a big EP or GP that simulates life rather than a pronoun beside their Sim's name (doesn't matter what type of pronoun) because that seems to some of us less about life simulations that we all can relate to in some fashion and less about actual diversity and more about virtue signally in my humble opinion. (Note this is my opinion and how I feel not saying that is what it is).

No doubt there has been a lot of pressure on Maxis when large groups demand change and or get cancelled, and yes they may want to do what they feel is right, but as far a gameplay goes, this does very little for those who loved a life simulator twenty years ago.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Talking about neutral pronouns, do you know than at spanish the game title is "Los Sims" ?
    If we go to neutral pronouns scheme, "Los Sims" mean all sims are male!

Then the title could be changed to "Les Sims"
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Talking about neutral pronouns, do you know than at spanish the game title is "Los Sims" ?
    If we go to neutral pronouns scheme, "Los Sims" mean all sims are male!

Then the title could be changed to "Les Sims"

Yep. This is one of the many, many translation/language barriers we have to cross and a huge reason why this is still in the design and planning phase.

We want to get this absolutely right.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2022
    @EA_Cade how will gender neutral pronouns work with police career? Oftentimes gender is one of the clues about crime suspects. Will suspects with pronouns different from he/she be automatically regarded as man/woman depending on their frame or will the clue state the suspect is non binary?

Also I was wondering about things like family titles too - if a sim has they/them pronouns or custom pronouns will they still be called mother/father/sister/brother or will they be called parent/sibling?
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It actually makes sense to me to display the pronouns next to the name. I've been to plenty of real-life meetings that started by going around the room saying "My name is..." and "My pronouns are...," while never once saying "My race is..." or "My religion is...." So to me this reflects real life.

With that said, I am not super invested in where the pronouns are displayed. I just think the Sims team has made a logical choice.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    Imagine if it randomized pronouns for townies... You would get a sim with the pronouns fdhs/fdgbxh/gcfdbh
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    doggers123 wrote: »
    Imagine if it randomized pronouns for townies... You would get a sim with the pronouns fdhs/fdgbxh/gcfdbh

Oh nooooo! The townies! :D
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Rouensims wrote: »
    It actually makes sense to me to display the pronouns next to the name. I've been to plenty of real-life meetings that started by going around the room saying "My name is..." and "My pronouns are...," while never once saying "My race is..." or "My religion is...." So to me this reflects real life.

With that said, I am not super invested in where the pronouns are displayed. I just think the Sims team has made a logical choice.

if well I know it is a joke, but race and religion never will be here
    1) Sims series cant talk about religion
    2) Race? The Sims 4 also include non natural skin colors
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member

That's how it should be, as far as I'm concerned we're all the same race, we're the human race and religion should never come up unless an individual wants to share it and be respectful if someone shares a different view, I got to admit I've never had to announce my pronouns
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

This is quite baffling to me. People are so eager to share their pronouns yet many refuse to declare whether Mr. or Mrs. title or age.
  • Options
    kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    @EA_Cade how will gender neutral pronouns work with police career? Oftentimes gender is one of the clues about crime suspects.

Forwarded up the chain, I'll let you know if I get more on this but most likely it will be addressed in a Livestream or blog post on The Sims section of EA.com. :)

Unless the game is going to generate non-binary Sims on its own, this shouldn't be an issue.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kusurusu wrote: »

Unless the game is going to generate non-binary Sims on its own, this shouldn't be an issue.

Then if it is tied with gender patch, you will no see generated sims with non-binary or custom pronouns, unless have mod to allow non-binary sims
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I just want the game to recognize males and females by default. I shouldn’t have to adjust anything if I don’t play any other way. I don't need the visuals either. The recently added neighborhood stories already speaks about individual sims in a general way. Statements like “Should I be friends with Bella Goth? They seem nice” shouldn’t be the default unless I change it.

This is a big feature that hopefully will be fully functional for those who want it. This isn’t a “don’t like it, don’t buy it situation” because the game is about to turn 8 years old. This is about everyone being able to play their own game however they wish.
    Post edited by lunaoddity on
  • Options
    kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    edited January 2022
    kusurusu wrote: »

Then if it is tied with gender patch, you will no see generated sims with non-binary or custom pronouns, unless have mod to allow non-binary sims

In that case the clue you'd get would be determined by your suspect's default gender and not by any customizations or pronouns.

In addition to that, clues usually come from eyewitnesses telling you what the suspect looks like or traces (which might contain their DNA) left by the suspect themselves. Finding out about someone's pronouns would require talking to them (which I think is very unlikely here).
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    As a Builder, I couldn’t care less about pronouns. Just give me a #%$&#% pool table for crying out loud! 😝
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2022
    if well I know it is a joke, but race and religion never will be here
    1) Sims series cant talk about religion
    2) Race? The Sims 4 also include non natural skin colors

The Sims already has religion or religious items, clothing or systems from the series as a whole. Its just not a main feature in TS4. The sims team could add it in 4 if they really cared to.*cough* The SE removals *cough*
    Not much is known about religion in SimNation since it is a secular nation. There appears to be no official state religion, and there seems to be an absence of organized religion in The Sims, The Sims 2, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4. However, churches were present in the original SimCity and in SimCity 2000, and SimCity 4 includes the option to build Houses of Worship and Cemeteries in the city. And in The Sims 4 Sims can leave a sugar skull offering, showing, along with the description that Sims celebrate the Day Of The Dead. Religion was probably deliberately left open-ended for the player to decide how to envision religious practice in The Sims.[72]

Sims do appear to believe in an afterlife and the supernatural, but not in any religious way. The Grim Reaper appears in The Sims and its sequels and deceased Sims appear as ghosts. Also, various occult-related items, activities, and, in the case of The Sims: Makin' Magic an entire sub-neighborhood related to the occult have appeared throughout the series. They also seem to be somewhat aware of the player as they sometimes wave to get the players attention when something's wrong, as if breaking the fourth wall.

In The Sims, the description of a few Decorative items makes mention of not only Christianity and excommunication, but also of Graeco-Roman paganism and related deities, such as Aphrodite and Ares.

In The Sims 2 there are mentioned real life religions, such as Judaism in Chanukah Menorah, Catholic and Puritans in Gingerbread House and Buddhism in Osho Nuff Tablet.

In The Sims 2: University, students majoring in Philosophy will take a class entitled "Who Controls the Pie Menu and Why?", implying that some Sims do take part in some sort of philosophical-religious debate; however, this is probably intended as a joke for the player, who controls the pie menu (usually presumed to be invisible to Sims, much like the PlumbBob) and is therefore in a sense "playing god".

In The Sims 2 for Nintendo DS, a god called the Prime Heifer is revealed. Ava Cadavra has the player build a shrine for the Prime Heifer's statue, but it is later destroyed by the player's Sim and replaced with a statue of an Egyptian God by Horus Menhoset IX. In The Sims 2 for PlayStation Portable, the Kine Society, which was founded by Dominic Newlow and is led by Sinjin Balani, worships the same god under the name Beelzebeef.

In The Sims 2: Bon Voyage, visitors to Twikkii Island may accidentally anger an ancient island god, Jumbok IV, by desecrating the ruins of his temple. The long-dead tribe of island people in The Sims 2: Castaway apparently worshiped a llama god, as another ruined temple containing llama idols can be found on Volcano Island. However, the temples of both gods have fallen into disrepair, suggesting that they are part of an ancient system of beliefs no longer followed by either the islanders themselves or their neighbors in SimNation.

In The Sims 3, Hortimus is mentioned to be god of sun and plants in Sun disc object.

In The Sims Medieval, Sims partake in a form of religion resembling medieval Christianity. While the religion itself has no mentioned name, it consists of two named branches; the Jacoban Church, which relies on being feared and that the Watcher is a vengeful God, and the Peteran Church, which relies on being loved and that the Watcher is a loving God. Assuming The Sims Medieval and The Sims series take place in the same universe, it appears that the religion survived in the modern age and the Sims in Selvadorada believe in the same God.

Assuming the Sims universe is in the same universe as the game Spore is, the Spode Cult may be a religion followed by Sims; however, the Spode Cult may have formed later, formed by an alien race, or the game may not even take place in the same universe.

In Windenburg and Brindleton Bay, a church-like structure makes an appearance as an environmental building, but it cannot be visited.

The Sims 4: Jungle Adventure reveals the Omiscans believed in a being known as the Watcher and complex religion, describing creation of Sims and afterlife in Glyphs.

The Sims 4: Cottage Living added a new location "The Bramblewood". The Isle of Volpe National Park which druids are referenced to have inhabited, suggesting some historic religious practices (possibly nature/ animal centred) in the area.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.