Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First Look At NPC Overhaul

Comments

• Options
    SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2021
    I like the new Mortimer and, with his future new mustache, he will be better. But, the Caliente sisters need their green eyes and a warmer skin tone. Also, Nina and Dina are twin sisters, right? I didn't imagine that? In Sims 2 they had the same exact face, but with different makeup and clothing style.
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Skyrryx I always believed them to be unidentical twins with very slightly different features and, of course, the different coloured hair.

I don't know why they went for shorter hair on Dina though, she had long hair in TS2. I prefer her with long hair.

I don't really understand what they are doing with this. Didn't they say once that they would never change the npc sims because it would mess with people's games? Presumably this is only going to come into effect if we start a new save so, for many of us, I guess we won't ever see them in our games anyway.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I don't really care about the NPCs because I only really play them if they marry into the households I create. but I'm not sure that the changes are particularly beneficial to the game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Skyrryx wrote: »
    I like the new Mortimer and, with his future new mustache, he will be better. But, the Caliente sisters need their green eyes and a warmer skin tone. Also, Nina and Dina are twin sisters, right? I didn't imagine that? In Sims 2 they had the same exact face, but with different makeup and clothing style.
    They were actually fraternal twins with some different face features, which I like better cause Pleasantview already had identical twins in Angela and Lilith Pleasant.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    ...appreciate the effort, but I think I'll stick with my own makeovers, thanks :|

IJfD5Tr.pngxMarqN2.png
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    @FanPhoria wrote: »
    ...appreciate the effort, but I think I'll stick with my own makeovers, thanks :|

IJfD5Tr.pngxMarqN2.png

I put Cassandra in the exact same outfit, except I gave her the red plaid skirt.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2021

Honestly I'm not usually into men but out of these Mortimer is the only good looking one, Bella doesn't even resemble herself, she's ugly for one and why did you guys remove the Calientes Green Eyes!
    FanPhoria wrote: »

IJfD5Tr.pngxMarqN2.png
    Honestly these are the proper skin tones since they at least resemble the canon versions better, than the concept art, EA you overdid it, let's put it in food terms we're asking for golden brown toast not burnt toast essentially meaning that you overcooked them.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    LOL I actually Love the Caliente sisters new look, their hair needs a complete restyle but their feature are much more in line with their heritage. I love the concept for Mort, I always thought he was supposed to be a bit older than Bella anyway. Bella has been a disappointment for me in the sims 4. I always imagined her as a bit of a trophy wife, gorgeous and charasmatic-but the facial features on the sims 4 Bella and her hair... even her body shape, I always thought was a let down. I'd like to see a completely new Bella Goth.
  • Options
    BTW are Calientes also getting their Extraterrestrial heritage as well with this update.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    I love the idea of the Calientes having extraterrestrial heritage, but the Calientes are basegame while aliens come with Get to Work, so I wonder how that could work...?
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited November 2021

IJfD5Tr.pngxMarqN2.png

Now this is more what I expected to see from maxis. New looks with different skintones and haircuts, but still looking like fun characters. Btw I also gave the goths a toddler, in my game it is a girl.

The ones from the livestream look so exhausted and depressed. The maxis overhauls don't come across as Sims 4 characters but resemble pictures made by artists who want to portrait people with a rough or depressing life.

BTW will the overhaul be looks only? I thought it would also be focused on lore.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2021
    So reading about the eye color got me thinking and had to do a bit of research on eye colors. Sorry @SimGuruRusskii just saw the VOD of the stream and made me think about it more. Your hair looked amazing in it. I love the new haircut.

Middle Eastern:
    https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/Common-Misconceptions-About-the-Middle-East-The-People

"Middle Easterners are biologically very diverse. It is a stereotype that they all have olive-toned skin, black eyes, and black hair, but in fact, many have very light skin, brown or blonde hair, and blue or green eyes. Some Middle Easterners have a more stereotypically "African" appearance, with dark skin and Afro hair, and some have almond-shaped eyes, appearing to be more stereotypically "Asian" looking than anything else."

Spanish:

https://www.expatica.com/es/moving/about/typical-spanish-107556/

"There are vast regional differences and variations in hair type and eye colour. Fair skin, blue and green eyes, light brown, blond and even red hair is common in many regions. For example, in Alicante many people have distinctively green eyes and in the northern regions, such as the Basque Country and Asturias, it is common to find Spaniards who would be hard to distinguish from our common stereotypes of northern Europeans. This is not to mention the light brown and wavy hair that is characteristic throughout the Mediterranean regions."

So really there isn't any reason for the twins not to have green or olive eyes. It is a known eye color in both cultures. Plus with them being a hybrid alien on top of that it is also a nod to that.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    BTW are Calientes also getting their Extraterrestrial heritage as well with this update.
    I love the idea of the Calientes having extraterrestrial heritage, but the Calientes are basegame while aliens come with Get to Work, so I wonder how that could work...?

I was wondering this too. Although Aliens are a GTW feature, I'd have absolutely no issue with them being added to the BG. (I know many Simmers don't like when pack features are put into the BG, I'm sorry!). I definitely didn't buy GTW for Aliens, and feel they should be BG anyway. I'm sure some will disagree, and that's okay. :smile:

I usually leave NPCs alone, but if their stories/lore are being updated and included then I may be more interested in them. I hope they bring in something about Bella's disappearance. To me that's quite a big storyline and I'm disappointed it's been ignored in this iteration (although I am aware TS4 is meant to be an alternate reality).
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    The old hair colors are such a mismatch with the new skin colors, it's hard to see how they will actually look in game. Thankfully, they mentioned changing the hair colors in the live stream.

Anyhow, hair colors not matching with skin tones is a real problem in CAS. There's only a few combinations that work, the rest looks like dirt on a rug to me.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    They look like facial reconstructions of the deceased.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited November 2021
    Mort looks good, but the ashy skin tones on Bella, Dina and Nina don't suit anyone. Nina and Dina's faces seem wider than before, they should really be narrower. Change Nina and Dina's eyes back to green. Also their brows feel a little low to me.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited November 2021
    In The Sims 2, Nina and Dina had narrow jawlines and high cheekbones (as well as the green eyes) to slightly resemble the Sims 2 alien faces so they can do just that. But it seems like they're going for the opposite.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if their alien heritage was completely retconned when they changed their mother to Katrina (even though it comes from their father's side).
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I don't really care because they're long dead in my save. But in case I make a new save one day, I will welcome the new premade editions.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I'd rather keep the versions we currently have than get the awful new versions, that's how bad these concepts are, they're bad resigns, that will need proper fixing if the Devs chose to go through with these downgrades.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member

IJfD5Tr.pngxMarqN2.png

These are more what I would want in a makeover!
    Great job 😎👍

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I am a little bit confused by this. I am not seeing what it is for?

We can make the pre-mades look as we wish and alter their back stories, etc. It can all be done as part of the base gameplay in CAS and Manage Worlds. The community gallery is heaving with premade makeovers and 'official' sims also available for download there.

What am I missing?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options

We can make the pre-mades look as we wish and alter their back stories, etc. It can all be done as part of the base gameplay in CAS and Manage Worlds. The community gallery is heaving with premade makeovers and 'official' sims also available for download there.

What am I missing?

They're doing an overhaul and it's really bad from the looks of it, I really hope the Devs listen to our criticisms, I mean I can also bug them on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit, if the Devs don't think the Official Forums covers enough of the community, Forums exist so Devs can see what their community want, but if another site is doing the forums job job than the forums become redundant sorry if I'm getting off topic.
  • Options
    It's like the Devs had one job, how could you guys screw it up, I was expecting better from you, you literally had the blueprints from Sims 2 maybe use it next time.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member

What am I missing?

They're doing an overhaul and it's really bad from the looks of it, I really hope the Devs listen to our criticisms, I mean I can also bug them on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit, if the Devs don't think the Official Forums covers enough of the community, Forums exist so Devs can see what their community want, but if another site is doing the forums job job than the forums become redundant sorry if I'm getting off topic.

I wish the forums got more attention too. I don't use social media, and would love to be able to interact with Devs and have my opinion listened to.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2021

What am I missing?

I think this is a response from Maxis to common criticism on twitter and other social media about how Maxis designed these premade sims back in 2014.

I thought that the reason why they have not done it before is because they knew that it would be better to let people remake these sims into what they wanted, and there would be no way to please everyone.

But now they are making an attempt, so we will see how it will turn out.