Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First Look At NPC Overhaul

12345679...Next

Comments

• diavolosimsdiavolosims Posts: 37 Member
    I'm honestly not sure about this NPC overhaul when I saw the preview sims they are working on. The idea itself is good, but showing off these... sims, they look kind of off even if they're accurate "culturally and lore-wise". But then again, they said these are them without makeup or retouching, and they are just concept sketches.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    I'm honestly not sure about this NPC overhaul when I saw the preview sims they are working on. The idea itself is good, but showing off these... sims, they look kind of off even if they're accurate "culturally and lore-wise". But then again, they said these are them without makeup or retouching, and they are just concept sketches.

Lore wise the Calientes should also have extraterrestrial features.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

Lore wise the Calientes should also have extraterrestrial features.

The Calientes are aliens? :open_mouth: I did not know that..

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    The Caliente family history.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Caliente_family
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member

Thanks for the link, I learned some things that surprised me! For instance, I had no idea that Katrina was the mother, I thought she was just another sister. And although I knew Dina and Nina were sisters, I had no idea they are twins.

Now I feel even worse about the time I sent all of the Calientes swimming under "mysterious weather"---before I could get Katrina out of the pool and dressed, she froze to death.....right in front of her kids....
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    People seem to forget that Nina and Dina's father is half alien and half Hispanic, that would make them One Quarter Alien 👽, One Quarter Hispanic and half Arab, Plus it's literally in the name, you can't spell Caliente without the word Alien, cALIENte
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    People seem to forget that Nina and Dina's father is half alien and half Hispanic, that would make them One Quarter Alien 👽, One Quarter Hispanic and half Arab, Plus it's literally in the name, you can't spell Caliente without the word Alien, cALIENte

cALIENte, Alien.....I didn't pick up on that either!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2022
    Out of interest since we got the Goth's makeovers I created Dina's new look in the game from the concept image

cALIENte.png
    05-26-22-8-41-38-PM.png

Not the best, however if they were to change the hair to this one, it's pretty spot on

05-26-22-8-41-50-PM.png
    05-26-22-8-54-11-PM.png
  • AdiAdi Posts: 6 New Member
    I don't like what they did with the Goths at all. who thought it was a good idea to change Alexander's skin tone?
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited May 2022
    Onverser wrote: »
    Out of interest since we got the Goth's makeovers I created Dina's new look in the game from the concept image

cALIENte.png
    05-26-22-8-41-38-PM.png

Not the best, however if they were to change the hair to this one, it's pretty spot on

05-26-22-8-41-50-PM.png
    05-26-22-8-54-11-PM.png
    Still really hope they keep the Caliente's green eyes, people of Hispanic and Arab background CAN have green eyes, no need to make them look even further apart from their original appearances (as in previous games, not their random Sims 4 appearances).
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2022
    I was never to bothered by how they looked originally and I prefer them the way they were. All that really needed changing appearance wise was Bella and Cassandra's skin tones. What I was hoping for more was lore and relationships to make sense in the game but nothing seems to have changed regarding that so far.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Based on what I'm seeing so far, I do not like these "makeovers" at all they're quite honestly in my opinion, terrible. Especially Bella. They pretty much destroyed her entirely. It's extremely disappointing to me, and I hope the "final" products look nothing like the concept art.

They made Bella look waaaayyyyyy older than what she is now/I assume she's supposed to be. She looks to be in her 50s at least (to me) I always found it strange that as a young adult, she had a teenage daughter, but I always assumed she just had Cassandra younger (like 18-20) which would put her in her Mid to late 30s.

Mortimer's not terrible but like Bella, he looks seriously older too. (like 60+ I'd say) Other than going overboard on making him look a heck of a lot older, I think he's mostly okay.

Caliente Sisters - Again, they seem to have aged them up quite a bit, (I think the eye bags are too deep, maybe) but they aren't nearly as bad as Bella and Mortimer. I find it more noticeable on Dina than Nina for some reason though? Nina honestly looks pretty decent to me for the most part. I agree she's in need of a hairstyle change and the green eyes, but otherwise isn't too bad. Then again, just about anything would have been better than the default look she was given.

Also, what is up with the corpse-y gray looking skin tone???

Welp! Bella looks just as bad with the official makeover as she did in the concept art. Corpse-y undertone and all. :/ They really should given her a warmer tone in a similar shade.

And they STILL chose to make her look 50+ for some reason.

Mortimer's not nearly as bad as he was in the concept art, but I don't know how I feel about his thinner mustache. :joy: Still, I think he turned out the best of the entire Goth family and is the only one that's really recognizable as the same character.

Hopefully the Calientes turn out better.
  • ML2003ML2003 Posts: 21 Member
    I like the Mortimer, Bella and Cassandra overhaul, its faithful to their original looks. Can't say the same for Alexander.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited November 2022

Confirming they are still working on it. Important for @SimGuruFrost to realize that the townie overhaul isn't just about appearances...it's also about reestablishing lore via appropriate bios, traits, relationship dynamics, careers, etc.

Important to listen to stalwarts of the Sims lore community like PleasantSims on this. Listen to the changes she makes and how she describes WHY she makes the changes she makes.

"I Fixed The Sims 4 Lore & Stories (Base Game) + Save File Download"
    https://youtu.be/8AjXEjSYiqM

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    Bit by bit, things take time for example the nose for the new Mortimer was a brand new sculpt which takes time to make and then add to BG for all players to use.

It's even longer in particular when the highest priority is Project Rene CAS...
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2022
    Not talking about the obvious race change of the goths which I understand, but just in general I think a lot of their sims 4 appearances are just due to an advancement in technology and the more cartoony style and I think it fits them. The maxis NPCs are always so much more lively and noticeable than the random townies and I want my sims to meet them and dance with them etc because they are bright and they look fun.

I don’t like the concept changes.

cALIENte.png just looks like they sucked all the fun out of her. She looks very tired. You could give her darker eyes and eyebrows and still have her look fun but they’ve really gone all out to make her look as plain and unappealing as they can.

I think they should focus more on pleasing the people who want this with sims 5 by revamping them from the original games and not the sims 4 versions in the new art style. But I would prefer they just left Sims 4 as it is. I mean anyone who cares has changed it themselves and a lot of us started with 4 and this is doing to us what the 4’s design did to 3 players.

I’d much rather they updated their story lore and their wardrobes to include summer and winter outfits than give them all new chins and noses and skintones.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member

Confirming they are still working on it. Important for @SimGuruFrost to realize that the townie overhaul isn't just about appearances...it's also about reestablishing lore via appropriate bios, traits, relationship dynamics, careers, etc.

Important to listen to stalwarts of the Sims lore community like PleasantSims on this. Listen to the changes she makes and how she describes WHY she makes the changes she makes.

"I Fixed The Sims 4 Lore & Stories (Base Game) + Save File Download"
    https://youtu.be/8AjXEjSYiqM

I agree with Pleasant sims on this.
    I am doing this to my master save, so the NPCs make more sense.
    So whenever I start a new save, I am good to go and don't have to edit all over again.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Are the Hoth's and Caliente's the only families redone?
    WbUrFQm.png
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    I"m still shocked by the new Alexander Goth's adult look.