Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3: Do you prefer to make male sims or female sims?

I deliberately left out the "Both" option because I am interested to see which one the players prefer to create in the Sims 3. :)

Feel free to explain your reasons down below.
chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
._.

Sims 3: Do you prefer to make male sims or female sims? 64 votes

Male sims.
32%
canitbemanRflong7CororonJeansooalanmichael1MikezumiBabykittyjadeSindocatCAPTAIN_NXR7OnverserSorak4AstroKelvinEnkiSchmidtThriorcomicsforlifeizecsonGeralt_ofRiviaheauxfinityTurjan 21 votes
Female sims.
67%
Emily4331carlystur03GraceyManorParyMe1620DarkLady2788emorrillkeene61InfraGreenIreneSwiftbenson2006GITTE2001ilikethesims30MemoriiValentineZeeGeestephAnie1864BreazonabritpopsimssimmerLellaPalmArrow 43 votes

Comments

• Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Male sims.
    Speaking only for myself, I enjoy making male characters in all video games, sims included. Needless to say I am well aware that I must be in the minority here because (1) I don't customise my female sims to the same extent I do with male sims and (2) I am not good at making female sims myself, to begin with.

In additional to that, I think - this is my own opinion - female sims already have quite a large amount of high quality custom content as well as official EA content made for them (don't get me wrong, the more content, the merrier!) compared to the little effort poured into stuff male sims receive so I guess I felt kind of sorry for the men and ended up spending a disproportionately excessive amount of effort trying to compensate them by making them look "decent" in my game.

If this makes any sense at all :joy: I like the sims, particularly CAS. I do like playing as both but I find it more fun making male, that's all. :D
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    bellagorillabellagorilla Posts: 6,891 Member
    Female sims.
    I always spend like an hour-ish on my girls, and then click on the guys and...what do I do? :confounded: My guys always come out looking derpy or something because I don't know how to dress them :joy:
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited June 2021
    Female sims.
    At the risk of sounding extremely creepy, as a guy, I tend to fixate on the girls that I work on in Sims. Rest assured, I'm quite happily married.

My wife as a simself.
    Screenshot-132.jpg
    Her simself took at least six hours of work to put into to make her look like my wonderful other half I married in RL.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Female sims.
    Whenever I'm playing around in CAS I usually play with female sims, though out of my "regulars" ( ie- sims I play all the time ) they're pretty much even in male to female ratio.
    I like making females the most, as I love experimenting with colouful makeups and dresses and such. It isn't so much that I prefer females, I just find them easier to work with personally.

Also all my men always come out looking kinda feminine, even though I never want them to. I think it is my default skin which is kind of soft and peachy. I'd love to make them look all rough and stuff but they never turn out like that!
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Female sims.
    I create both male and female.I usually write a lot of romance stories.I always have the female be the leading lady, and the male to be the one
    she meets.I'm better at creating male sims though than female.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Male sims.
    Kelvin wrote: »
    Speaking only for myself, I enjoy making male characters in all video games, sims included. Needless to say I am well aware that I must be in the minority here because (1) I don't customise my female sims to the same extent I do with male sims and (2) I am not good at making female sims myself, to begin with.

In additional to that, I think - this is my own opinion - female sims already have quite a large amount of high quality custom content as well as official EA content made for them (don't get me wrong, the more content, the merrier!) compared to the little effort poured into stuff male sims receive so I guess I felt kind of sorry for the men and ended up spending a disproportionately excessive amount of effort trying to compensate them by making them look "decent" in my game.

If this makes any sense at all :joy: I like the sims, particularly CAS. I do like playing as both but I find it more fun making male, that's all. :D
    Same here.

What I do when I don’t have an idea for a sim to create (make or female) is use stock images for inspiration.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Male sims.
    I prefer making males and don't really enjoy playing with female sims and female offspring are married off and moved out as soon as they age up :D As for clothes, I find dressing males easier. I have no idea what males of today wear so dress my boys as I would have liked the men I dated in my youth to dress. It's very hard to find female clothes that I would actually have worn back in the day. I know I am old and, although not prudish, do find the hemlines too short or the necklines too low. I also have absolutely no idea how to apply makeup be it on my sims or myself. I was fortunate enough to look good without when young so never learned ;)
  • Options
    SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,143 Member
    edited June 2021
    Female sims.
    I don't know, I probably have a slight preference towards making females, and I certainly enjoy playing the females more in game, but whenever I make a new sim, I always make one of the opposite gender because I want my towns to be balanced.
    th1das9.png
    Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Female sims.
    I make female sims slightly more than male sims. I wish there was a "Both" option because I do tend to make an almost even amount of both.

• Options
    Female sims.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I prefer making males and don't really enjoy playing with female sims and female offspring are married off and moved out as soon as they age up :D As for clothes, I find dressing males easier. I have no idea what males of today wear so dress my boys as I would have liked the men I dated in my youth to dress. It's very hard to find female clothes that I would actually have worn back in the day. I know I am old and, although not prudish, do find the hemlines too short or the necklines too low. I also have absolutely no idea how to apply makeup be it on my sims or myself. I was fortunate enough to look good without when young so never learned ;)

Do you do skincare though? I noticed with naturally pretty people, yes, they don't do makeup but have a good skincare routine.

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Male sims.
    Recently I've been really into making and playing with male sims. I get bored with making female sims as I don't have much female cc so they all tend to look the same after 😭
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I make both and have no preference either way. Sorry. :tongue: It comes down to which I need for my story as I generally don't use EA sims unless it is a side character needed for the plot.
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Female sims.
    I enjoy making female sims more, at least if making good looking sims is what I'm going for, because I feel I can make a broader range of pretty faces for female sims. With male sims I have a very clear type: a long, narrow face with small eyes, a wide mouth, a strong jaw and a relatively prominent nose and chin. I like the female version of this kind of face too, but female sims can also look lovely with short and round faces, big eyes, tiny noses, weak jaws... So when making a female sim feel I can use some sliders values I would ignore when making a male sim, and having more creative tools to work with makes it more fun.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Male sims.
    I have about 4 female Sims I like playing. I usually let them find someone and then I'll edit the male to an interesting (to me) Sim look. :)
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Male sims.
    @ClarionOfJoy I will admit to having let myself go in my fifties and sixties, but I did make some effort with skincare when younger.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Female sims.
    I am going to say female just because there are more hairstyles I like there and when I am making male Sims I get annoyed because I want to use the same hairstyles I like but do not want them all to look the same.

For playing, though, I always make a mix of male and female Sims, but I probably played with males as my main character the most in 3. It was less about the looks and more about the personality in 3 for me, which explains a lot in my opinion. So long as they did not offend my eyes (or were designed to be that way), and many did because I did not care for the graphic style, then I could focus on the inspiration I had. Compare that to 4 where the Sims look great but I have to sub in a lot of personality myself. I have fun designing both, but my main character is nearly always one woman I have prototypes of from all the way back in 2.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2021
    I am not sure if I prefer creating one gender over another since I usually create Sims based on several factors. Such as balancing out the male and female population as I don't use any kind of story progression or if a Sim is having trouble finding someone they can connect to and so on.

I think females are easier for me than males though. Particularly when dressing them. Also I enjoy experimenting with makeup colors and have a large collection of MAC inspired lipsticks, blush and so on. I have my own colors I made up from taking the RGB codes from pictures.
    Screenshot-1973.jpg
    Screenshot-1930.jpg
    Screenshot-1934.jpg
    Screenshot-1977.jpg

Screenshot-1978.jpg
    Screenshot-1981.jpg
    Screenshot-1982.jpg
    Screenshot-1986.jpg

Screenshot-40.jpg
    Black_Cherry.jpg
    Marine_Ultra.jpg
    Pink_Gold.jpg
    Metallic_Dark_Gold.jpg
    Red_Obsessed.jpg
    Shop_Shop_Shop.jpg

But even in other video games if I have the opportunity to create and play as either gender then I will likely play as both which is the case with Cyberpunk 2077. As a second playthrough I'll probably pick a male character to play as in Monster Hunter: World as well. If I remember correctly I started doing this ever since PlayStation Home because of a freebie for both genders but since I only had a female avatar I decided to create a male avatar to put to use the other freebie.
    20210417183839_1.jpg
    photomode_26012021_005946.png
    photomode_27012021_174630.png
    PlayStation(R)Home_Picture_04-23-2014_20-02-38.jpg
    PlayStation(R)Home_Picture_05-05-2014_17-02-05.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Female sims.
    I prefer making female sims cause they have more options and variety of styles.
  • Options
    Female sims.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy I will admit to having let myself go in my fifties and sixties, but I did make some effort with skincare when younger.

Ah okay. I was going to ask what your routine was - not that I'm naturally pretty. It's just that for me any effort helps, lol!

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Female sims.
    I've always mostly made female sims over male sims do to the fact that I'm female. However, I do make some males with some of my females when it regards a certain theme. Also, I've made a group of 8, 6 & 4 very handsome brothers or cousins as premades for my single females to meet & maybe fall in love. ;)<3<3
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited June 2021
    Female sims.
    I don't actively try to give men the shaft (EA has always been very cruel to them) but 1) my big saves and story revolve around my all-female race of daemons even if men and male hybrids exist in their world too, and 2) I'm just a humble lesbian.

EDIT: oh yeah most of my CC (especially in progress/private stuff) is for the ladies so this feedback loop keeps going.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Male sims.
    If I create 10 sims, it will be 9:1 = male:female.. because I feel more comfortable with male sims for the adventures in 3 countries. Also I always let my sims exercise to protect my home from burglars, most of my female sims get wider shoulder and bigger body lines from exercise, and this type of female sims are not my flavor. Weird thing is it is very common to see the burglars in my games. It doesn’t matter which sim I play with in game. So I always give brave or mean trait to my sims, and ask them to protect the house themselves. Some other simmer guess that I may have ‘more burglar spawns mod’ but I’ve never had. :D Anyway, I also feel easier to customize the male sims and easier to play with them. :) Also I get bored quicker with female sims.
  • Options
    TheAlyssa4LifeTheAlyssa4Life Posts: 4 New Member
    Female sims.
    I am so much better at making women. Plus there's usually more options for them too. But yeah, I'm biased.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    I also would have answered 'Both', if it had been an option.

I tend to create Sims based on what I need for my game to fulfill a certain overall 'vibe' of the world I am playing or for a role I am filling. For example, if I feel the 'Leader of the Free World' for a specific town/world would flow better (story-wise) with a female at the helm, then I create a female Sim to fulfill the role. Should I need a male to hold a specific position, I create a male.

Since all of my Sim are developed 'equally', gender is nothing more than a visual 'aesthetic' for me. When it comes to actually 'creating' my Sims, because I create with purpose in mind, I haven't noticed a preference towards either gender.
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    edited June 2021
    Female sims.
    About the only reason I prefer female sims is because you can vary their appearance a little more than male sims ( especially when it comes to clothes and hair). However, I do like to play make sims every now and then as well .