Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Know Any Simmers IRL

This tweet got me to thinking about how I've been playing the Sims for 20 years and in all that time I've only come upon two other people outside of my household who played the game. Both were preteen children of coworkers.

Does anyone know any devoted Simmers in real life?

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No one has volunteered the information to me on whether they play or not and I have never asked.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I have a friend who casually plays, but I think it's been a few years now since she's logged in and actually played. We used to hang out at her house and both just play side by side on our laptops though which was fun.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    No. My siblings play on occasion
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,877 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    No one has volunteered the information to me on whether they play or not and I have never asked.

I'm wondering if that might be relevant. Are people hesitant to reveal they play The Sims? 🤔 I always find a way to bring it up in conversation hoping to find other players.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021

I'm wondering if that might be relevant. Are people hesitant to reveal they play The Sims? 🤔 I always find a way to bring it up in conversation hoping to find other players.

I just remember the producers of the game revealing in an interview maybe a few years ago that their target audience was teenage girls and ever since it completely turned me off from sharing with anyone other than random folks online that I play the game (since I am not their target audience).

That being said, only a few family members know I have ever played the game and that’s because I’ve been playing since I was a preteen and they used to buy packs for me on birthdays and stuff lol.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    @simgirl1010 I tell a lot of people I play, just since it is a part of my life and one of my main hobbies, but usually it's just a casual remark. They don't know just how invested I actually am lol
  • Options
    @permanentrose not even my immediate family knows how invested I am. 😄 Which is why I'd love to meet another Sim Fanatic IRL to share with.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Other than my 3 daughters who use to play all of them, nobody else. Although my oldest wanted to but couldn't get it to work on her laptop and my youngest daughter just told me last week that she thought she was going to try playing again.

But other than that no. I've told people and let them borrow my old discs and never got them back!

Usually people I tell have absolutely no idea what the game is, or they say something like "Ohhhh yeah I used to play that when I was a teen, is that still around?"
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don't really socialize these days so p_p

but my sister do play some

and back in early 2000s when i still be at age to see more humans by default

it was almost more rare to find a kid that had never played sims game at all

so like idk

i guess most of those people might not be playing anymore though

and well i always feel like its more the fact people don't casually ask if u play sims or nah that we don't really know about simmers in our midst

personally i don't really see any reason to hide the fact i play sims but no one also ever asked so :lol: i dont go just explaining beauty of vlads nose to random people u know
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Siblings and I have had some coworkers before. I come across more Minecraft and Animal Crossing players however.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Nope. The last person I mentioned The Sims to had never even heard of it! 😮
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options

Pretty much. Not everyone is impressed I play with virtual Barbie dolls. Not something that comes up in conversations a lot. It was easier to talk about it during the Sims 3 because we had more male Simmers around when it was more than just a dress up game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I know a few people IRL who play The Sims. A couple of my daughter's friends and a couple of my friends. I think my husband downloaded the base game for PS4 when it was free on Steam, and then I told him it wasn't the sort of game he'd enjoy. :smile:
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Pretty much. Not everyone is impressed I play with virtual Barbie dolls. Not something that comes up in conversations a lot. It was easier to talk about it during the Sims 3 because we had more male Simmers around when it was more than just a dress up game.

@Scobre, I'm not sure I understand your point. It was easier to talk about what?
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I'll be honest, I get embarrassed to reveal that I play and how invested I am in the game. When I tell people I mod games, the sims is always at the bottom of the list, too. LoL.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

@Scobre, I'm not sure I understand your point. It was easier to talk about what?
    The Sims. There were polls out that there was a 50/50 split with male and female Simmers. Sims 3 attracted more male players and honestly it helped a lot with having discussions about the game. Sims 4 is very CAS focused to its target market is more towards female players. Actually would be fun to have demographics polls on all the Sims games again. There was an interview with the Gurus how the Sims 3 attracted male players. So yes gets embarrassing talking about a more girly iteration this time around. With the Sims 3 it was nice sharing stories and builds with friends in real life. Sims 4 gets called the girly iteration and the one with toxic positivity when I try to bring it up in a conversation. It gets discouraging a lot. Not taken as a real game usually but more treated like SimCity's evil stepchild. Doesn't have the best reputation in discussions and ends up depressing people, so I try not to bring it up. Easier to talk about the other versions with my friends.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Good question. I know someone who plays The Sims 3, someone who has played The Sims on occasion, and someone who has tried The Sims 4. Oh, and someone who I helped to get The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. So I know some who have/play the game, but the only dedicated simmer I know personally is me.
  • Options

The Sims. There were polls out that there was a 50/50 split with male and female Simmers. Sims 3 attracted more male players and honestly it helped a lot with having discussions about the game. Sims 4 is very CAS focused to its target market is more towards female players. Actually would be fun to have demographics polls on all the Sims games again. There was an interview with the Gurus how the Sims 3 attracted male players. So yes gets embarrassing talking about a more girly iteration this time around. With the Sims 3 it was nice sharing stories and builds with friends in real life. Sims 4 gets called the girly iteration and the one with toxic positivity when I try to bring it up in a conversation. It gets discouraging a lot. Not taken as a real game usually but more treated like SimCity's evil stepchild. Doesn't have the best reputation in discussions and ends up depressing people, so I try not to bring it up. Easier to talk about the other versions with my friends.

Understood. I wasn't reflecting on any one version. Just whether or not you personally know someone who plays. Any version.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    The person that introduced me to Sims 4 is no longer my friend... but that person was the only one. Since it's part of the whole franchise, I haven't met anyone in real life that has played any of the SimCity games.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Two of my nephews and my daughter play casually but are not invested...I don't know anyone invested in the game.
    But i don't ask or talk about it...The few times i mentioned it in the past i always got some unpolite remarks like "that's a stupid game" or "you play that!? For god sake...". So i just enjoy it myself and with you guys :)
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I'm the only simmer I know. My daughter used to play the Sims 1 and 2 (she's the one that originally introduced me to the Sims 1 game), but she eventually changed over to playing only console fantasy rpg games that all of her friends are playing together online.

But I've always preferred strategy/city building type of games rather than shooter/fighting/quest style rpg's... so I've stayed with the Sims games for 20 years now.

That's not to say I don't also play rpg games like Fallout, Skyrim, WOW, Assassin's Creed, etc because I get lots of fun out of playing those games as well. Heck, I'm a nerdy gamer going all the way back to the days of text-based MUD room games like Dungeons and Dragons in the late 1980's (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and floppy discs still ruled the world). But I always end up falling back to my tried and true Sims games. Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Sims Castaways, Sims Medieval, and Sims 4 because after all these years I'm still really enjoying each iteration. :)
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I have several friends who own it but don't play.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I don't know about devoted, but yes. I only got the game myself after my mother and cousin played it (it was one of my first games, I think my first PC game ever) and I know they kept playing a bit. My cousin stopped a little into 4 (when she started to move more into family life). My mom played 1 and 3, but she found the needs difficult. I think she liked 3 better than one, though. My brother played on and off, but I definitely played much more. He would end up just watching me a lot until 3 and then he got random packs. He ended up taking over my mother's saves. I do not think he messed with 4.

As for outside the family, I was one of the few that seemed to have PC games. I was not afraid to talk about them and my friends had interest in the Sims, but it was pretty well console or no games growing up in my school. Everyone usually had access to a PC, or had a laptop as we grew older, but everyone was convinced their computers could not handle games at all and refused to even try.

We bonded much more over handheld games. Later on (4 came out right before I graduated high school), I could meet up with my friends more freely and they played my Sims copy. Eventually one of those friends started to get into PC stuff and picked up 4 on Steam. She is still a long way from collecting a good portion of the packs she wanted, but she is trying when there are sales.
  • Options
    I'm the only simmer I know. My daughter used to play the Sims 1 and 2 (she's the one that originally introduced me to the Sims 1 game), but she eventually changed over to playing only console fantasy rpg games that all of her friends are playing together online.

But I've always preferred strategy/city building type of games rather than shooter/fighting/quest style rpg's... so I've stayed with the Sims games for 20 years now.

That's not to say I don't also play rpg games like Fallout, Skyrim, WOW, Assassin's Creed, etc because I get lots of fun out of playing those games as well. Heck, I'm a nerdy gamer going all the way back to the days of text-based MUD room games like Dungeons and Dragons in the late 1980's (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and floppy discs still ruled the world). But I always end up falling back to my tried and true Sims games. Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Sims Castaways, Sims Medieval, and Sims 4 because after all these years I'm still really enjoying each iteration. :)
    I miss those demo floppy disks. Mario and Duck Hunt on NES was one of my first introduction to video games back before save files.