Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ANOTHER Competitor to The Sims 5?!?? People of the Newbery

Comments

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    Sadly it's a scam. A lots being exposed about it on twitter, none of it is their own creation everything they've shown is just resources available to buy online. Now as soon as it's gained traction they've opened a patreon to profit from it, it's a scam 100% don't trust it at all and definitely don't donate.

You need to fully read all the posts here and also check with the dev for his side. A lot of what you've just posted has been addressed. I'm joining the Patreon to beta-test the game and will report back the outcome.

Are you gonna elaborate on your point or just expect me to search through 16 pages for the one comment you're talking about.

You're an adult right? And can read? And have comprehension skills? Then you can do the due diligence yourself. Talk to the dev and get his side which would be better, especially if you can't read that fast through these pages. That's what other people did and are satisfied to give him a chance. I'm not going to do your work for you.

• Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't get why they don't continue on in the same vain but are going to redo most of the game. They didn't actually do anything wrong, right? And how the beta only changed with a couple of months, even though most of the game has to be redone.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Duvelina wrote: »
    I don't get why they don't continue on in the same vain but are going to redo most of the game. They didn't actually do anything wrong, right? And how the beta only changed with a couple of months, even though most of the game has to be redone.

Because they need to make there own assets.Since buying assets made such a upwore.Keep in mind the dev is young.To me as long we see progress, and proof.It want be bad.
  • Options
    @Horrorgirl6 But he said they'd be using different assets later on anyway, so he could continue on with those same placeholders he had in the first place?
  • Options
    The developer sent me some images of what he is working on!

106118681_135541098168135_6463835922045933122_o.jpg

wWKUmpUj6d4.jpg

izzHlvL6nSU.jpg

Fvp4GQyWk54.jpg

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

wWKUmpUj6d4.jpg

izzHlvL6nSU.jpg

Fvp4GQyWk54.jpg

Okay this is looking more leget.
  • Options

wWKUmpUj6d4.jpg

izzHlvL6nSU.jpg

Fvp4GQyWk54.jpg

Okay this is looking more leget.

He's learning pretty quickly that if he's funded through something like Patreon or Kickstarter that he and his project has to be transparent.

• Options
    The People of the Newbery YouTube channel's subscribers numbers rose to 5.1k from 2.9k the day before!

There's also a new review on it too!

This NEW GAME Is Like THE SIMS 4 But IN 4K!! 😯 // People of the Newbery Official Teaser
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUgB-hrFb5g

• Options
    Dev just posted a small video on the characters of People of the Newbery! I know some people are going to say something like oh this is uncanny valley or something, but remember, that this is a realistic life simulation game. Most people in real life are just normal looking. The percentage of gorgeous people are of course not as high, lol!

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sadly it's a scam. A lots being exposed about it on twitter, none of it is their own creation everything they've shown is just resources available to buy online. Now as soon as it's gained traction they've opened a patreon to profit from it, it's a scam 100% don't trust it at all and definitely don't donate.

You need to fully read all the posts here and also check with the dev for his side. A lot of what you've just posted has been addressed. I'm joining the Patreon to beta-test the game and will report back the outcome.

Are you gonna elaborate on your point or just expect me to search through 16 pages for the one comment you're talking about.

You're an adult right? And can read? And have comprehension skills? Then you can do the due diligence yourself. Talk to the dev and get his side which would be better, especially if you can't read that fast through these pages. That's what other people did and are satisfied to give him a chance. I'm not going to do your work for you.

It would take you zero effort to explain your opinion but instead you resort to being nasty and patronising. Wow. People are going to have different opinions and won't always agree with you, I don't trust this game nor the developer at the current point in time. Sorry that that's so hard for you to understand and you have to resort to mocking my intelligence to get your point across.

The only person being childish here is you acting like that just because someone asked you to elaborate on your point. Making nasty little comments like that is pathetic and clearly shows your maturity level.

As has been mentioned before in several posts, it’s common for developers to buy assets from the unity store, often as a placeholder until they can afford an art designer. Apparently the dev has stated that this is how he’s working at the moment. Unfortunately he has not been transparent about it right at the beginning and this is mainly what has caused an uproar.

My point is that these assets are all we've seen. Even the images someone posted above that show more detail are still just assets. As of yet there's nothing that shows the developers own creations or how they've changed/built upon these assets to make it into a full game, if it is genuine it's definitely ambitious for a singular creator to turn a few assets into a full blown playable game within such a short timeframe. I think only time will tell and when/if the beta testing comes out we'll know if it's genuine or not.
    Post edited by Onverser on
  • Options
    Dev just posted a small video on the characters of People of the Newbery! I know some people are going to say something like oh this is uncanny valley or something, but remember, that this is a realistic life simulation game. Most people in real life are just normal looking. The percentage of gorgeous people are of course not as high, lol!

I think the characters look pretty good, but uncanny valley has nothing to do with people being gorgeous or not. A character can still be perceived as 'gorgeous' and look creepy.
  • Options

It would take you zero effort to explain your opinion but instead you resort to being nasty and patronising. Wow. People are going to have different opinions and won't always agree with you, I don't trust this game nor the developer at the current point in time. Sorry that that's so hard for you to understand and you have to resort to mocking my intelligence to get your point across.

The only person being childish here is you acting like that just because someone asked for an explanation.

Please, you just want to argue. It's clear you don't want to know his side because you're not even making the effort to do due diligence yourself.

• Options

I think the characters look pretty good, but uncanny valley has nothing to do with people being gorgeous or not. A character can still be perceived as 'gorgeous' and look creepy.

I'm just trying to keep things light.

• Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member

Neither do I. With supernatural beings it's not for me. I hope he at least makes them optional.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

Well the ‘uncanny valley’ issue usually only exists in characters that look extremely realistic. They almost appear like ordinary folks, but miss that certain element that makes us humans look ‘alive’.
    Without that element these characters look cold and artificial. The faces seems to be missing the warmth of being truly alive, and I wonder how the devs are going to work natural expressions into these faces. Most RPG characters look like that though, but it’s not as if we’re constantly going around with them doing mundane things like washing the dishes or cooking dinner and making sure their moods stay in optimal condition. These kind of realistic RPG characters live through ‘fast’ action so we as players can easily live with the uncanny valley aspect of it.

This is why simulators like The Sims or Paralives go for more stylized aesthetics, so the characters can act more theatrical and be more expressive and still feel human- like to us. As an audience we don’t get creeped out because they’re just about far enough from realism for us to accept them for what they are.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Neither do I. With supernatural beings it's not for me. I hope he at least makes them optional.

If you go to the games Discord, people have been asking about supernatural and now he's giving it more serious consideration!

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    40% of the game was done in 7 months? With just one person? And now they want to make assets from scratch, but it'll only delay the game by a few months? I changed my mind: I don't find it credible. It's totally unrealistic to have a planned release date for something that's barely finished. The game is going to be very simple, broken, or delayed. If this is an earnest attempt, the dev has seriously underestimated the effort needed to make something as complex as a simulation game. It's possible he might make the same mistakes that Molyneux did: overpromising and underdelivering.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    People of the Newbery was mentioned in an article from a website that publishes the latest news on life simulation games! It's in Portuguese (Brazilian) but I've included a translation. Click on the blue title for the actual article!

CONHEÇAM PEOPLE OF THE NEWBERY; O NOVO CONCORRENTE DO THE SIMS E PARALIVES
    (MEET PEOPLE OF THE NEWBERY; THE NEW COMPETITOR OF THE SIMS AND PARALIVES)
    People of the Newbery é um novo jogo de simulação de vida que vai concorrer diretamente com o Paralives e o The Sims e parece ser INCRÍVEL! Já prometeram mundo totalmente customizável, mais de 100 espécies de animais, modo online e muito mais.

O Dimas Vedovato do canal Dimissauro no You Tube, fez um tutorial mostrando todas as ferramentas e promessas do jogo para o primeiro semestre de 2021. Confira!!

O que nos deixa intrigado até o momento é a quantidade de promessas do jogo e se nossos PC vai rodar corretamente o jogo, se você reparar no vídeo acima o jogo parece bastante pesado e o Dimas ressalta isso algumas vezes com um tom de “preocupação” se realmente vai funcionar corretamente em nossas maquinas. Apesar de todas essas “preocupações” estamos muitos animados e felizes com essa concorrência direta para esse gênero de jogos… Acreditamos em trabalhos mais planejados, pensados… “Afinal, quem não dá assistência, abre concorrência!”

English Translation:
    People of the Newbery is a new life simulation game that will compete directly with Paralives and The Sims and looks amazing! They have already promised fully customizable world, more than 100 species of animals, online mode and more.

Dimas Vedovato from Dimissauro on You Tube, made a tutorial showing all the tools and promises of the game for the first half of 2021. Check!!

What intrigues us so far is the amount of promises of the game and if our PC will run the game properly, if you notice in the video above the game looks quite heavy and Dimas points this out sometimes with a tone of "concern" if it will actually work properly on our machines. Despite all these "concerns" we are very excited and happy with this direct competition for this genre of games... We believe in more planned works, thought... "After all, those who do not give assistance, open competition!"

Below is the video that the article mentions. It's in Portuguese though so I'm not sure what he said!

NOVO CONCORRENTE PARA O PARALIVES E THE SIMS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RAwjcCVlsQ

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

My point is that these assets are all we've seen. Even the images someone posted above that show more detail are still just assets. As of yet there's nothing that shows the developers own creations or how they've changed/built upon these assets to make it into a full game, if it is genuine it's definitely ambitious for a singular creator to turn a few assets into a full blown playable game within such a short timeframe. I think only time will tell and when/if the beta testing comes out we'll know if it's genuine or not.

Oh absolutely, I agree with that. I think it’s a very ambitious project since the only thing he has shown so far are assets that may or may not be part of the game. He has been advertising a ‘look‘ that could change drastically at some point, but at this stage it’s the only way he can get people on board to fund him. Indeed, we have to wait until a beta is released before we know it’s for real.
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited August 2020
    EA needs competition that's for sure. And since I don't play TS4 I need some good simulation games soon. Imo Paralives seem to be the only "real competitor" at the moment. I like the look of People of the Newbery, the future will tell if it's a scam or not. Not a fan of TS4 cartoony style. And if Sims5 is online I'm not interested.

Have I missed something? Why are people supposing that Paradox Tectonic is making a sims game? There's no proof of that, is there? I don't think we can expect a game like the sims we know from them. This is what Shams said in 2015 https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-paradox-life-sim-game-super-thread.844848/page-2.

That’s from 2015. At that point Paradox Interactive hadn’t even opened Paradox Tectonic. One would imagine that in the four years of people asking about a Sims game between then and 2019 (since people see City Skylines as the salvation of the city sim and have wanted a similar treatment for the life sim), they might see there is a market

Paradox has also just been doing a LOT of expansion and acquisition recently. They’ve been really open about having a strategy of deciding where they think there’s an opportunity in the market and then either finding someone already making that and buying them, or opening a new studio to make it themselves. 2015 business strategy and statements don’t really apply to their new model.

The biggest suggestion that it is a sims-like being made is this:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/paradox-tectonic-new-game-rod-humble

But also just the fact that they hired Rod Humble in the first place, and that it’s clear the new Berkeley studio has been hiring a bunch of other Sims alumni.

As to having not heard anything specific about the project and silence from the studio: I actually take that as a good sign. That’s how development works in a AAA setting. You keep things under wraps until you have something to share. They don’t have the same obligation to transparency, and in fact have an obligation to non disclosure.

I have more hope for this project than the others. I think they’re waiting until they have something real to share.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    40% of the game was done in 7 months? With just one person? And now they want to make assets from scratch, but it'll only delay the game by a few months? I changed my mind: I don't find it credible. It's totally unrealistic to have a planned release date for something that's barely finished. The game is going to be very simple, broken, or delayed. If this is an earnest attempt, the dev has seriously underestimated the effort needed to make something as complex as a simulation game. It's possible he might make the same mistakes that Molyneux did: overpromising and underdelivering.

This is exactly what I'm thinking too, I'm not sure he fully understood the complexity of what would be involved in making a life sim and what would be expected by the community for this type of game.

The dev has shown us a different game he has worked on, but that was a shooter game, that is not any where near a life sim. A life sim is all about the personalities, emotions, and individuality of the sim, it is not just about the mechanics of missions and fighting. While I don't play those type of games myself, I would just imagine the characters aren't as fully fleshed out with personalities like a sim game would be.

• Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member

If you go to the games Discord, people have been asking about supernatural and now he's giving it more serious consideration!

I saw that. I may belong to a minority who do not want them in my game.
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    I'm skipping this one. The graphics look to realistic for me taste. Sims 3 graphics where some what realistic and I'm not fond of them either. I like my cartoon style a bit much to go back to realistic now. Keep on trucking with the sims 2 until then I suppose.
  • Options

I saw that. I may belong to a minority who do not want them in my game.

Maybe there will be a toggle? But how will he know this unless you tell him that if supernaturals are in the game that there needs to be a toggle as not everyone is on board with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top