Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ANOTHER Competitor to The Sims 5?!?? People of the Newbery

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited August 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Well I doubt there'll be any more videos since apparently he issues a strike against one that wasn't very receptive and it was removed from YouTube. 3 strikes and your channel is permanently removed.

As for why so many of course we're all interested in news of any new developing life simulations.

Which video got a strike? Even if someone asks for a video to be striked, it doesn't mean YouTube will just automatically strike it. Did it talk about the game being a scam even when there's no proof of it? They would have to provide concrete proof that it is.

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I can't share things properly as I'm on my phone, but for anyone still defending the dev check this out. They blatantly ripped off a Sims creator, stole their entire art style, copied their sim and literally copied their caption word for word.
  • Options
    Onverser wrote: »
    I can't share things properly as I'm on my phone, but for anyone still defending the dev check this out. They blatantly ripped off a Sims creator, stole their entire art style, copied their sim and literally copied their caption word for word.

That is alarming! But also, why are you directly posting it to the Paralives devs? Are they interested in this game as well? They are too different to be in competition with each other. I'm definitely buying Paralives for what it is, but also this game if it is legit.

• Options

That is alarming! But also, why are you directly posting it to the Paralives devs? Are they interested in this game as well? They are too different to be in competition with each other. I'm definitely buying Paralives for what it is, but also this game if it is legit.

I was tagging pixelade under one of his posts the rest just got tagged automatically as they were mentioned in the original post
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I was tagging pixelade under one of his posts the rest just got tagged automatically as they were mentioned in the original post

I notified the dev for People of the Newbery not to do that. I think he wants very badly to prove he has something to show, but I told him that even though I'm pretty sure The Sims 5 is in the works, they haven't posted anything at all about it and it's been several years. Just make the game and then present it then, even if it takes a while.

He also said that people asked him to start a Patreon for the game to help fund it (*shrug*) and I said that he can close it, because gamers are more critical of Patreon-funded games. So we'll see....

• Options
    The dev sent me this:

Screenshot_20200822-071518.png

It was made by someone else. I think he needs to be more clear about that.

• Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I think what @kemowery is saying is Paralives hasn’t shown gameplay but it HAS shown original content being produced. TPON hasn’t shown gameplay and it HASN’T shown original content. Which is what makes them question the legitimacy.
    When you compare the two, you can see “Oh! Paralives might actually be legitimate because other things are being completed.” But if TPON isn’t showing original content or gameplay, it makes one wonder WHAT is being worked on as nothing has been shown to prove something is being worked on.

Exactly. I'm barely interested in Paralives because at this point all we've seen is a walled garden tech demo for some build mode and character creation. It's neat, don't get me wrong, and it really makes me wish that kind of functionality was in The Sims, but we don't actually know how that stuff will work in play, or what play will be like. It might be terrible, but it seems like it's definitely a thing that exists.

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    The dev sent me this:

I don't see your image. That's how all of my images too for some reason.
  • Options
    The dev sent me this:

I don't see your image. That's how all of my images too for some reason.

He just showed that the image was made by someone else. Are you looking at the forum through your mobile phone? I read the forum on my tablet, but I set it to desktop view.

• Options
    kemowery wrote: »
    I think what @kemowery is saying is Paralives hasn’t shown gameplay but it HAS shown original content being produced. TPON hasn’t shown gameplay and it HASN’T shown original content. Which is what makes them question the legitimacy.
    When you compare the two, you can see “Oh! Paralives might actually be legitimate because other things are being completed.” But if TPON isn’t showing original content or gameplay, it makes one wonder WHAT is being worked on as nothing has been shown to prove something is being worked on.

Exactly. I'm barely interested in Paralives because at this point all we've seen is a walled garden tech demo for some build mode and character creation. It's neat, don't get me wrong, and it really makes me wish that kind of functionality was in The Sims, but we don't actually know how that stuff will work in play, or what play will be like. It might be terrible, but it seems like it's definitely a thing that exists.

All this is a waiting game. We're waiting for

• The Sims 5 which hasn't even been officially announced.
    • Paradox Tectonic's game which doesn't even have a name and we're not even entirely sure if it will even BE a life simulation game
    • Paralives which only posts demos of features, no beta-testing yet
    • People of the Newbery which doesn't have much right now since it's only been a few months and everybody else has been at least 2 years ahead

So we just have to let them make their games and encourage them to make them the very best they can be. If you don't want to support them through crowdfunding, that is fine.

I decided to Patreon-fund People of the Newbery like @Chicklet453681, because I want to be able to see it for myself sooner and beta-test it. She makes sense that if this isn't real, then we'd only be out a small amount of money. But if it is, then it's great to be able give input on it.

Plus I really want to play a different life simulation game and not have to wait for the others! So I want to play/beta-test this game and The Little Sims World that will be released completed, both in 2021.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

To me it’s curious that a person can remake a sim -which is originally created by someone else in another game -and advertise it as a character for their upcoming game. Even if the original creator is aware of it, I don’t really get it.

At this point I’m wondering how much of his own imagination he is using at all. The personality and trait system is one of the first game elements he would have had to sketch out during the initial design, 7 or 8 months ago. If it’s a life simulator that is.

Instead, he’s advertising these traits exactly the way they are being advertised for the sims 4. Would he not have thought of at least naming the traits differently? Can a character in Newbery only have 3 traits as well? Exactly like in the sims 4 ? Isn’t this what a lot of TS4 simmers have problems with? The limited trait options? Did he ask himself those questions?

As a game designer who claims to play/ have played the sims this is a very important choice to make. Did he think this through at all?
    I don’t believe so. Everything so far has been copied/pasted so he can show off his ambition, since there’s nothing else to show off.

This game should already be complete in his head. Even if it’s genuine, going by the way he promotes it, with no unique identity at all, it has become obvious to me that it’s not even ready to move beyond concept stage.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

And with that I'm a lot less interested in this. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, he even copied the sims name? and blue/pink colour design scheme of the shot? am I reading that right? Or am I confused?
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2020
    Right now they are saying the game wil be released end of 2021 so it's changed again? i wonder what's changed that they can suddenly complete it faster again? This was 3 hours ago. I don't like to accuse people of anything and maybe just overly eager but this is getting a bit fishy. He may be in over his head.

Also random note, but I just now noticed it's "Newbery" instead of "Newberry" haha! Oops!

The did say though they wil release a new video in a couple days with game play which is apparently 100% ready? Hopefully we can see some new non-copyright/bought content
  • Options
    Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Well I doubt there'll be any more videos since apparently he issues a strike against one that wasn't very receptive and it was removed from YouTube. 3 strikes and your channel is permanently removed.

As for why so many of course we're all interested in news of any new developing life simulations.

I think there is now so many life sims now because everyone who played sims (2000) is now around 30-40 and now want to create their own game
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Right now they are saying the game wil be released end of 2021 so it's changed again? i wonder what's changed that they can suddenly complete it faster again? This was 3 hours ago. I don't like to accuse people of anything and maybe just overly eager but this is getting a bit fishy. He may be in over his head.

Also random note, but I just now noticed it's "Newbery" instead of "Newberry" haha! Oops!

The did say though they wil release a new video in a couple days with game play which is apparently 100% ready? Hopefully we can see some new non-copyright/bought content

This is off topic kind of, but Donna Karan, a fashion designer I absolutely love, is notorious for changing the release dates of her fashion lines, so I'm used to this, lol!

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
  • Options

And with that I'm a lot less interested in this. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, he even copied the sims name? and blue/pink colour design scheme of the shot? am I reading that right? Or am I confused?

Yeah, as someone who's been a creator on social media it especially bothers me because coming up with an individual art style isn't easy and someone blatantly copying someones entire design aesthetic and work word for word for their own benefit is plain disrespectful. Especially when they're profiting from the design and using it as an example of their creation. I tried to contact the original creator to see if they were aware of it but haven't heard back yet, I've seen no mention of the game on their page so from they seems of it they weren't even contacted about it. No mention of the original creator on their twitter post but they edited the caption on the instagram post to mention them after I called them out on it. If you're gonna copy someone atleast change a few details so it's not so blindingly obvious :#

Plus with the traits, big alarm bells. They didn't even bother to change them to their own variation of traits, surely if they were as far into development as they say they are they would've come up with their own trait names for their game.

Very dodgy to me. If you were making an entire game surely you'd be capable of making one sim without ripping off someone else
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Someone else on Twitter tagged me saying the CAS they showed is actually from a game called "My Island" on steam and... oh look.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1004270/My_Island/

My Island:
    ss_5d6567b1907d923b75b45cdf6e0d0558301e7bd5.600x338.jpg?t=1592486550

People of the Newbery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLP2_0aFjs
    If you go to 0:13 you can see the exact same interface and sliders.

And look what else I found: the animals!

My Island:
    ss_34e930363a3285da24408833e093403a27710ca9.600x338.jpg?t=1592486550

People of the Newbery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DKezwq25U

My Island:
    ss_06b172f2fd06091f1c546d2edc1bc105fcccdb34.600x338.jpg?t=1592486550

People of the Newbery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rS6DxCiZ68&t=2s

That's literally the same sim.

Sorry to OP, but you've been scammed.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Thanks for sharing @Onverser I have no more doubts left.
    And he constantly changes dates and contracts himself. First it was releasing in 2021 then 2022 now he just said 2021 again in a reply to someone on Twitter.

He said no LGBT in the beginning. People were asking why so he said yes it will now have LGBT.
    For gameplay that's 100% done and you have a specific goal and intentions in mind I don't think it's that easy to suddently stop and change things.

I don't judge too hard because his English is not too good so I understand he may sometimes not get the point across correctly but his replies seem weird to me. Whatever people ask for he says yes. Apparently nothing is impossible for this dude 😂😂😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited August 2020
    (They deleted the tweet)
    Very, very, very unprofessional. And just like that, I lost all my interest in the game (which I still think is definitely a hoax).
    Post edited by caliposs on
    he/him
  • Options
    Im about to give up on POTN, its exhausting. Everytime he seems to gain our trust something new pops up. I didnt have a problem with the asset buying etc. but that rip off Sim style just seems sketchy. It looks like he is unlucky and keeps getting into unfortunate situations.

Yeah. The best thing to do is just focus on other stuff. If the game gets finished, great! If not, at least you didn't stress over it.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Someone else on Twitter tagged me saying the CAS they showed is actually from a game called "My Island" on steam and... oh look.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1004270/My_Island/

My Island:
    ss_5d6567b1907d923b75b45cdf6e0d0558301e7bd5.600x338.jpg?t=1592486550

People of the Newbery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLP2_0aFjs
    If you go to 0:13 you can see the exact same interface and sliders.

And look what else I found: the animals!

My Island:
    ss_34e930363a3285da24408833e093403a27710ca9.600x338.jpg?t=1592486550

People of the Newbery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DKezwq25U

My Island:
    ss_06b172f2fd06091f1c546d2edc1bc105fcccdb34.600x338.jpg?t=1592486550

People of the Newbery:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rS6DxCiZ68&t=2s

That's literally the same sim.

Sorry to OP, but you've been scammed.

He already said he bought those assets at the Unreal store, so no surprise you'd see them again, lol!

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    The problem is not the assets the problem is that he's showing nothing BUT the assets. With 0 gameplay despite having it 100% done (in his own words)
    7 months,one man, 140 animals,10 lifestates, single player and online and much more, phew that's a mouth full.
    Atleast show us the 10 lifestates and the variations between them. 😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    edited August 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top