Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ANOTHER Competitor to The Sims 5?!?? People of the Newbery

Comments

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Chimp2678 wrote: »
    Interesting. At first, I was really excited about this because that is the kind of game I am wanting to play, but right now. I am on a fence and am not sure about it until it is 100% confirmed that it is not a scam/hoax. This game will be released somehow around in Q3 2021: July 1 - September 30, but it states above that beta will be released this Dec for Patreon, which is 4 months away. I don't have any problems with using assets from the website for the game, but how can characters from that website be able to make babies, inherit their genes, traits, gradual aging, etc. The engine is not similar to Sims 1 to 4. I am not an expert on that. I am curious about how this works somehow.

The dev didn't seem familiar with story progression though, so we'll see what he will implement exactly. We're so use to the way The Sims does things, but maybe there are other ways of doing town dynamics.

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sadly it's a scam. A lots being exposed about it on twitter, none of it is their own creation everything they've shown is just resources available to buy online. Now as soon as it's gained traction they've opened a patreon to profit from it, it's a scam 100% don't trust it at all and definitely don't donate.
  • Options
    Onverser wrote: »
    Sadly it's a scam. A lots being exposed about it on twitter, none of it is their own creation everything they've shown is just resources available to buy online. Now as soon as it's gained traction they've opened a patreon to profit from it, it's a scam 100% don't trust it at all and definitely don't donate.

You need to fully read all the posts here and also check with the dev for his side. A lot of what you've just posted has been addressed. I'm joining the Patreon to beta-test the game and will report back the outcome.

• Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Looks intetesting. Competition is always good
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don't think it's scam, what I do think is that this young 22 year old wants to make a life sim game, but not the life sim game everybody is demanding. Everybody wants it to be THE SIMS in realistic form, with CAS, and Build/Buy, elevated floors, terrain tools, story progression, rotaional play, all life states, occult, traits, memories, and on and on.

I'm not sure that was his vision, I personally think he's used to RPGs, create a storyline, your character goes here and talks to this person, has certain choices of conversation and depending on the choice made is what will transpire in the game, do this task, etc. etc.

I don't think that it is within his knowledge or resources to pull off the next THE SIMS, at all.

Do I think he could make a game that we could create and control people to go along with his storyline? Absolutely, people do it all the time.

But, it's not going to be a replacement for the sims, I think it will be a good game once it's released.

People are putting so much pressure on him.

I seriously think the teaser videos was to gauge any interest in it. I don't think he fully realized just how much interest he would gain in a day.

Nobody is saying anything about Paralives has yet to show any actual gameplay ... 1-2 minute video teasers. We;ve seen Sebastian hop off a counter and we've seen that you can add body hair, we've seen no other hair styles or clothing for him. We've seen Maggie and the color wheel and the push/pull of body parts. We've seen Maggie's bedroom, we've seen the loft with the sunlight and moving trees and lanterns, we seen the sun/sky change. We've seen objects being able to be pushed, pulled, stretched, and stacked (which is not a new thing, you've been able to do that in Second Life for years and years) but it's a new thing that's different than how the sims is.

But, all of these things are being done in that game engine, that's not gameplay. We have not seen actual gameplay yet.

But everybody is ok with that for some reason, and yet it's been announced for over year, and still no game play, teaser videos of what they're working on.

So we have another indie dev who just wants to make a game, and people are going nuts, calling him out saying it's a scam.

It's only a scam if you're paying for it and he doesn't provide a service He didn't even have any supporters on his Patreon when I joined, I was the first one, for a measly $1.

The dude is NOT begging for money, he doesn't encourage people to join is Patreon as if that's his only goal. On his discord channel he answers questions, sometimes he shows a pic of something he's working on.

He showed us another game helped work on.

I wish people would do their own research and make informed decisions before just immediately jumping on the twitter/social media hate band wagon.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't think it's scam, what I do think is that this young 22 year old wants to make a life sim game, but not the life sim game everybody is demanding. Everybody wants it to be THE SIMS in realistic form, with CAS, and Build/Buy, elevated floors, terrain tools, story progression, rotaional play, all life states, occult, traits, memories, and on and on.

I'm not sure that was his vision, I personally think he's used to RPGs, create a storyline, your character goes here and talks to this person, has certain choices of conversation and depending on the choice made is what will transpire in the game, do this task, etc. etc.

I don't think that it is within his knowledge or resources to pull off the next THE SIMS, at all.

@Chicklet453681 I don't think it is either, but he said himself that what he is looking to create with this is "A game like the Sims but with realistic graphics". So I can understand why people have gotten that impression. Especially if they don't realise he's young and working on his own and just reading the game descriptions.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

@Chicklet453681 I don't think it is either, but he said himself that what he is looking to create with this is "A game like the Sims but with realistic graphics". So I can understand why people have gotten that impression. Especially if they don't realise he's young and working on his own and just reading the game descriptions.

It's sad I feel bad for him.He just wanted to make a game.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

I think his best bet, with all this publicity, would to just be super open and honest about what the game will and won't have upfront. If people's expectations are too high they'll be upset when it's released. But if they expect a smaller game then it won't be a disappointment. And if he doesn't know the answers yet, just say it. "I don't know if I can do that. I'll try, but don't get your hopes up yet." goes a long way.
  • Options
    I totally agree, but I think he's overwhelmed quite honestly. Everybody is just firing questions and demands at him.

But I do think he should be very upfront with what the game will be about, his thoughts on gameplay, etc. But then you're still going to have complain because why can't this be in it, will we get this or that, are gonna have ....

I would have washed my hands of the whole social media circus, closed everything off to a few select people, get their input and thoughts, ideas, and release the game by invitation only.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    He is very young and .. for the life of me I can't see someone buying this engine and working on a passion project just doing it to scam us all. I think it won't be the replacement game many are wanting to see, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good game in it's own right. Heck or at least amusing enough to pass the time with. I have to admit I feel bad for him with all of the reaction he has gotten. I doubt he was expecting it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

Iam

@Chicklet453681 I don't think it is either, but he said himself that what he is looking to create with this is "A game like the Sims but with realistic graphics". So I can understand why people have gotten that impression. Especially if they don't want to be the most effective way to get a better 👍 and a pair of ∆realise he's young and working on his own and just reading the game descriptions.

I think his best bet, with all this publicity, would to just be super open and honest about what the game will and won't have upfront. If people's expectations are too high they'll be upset when it's released. But if they expect a smaller game then it won't be a disappointment. And if he doesn't know the answers yet, just say it. "I don't know if I can do that. I'll try, but don't get your hopes up yet." goes a long way.

That's seems to be the best thing.
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    He is very young and .. for the life of me I can't see someone buying this engine and working on a passion project just doing it to scam us all. I think it won't be the replacement game many are wanting to see, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good game in it's own right. Heck or at least amusing enough to pass the time with. I have to admit I feel bad for him with all of the reaction he has gotten. I doubt he was expecting it.

I'm excited that he's working on this early in his career. The game will be rough around the edges, but it already has different and fresh ideas. I love that he's already adding pets to his basegame and is also working on weather too! So if he continues this game into a series and maintains his passion for the life sim genre, his series will only get better and continue to innovate the life simulation genre as a whole!

This is why we have to encourage everyone in this genre to keep going and to do their best! From 20 year veteran Maxis to our youngest developer of People of the Newbery.

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

I'm excited that he's working on this early in his career. The game will be rough around the edges, but it already has different and fresh ideas. I love that he's already adding pets to his basegame and is also working on weather too! So if he continues this game into a series and maintains his passion for the life sim genre, his series will only get better and continue to innovate the life simulation genre as a whole!

This is why we have to encourage everyone in this genre to keep going and to do their best! From 20 year veteran Maxis to our youngest developer of People of the Newbery.

Maybe the intention behind it is legitimate, but the developer's inexperience made him reveal things too early and overpromise on the release dates. The Paralives team is around halfway in the pre-alpha stage, and even they don't know when they can release it yet. If there's nothing yet but there's a plan for a Q3 2021 release, I think that might be overly ambitious
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

Maybe the intention behind it is legitimate, but the developer's inexperience made him reveal things too early and overpromise on the release dates. The Paralives team is around halfway in the pre-alpha stage, and even they don't know when they can release it yet. If there's nothing yet but there's a plan for a Q3 2021 release, I think that might be overly ambitious

Yeah, I already made allowance for that in my expectations. We just need to encourage him and be patient, and also guide him so he can learn and be familiar with the intricacies of game development.

• Options

Yeah, I already made allowance for that in my expectations. We just need to encourage him and be patient, and also guide him so he can learn and be familiar with the intricacies of game development.

Well, there goes my dream of having something to play in 2021. :sweat_smile: Back to waiting for Paralives patiently then
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Anybody interested should really take some time to watch some beginner unreal game engine tutorials, I just watched 2, and they were pretty easy to follow. That way you can see what it takes to make games. It's interesting because a lot of scripting is already built into a node system.
  • Options

Well, there goes my dream of having something to play in 2021. :sweat_smile: Back to waiting for Paralives patiently then

There's Little Sims. It's got cute 2d graphics though but will come out next year.

• Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member

I mean, we still don’t know when Paradox Tectonic’s game will be out. If my interpretation of Paradox Interactive’s coy dodges during their Quarterly report are correct (which, probably not. It’s really easy to misread when you’re reading between the lines), it sounds like they had plans for that game to be announced much sooner than it will be because of Covid. But it still doesn’t rule it out entirely for next year, depending on how much notice they intend to give before launch.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think people heard “a game like The Sims” and went bananas injecting their own meaning into what “like The Sims” means. That doesn’t automatically mean story progression or every last occult. It doesn’t mean “exactly like The Sims.” It’s a one-man show, he’s probably not a professional marketing wordsmith, so “like The Sims” probably just means a life simulator. It’s a dude trying to make a game, he didn’t say he’s trying to make an absolute showstopper, I don’t know why everyone is piling on with negativity, but who knows at this point.

There’s so many other and new ways to make a game than just how TS does it. Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with!

Edit: the dev also doesn’t appear to be a native English speaker so I don’t know why people are piling onto his “vague” or “confusing” answers to questions. Dude’s probably trying his best 🤷🏽‍♀️
    Post edited by popstarsley on
  • Options
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

I mean, we still don’t know when Paradox Tectonic’s game will be out. If my interpretation of Paradox Interactive’s coy dodges during their Quarterly report are correct (which, probably not. It’s really easy to misread when you’re reading between the lines), it sounds like they had plans for that game to be announced much sooner than it will be because of Covid. But it still doesn’t rule it out entirely for next year, depending on how much notice they intend to give before launch.

Paradox Tectonic established themselves early 2019, which excited me at first. Then it was 1.5 years of nothing. Just this one measly interview with Rod Humble filled with non-answers. I won't hold my breath for now

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020

You need to fully read all the posts here and also check with the dev for his side. A lot of what you've just posted has been addressed. I'm joining the Patreon to beta-test the game and will report back the outcome.

Are you gonna elaborate on your point or just expect me to search through 16 pages for the one comment you're talking about? Because all I see is people theorising that it might be genuine because they want it to be and no hard evidence. Not to be rude but looking at your other responses it seems like you're letting your desire for a superior life simulation game cloud your judgement.

I don't trust it, sorry. Everything about it is suss. The fact that all they've shared about this "game" is a few films of assets which can be found online and now they've already opened a Patreon to profit from it before they even make a website is big alarm bells for me. There's too many dodgy things going on for me to put any faith in this game.

I'll believe it if evidence comes out of it being an actual game, I'm definitely not gonna believe it because of the devs comments because talk is cheap. If I was a scam developer I'd make it sound as realistic as possible aswell to get people to send their money.
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    EA needs competition that's for sure. And since I don't play TS4 I need some good simulation games soon. Imo Paralives seem to be the only "real competitor" at the moment. I like the look of People of the Newbery, the future will tell if it's a scam or not. Not a fan of TS4 cartoony style. And if Sims5 is online I'm not interested.

Have I missed something? Why are people supposing that Paradox Tectonic is making a sims game? There's no proof of that, is there? I don't think we can expect a game like the sims we know from them. This is what Shams said in 2015 https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-paradox-life-sim-game-super-thread.844848/page-2.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    EA needs competition that's for sure. And since I don't play TS4 I need some good simulation games soon. Imo Paralives seem to be the only "real competitor" at the moment. I like the look of People of the Newbery, the future will tell if it's a scam or not. Not a fan of TS4 cartoony style. And if Sims5 is online I'm not interested.

Have I missed something? Why are people supposing that Paradox Tectonic is making a sims game? There's no proof of that, is there? I don't think we can expect a game like the sims we know from them. This is what Shams said in 2015 https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-paradox-life-sim-game-super-thread.844848/page-2.

Probably because of this interview.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/paradox-tectonic-new-game-rod-humble
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member

Are you gonna elaborate on your point or just expect me to search through 16 pages for the one comment you're talking about? Because all I see is people theorising that it might be genuine because they want it to be and no hard evidence. Not to be rude but looking at your other responses it seems like you're letting your desire for a superior life simulation game cloud your judgement.

I don't trust it, sorry. Everything about it is suss. The fact that all they've shared about this "game" is a few films of assets which can be found online and now they've already opened a Patreon to profit from it before they even make a website is big alarm bells for me. There's too many dodgy things going on for me to put any faith in this game.

I'll believe it if evidence comes out of it being an actual game, I'm definitely not gonna believe it because of the devs comments because talk is cheap. If I was a scam developer I'd make it sound as realistic as possible aswell to get people to send their money.

There’s no hard evidence for it to be a scam nor is there enough evidence for it to be the opposite.
    As has been mentioned before in several posts, it’s common for developers to buy assets from the unity store, often as a placeholder until they can afford an art designer. Apparently the dev has stated that this is how he’s working at the moment. Unfortunately he has not been transparent about it right at the beginning and this is mainly what has caused an uproar.

Based on his statement, we actually don’t know what the game is going to look like when it’s finished, all we know is that it will be a realistic ‘simulator’.
    When (and if) this game becomes a reality, I believe it will be limited in gameplay and most likely based on little story quests within the town of Newbery. Not like the sims at all.

If in December there is no bètatest available for those who are supporting him there’s a greater chance that this is a scam.
    At the moment we can’t be 100% sure. But we should be 100% cautious.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top