Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 in Development - Exciting Clues!

Comments

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy

Maybe you misinterpret my words as offensive because I am using the translator. But I told you with the best of intentions, you should not get excited about something that is not close, it is not even confirmed, it is just a rumor. We've heard a lot of rumors over the years about the Sims 5. It seems to me that they should focus on fixing this current game, giving it the content it lacks, and if possible (I've read that it's possible) opening up neighborhoods to convert it. . . In a semi-open world, The Sims 5 will be here later (minimum 3 years) for now I enjoy this game. And if you don't like the Sims 4 and I'm following your own advice, play The Sims 3. And wait! As SimGuruGrant already said "Has Confirmed That They Will Be Releasing Content For The Sims 4 For Many More Years!" and I look forward to it and I enjoy it.

https://sims-online.com/the-sims-4-simgurugrant-has-confirmed-that-they-will-be-releasing-content-for-the-sims-4-dor-many-more-years/

And I quote
    "Is there a The Sims 5 on the horizon? Rodiek says:“ We have so much content for The Sims 4 ... If we saw audience numbers drop and people getting bored, yes, we would be thinking about what's next. But The Sims 4 is doing so well, there are so many players and we have such demand from fans to fix things, add content, from body hair to public restrooms, to baby changes to new hairstyles. There is so much to do and so many people still playing that it would be foolish of us not to continue working on The Sims 4. We have a captive audience, we want to continue supporting them. "

Thank you for sharing this quote 😁
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Genkider wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    Hope they somewhat develop features that allow us to transfer or import sims from previous game, or just read sims facial features so the game will try to remake the sims on its own as best as the AI could. I'm bad at making sims(I used to be really good at creating real life celeb to sim) and would love to have my favorite sims in sims 3 and sims 4 exist in Sims 5 as well.

Would largely depend on the art style too! All the sims from the games look different.

Bella_Goth's_Original_Appearances.png

But depending on the range of tools they give us in CAS it may be possible to make a close recreation.

Goodness, Sims 3 Bella looks like a hideous potato. If Sims 5 is a thing I hope they stay far away from that artstyle.

Yes she is as ugy as sin 😂😂 we must stay away from this look!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If you hype up, you are going to ruin your expectations.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I've learned what it was like back in 2013. My daughter & I were so excited for Sims 4 thinking that it would be better than
    Sims 3. We never played 1 & 2 so this was a new hype for us. Unfortunately, 2014 was No Toddlers, No Basements, No Transportations, basically no nothing. It's best to wait until the new game is at least four years old & do a comparision to previous Sims games to see if it still a great game.
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »
    If you hype up, you are going to ruin your expectations.

I can at least say for me, Sims 4 has completely oblierated any expectations for my kind of gameplay so anything new will be a welcome change 😂 especially when the emotion system will be a thing of the past. Why with these ominous messages? Maybe yourre roleplaying as those anonymous callers from TS1?

tumblr_ouqtdaFaEf1s7rf3bo1_1280.png

If we want to be hopeful for Sims 5 let us be. If youre not thats fine too but we should all be able to discuss what we'd like to see or any updates of whats to come.

• Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I've learned what it was like back in 2013. My daughter & I were so excited for Sims 4 thinking that it would be better than
    Sims 3. We never played 1 & 2 so this was a new hype for us. Unfortunately, 2014 was No Toddlers, No Basements, No Transportations, basically no nothing. It's best to wait until the new game is at least four years old & do a comparision to previous Sims games to see if it still a great game.

I had a similar experience. I played Sims 1 and 2. Later I played TS4 and it was a major.letdown. I kept playing it for a while but then downloaded TS3 and wow was it great! How couldve have come to to this? So 3 out of the 4 games were pretty spectacular, I hope Sims 5 can hold itself up or we will just continue to play the other games.

• Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I'm hoping they'll continue to improve Sims 4, but I am also excited about the potential of Sims 5. I've always gotten excited about new versions of the game, but I'll admit that I haven't loved any version as much as Sims 1 and 2. One of my biggest disappointments in life is how quickly Sims 2 ended. I felt like there was still a lot of life left in that game, but I digress.

My concerns about Sims 5 are largely related to the rumors that it will be online. First of all, I don't have reliable internet right now. Second, I don't want to play with other people. Especially other people I don't really know. Finally, I am concerned about bullying being an issue. Sims is a life simulation, sandbox, doll house, whatever you want to call it. I don't want other people coming in and destroying the "sandcastle" I just built or screwing up my story telling. I also don't want people to be able to run around in the game and pick fights just because they enjoy being mean to people on the internet. You know it will happen. Have you looked at the forums, Twitter, and Facebook lately? No thanks. I skipped a large portion of Sims 3 because I hated it, and I wasn't excited about Sims 4 after they released more information about it. I waited 6 years to start playing it, and I have no qualms about skipping an online or multiplayer version of Sims 5. Right now, I mostly build in Sims 4 because the family game play (especially for kids and teens) is still severely lacking. It's truly upsetting because it is the most visually stunning of all the games, but I have always been a family focused player. Sims 5 needs to have the different age groups better developed from start to finish.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    For me, the big question is whether they'll keep all the Build mode improvements from TS4. Draggable rooms and foldable stairs will be a necessity going forward - I just can't imagine manually deleting and placing a wall when I want to enlarge a room by one tile.
    The second big question is how would they go around traits and emotions (if they give them another try). I don't think the emotion system is bad for short-term behavior, the issue is that they focused on them so much that they made traits almost irrelevant (and traits have little purpose with their main effect being a buff on a timer). I think if they combined the long-term effect of TS3 traits with the short-term effects of TS4 moods, it could work.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    wormofthebookwormofthebook Posts: 176 Member
    How do y’all feel about the rumored subscription model that seems more likely with this new job posting?
    https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/163848/game-designer

Personally, I hope that it only extends to the online features if they chose to go that route as there are periods where I don’t actively play the game. I’m also not a fan of subscription based services in general.
    ldauop39735.png
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2021
    How do y’all feel about the rumored subscription model that seems more likely with this new job posting?
    https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/163848/game-designer

Personally, I hope that it only extends to the online features if they chose to go that route as there are periods where I don’t actively play the game. I’m also not a fan of subscription based services in general.

Me neither. This could be the death of The Sims franchise. The game should just have the Gallery and nothing more than that for online features.

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited January 2021
    It's gonna be Sim City 2013 vs. Cities: Skylines all over again. Players didn't want online features, we got stuck with them. It is why TS4 is such a mess now. Cities: Skylines was so much better, and spelled doom for the SimCity franchise. I feel with all the competitors coming close to alpha/beta builds that are playable; it's going to get really interesting once these games and TS5 are out.

TS4 is missing so much, and there's so many features that can be added. But, we don't need extensive online features. What's the point of multiplayer for a game like this? It ain't Second Life, and I don't want it to be.
  • Options
    The mention of "subscription" doesn't prove anything about potential TS5 game being subscription-based. It may relate to how much of its content (regarding packs) may be available via existing subscriptions (EA play or how's that called - which already allows playing TS4 as part of the subscription) or, possibly, streamed via Cloud Gaming services.

On the other hand, I understand the concerns, and share a fair amount of them. I know I wouldn't play TS5 if it was subscription-based, and I'm not interested in online play either (but I don't mind the online gallery and I wouldn't mind some form of online in-game chat, as long as it would be optional).
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    EA butchered Dead Space with microtransactions. They forced online DRM and features into SimCity 2013. They will no doubt butcher The Sims. After all there's only further downhill after The Sims 4. Originally The Sims Online 2.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't think it's anything worth getting excited for yet. I'm no expert on development but they're only just hiring people to design the sims and the UI, that's surely a pretty early stage of development? You can't create any animations for sims when you don't have the model to animate, you can't create code for sims that don't exist yet, and I'm guessing the world design is also dependent on the sim design as they have to be cohesive so that also probably can't be started until the sims are created.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I don't think it's anything worth getting excited for yet. I'm no expert on development but they're only just hiring people to design the sims and the UI, that's surely a pretty early stage of development? You can't create any animations for sims when you don't have the model to animate, you can't create code for sims that don't exist yet, and I'm guessing the world design is also dependent on the sim design as they have to be cohesive so that also probably can't be started until the sims are created.

Agree, if they're at this stage (or slightly beyond it since the first post was mid last year) I highly doubt we'd see anything before next year, and maybe even 2023. Heck, if they're playing the long game...which considering the Sims 4 has been a thing for six and a half years, it may not even be 2024.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    I think it'll be 2025 at the earliest - and that's keeping in mind that nothing horrible throws off development.

And THAT is keeping in mind if it's even a genuine Sims 5, and not some kind of spin-off or mobile game, or it doesn't get cancelled for whatever reason.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    I think it'll be 2025 at the earliest - and that's keeping in mind that nothing horrible throws off development.

And THAT is keeping in mind if it's even a genuine Sims 5, and not some kind of spin-off or mobile game, or it doesn't get cancelled for whatever reason.

Mobile game probably wouldn't have a test run in Unreal Engine. Considering the age of TS4, it's quite the right time to start working on TS5, because getting the game ready will take a few more years. TS4 can well be a 10-years-old game by that point.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@Loanet I don't really think 2025 the earliest cause the game has been in development for some time and so far they have never spent more than 5 years developing a sims game. It could be with this one but I'm pretty sure in 1-2 years we'll get at least some confirmation.

Though I will agree, could be that COVID delays the game even more.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

@Loanet I don't really think 2025 the earliest cause the game has been in development for some time and so far they have never spent more than 5 years developing a sims game. It could be with this one but I'm pretty sure in 1-2 years we'll get at least some confirmation.

Though I will agree, could be that COVID delays the game even more.

There is a job posting from yesterday for a UI Designer that stated that job would be bare minimum of 2 years working on the UI aspect and then after that may become a hybrid for UI/UX aspects. So I'm assuming there's at least 2 more years of development.
  • Options
    They're only just putting out the job now, so that's two years for the character creator - if everything goes smoothly, everybody gets along, they come up with good ideas really fast and nobody dies and the game doesn't get held back or even cancelled - then there's the actual GAME to make.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I still don't think that means they just started now. They had enough staff in the past do develop early ideas for CAS and UI, I guess it's now that they need more support and need to hire more people. If they hadn't done any work and didn't have any fountation on the game they wouldn't need people for "rapid development" as they called it in the listings.
    Like every sims game, i feel like with this one aswell, the development started much earlier on behind the scenes. Unless they plan do develop this one for a longer period of time than the last ones I don't think it will take whole 5 years.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Well I think it's been in pre-production for awhile now, if the job posting from 2018 is anything to go by:

Character Modeler- Maxis
    Notice
    This position is no longer open.
    Requisition Number:151939
    Date Opened:2018-08-07

Character Modeler– Maxis

Maxis is looking for an Character Modeler for an exciting new game in the best-selling Sims franchise. Do you have excellent modeling and texturing abilities for games? Do you have a passion for creating real-world fashion in a 3D game? Are you able to take direction but work independently when needed to make the best games you possibly can?

If so, then we may have a job for you. We’re a small team now and are growing rapidly. Apply today and join us!

Responsibilities

Create, model, UV, and texture fashion assets such as t-shirts, jeans, jackets, shoes, etc. in a realistic style to a high level of aesthetic quality.
    Participate in meetings with producers, designers, engineers and animators to understand the functional requirements and constraints of characters and how they need to be created.
    Participate in reviews with the Art Director to improve aesthetic consistency and overall look.
    Should be knowledgeable and comfortable in the creation and use of normal maps, specular maps, and generating AO maps.
    Trouble shoot and problem solve assets that are not functioning properly in game. Coordinate with animators and engineers to resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
    Provide project management team with accurate estimates for scheduling work and deadlines
    Be able to come up with concepts and provide basic concept art for some fashion in conjunction with the Art Director.

Requirements

Excellent modeling and texturing skills on clothing assets
    3+ years modeling experience using Maya for game development
    Strong technical abilities and understanding of game development pipeline issues including a clear understanding of how art creation affects engine performance
    Be able to follow art direction and work from concept art when available
    Creative thinker and problem solver that can work independently if necessary
    Excellent communication skills and an ability to work effectively with producers, designers, engineers as well as other artists.
    Well organized and able to commit to and meet deadlines.
    PC Game development experience required
    Understanding of fashion & clothing construction is a plus
    Understanding of basic animation and how animators work is a plus.
    Understanding and familiarity with rigging in Maya preferred
    A portfolio demonstrating the following is required:
    Excellent 3D models in Maya
    Excellent Texturing and UV skills
    Ability to create low-mid poly models consistently
    Traditional drawing and painting skills
    Strong aesthetic sensitivity to lighting for form and shadow
    Excellent sense of scale and composition in 3D

https://ea.gr8people.com/?method=cappportal.showJob&opportunityID=151939&sysLayoutID=122

I'm still leary about the online aspect of it and possible subscription. But, I am definitely still excited and interested in it, especially the one statement about creating game assets in a "realistic style". I'm really done with the cartoon/pixar look of TS4 and ready for a change.
  • Options
    You'll be done with the realistic look when it's over with. Just wait for the Uncanny Valley.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I don't believe The Sims will ever be uber realistic, so I'm not too worried about "uncanny valley". I definitely wouldn't mind an art style similar to the look of TS3's world, environment, and textures. Coming from TS3, the look of TS4 was a huge shock for me and I've never embraced it. I have never liked the clay hair, at all. As a matter of fact, for probably the first 4 years, I did everything within my power to make the game not be so cartoony, from default texture replacements of grass, trees, rocks, water, roads and sidewalks, indoor/outdoor lighting mods, floors, walls, and door replacements just to get rid of the Barbie feel of the game.
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I imagine we get an official announcement in 2022 or 2023. I hope they stay with the stylized look 😭 but if its keeping to the pattern TS1 - realistic, TS2 - stylized, TS3 - realistic, TS4 - stylized we know what's next :'(

I dont like alpha CC and look exclusively for maxis match stuff, even when getting cc for TS2